PDA

View Full Version : Animal Spirits

Christopherpenczak
July 18th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Hi Everybody,

I would love to have a conversation about people's totem animals - the ones they work with, the ones they want to work with, what experiences they have had and why the decided to work with particular animals.

One of my primary animal spirits is the spider. I write about my spider experiences in my books, but recently got new information on spider. While at the Heartland Pagan Festival, doing their Vision Quest walk, the crone at the end of the vision quest, a woman who invoked a goddess to give advice to those who walk the path, said to me:

"You know spider. You know spider well, don't you? You know how to weave, how to wait, and how to get what you want. You know patience. But you don't know a secret of the spider's web. You don't know how to use it as a spring board to jump into the next phase of your life? Learn it." and then guided me out of the maze and out into the world.

So I've been thinking a bit about spider.

Some traditions believe you should reveal your totem animal, but i think it's much like talking about magick, if you are talking with people who are in harmony with it, then it' s ok, but that's just my opinion. If you'd like to share your thoughts about animal spirits, I'd love to hear about them.

Blessed be,

Christopher

~Elise~
July 18th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I work with quite a few...the major ones are Wolf (been with me since I started on the pagan path), & White Tiger, (been with me since birth). Oh, least I forget, Owl (short-eared owl is the one I work with) and Raven/Crow, (been with me for about 5 years...since my claiming by Morrigan)

there are animals that come and go as lessons are taught and learned and messages received, as well.

Elise

Yasmine Galenorn
July 18th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Hi Christopher. One of my NF books (Totem Magic) is about totem magic and working with animal spirits. I approach the subject--and always have--from a shamanic, experiential point of view. I tend to feel that we are our own best explorers when learning what our spirit guides/totems are, and I make it a point never to tell someone what I think their totems are--in my 'tradition' (if you want to call it that), one must walk the path alone to discover these mysteries. Vision and insight sometimes take many years, sometimes happen in the blink of an eye.

For me, the whole matter is internalized to the point of being inseparable from my totem spirits--they are part of me, I am part of them. I do wear them on my body in tattoo form, but when strangers ask about them, I generally just say, "Yes, they have a spiritual significance."

Yasmine :colorful:

Whitewolf
July 24th, 2005, 06:13 AM
My main totem animal is Wolf. Also I'm starting to believe Horse and Raven could be as well. I have been part of a shamanic journey circle. That was the first time I journeyed to find my animal totem.

Lezli
July 25th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Hey there, Christopher! The two animals I have been working with in meditaiton/astral projection work have been goat and hawk. Goat has been showing me that I need to listen and pay attention, never discounting the input of others. My particular goat spends a great deal of time in the meadow around my "inner temple." Hawk seems to be more focused on showing me magickal possibilities, including shapeshifting and contact with deity. It's been about 2 years now since I became serious about meditating very regularly (while following your Temple series) and I continue to be amazed at my experiences.
I want to thank you for writing so prolifically. I look forward to your books, and have been using them as reference material and textbooks in some of my classes. I'd like to take a class with you some time soon -- I'll have to pop over to the east coast and say Howdy!
Thanks again,
Lezli

Christopherpenczak
July 27th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Hi Yasmine,

So nice to see you here! Thanks.

I agree. I never really tell people what their totems are in my opinion. Somtimes I have guesses, and often find myself connecting with others of my totems, but I think it's a personal experience too. Sometimes in reading an animal spirit will come up, and I will talk about that, but i never assume or say it is a primary totem animal. I suggest the person go out and explore the totems on their own or with a teacher, but say that this animal, in this reading, is offering you some message, would you like to hear it?

My next tattoo is of five coins on an arm band, with images of my five main totems. Where do you have your tattos, if you don't mind me asking. I just got my first tattoo last year and found it a powerful and initiatory experience for me.

Thanks again.

many blessings,

Christopher

Christopherpenczak
July 27th, 2005, 12:27 PM
wolf shows up a lot in people around me, and now in this forum. How interesting. I've always had wolf on the periphery, but not a lot of direct contact. My first teacher taught me that wolf was about protection, while others since have said I have wolf because I'm a teacher, though like Yasmine, I'm not sure when people tell you your totem animal. I've seen wolf a lot in visions, but not had a lot of direct communication or experience.

BB,

Christopher

Christopherpenczak
July 27th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I want to thank you for writing so prolifically. I look forward to your books, and have been using them as reference material and textbooks in some of my classes. I'd like to take a class with you some time soon -- I'll have to pop over to the east coast and say Howdy!
Thanks again,
Lezli

Hi Lezli,

I just wanted to let you know I travel quite a bit and do workshops everywhere, and looking to do more weekend intensives. You can see my travel schedule on my website, and I'll be making announcements on this form too... next stops, Minneapolis and Indianapolis.

If you have a store that would like to host a weekend intensive, and there are enough people interested in it to make it feasible for everybody involved, have your store contact me. torcboy@aol.com

Blessings,

Christopher

~Elise~
July 27th, 2005, 12:38 PM
wolf shows up a lot in people around me, and now in this forum. How interesting. I've always had wolf on the periphery, but not a lot of direct contact. My first teacher taught me that wolf was about protection, while others since have said I have wolf because I'm a teacher, though like Yasmine, I'm not sure when people tell you your totem animal. I've seen wolf a lot in visions, but not had a lot of direct communication or experience.

BB,

Christopher

I also teach...hadn't connected wolf in that sense. I've learned lots from wolf. my group is structured more like a wolf pack then a traditional coven.
Even had a wolf show up to me in real life in the middle of town...one of the freakiest things I've ever seen.

Elise

Yasmine Galenorn
July 28th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Hi Yasmine,

So nice to see you here! Thanks.

I agree. I never really tell people what their totems are in my opinion. Somtimes I have guesses, and often find myself connecting with others of my totems, but I think it's a personal experience too. Sometimes in reading an animal spirit will come up, and I will talk about that, but i never assume or say it is a primary totem animal. I suggest the person go out and explore the totems on their own or with a teacher, but say that this animal, in this reading, is offering you some message, would you like to hear it?

My next tattoo is of five coins on an arm band, with images of my five main totems. Where do you have your tattos, if you don't mind me asking. I just got my first tattoo last year and found it a powerful and initiatory experience for me.

Thanks again.

many blessings,

Christopher

Hey Christopher...nice to "meet" you!

I have so many tattoos it's hard to list them all, so here's the link to my tattoo page on my site: http://www.galenorn.com/greenwood/yasmine/

My totems are the black panther, the green boa, and the male peacock. The other tattoos are connected to my gods.

In 1998, I got three of them--the one on my breast was first, and while it's focus in the panther, my other two totems--boa and peacock--were included. The foxglove is connected to the faerie magic I work with, and the toadstools were used in shamanic visionquests by shamans in the Finno-Ugric traditions, where my path takes it's inclination from. BTW: for those reading, fly agaric is poisonous and shouldn't be used in ritual...at least not internally. And be careful with using foxglove--even the pollen can cause problems if you aren't careful, it has a natural form of digitalis in it.

The second tattoo was the boa and flowers on my right forearm, and the third, the peacock down my leg.

The next year, I got my bind runes for my God and Goddess--those are on the top of my shoulders (I wear their yoke on me). I also got the first parts of both upper arm tattoos--the stag skull with bow/arrow/rose are for the darker side of my lady, who is the Finnish huntress Mielikki. The wolves in front of the moon are for Tapio, her consort and my lord.

After that, I had the panthers and eyes added to the left arm, and the reindeer, violets, and foliage added to the right. The reindeer are for Tapio.

Then last year, I had Bear put on my left forearm. Bear was a long time coming and warned me she would be heavy magic, and she is. The Finnish religion was part of the great Eurasian Bear Cult, and Bear is the major totem for the entire belief system. (And according to legend, Mielikki created the bear, but Ukko-Jumala, the father-patron of the pantheon, gave it its teeth after it promised not to use them for evil).

Eventually, I have an entire back piece I want done, and it will incorporate the moon, stars, vines, and a huge peacock. I may also eventually be getting a unicorn (I saw one many years ago right before I was pulled into the Craft by the Goddess), and a dragon--I work with a dragon spirit and have for several years. The back piece will join the bind runes on my shoulders.

Lezli
July 29th, 2005, 09:56 AM
If you have a store that would like to host a weekend intensive, and there are enough people interested in it to make it feasible for everybody involved, have your store contact me. torcboy@aol.com

Thanks, Christopher. I'd like to pursue that idea. About how many class attendees should I be shooting for as I feel out whether this is feasible for my area? (Which is Scottsdale/Phoenix, by the way.) And hey, no camping, I promise. LOL
Namaste,
Lezli

Lezli
July 29th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Yasmine,
I really like the way you've encorporated bind runes into your tatoos. They can be so useful, those little runes. ;) They are what drew me to the path originally, some ten years ago. It's nice to run across others who appreciate their gifts and have found exciting ways to make them a vtal part of their lives. Gracious, I find meeting new people inspiring. Thank you for sharing.
Namaste,
Lezli

BrigidMoon
July 29th, 2005, 10:03 AM
When I first learned about animal spirits or totems, I was about 25. I was in a very confusing place as a new mother. I had never been online much before and it was part of my life then. I learned from chatting with other people about them. I thought you'd only have one animal totem guide but as I learned from experience time that's not true.

Who am I attached to? I used to be a peaceful dove but now, a raven. That changed 3 years ago when my life yet again took another turn. That's also when I learned about my path as well! I have always been attached to wolves. I am a parent and a teacher of course. You mention spiders and I've always been afraid of them. They always seemed to find me though! About 2 years ago I noticed this trend and figured out that at times we need to have the spider with us as well.

These are the 3 dominant ones. However, I had a vision with the fox recently and not sure what to make of it.

Yasmine Galenorn
July 30th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Yasmine,
I really like the way you've encorporated bind runes into your tatoos. They can be so useful, those little runes. ;) They are what drew me to the path originally, some ten years ago. It's nice to run across others who appreciate their gifts and have found exciting ways to make them a vtal part of their lives. Gracious, I find meeting new people inspiring. Thank you for sharing.
Namaste,
Lezli

Wearing runes in body art can be pretty intense. My blood-oath sister is pledged to Frejya, and she's studied Asatru for quite awhile. The runes do demand to be fed. I promised them, when I had them put in my peacock on my leg (which came before I had the bind runes inked), that I would feed them with expensive body lotion. When I forget, the next time I go to shave my legs and arms, I inevitably nick my skin. The first time it happened, as I watched the blood flow over the runes, I understood--if I don't follow through, they'll feed themselves. LOL

Lezli
August 1st, 2005, 08:28 PM
Wearing runes in body art can be pretty intense. My blood-oath sister is pledged to Frejya, and she's studied Asatru for quite awhile. The runes do demand to be fed. I promised them, when I had them put in my peacock on my leg (which came before I had the bind runes inked), that I would feed them with expensive body lotion. When I forget, the next time I go to shave my legs and arms, I inevitably nick my skin. The first time it happened, as I watched the blood flow over the runes, I understood--if I don't follow through, they'll feed themselves. LOL

Wow... I've worn bind runes in henna for a few special occaisions, and found even that to be a bit intense. I guess you don't often forget the lotion before shaving! LOL :tub:
Lezli

Yasmine Galenorn
August 2nd, 2005, 03:22 PM
Wow... I've worn bind runes in henna for a few special occaisions, and found even that to be a bit intense. I guess you don't often forget the lotion before shaving! LOL :tub:
Lezli

Actually, it's after...to soothe the skin. And no, :) I don't forget anymore!

Mickie Mueller
August 8th, 2005, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=Christopherpenczak]Hi Everybody,

I would love to have a conversation about people's totem animals - the ones they work with, the ones they want to work with, what experiences they have had and why the decided to work with particular animals. [QUOTE]

Hi Christopher,

I mostly work with Hawk and Bear. Hawk was my first, I was in a coven and asked to teach a class on spirit animals, which I didn't know much about, and I discovered Hawk in a meditation while I was doing research for the class. I see physical hawks a lot here in Missouri. Sometimes I know, it's just a hawk, but sometimes I get a very strong feeling that there is a message and I listen until it comes.

Bear came in a dream, and has been a wonderful source of strength when facing difficult situations, Bear helps me with healings as well, the dream where I discovered Bear involved healing, as well as a Hawk feather. These two seem to work in tandum for me.

A spirit animal that I would like to work with more is Horse. I have an affinity with Rhiannon, and while I have recieved messages from her birds, the Horse is something of a reclaiming for me. Like many young girls, I had a facination with horses as a child, drawing them constantly. I feel that I won't have a real connection with Horse until I go riding, and that will require me to take a little "me" time. Since this is a difficult for me to do, perhaps this is the lesson Horse has for me! Hmmm.

Blessings!

Mickie

Christopherpenczak
August 14th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Thanks Yasmine. Your ink is quite inspiring! Hope our paths cross in the flesh someday soon.

Blessings,

Christopher

Aidron
October 4th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Mmm, tattoos and totem animals, two of my favorite topics. Though perhaps I need to quit planning out all the ink I want to have done on me and go get some done. Typical libran, sit around thinking things through until before you know it, it's a whole new decade. [smirks]

If I'm not careful though I'm sure I'll end up with enough ink to make even Yasmine look as though she's afraid of the needle. [grins]

I for the most part have three totem animals, with a few other animals playing an important role or popping up in my life from time to time. Dogs seemed to try and get me off to a rough start in life, always attacking me (have a crescent scar on my right hand where my thumb was nearly torn off by glass I was knocked back onto). Despite that, I adore dogs and do not care for cats in the least... [waits to see if Yasmine will faint in horror]. ;)

Moths and butterflies show up around the clock for me, particularly if I am communing with or thinking of Hekate. I even have a picture of a butterfly resting in my palms, though I personally am not a fan of butterfly 'things' (i.e. merchandise) in the least and I did used to catch them in my hands incessantly as a child and talk to them, only to release them some time later.

But neither dogs nor butterflies are totems of mine. My main totem animal, much to my disgust many, many years ago, is the raven. It took me awhile to embrace it, but it stands out as the most prominent and influencial of all my totems, and the most reflective of my personality. I'm inherently very manipulative (gotta love us librans...) and rarely are my creative problem solving skills bested, coupled with the fact that I can be quite twisted and demented... it's an easy picture to paint (just make sure to use Crayola, it's the best!).

The armadillo would likely be next in terms of influence, since I am extremely self-protective and cautious by nature. He tends to reflect my easily frightened and "I wanna hide!" side when a perceived threat emerges and is most definitely where I get my innate sense of comedy from given how hysterically awkard it always is in visions.

Last would be the tiger shark, which was a bit more of a puzzle than the others to discern and definitely represents my aggressive, vengeful scorpio moon. It tends to counter-balance the armadillo, in that it is strike first, ask questions later, but it also reflects the fact that I am a human garbage disposal (I do not have a sophisticated pallete, I'll eat anything and stay 120lbs. to the amazement of all), since tiger sharks are pretty much referred to as the garbage disposals of the sea, with just about everything imaginable being found in their stomachs.

With that said I (obviously...) do not have a problem discussing my totem animals, but typically when it comes to very personal things of that nature with me I simply don't discuss it because I feel there is no great need or great desire on my part for them to know, so naturally I come off by default a lot of times as secretive (there's that scorpio moon again, everyone please raise your hands in a salute).

dragoncrone
October 21st, 2005, 03:56 PM
Cats. A lifetime of cats.
And the Dragon.
Dragons...after 25 years of research I am convinced of their existence in ancient times...and my fascination with them for the past nearly-three decades has set me on the magical quirky path that is now my life.

MariThorn
October 21st, 2005, 05:36 PM
I know the one's that I "drew" from Medicine Cards . . . and while they do show up from time to time in my life they are not my main two. My first one is the Mountain Lion . . . all my life I was attracted to cats, and they to me. Once I began consciously to study this Path, I clarified cats down to the Mountain Lion. It is my character and I find it guiding me when I need it. The second is the Raven, which made it's appearance when I dedicated myself to the Morrigan/ The Great Mother.

Yasmine Galenorn
October 21st, 2005, 11:39 PM
If I'm not careful though I'm sure I'll end up with enough ink to make even Yasmine look as though she's afraid of the needle. [grins]

Riiighhht....you have a long, long ways to catch up with me....~grins~

Despite that, I adore dogs and do not care for cats in the least... [waits to see if Yasmine will faint in horror]. ;)

I knew this already by your comments, my dear. So no, no fainting in horror, just understanding that not everyone understands the feline mind and way...it's a lifestyle as well as a love. :p (But if you come in my house, the rule is that "the cats live here, you do not" therefore, anybody not respecting my cats gets the boot).

so naturally I come off by default a lot of times as secretive (there's that scorpio moon again, everyone please raise your hands in a salute).

LOL...my moon and Mercury are in Aquarius...I'm pretty open about stuff if I want to be but the triple goat in my chart says, if I don't want to talk about something, don't EVEN bother.

That said, your animal connections are interesting, and I can see them all, though the armidillo surprised me (they seem timid to me, and you do not).

Huggles,

Darkstaff
November 7th, 2005, 06:00 PM
My personal totem is Squirrel. He has taught me to be prepared, and to always take life in a not so serious way. To have fun. To feel the earth and be in tune with my abilities.

Squirrel appeared to me in trance one day, when I received an acorn from Oak. This was represented as an "ordinary" acorn. I was very thankful to Oak. I then saw squirrel who traded me the "ordinary" acorn for one made of gold. He has been with me ever since! I feel very blessed by Squirrel's presence.

I have also felt a strong tie to Wolf, Bear, and Eagle. They are sort of on the periphery, but they help me quite often, and are there when I need them.

The Spirit of Dragon I feel has also called to me, but as of yet, I have not really gone after it. I feel I need to be a lot more in tune, before Dragon can help me. I know I am worthy, I just don't think I am ready.

That's my totems!

Darkstaff

Aidron
November 11th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Riiighhht....you have a long, long ways to catch up with me....~grins~

Yeah, but I'm young. Who knows, maybe in 50 years, if you've passed on I'll be screaming as I get my 47th tattoo "Hey look, Yasmine! I finally have more than you did! Bwahahaha!" That or "Good gods, the pain never lessens! I think I'll get one more after this... ow!"

I knew this already by your comments, my dear. So no, no fainting in horror, just understanding that not everyone understands the feline mind and way...it's a lifestyle as well as a love. :p (But if you come in my house, the rule is that "the cats live here, you do not" therefore, anybody not respecting my cats gets the boot).

I don't mind other people's cats, kinda like I don't mind other people's children. (Well, until they start throwing things in a grocery store at me.)

LOL...my moon and Mercury are in Aquarius...I'm pretty open about stuff if I want to be but the triple goat in my chart says, if I don't want to talk about something, don't EVEN bother.

That said, your animal connections are interesting, and I can see them all, though the armidillo surprised me (they seem timid to me, and you do not).

Huggles,

I am actually very timid about some things and as a child I was horribly timid as I was perpetually afraid of getting in trouble (so I always did what I thought grown-ups expected of me... plus everything scared me... everything). Now I just tend to hide my timidness a lot or play it off so well that no one would ever believe I'm timid at all. At the end of the day though, my biggest concern is protecting myself in all aspects.

Danu Brigid Sulla
November 12th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Hi Christopher!
I've also been studying and working with animal spirits for 5 or 6 years. I do believe that I have 7 life-long animals that help me on my personal path.(Badger in the East, Moose in the South, Dragonfly in the West, Whale in the North, Dolphin in the Above, Swan in the Below, and Frog within). But I've also had encounters with numerous other animals through dreams.
Animals come to me because I need to learn something. One of my latest dreams was about a wolf. Before that, it was a Jaguar. I can still feel/sense the wolf spirit with me, even now. Spider has been a guide as well. Spider, for me, represents creativity in written form. She is thought of as the feminine side of the Creative Source and was thought to bring us the written language by forming letters with her web. (It is a dream of mine to someday write a book-fiction or non-fiction, adult or children's book....I don't know yet). It's been a while since I've opened up my creativity so spider hasn't come around lately.
I think I've dreamed about every animal that I know to exist at this point.
Let's see, there's been elephants, lions, cougars, black panthers, crocodiles or aligators, snakes, spiders, wolves, jaguars, domestic cats and dogs, bears, rabbits, owls, deer,...the list goes on and on.
I try to keep a record of animals that show up in my dreams and try to learn whatever lesson they have for me.
I don't know if this makes any sense or not. This has just been my personal experience so far.
Many Blessings,
Danu Brigid Sulla

Christopherpenczak
November 24th, 2005, 12:21 AM
wow. Lots of spider people in my life and show up interseted in my books or classes. We must be gathering together the spider people.

Happy Thanksgiving folks!

Christopher

Cradoc
November 28th, 2005, 01:33 AM
I follow the Asatru path but would very much like to find my totem spirits. How would I go about this?

Silver Ivy
November 28th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Moths and butterflies show up around the clock for me, particularly if I am communing with or thinking of Hekate. I even have a picture of a butterfly resting in my palms, though I personally am not a fan of butterfly 'things' (i.e. merchandise) in the least and I did used to catch them in my hands incessantly as a child and talk to them, only to release them some time later.

This is really interesting ... I have always felt really drawn to Hecate, and I also have butterflies around me all the time!! Perhaps there is a connection there??

Anyway, I believe one of my totem animals to be the Whale/Orca ... which I have always found a little strange - I am not a watery person at all (sun and moon in earth sings), and I'm this really small person ... so it's like there my opposite. I have not learned to work with them though, but hopefully I will learn over time :)

Christopherpenczak
November 28th, 2005, 05:29 PM
HI Cradoc,

Well, usually you do a shamanic journey with the intention of finding your totem animal. I have a series of exercises outlined in my Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft book. You often find certain divities associated with particular animals, such as Freya with falcons and cats, so if you have a connection to a particular divinity, you might find that will influence the totems in your life. But not always. Sometimes your totems are not the same as the ones associated with your chosen or patron goddesses and gods.

Cradoc
November 28th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Thank you for the info. I will look up your book and see what I see. :-)

Cradoc

Whitewolf
December 13th, 2005, 05:58 PM
I also believe that one of my totems is a Unicorn. Yes, I said Unicorn. Another great book on Totem Animals is "Animal Speak" by Ted Andrews. I have this book and I highly recommend it.

-Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

Christopherpenczak
December 23rd, 2005, 12:56 AM
Hey Jessica,

One of my very good friends works closely with Unicorn. I know a lot of pagans look at the mythic creatures as not "real" totems, but I think there is a lot of validity to mythic creatures. Another student of mine made cards based on the medicine of mythic creatures. Dragons, unicorns and griffons can all make amazing allies if they make their presence known to you.

Blessings,

Christopher

Aidron
January 1st, 2006, 10:32 PM
This is really interesting ... I have always felt really drawn to Hecate, and I also have butterflies around me all the time!! Perhaps there is a connection there??

Butterflies being associated with Hekate, as far as I know, is a modern association... perhaps a very limited one as well. There is a moth that's scientific name is one of her epithets, Enodia, seen here: http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/distr/lepid/bflynd/nd/134.htm

Moths would be a stronger association in my mind, since like butterflies they form cocoons (or most to my knowledge do), which reflects transformation (deeply linked to Hekate), but are drawn to light and fire unlike butterflies, and Hekate is the torch-bearer, bringer of light and a guide.

But yes, there could be a connection. The butterfly that came to me which I have a picture of resting in the palm of my hands, came to me at a point of deep transformation in my life, so it could be reflective of continual transformation you undergo (if you continually seem to go through one grand transformation after another).

Yasmine Galenorn
January 2nd, 2006, 01:27 AM
I also believe that one of my totems is a Unicorn. Yes, I said Unicorn. Another great book on Totem Animals is "Animal Speak" by Ted Andrews. I have this book and I highly recommend it.

-Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

I firmly believe that Otherworldly creatures can be totems. Wrote a chapter about it in my book Totem Magic--you'd be surprised how many letters I get from people who work with unicorns and dragons, and a few other odd beasties.

Aidron
January 2nd, 2006, 11:00 AM
I firmly believe that Otherworldly creatures can be totems. Wrote a chapter about it in my book Totem Magic--you'd be surprised how many letters I get from people who work with unicorns and dragons, and a few other odd beasties.

I concur. Totem, defined, is an emblem or representation that is venerated. Why would there be a limit on what represents the soul of a person or group of people? I can't imagine there would.

Ravenna Angellin
March 1st, 2006, 01:53 AM
My grandmother used to always joke when I was younger that I have the tongue of a viper. Which sadly is still very true at times (that would be my Scorpio coming out in full force). Imagine my not-surprise when I discovered that Rattlesnake was my totem. I like pythons... but have never been much of a fan of vipers of any kind, they scare me, actually. My uncle used to own a rattlesnake, thing still had its venom sacs. I only saw it feed once. Not very pleasant. He also has a ball python named Clarence (8 ft now, and 10 years old), and a red-tail boa named Aleister (named for THAT Aleister and for good reason). Aleister was 11 1/2 ft. at his last measurement 4 1/2 years ago... much bigger now.

My family also has bald eagle as our totem. He appears to us all whenever something good happens to the family. Hawk shows up from time to time as well.

And cats. I've loved cats. And a songbird, whose species I am still puzzled over. Same size as a chickadee, looks like a chickadee, but it's NOT a chickadee. It's yellow, has a beautiful song, and it's not a goldfinch. I'll discover it eventually.

My oldest boy also has a totem which I've seen. He has a panther. Used to call it his big black kittie, heehee. We had a series of unpleasant encounters with an old Craft acquaintance of mine a couple of years ago, and Panther came to protect my son. I actually went to check on him one night and could literally see the physical indentation of a large cat on the bed curled up by his feet. Very interesting experience to say the least.

Anyway, that's what we've got in our family.

~ Ravenna Angelline