PDA

View Full Version : Orris Root, Patchouli, Vervain...

Isa
July 20th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Hey guys .... Geez it's been so long :D

Anyway I'm working on this little spell and went to the magick store today to pick up some supplies. While I was there I ended up picking up some herbs I do not normally use and after trolling around for information about the appropriate uses (incense, brews, charms etc) for about an hour I finally got smart and figured I'd better look here XD

Normally I use herbs straight from my spice cabinet ... which conveniently can be safely used for just about anything ^_^;;; But these three I do not work with very often so any information you can give about proper handling would be great. My sources listed Orris root, for example, as "may be poisonous, handle with care" but then fail to elaborate on what that means @_@

So for Orris Root, Patchouli and Vervain I'd like to know:

* Are they safe for brews, teas, bath mixtures
* Can they be used on the skin or will they cause irritation
* Is it safe to burn them
* If unsafe, please elaborate to what degree. Everything is poisonous if you consume enough of it.
* Any other important tips :D

~Elise~
July 20th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Do not ingest orris root, but the others are safe to burn, drink, etc. I wouldn't put more than a tsp. in a cup of tea.

I wouldn't put orris root in a bath, either.

JMO and YMMV

Elise

SoulHealer
July 21st, 2005, 02:21 AM
True orris is generally expensive - most that is sold is adulterated or synthetic. It is i bit dodgy internally (espeically large doses)

The others are generally safe

Isa
July 21st, 2005, 04:40 PM
*nods* thanks guys, this really makes me want to do some serious research and put together a detailed collection of information on herbs

~*Ginger*~
July 21st, 2005, 05:09 PM
Be sure to use our search engine here, there's a wealth of info on lots of subjects.