PDA

View Full Version : Fish Heads

Lavender
November 6th, 2001, 03:57 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows how to prepare fishheads for stew or chowder? Don't go EWWW! :rolleyes:

I looked in all my recipe books & not one of them uses fish heads. I mean, do you just throw the whole head in??? Hubby caught a couple of salmons last week. We've eaten the fish but I have the heads in the freezer. If I can't use them, let me know & I'll throw them out.

Faery-Wings
November 6th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Fish heads fish heads, roly poly fish heads. Fish heads, fish heads, eat them up Yum!

OK, I am sorry but your subject line just made that "song" come into my head. Anyone remember that one from way back.:rolleyes: :D

I think I have a cook book that has a recipe in it for stock- I know I have heard of saving all of the shells from shrimp and all for stock too. I'll check in a bit and post back.

Chris

Faery-Wings
November 6th, 2001, 08:50 AM
One calls for backbones and skins, the other calls for "fish frames." ( leave it to Martha Stewart to be so PC :D) No fish heads tho'.

Do you want either of them? Let me know and I can post them.

Chris

Lavender
November 8th, 2001, 03:43 AM
Fish frames?? *looking around for confused smilie* Can I have that recipe? Sounds like it's pretty close. Thanks, Chryss!

UnSolon
November 8th, 2001, 03:53 AM
Well fish heads dont have too much flesh left on them... but yes you can use them.

Actually many of the native tribs around where I'm from (Vancouver Island) consider them to be the best part of the fish... or so I'm told.

I suppose the most common and easiest way to cook them would be to simply boil them. Much the same as you might boil turkey bones, but you can also eat the flesh from the heads. I'm told that the eyes are extreamly delicious.

p.s. Yes, I do remember that song.

Swanspirit
November 8th, 2001, 03:57 AM
FISH HEAD CHOWDER ....I found this on a web page...... and they also said that Salmon were the best for choder because they have enough fat and the flavor is inthe fat :>
ENJOY.... and let us know how it turns out...

Contributed by: Margaret Rucker

1 large King Salmon head,

cleaned and cut up (fresh)

Water to cover

2 cups raw rice

6 medium potatoes cut in chunks

Large bunch fresh washed and

chopped turnip greens

One large coarsely chopped onion

Lots of salt to taste

Boil head about 3/4 of an

hour, and then add other ingredients

except potatoes. Add potatoes

and cook until done.
Love and Light
Swannie

Lavender
November 8th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the info & recipe, everyone! I've made chowder before but never with fish heads. Wasn't sure if I need to do anything special with them first. I'll give it a try this weekend. The fish were caught on Sun & the heads are in my freezer.

UnSolon, I've heard that about salmon heads as well. The cheeks are considered a delicacy. :)

Faery-Wings
November 9th, 2001, 05:40 PM
3 pounds fish frames
2 cups dry white wine
3 bay leaves
3 stems fresh parsley
sprig of fresh thyme
1 teaspoon salt
8 cups cold water

Combine the ingredients in a non reactive stockpot. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes. Skim off any froth, then strain through two layers of cheesecloth.
Cool then freeze in 1 cup containers for future use.

UnSolon
November 9th, 2001, 07:15 PM
"Fish Frames"

That sounds REALLY sinister to me. Why cant that women just say FISH BONES, or something. Fish Frames? Ack. Makes them sound like its something some artisan put together to hold the fish together. "Would you like gold fish frame, or just the regular model of gristle and fat?".... "Can I get XP202 fish frame down to the processing line!"

Lavender
November 10th, 2001, 01:32 AM
:lol:

UnSolon, that was what my hubby was just saying when I read him the recipe! I have never ever heard of the bones being referred to as "fish frames" before. Thanks for all the great recipes!

Totally OT here! I remember watching an episode where she GREW the grass that she was going to roast her Easter lamb on! :rolleyes:

Laiste
November 10th, 2001, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by chryssi1
Fish heads fish heads, roly poly fish heads. Fish heads, fish heads, eat them up Yum!

OK, I am sorry but your subject line just made that "song" come into my head. Anyone remember that one from way back.:rolleyes: :D

I think I have a cook book that has a recipe in it for stock- I know I have heard of saving all of the shells from shrimp and all for stock too. I'll check in a bit and post back.

Chris

OMG..that song...:lol: :rotfl: :rotfl: Sorry I'm OT here...but that's what went through my head when I saw this post!! don't eat fish so I can't help!!

Hope
November 11th, 2001, 03:44 PM
I know this is off topis and not what you asked for BUT... I am going to say it any way. My mom always took the fish heads (my dad was big on fishing) and buried them under the roses and peony bushes. They provided great ... well something. Her bushes always stood out!!

love
hope

UnSolon
November 11th, 2001, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Hope
I know this is off topis and not what you asked for BUT... I am going to say it any way. My mom always took the fish heads (my dad was big on fishing) and buried them under the roses and peony bushes. They provided great ... well something. Her bushes always stood out!!

love
hope

That reminded me of another memory from my past.

My youngest sister was born at home, it was an experience I will never forget... watching a new life come into the world.

Afterwards my mother buried my sisters placenta under a rose bush in our back yard. Another tradition from somewhere way back. Oh, and by the way, my sisters name is ROSE.

Peace

Faery-Wings
November 12th, 2001, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by UnSolon
"Fish Frames"

That sounds REALLY sinister to me. Why cant that women just say FISH BONES, or something. Fish Frames? Ack. Makes them sound like its something some artisan put together to hold the fish together. "Would you like gold fish frame, or just the regular model of gristle and fat?".... "Can I get XP202 fish frame down to the processing line!"

ROTF!
:rotfl:

*gasp*
:rotfl: :rotfl:

Chris