PDA

View Full Version : magickal encyclopedias

Angelwulfe
November 6th, 2001, 12:25 PM
i've been seeing all these encylcopedias on wicca and witchcraft i was wondedering which ones were good. i have the abc of witchcraft by doreen valiente which i like but is mostly history. i also love cunnighams encylopedias of herbs and gem stones.

seawitch
November 6th, 2001, 10:31 PM
i really like barbara walkers womens encyclopedia of myths and secerets, and her dictionary of symbols and sacred objects
also rosemary ellen guiley's the encyclopedia of witches and witchcraft
hope these help

loopy
November 7th, 2001, 01:05 AM
I have Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Incense, Oils, and Brews...er, or whatever the exact title is. :) I use it mainly for reference, though I can't vouch for any of the mixes, as all the ones he seems to use most frequently, I don't have. :(

Dagda Moon~Lily
November 25th, 2001, 03:49 PM
While I was in Florida at the Autumn Meet 2001, I met and sat in on a workshop by Trish Telesco. She's fasinating to sit and talk to and a wealth of knowledge! So, I purchased her book, "The Magick of Folk Wisdom".....and of course she signed it for me. ;) (I also bought her Magical Cookbook!)

The book has sections on: Amulets and Talismans, Animals and Insects, Birds, Body Divination, Celestial Objects, Color, Crystals, Gems and Metals, Dance, Dreams, The Elements, Faeries, Gardening and Faming, Health and Medicine, Holidays, Kitchen and Household Lore, Knots, Luck, Magic and Supernatural, Mirrors, Miscellaneous, Numbers, Personal Care, Plants, Pregnancy and Children, Relationships, Sacred Sites, The Sea, Sounds, Trees, Bushes, and Woods, Weather Lore.

It's just a nice generalized book to give you a bit of knowledge on basics. :D

Myst
November 25th, 2001, 04:17 PM
The best encyclopedia is the Magician's Companion - it has info from various Pagan beliefs, myths, and practices, from the kaballah to herb craft to chakras to numerology to myth, etc. etc. etc.

Niamh
November 26th, 2001, 09:42 PM
I like all of Cunningham's encyclopedias. I like Guileys, too. Someone came out with one either late 2000/early 2001 called THe Encyclopedia of Wicca and Witchcraft... but I can't remember who wrote it <bad librarian! bad!>

MammaStar
November 28th, 2001, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Myst
The best encyclopedia is the Magician's Companion - it has info from various Pagan beliefs, myths, and practices, from the kaballah to herb craft to chakras to numerology to myth, etc. etc. etc.

Who's that by Myst? I'd like to go & pick that one up. :D