PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver Help

StormChaser
November 6th, 2001, 06:52 PM
HI... Due to problems with security i recently switched from Front Page to Dreamweaver.. suffice it to say I am COMPLETELY lost.

If anyone can help me out on AIM or something I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks In Advanced,
Storm Chaser

AIM: StareyedUnicorn

Armitage
November 7th, 2001, 02:05 AM
What do you need to know? I'm rarely on AIM, but there's a chance...I'm on there as AmiTenshii.

Aengus McTeague
November 7th, 2001, 02:57 AM
Congrats on the switch!:D Once you get the hang of Dreamweaver, you'll wonder why you waited so long to make the move. IMO, it's THE best editor on the planet. It can be a little confusing and overwhelming at first, though.....all those damn windows...yikes!

Here's a couple of good tutorials.

http://www.iboost.com/build/software/dw/tutorial/786.htm

http://www.stylusinc.net/articles/dreamweaver_tutorial.shtml

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/authoring/tools/tutorials/tutorial1.html

I don't do AIM, but if you want to PM me I'd be happy to see if I could help with basic/intermidiate stuff.

BB,
Aengus

Myst
November 7th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Wish I could help you but I wouldn't be caught dead using wysiwyg editors :D

amberlaine
November 7th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Bah!

Geek snobs. Gotta love em :p

I use Dreamweaver, and when it doesn't do what I wnat it to do, then i hand code. but I hate hand coding, so I avoid it wherever possible. (And the nice thing about DW4 is the split screen mode between wysiwyg and acutal code--makes switching between th two so fast and easy. I love that program.

Radocs
November 7th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Gotta agree with Myst... I can't stand editors. I always get a kick out of just doing a page on notepad. ^_^

Myst
November 7th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by amberlaine
Geek snobs. Gotta love em :p

I use Dreamweaver, and when it doesn't do what I wnat it to do, then i hand code. but I hate hand coding, so I avoid it wherever possible.

hehe

I should mention that programming is my career/life so yes I love hand coding. :)

amberlaine
November 7th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Yes, i knew that about you. I don't understand it but I knew it :p

Hand coding=Satan

Myst
November 7th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Hand coding=Satan

Nuh uh.

mol = Satan

remember :)

amberlaine
November 7th, 2001, 01:40 PM
ahh true.

but Mol likes hand coding, too.

Hmm....the plot thickens....

evilslinkycat
November 8th, 2001, 07:29 AM
ahh true.

:rotfl:

Anyway, Dreamweaver is a good program, and I do like the fact that you can do the split screen thingie. some of us are not code junkies ;)
Stormchaser, pm me and I'll see if I can help you out with it.

Myst
November 8th, 2001, 09:19 AM
ahh true.

Just a hands on kinda demon.

StormChaser
November 8th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Okay your all weirdos *laughs*

No seriously. My mind isn't awake yet, but when it does I'll start the pming process. prior to that ill remember the problems i am having now..

I hate the fact that whenever i want to work on a new page or open another page it opens a the page in a new window. That drives me NUTS. I doubt theres anyway to fix that, but if there is i'd like to know.

I don't know how to create a frame on this program.. I stink at coding, but i can do it if someone walks me through what i am typing doing..

Hey does anyone live in jersey? I'll pay for pizza?!

I have the book. I'm just not a regregetator *thats what we called it in school when the teachers just handed you a book and said theres a test on friday* Aside from that the book is not written in comprehensive terms for the small mind.. which would be me.

Lets see other problems.. How to create a table coding or non.

It's funny, the features the program does have that work at teh touch of a button, i know the code for or can do my dragging something into the box. So they seem incredibly useless.

I don't like java or flash, so don't worry bout havign to explain that to me. I've been on the downloading end of pages with both.. i wouldnt wish that on anyone without highspeed connection.

Okay... so nows when i go find caffiene.. cuz.. i just woke up n'stuff.

~Storm Chaser

Aengus McTeague
November 8th, 2001, 02:47 PM
On the new window thing, simply go to edit/preferences, then un-check "open file in new window" box on the general preferences page.

For frames, 1st make sure frame borders are visible from view/visual aids/frame borders.

Then go to modify/frameset/and split your frames however you want, and drag them into the approximate size and shape you want. Use the property inspector window to specify borders, frame names, sizing, and scrolling options. (Make sure you click the expand button on the property inspector to get all options)

For tables, just go to insert/table and plug in desired row/col/spacing/padding options. Then from the main design view window drag them into the exact size you want.

Oh, and any time you want to code by hand, just switch from the view menu to either code or code + design view.

Good luck
BB,
Aengus