PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attacks...

cydira
November 6th, 2001, 08:05 PM
Do y'all have any advice on how to cope with panic attacks? I've just started having them again, and I'm trying to figure out some simple ways to deal with them before they get to be pretty bad.

Silver Venus
November 13th, 2001, 05:38 PM
Hiya ((Big Hugs))
Id say dont think about them! I know that sounds silly but I think the more you think about them the more you get them and the owrse they get.
What are you getting them about? Or are they just general?

I used to get the quite allot for valid and also silly reasons but cant really remember them that well ~ guess Ive blocked that out.. all I can say is the stronger I felt and the more sure and comfortable with myself they disappeared...

Maybe you could concentrate on your own inner strength and caring for you with the new moon this month and make this next year a panic free, strong powerful one :)

Hope that helps :)

Lavender
November 15th, 2001, 01:06 AM
A good friend of mine suffers from panic attacks as well. Most of the time, she controls them by breathing deep when she feels them coming. As well as putting her head down between her knees. When they get out of control, she had medication for that. Fortunately, most of the time, the deep breathing seems to help.

lucidfire
November 20th, 2001, 07:31 PM
Deep breathing or meditation always worked for me. If that doesn't work, I figure it's environment or something. A lot of people are saying it's a chemical imbalance, I always wonder though whether it's cause or effect though. Science can get confusing in that way

SearchingWolf
November 30th, 2001, 11:48 AM
The fact that you know youre having one is a double edged sword. When you feel one coming on you automatically tense up and get worse. I have had, in the past a problem with social anxiety. Part of my anxiety was to do with the fact that I dont prefer the company of people. I thought I was the only one being nervous in certain situations, now I look around and see lots that are more nervous than me.

If you exercise and are proud of yourself that will help and you need to trust in your abilitys to cope with life. There is not a person living who at one time hasent been through such a time in there lives. My anxiety attacks went on for 10 years of my life and I am just now breaking free of it.

If this isnt the type of anxiety you are having it all relates and comes down to your mind. Your body and mind are trying to tell you there is a problem and you need to find it (which is hard in most cases) and figure out a solution. Exercise reagulary, exercise produces chemicals in the brain that will affect your mood and make you feel better about yourself!

If this doesnt help please explain more about your anxiety as I have had alot of personal experience in this particular field. Not of my own choosing though:P

Finally living life and breaking the bonds of the anxiety SearchingWolf :)

Goddess Rhiannon
December 13th, 2005, 04:40 PM
bumping this for all of us who need it

phoenixblayze
December 13th, 2005, 04:50 PM
thanks GR, i must say that panic attacks suck big time. the only thing that i can do to manage is to get by myself and try to breath, but that doesnt work all the time....any pointers?

Goddess Rhiannon
December 13th, 2005, 05:11 PM
I am just at the beginning of the journey....but I will gladly walk together with you....maybe we can help each other....find our way...out of the darkness....that has become our lives.

Happy Shrew
December 13th, 2005, 07:09 PM
I used to get them quite regularly - linden tea knocks them flat, or if you have access to a treadmill you may as well run the energy out of you (make sure you have water to stay hydrated, though).

For long-term improvements, nothing beats adopting a low-stress philosophy. You may want to start with affirmations like "I keep things in perspective" or "My problems are temporary - with hard work I can get myself back on track."

Goddess Rhiannon
December 13th, 2005, 07:15 PM
I used to get them quite regularly - linden tea knocks them flat, or if you have access to a treadmill you may as well run the energy out of you (make sure you have water to stay hydrated, though).

For long-term improvements, nothing beats adopting a low-stress philosophy. You may want to start with affirmations like "I keep things in perspective" or "My problems are temporary - with hard work I can get myself back on track."

what is linden tea and where do you get that?

spooky
December 13th, 2005, 08:27 PM
taking some kava or valerian before an event you think might be stressful might help.

i get anxious too, so i do a lot of visualizations... like i am going to this party. and there will be people. and i will talk to the people i know. and they will like me. and i will get in my car. and i will go home when i am tired.

it helps me. i visualize what could be stressful as going well. and then i am confident and prepared.

good luck
-spooky

Philosophia
December 13th, 2005, 09:48 PM
When I have to go out somewhere, I keep my mind occupied by thinking of something else. For example, the other day I had to walk to the shops I thought of a poem I had read a couple of days ago and tried to re-think it. This helped by allowing me to not focus on the people surrounding me and their thoughts.

puchidevil
December 14th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Panic attacks are a damn nuisance arent they. I have had just two in my life, and they occured at the most inconvenient and stressful times.

Luckily for me, my then partner had been having them for a couple of years, so I knew what was happening to me.

I just took some very deep breaths, told myself "its only a panic attack, its just my body being silly, and my mind is stronger than my body"

I talked myself out of the attacks, and have never had them since.

However, my then partner suffered terribly with them, and hid himself away regularly for 3 years. He found it difficult to even peal potatoes sometimes. His attacks were brought on by stifled emotions, and the situation was getting ridiculous, as it was affecting everything, including our day to day lives. I knew he had gone wayyyyyyyyyy past the point of being talked out of them, or talking himself out of them. Drastic action was needed. So, drastic action was what he got. I took him in a room, and refused to let him out, whilst all the time making fun of his fears, taunting him and making him listen. Well, it worked. He had no choice, he had to face himself and his fears. The guy went crazy mad, and all of sudden his anxiety turned into anger, and he smashed the place up. He hasnt had an attack since, cept small ones he can now control. I will never regret doing that to him, but i do regret not moving some of the furniture out of the room first. :)

The above is pretty extreme i admit and I dont recommend it for everyone, but my point was simply this. He took control. Instead of saying 'omg, im having an attack, quick hide' (which was his previous way of thinking) he changed his thinking to 'dammit body, not again, im not having this, behave yourself'. It was a hard struggle, dont get me wrong, but once he realised that he COULD change his reaction, he did. He now no longer takes pills etc for his attacks.

Happy Shrew
December 14th, 2005, 02:34 PM
what is linden tea and where do you get that?

It's tea made from flowers of the linden tree. They mainly grow in Europe. Best price I've found for it has been here (http://www.zooscape.com/cgi-bin/maitred/GreenCanyon/questc100729).

I'd suggest using some other soothing technique as a preventative measure and only drink the linden if you're in a full-blown attack. I've found that its effects are like Clonapin, only not habit-forming and less likely to knock you out - but you still may find yourself dozing off.