PDA

View Full Version : Bild Lilli: Barbie's "German Sex Doll"

Djiril
July 28th, 2005, 05:19 PM
I was reading up on the history of Barbie and came across several sources that said she was based on a "German Sex Doll".

I did some more "googleing" and found some more information of the doll. So far I've gotten that she was based on a cartoon character and sold to men in cigar shops as a gag gift, and then later marketed as a love token for men to give to their wives and girlfriends.

I have seen the cartoon character herself sometimes described as being a prostitute, sometimes a gold-digger, and sometimes just a woman who was very forward. I finally managed to find a page with some of the cartoons on it:
http://zenzo.de/homepage/cartoons.html (http://zenzo.de/homepage/cartoons.html)
they look kind of like the "flapper" cartoons of the 20's, but I can't read the words because I don't speak German and don't know the right keyboard commands to get Geman characters so I can type the text into a web translator.

If someone either knows where I can find the right keyboard commands to get the German characters or can read German and tell me some of what she's saying I would appreciate it! :)

halfwaynowhere
July 28th, 2005, 05:23 PM
just copy/paste the text here to translate it:
http://www.google.com/language_tools (http://www.google.com/language_tools)

Djiril
July 28th, 2005, 05:31 PM
just copy/paste the text here to translate it:
http://www.google.com/language_tools (http://www.google.com/language_tools)
The problem is that it isn't in "text" form. The words are part of an image so they can't be copied and pasted.

halfwaynowhere
July 28th, 2005, 05:32 PM
oh, i didn't realize that... hmm... yeah, i guess you do ned someone to translate for you then... sorry, i can't be of help...

Jenne
July 28th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Those are cool! Wish I spoke German too!

Aestolia
July 28th, 2005, 07:28 PM
The problem is that it isn't in "text" form. The words are part of an image so they can't be copied and pasted.

Why not just type it in off the comics, I did, and here's what I see from the first one:

"I would have only Hans would not promise to visit him during its illness daily he already simulated the third relapse now."

Obvioulsy a direct language translation still requires a bit of mental work, but i'm sure it's meaning is apparent. :achug:

Elistariel
July 28th, 2005, 07:52 PM
I'll do it, just give me a few minutes. I'll edit it into this post.

eta

When Angfang of the 50'er was brought years the new daily paper to "picture newspaper" on the market, the pressure setters needed still another small place filler. The draughtsman Reinhard Beuthien created on it the picture Lilli in comicform. Since then appeared saucier jerden day another comic of the man-devouring Lilli. It was very much kokett; -) The Comics gave it from 24 June 1952 to 05 January 1961. Here see to her some Comics and can, a picture of the lady make itself! Much fun thereby; -)

bbnflpn
July 28th, 2005, 11:51 PM
over time i have forgotten my german. however, i do know how to get the chartecters (sp) look for the tool called a charater map it will give you the alt funcktion of your key strokes like alt+0220 will give you a u with and oomlout. i hope that helps i think you can find it if you do a serch in your find files and folders. some puters have a short cut in their accesories

banondraig
July 29th, 2005, 04:44 PM
At the beginning of the 50's When the new daily newspaper "Bild" came onto the market in the beginning of the 1950's, the printer still needed a small placefiller. The illustrator Reinhard Beuthien created the image of LIlli for it in comic form. Since then another saucy comic of the man-devouring Lilli appeared every day. She was very flirtatious.

The comics existed from 24 June 1952 until 5 January 1961.

i'm bored at work here in germany. how many comics would you like translated? :bigredgri

note: i'm not german myself, translations won't be perfect.

StarCraftLia
July 29th, 2005, 04:49 PM
I always knew Barbie was a hooker!

Actually, I thought she was like based off an old real-life woman who started in the toy buisness with self-carved wooden figures of her daughter.. But then again I heard that from The Simpsons. ^^

Djiril
July 29th, 2005, 05:06 PM
At the beginning of the 50's When the new daily newspaper "Bild" came onto the market in the beginning of the 1950's, the printer still needed a small placefiller. The illustrator Reinhard Beuthien created the image of LIlli for it in comic form. Since then another saucy comic of the man-devouring Lilli appeared every day. She was very flirtatious.

The comics existed from 24 June 1952 until 5 January 1961.

i'm bored at work here in germany. how many comics would you like translated? :bigredgri

note: i'm not german myself, translations won't be perfect.
As many as you feel like doing!

Djiril
July 29th, 2005, 05:09 PM
I always knew Barbie was a hooker!

Actually, I thought she was like based off an old real-life woman who started in the toy buisness with self-carved wooden figures of her daughter.. But then again I heard that from The Simpsons. ^^
"Her dream; Malibu Stacy. Her goal; to make a fashion doll that was also edible. Children didn't much care for the taste of dried onion peel, but they loved the doll!":D

banondraig
July 29th, 2005, 05:21 PM
comic 2:

"You've spent two hours now telling me what you think of the Freudian theory, may I spend two minutes telling you what I think of you?"

comic 4:

"If I only understood why you want to see my room so badly -- are you some kind of interior designer?"

comic 5:

"Here a middle-aged man seeks a woman to spoil. If I knew that were all he wanted, I would write to him."

dict.leo.org is an excellent online source for german-english translations, btw.

banondraig
July 29th, 2005, 05:23 PM
she seems to always use the formal "you", not the familiar one. in fact, so far she spends a lot more time discouraging horndogs than the opposite. :)

banondraig
July 29th, 2005, 05:52 PM
comic 6:

"Peter is very nice, but he needs something in order to be a good husband -- about 400 marks a month."

comic 7:

"It's curious that when I'm wearing new shoes, you usually take no notice, but a new sweater you see right away."

Aestolia
July 29th, 2005, 06:53 PM
This is awsome Banondraig, thanks so much for your time!!!

banondraig
July 29th, 2005, 06:56 PM
you're more than welcome, i'm stuck here for eight more hours and need to practice my german anyway! ;)

banondraig
July 29th, 2005, 07:13 PM
comic 16:

"But, dear friend, just because I asked you for advice doesn't mean I'm going to follow it."

comic 17:

"It doesn't matter whether Diana hunted with a bow. It seems to me this here is useful for certain situations."

comic 18:

"And the same goes for you, Otto. You shouldn't always call during office hours."

banondraig
July 29th, 2005, 10:38 PM
comic 19:

"You don't need to make such a depressed face just because you have debts -- it's enough that your creditors do that."

comic 24: (my favorite so far)

"Jochen is a weird guy. When we go to the movies together, he actually concentrates only on the film the whole time."

comic 27:

"I don't understand it. I let the eggs boil for an extra 20 minutes, and they're still not soft."

banondraig
July 31st, 2005, 04:47 AM
comic 28:

"You were right -- the braking distance is actually longer than I always thought."

comic 31:

"Hans always says, 'Money doesn't make you happy.', but he hasn't once been without it."

comic 32:

"I just wanted to return your iron, and ask you if perhaps you could lend me a blouse."

banondraig
July 31st, 2005, 04:56 AM
comic 33:

"Of course I've been in long enough, but my office manager is on the shore, and I told him I had a bad cold so I could get out of work today."

comic 34:

"What should I do? I want to break it off with Dieter right now, but he's the only one who has tickets to the soccer finals."

comic 35:

"Here it says that the average woman is only really in love once or twice in her life. I knew I was above average."

Djiril
November 18th, 2005, 09:38 PM
:bumpsmili