View Full Version : oil painting 'Air II'

Gwendolyn 8
July 29th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Added a new painting to my gallery, see it here (http://www.mystics.nl/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=1560)

Feel free to grade it! (it's sort of a competition). (5 is best, 1 is lowest)

July 29th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Wow...She's beautiful!! I really like your style.

July 29th, 2005, 09:09 AM
I like your sytle and the concepts behind it, particularly "geboorteplaats, hun roots, waar ze het meest in hun kracht staan en thuis horen" ... ah yes. Very nice!

Gwendolyn 8
July 29th, 2005, 11:06 AM
thanks! you know dutch Sari0009? I thought you were american...

July 29th, 2005, 01:16 PM
thanks! you know dutch Sari0009? I thought you were american...

Ah. As an American child of an immigrant, I spent some time in Europe as a child, lived around immigrants (here in America) who spoke various langauges, and my mother was a language teacher (so I was a multi-lingual child). Once I learned German, French, and Spanish it was easier to pick up on a lot in several other languages.

It would be correct to say I know some Dutch, am better at reading it than speaking it(you'd laugh if tried to speak it perhaps), and that I do have to look up some words, which I like doing since it helps me retain at least some level of comprehension.

I really like what you write that accompanies your art. It enriches the experience quite a bit and livens my mind.

Gwendolyn 8
July 29th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Well that explains a lot :)
But you have a good point in saying that the description enhances the painting (in some cases I am happier to let people decide for themselves what to see in it as they are visually richer, but these paintings are a bit too vague to show without any explanation)

Tthis is what they are about("Air I" & "Air II"): They are meant to depict different aspect of one element (i.e. Air) The women(who are both a kind of shamans of the element air) in the picture are clearly very different frome each other yet it is the same element that keeps them occupied. The one is the wind that blows over the graasy plains and the other the one that lives high up in the mountains. Each of them stands right above her roots, where they are strongest, their homeground.

August 4th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Nice one, Gwen! I'm really looking forward to your upcoming paintings!