PDA

View Full Version : Kitten with a cold?

ShamanFeather
July 30th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Hi I'm taking care of someone's kittens and mommy cat. The babies are I think 8 weeks old. Well this one we think was the one that fell in the bucket of mop water and seems to have a horrible cold. Its eyes are swollen and it weezes. I think its 3 littermates might be hard on him cause he has a lot of patches where you can see the skin. I noticed one leg has a large patch and something like a dried crust on it in places. I'm worried this may be more then a cold. The owner is aware. I've noticed the baby sticks close to me and its mom and likes warm places. Anything I can do for him or if the chemicals from the water may have got to him? This happened before I got them on Wednesday so I don't know what concentrations or anything was in there. :(

MerryBe
July 30th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Hi I'm taking care of someone's kittens and mommy cat. The babies are I think 8 weeks old. Well this one we think was the one that fell in the bucket of mop water and seems to have a horrible cold. Its eyes are swollen and it weezes. I think its 3 littermates might be hard on him cause he has a lot of patches where you can see the skin. I noticed one leg has a large patch and something like a dried crust on it in places. I'm worried this may be more then a cold. The owner is aware. I've noticed the baby sticks close to me and its mom and likes warm places. Anything I can do for him or if the chemicals from the water may have got to him? This happened before I got them on Wednesday so I don't know what concentrations or anything was in there. :(

I have seen kittens with colds. But what you describe sounds like chemical burns.

Is there any way to find out what was in that bucket of mop water? Bleach or some type of harmful chemicals?
Was the kitten washed off immediately?

I think a trip to the Vet might be in order for this kitten, the chemicals could have burned his eyes, nose, throat and lungs besides his skin. It could also be an allergic reaction but the only way to find out is to ask what was in the bucket and take the kitten to the Vet.

One question if I may, how is the kitten eating and using the litter box?
Any sign of loose bowel movements or discolorations?

Poor kitten, I do hope the kitten will be OK. Keep an eye on 'em, don't let the others take advantage of 'em in this condition, he might be in alot of pain and is surely suffering.

Brightest Blessings,
MerryBe

~Star~
July 30th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Cat/Kittens commonly get something called Upper Resp (Upper Respiratory).
Which is basically a cold.
They get swollen eyes and usually the third eyelid darn near closes up completely
They have gunk coming out of their eyes and projectile snot when sneezing.

Take kitty to the vet, get it some antibiotics-quickest road to recovery!
Also, buy some vicks vapor rub and put some right under kitties chin (it'll get funky and kitty will need a bath, but he/she'll be happy for the night) and also put a tiny dab on the fur just above her nose (that suede like fur right on top of her nose-but not on the leather of her nose).
Also, if you have a room vaporizer she'll breath easier too.
Or you can just hang out in the bathroom with him/her while running hot shower water, let the steam get her.

(yeah.... I'm a shelter volunteer :rollingla )

Regarding the chemical burns... the only way that you're going to know for sure is to take the kitty to the vet. #1 suggestion/opinion/option/responsible thing to do.
If it is a burn, the vet will prescribe a cream or ointment.
If its a chem burn, the ointment may also contain something called "lidocaine" which is a local (it numbs) to help the kitty deal with the pain from those burns.
(I hope that's not whats going on). Poor little kitty :(
good luck with kitty and my Boxer sends really sloppy boxer kisses to the poor little one!

Atropos
July 30th, 2005, 02:54 PM
I have to agree a trip to the vet is best in this situation.

If it turns out to be cronic upper respitory (also known as Feline Herpes Virus (FHV-1), you may want to try a product called Enisyl-F
http://www.healthycats.com/healthypetscom/enamacforfe4.html (http://www.healthycats.com/healthypetscom/enamacforfe4.html) <-- link to a site with info about it

I have a cat that just started taking this. She has had cronic UR since she was a kitten. It's really convenient to use. It's basically a paste form of L-lysine.

ShamanFeather
July 31st, 2005, 05:41 AM
I have been doing energy healing on her and she is doing better, her owner said she'd take her in on Wednesday. I may ask if I could keep her longer so that I can give her extra love. I'm going to mention chem burns to her owner as well I've noticed that the other black kitten also has some hunks of fur missing and one of the stripes have huge teeth punture wounds on the throat. they play rough, this particular one which I call weezer for now doesn't play hard, but seems hardy anyway. It eats especially the milk often, though I have seen it with the hard food. I can't tell with bowels as there are 5 kitties total using the same litter box, but I am giving him special treatment. I am hesitent to use vix on him as that is what I used to keep mamma cat from clawing my door frames and I don't wnater her leaving the kitty alone. I know her owner also uses vix to prevent her adult cats from eating the house plants.

evie_mun
July 31st, 2005, 01:09 PM
When all else fails, I say definately take the kitty to the vet. Vet's know best, that's what they're there for! Healing energy to the poor kitty.

Magicfuzzies
August 1st, 2005, 02:28 PM
I hope kitty is okay.

Sounds to me like it could be chem burns also. It's so easy to have happen. Wounds as you've described aren't symptomatic of colds.

If it's a URTI (upper respiratory tract infection) make sure to keep it away from the others and wash after handling it. It's contagious. It's pretty easy for a URTI to turn into pneumonia and a host of other future health problems. Use a warm air humidifier for about 1/2 hour every 2 hours in a steam tent (I've used a playpen with the humidifier on the outside and a blanket over the whole thing) but keep kitty away from the humidifier vent. It gets hot! Give kitty a bit of a warm water wipe and dry after as a lot of icky things come out. Keep doing this and giving it lots of fluids (you may have to get kitten formula) and it's meds until symptoms subside.

Vicks is good but has to be handled carefully. The fumes can be very strong for a baby.

Please, take it to a vet. Offer to pay for the owner if necessary (and possible). Kitty is sure to be going through a lot of discomfort.

Hope things work out and baby is okay.