PDA

View Full Version : Racial Slurs ... a rant

kittiepoetrygod
November 7th, 2001, 11:54 PM
I swear! People here are stupid! They're hicks, they're dumb, they're ****** Native American, and they can't even get they're insults right! Grrr!

I mean, come on ... if you're going to insult the store run by Asians, A) Don't call them *****-heads, because they aren't Muslim, they're Buddhist, B) Get they're friggin nationality right ... THEY ARE ASIAN, NOT ARABS, MEXICANS, OR INDIANS, as if if they were, it would be ok, and C) Stop being so stupid! IF you don't pass the brown paper bag test, and most of you don't, ITS NOT NICE TO CALL THE "BLACK KID" the N WORD!!!!!

Grrrrrr

Twilight Garden
November 7th, 2001, 11:59 PM
Maybe I'm out of the loop... Where is this coming from? It's not like it's a news flash that there are ignorant people out there.
(BTW calling a person a "hick" can be a "racial slur".)

Danustouch
November 8th, 2001, 12:00 AM
What in the sweet name of the Goddess are you talking about?

What does Being Native American have to do with being ignorant?

I'm lost. Who are you addressing?

Myst
November 8th, 2001, 12:02 AM
brown paper bag test? wth?

Danustouch
November 8th, 2001, 12:02 AM
And furthermore, you said...if you are going to insult a store run by asians, don't call them *** heads, because their not muslims, their bhuddists. Ok...so then it IS okay to call Muslims *** heads? Man...i am sooooo confused.

Margie
November 8th, 2001, 12:03 AM
In anycase-it the person any smarter if they get the slur right?

Radocs
November 8th, 2001, 12:34 AM
I think she means that all racial slurs are bad, but even worse when people get them wrong...

Margie
November 8th, 2001, 12:45 AM
I said it didn't make the person (the one spewing slurs) any smarter for getting the slur right. In all cases it's stupid. (and I am NOT going to apologize for offending any racists who may be on the board)

Lavender
November 8th, 2001, 02:23 AM
And just because they're Asians doesn't necessarily mean they're all Buddhist. :mad:

Radocs
November 8th, 2001, 10:10 AM
I was talking about kittiepoetrygood, not you Margie, sorry.
I agree, it's never a good thing in any case.

TheTheologin
November 8th, 2001, 10:25 AM
I too am confused. Who are "the people here", those in you town or ppl on the message board? I have to agree that one is no more intelligent if the "get the racial slur right". But I understand what you meant by it. Please clarify whom you are speaking about though. In my experience with message boards, it tends to cause problems if you don't.

Illuminatus
November 8th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Don't call muslims 'star-heads'. Got it. Thanks

- Ill

kittiepoetrygod
November 8th, 2001, 11:05 AM
This post was directed at my "Aryan" neighbor, whose mom is Native American. I know the people that run the store, they are Buddhists, i wouldn't have said they were if they weren't.
(Danu, sorry, didn't clarify that; Wildchild; The Thologan)
The brown paper bag test was the test that they used to see if you where black or not. When you don't pass it, its not nice to make fun of other people becuase they don't pass it. Its not nice to do it anyway, but its particulary hypocritical in the above case. (Myst)

PS: Yes, they did it to him at lunch, and to his girlfriend.

Hick = Redneck, at least in my town.(luner mist)

Yes, Radocs, that is what I meant.

What I meant was, that racial sluring is bad enough, but when you don't get the race of the person right, its even worse. If you think someone is inferior, thats all fine and dandy, but if you think they're inferior because of something they aren't, that drops down to the levels below ... well, really really stupid.

In other words, if you're the inferior one of the two, mentally, physically, however, don't call the other one inferior, for one thing, and if you still do, don't be so stupid as to get their race wrong.

(Danus)

Get they're friggin nationality right ... THEY ARE ASIAN, NOT ARABS, MEXICANS, OR INDIANS, as if if they were, it would be ok,
Quoted DIRECTLY. I made the thing nice and big for you. :)

Illuminatus
November 8th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by TheThologin
I too am confused. Who are "the people here", those in you town or ppl on the message board? I have to agree that one is no more intelligent if the "get the racial slur right". But I understand what you meant by it. Please clarify whom you are speaking about though. In my experience with message boards, it tends to cause problems if you don't.

It's a rant! Rants can be directed to anyone, and posted anywhere, it's not important, because mainly it's just venting!

kittiepoetrygod
November 8th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Thank you.

Manoi
November 8th, 2001, 11:11 AM
I'm soooo confused!

Myst
November 8th, 2001, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Illuminatus
It's a rant! Rants can be directed to anyone, and posted anywhere, it's not important, because mainly it's just venting!

When it's in a public place on a public message board it *does* matter where it is and it *does* matter to us who it's directed at. We have an obligation to respond when someone is offended here (and btw, people *were* offended by this thread).

Danustouch
November 8th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Kittie...did you REALLY just misunderstand that like i think you did? I was asking you....if you thought it would be ok to use that term to define Muslims, when it wasn't ok to use it to define bhuddists. I was not saying that it is "OK" to call muslims by that name.

Sequoia
November 8th, 2001, 12:11 PM
uhg. . . . what a mess.

my opinion: racial slurs are bad. They're often stupid, NOT FUNNY, annoying, rude, thoughtless, and just plain wrong.

HOWEVER

That doesn't mean that people are going to stop using them. As long as there are people who are different (and in our own way, we all are) there will be nasty things said about them. It's the "them and us" mentality. And humanity, in general, just really isn't that kind. There's a lot of people who are good people, but there's a lot of people who are "bad."

There's always that age-old saying. . . "It takes all kinds of people to make a world."

(btw - I am NOT saying I think it's right.)

Old Witch
November 8th, 2001, 01:20 PM
In the part of the south where I live redneck is a racial slur and what did being Native American have to do with it? Did you intend that to be aracial slur? At least get your thoughts in order or before you rant or lots of people may be offended.

Danustouch
November 8th, 2001, 03:06 PM
furthermore, if you meant that being Native American should have made them less racist, well..that is in and of itsself, a predjudiced statement. Racisim, and predjudice, know no cultural bounds. Native Americans, can be just as biased as any other culture. So...the inherent danger in making such statements, is that you make broad generalizations, and play right into stereotyping.

Swanspirit
November 8th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Do I dare.......... of course I do...... ;)
Using racial slurs as an answer to other racial slurs simply COMPOUNDS the injury to all ........ and offends even more people .........
Ranting isnt always "sane rational or reasonable" because emotion is HIGH and sometimes when I am ranting I need to be in private before I can publicly say what I really want to say , and get it right ... so I am not guilty of doing EXACTLY what I am accusing the other guy of doing ...... happens to all of us at times as we are all human........ and sometimes even though I am just thinking I promise you my thoughts are not PC or ready for public consumption.....
Psychologically just SPEWING .... as opposed to ranting (and I am NOT saying that is what you are doing ) is called having no "screen" or ability to edit what one says.........prior to saying it........some people call it tactlessness and some people pride themselves on it.....
but that is the BEAUTY of diversity ...... and the REAL SHAME is stereotyping people and using racial slurs to descibe people , which does REAL harm , in my estimation...... it is HURTFUL to hear slurs toward oneself..... at anytime.... regarding ancestry race relgion etc.....and even worse ..... it puts up walls ........
So while I disagree with your mode of expression...... I completely agree with the sentiment therein ...........
Love and light
Swannie

amberlaine
November 8th, 2001, 04:16 PM
somone should lock this thread. I dont htink anything useful or constructive can come from this conversation.

Illuminatus
November 8th, 2001, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by amberlaine
somone should lock this thread. I dont htink anything useful or constructive can come from this conversation.

What, are you kidding? Swan's post was great, I think that's the first time I actually read her entire comment.

amberlaine
November 8th, 2001, 04:30 PM
*chuckle*
you never cease to make me laugh.

StormChaser
November 8th, 2001, 07:08 PM
The true insult in any insult, is how the word is used, and how the word is taken.

You can do little to stop the word being used wrongfully, accept approaching the person and saying.. "umm he's not a "dot" "star"-head he's buddhist." Or "she's not black, she's more "peanut butter", and my personal favorite "I'm not gay, but if i was, I certainly wouldn't be attracted to you. I hope that doesn't change our plans for this weekend.."
Goodness, they hate that. *chortles*

If you are proud of who you are why should someone calling you that which you are.. by any name be it derogetory or complimentary, bother you? And if they call you something you are not.. why should that bother you, if you know you are not what they say?

The first time someone insults you, you may feel hurt. To let that person hurt you repeatedly, or hurt anyone else.. is to say you have the desire to be a victim. Address the problem head on. Make up your mind not to be a victim. Approach the offending party and be the mature one. Tell them that what they are saying is crude, crass, and wrong. Tell them insulting others doesn't do them any favors. Tell them that if they are unhappy with the situation, or with something someone has done or said they need to talk it out maturely. Tell them that if the only way that they can see someone is by looking at the outside that they will never see the full picture. Tell them they should look at themselves in the mirror before casting an opinion or a judgement on someone else. If they do not respond in a mature fashion, turn off your ears to the words, and walk away. Let it be known that behavior of this sort is not only unacceptable, it's not worth being recognized.

"Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered I have fought my way to the castle beyond the goblin city, to take back the child that you have stolen. For my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom is as great. You have No Power over Me!"
-sarah from Labyrinth-

When you realize that this person insulting and slandering has no power unless you give it to them.. you will be a much stronger, much happier person.

~Storm Chaser

mysticvik
November 8th, 2001, 08:01 PM
I think that what kittypoetrygod was trying to say is that no one has the right to undermine another persons choice religion, and just because of, different accents, skin colours or even mannerisms, you cannnot determine their religion. I have friends who are Muslim, they get called little bhuddas and more recently taliban. :meanface:

And they say ignorance is bliss

I too Hate the N word, whenever I think of it, it bring images of slavery. :mad:

StormChaser
November 8th, 2001, 09:33 PM
Regarding the "N" word. My friend richard is "black" and we both went to the same mostly "black" HS. most kids there, "black and whites" use the "N" word on themselves, and each other.. without thinking about it. Not because they are ignorant as to the words history, but because of the same reason many girls call themselves the "B" or "S" word. Because if being an N, a B, a S, means that you are what you are, and you are something you are proud of.. theres no reason on this earth why calling yourself those things, or hearing someone else call you that, should upset you.

I have seen this issue from the other eyes.. "but those words started and mean negative things". But in reality, a word is a word, a name is a name. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I've been called an "S" and a "B" but if that means that I don't take crud, I don't let people knock me around, that I am sexually aware, and more importantly, sexually attuned and unafraid.. then I will take on having the name "S" and "B" because I am not about to hide that which I am so that someone won't call me a name that they think is bad.

There are other words out there that people use daily that they don't know have negative origins. I mean, here we had someone screaming about slurs, yet calling people hicks and rednecks. If you ask me thats a bit hypocritical. What about "ninny" "dumb" "stupid" "retarded". Common day words that can be taken most offensively.

Adjectives\insults.. these are defining and judgemental terms. They put labels on things and people. In truth, it's all how you view it, hear it, say it.

~Storm Chaser

Myst
November 8th, 2001, 10:04 PM
The fact is words like the S, B, and N word hurt people's feelings whether they hurt yours or not. Thus, as far as I'm concerned, someone who can't find a better word to use should examine their problems.

In a perfect world no one would feel hurt by being called those names but in reality many people do, therefore they should not be used.

Margie
November 8th, 2001, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Myst
In a perfect world no one would feel hurt by being called those names but in reality many people do, therefore they should not be used.

In a perfect world why would anyone be called a name they didn't want to be called?;)

Myst
November 8th, 2001, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Margie

In a perfect world why would anyone be called a name they didn't want to be called?;)

I dunno do I look like I live in a perfect world :D

StormChaser
November 8th, 2001, 11:32 PM
All words can hurt.. the first time. They dont have to be a second, and third time. As long as you realize that those words mean nothing because the person saying them doesn't deserve, nor have the right, to have the power to affect your feelings.. because in truth you are above and beyond them and their slights.

And I am sorry that you don't like how "I" handle things, or giving my opinion and view on the whole sitution. But this is a discussion. I'm discussing my point through relating my experience and my feelings.

The fact is this is NOT a perfect world, and never will be, because perfect in the terms that humanity describes, is not created by nature. Perfect means all the same.. all the same.. find me two things in nature that are identical in every single way.

Perfect, is boring, without change, without growth, without life. Life is diverse, unique, ever changing, growing, manifesting..
Perfect, much like "Normal" is boring and highly over rated.

~Storm Chaser

flar7
November 9th, 2001, 02:28 AM
so it cant be boring, unless its perfectly boring! LOL
Perfection to me is the goal that nature strives for. Perfect balance. Sorry about going OT