PDA

View Full Version : A God/dess for marriage and relationships?

Faery-Wings
November 8th, 2001, 08:31 AM
Is there a God and/or Goddess who can help with marriage difficulites? Specifically, ones that could help with mis-communication and hidden hurts? I would like to work with both God and Goddess, trying to keep things balanced.

Thanks.

Chris

Avena
November 8th, 2001, 10:25 AM
Hera and Zeus are the first deities I come to think of when reading words as "marriage difficulites"

Not sure if they are appropriate to balance those difficulties though... :rolleyes:

Amethyst Rose
November 9th, 2001, 01:25 AM
Eh..... well I'd say Hera, for sure. She's the goddess of Marriage (and childbirth). But I wouldn't say the same for Zeus. Zeus was notorious for fooling around, and getting gods and humans alike pregnant. I really wouldn't want him to represent/bless a relationship! :)

Amethyst Rose
November 9th, 2001, 01:27 AM
Oh, and....maybe you could try Hermes as the god? He's the god of communication.... Hera (Marriage), and Hermes (communication), might be a combination that would work for you.....

Faery-Wings
November 9th, 2001, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestions- I agree about Zeus! We are having enough diffiiculites- I am not sure I want to ask him for help. We are not at the point where we are turning lovers into beasts and such-- but I don't want to go there!:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Hermes, He was the messenger to Zeus... I bet he would know how so handle a sometimes unreasonable man....

BB

Chris

Avena
November 9th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Maybe Juno, Hera's Roman "cousin" could be also useful, or even more useful than Hera, as she is often milder and more sensible than Hera.

Or try Aphrodite as a goddess of looove and emotions.

Pheonix
November 9th, 2001, 03:04 PM
I'd recomend going with Juno over Hera, she was (with good reason) rather jealous, resentful and bitter, not to mention cruel. You might want to think twice before asking her help with your marriage! lol

Amethyst Rose
November 10th, 2001, 01:19 AM
Hera was only jealous and cruel when Zeus fooled around on her, and then flaunted his infidelity. The only "person" she was ever really cruel about was Heracles, and that was because he was the offspring of one of Zeus' offspring.

Anywhoo....

The point of this is that many people turn away from Hera because she has a bad rap. The truth of the matter is that she is a very strong willed, powerful, loving and gentle Goddess, who represents the perfect marriage. I mean....if you were the Goddess of Marriage, how would *you* feel if you couldn't keep your husband faithful???? She probably felt that Zeus' infidelity undermined her position as a goddess of marriage. So, in my opinion, she was perfectly justified in actions she took because of her insecurity.

Sorry, guys....I can't really tell if this is on topic or not.... :confused:

Pheonix
November 10th, 2001, 02:21 AM
This is probably off topic as well but i just want to say that it is not that i feel Hera was unjustified in her jealous, just that she was jealous and rarely took her jealous out on her husband, more often itr was the maiden she took it out on, who usually clueless since zeus had a habit of disquising and kidnapping. Just clarifying why I would not want to bring her into my marraige.
She is a great deity and often work with in matters regarding the wellbeing of my children.

Kadynas
November 10th, 2001, 04:30 AM
I thought Juno was just the Roman version of the Greek Hera? Or do I have that mixed up?

Pheonix
November 10th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Juno is the roman version she is just much milder. Roman deities are cool and inspirational but they didn't have as much fun as their greek conterpart.

Emy
November 11th, 2001, 05:17 AM
Var, Vor and Frigg from the norse tradition are all associated with love and marriage. :)

Flar's Freyja
June 2nd, 2003, 12:16 PM
If you scroll toward the bottom of the page at this link, Wilson's Almanac has an excellent article on Juno and related goddesses (she is equated with the Norse Frigg and Christian Mary, among others) in the current

Blogmanac (http://wilsonsalmanac.blogspot.com/)

June 1 is her day.

Ben Trismegistus
June 2nd, 2003, 04:17 PM
I'd say Hestia, goddess of hearth and home.

Demeter
June 2nd, 2003, 10:02 PM
At my handfasting, we invoked Dionysus and Ariadne, one of the few faithful couples in Greek mythology. It may seem incongrouous given how their relationship started, but Persephone and Hades overcame their differences (you can't tell me she didn't know what those pomegranate seeds really meant!) and they were a faithful couple. So they might be good to look to in overcoming marital difficulties. Also Eros and Psyche, for the same reason.

FaerySong
June 3rd, 2003, 09:12 PM
What about Isis? As She is sometimes used to Rescue relationships? She did have to rescue Osiris a few times.