PDA

View Full Version : Review: Tarot of the Animals Divine by Lisa Hunt

LisaT4P
August 1st, 2005, 08:47 AM
http://www.lisahuntart.com/animalsdivine_1.html

Is now on it's way to my hot little hands! Woo hoo!

I've been waiting for this one for a while, and I'm very excited about it. I have liked the art in her Shapeshifter Tarot and Celtic Dragon Tarot, but found them difficult to use because of the associations of Wands=Air / Swords=Fire. This one has Wands=Fire and Swords=Air, which is what I'm used to working with.

I love that she uses Coyote as the fool, and there is an incorporation of beautiful Goddesses and Gods as well. Horus and Ganesh are both on my altar at home, so I just loved that I see them here in this deck too. I can't wait to dive in and see what else she's got in there!

I'll be sure to post a review as soon as I have it in my physical presence!

Lisa :)

Old Witch
August 1st, 2005, 10:09 AM
Oh my! I think I must have that!

~Elise~
August 1st, 2005, 10:30 AM
well, darn...I love her decks usually because of the wand=air. It is hard to find decks that have that. It is that way in my tradition, so that is how I read, as well.

Elise

RhiamonButterfly
August 2nd, 2005, 01:26 PM
looks really beautiful...let us know how it is :)

LisaT4P
August 4th, 2005, 08:04 PM
This came in yesterday and it is just as great as I thought it would be! :abanana:

The art has the lovely, ethereal quality that I've come to expect from Lisa Hunt, with lots of merging of forms, wispy air and flowy water.

The Major Arcana have images of Gods and Goddesses and their associated animals. Hera as the Empress is seated with a peacock and a cow. Odin as the Moon is pictured with his 2 ravens and wolves. Gao Yao is pictured in the Judgement http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/lkrough2/Judgement.jpg card with a ram and 3 fish. There are 3 Majors that break this mold, in the Fool card the Coyote (one of my totems!) stands without an associated God/dess as do the Tower http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/lkrough2/Tower.jpg and the Wheel.

The Cups suit is represented by aquatic creatures, from fish to dolphins to an Octopus on the 8 of Cups. http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/lkrough2/8Cups.jpg

The Wands suit is represented by insects and reptiles. The 6 of Wands http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/lkrough2/6Wands.jpg shows a caterpillar and butterfly and the 9 of Wands http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/lkrough2/9Wands.jpg is a snake slithering through the wands in the ground.

The Swords suit is, of course, birds. Interestingly, there are many water fowl shown in this suit. The Ace http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/lkrough2/AceSword.jpg is ducklings and Herons, Ibises and Cranes are also depicted. The Crow (another one of my totems! ;) ) is shown in the 9 of Swords. http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/lkrough2/9Swords.jpg

The Pentacles suit is represented by all types of mammals. Here we see a Tiger, Panda, Guinea Pigs, Prairie Dogs and one of my favorite cards in the deck, the 10 of Pentacles http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/lkrough2/10Pents.jpg, is a beautiful picture of a Rabbit.

The Court cards for each suit also have God/dess associations, and are very similar in nature to the Major Arcana. I love the Page of Pentacles as the Hindu Monkey God and Shapeshifter, Hannuman! :)

The book for this set is really terrific! It gives a very detailed description of the symbolism in each card. Things that seem in the background art come alive when you realize that they were put there with a purpose. The Description of the card reveals the story behind each God/dess that is associated with the card (for Majors and Courts). The Minors don't have such detailed descriptions, but they do have nice paragraphs about the meaning of each card, rather than just a short list of keywords. It seems as though Ms. Hunt has really thought each card through and shares some of her own ideas with us, rather than just spouting formula phrases.

The book also features a very nice foreword by Kris Waldherr, the creator of the Goddess Tarot and Lover's Path Tarot.

I have not yet done a reading with this deck, but if first impressions mean anything, this one has made a great impression on me. I really enjoy just looking at each card and I think this is a companion book that I could potentially read cover to cover.

If there are any particular cards you'd like to see, please let me know and I will try to scan them in for you. :)

Faeawyn
August 5th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Wow...beautiful deck!!

Tajemnica
August 5th, 2005, 10:28 AM
I've never actually had a tarot deck or gotten a reading, but that looks so gorgeous that I might buy it anyway.

AuroraSilvermist
August 5th, 2005, 01:26 PM
That deck is on my short list of must-haves. In fact, I received a $12 gift certificate from Amazon.com yesterday for being an associate...and I think I'll use it toward the Animals Divine deck. Thanks for the mini-review, LisaT4P. :D

RhiamonButterfly
August 5th, 2005, 08:35 PM
This came in yesterday and it is just as great as I thought it would be! :abanana:
okay Lisa...what are you trying to do...spread your tarot addiction to me? First it was the tarot cloth/bag from cjtarot, which I ordered, got, and LOVE...now this...sheesh...some people just don't know what they are doing to feed my addiction...LMAO In all seriousness, tho...I am gonna get this deck, I love it, along with the Harmonious and the 78 Doors one :)

LisaT4P
August 6th, 2005, 11:37 AM
okay Lisa...what are you trying to do...spread your tarot addiction to me? Of course! That's what Tarotholics Anonymous is FOR! LOL We don't help each other stop... we help each other by saying "BUY IT! BUY IT!" :devil:

It's really just a great big group of enablers. And I'm ok with that.

The High Queen of Faerie
August 6th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Ooh, that's wonderful. Lisa Hunt did illustrate the Celtic Dragon deck, which happens to be the first deck that I recieved. Her artwork is exquisite.

I must say that this one is not my style, but it's great to see that she's catering to a larger audience now. :) I hope you do enjoy your deck!

RhiamonButterfly
August 6th, 2005, 08:25 PM
LOLOLOL....you're right, I went to Books-a-Million today and they HAD the Animal Divine!!!! YAY...I love it, it's beautiful, and I'm sure it's going to be my new favorite! Can't wait to go thru the book....I also picked up the 2006 Tarot Reader from llewellyn....plus I spent $86 at Michaels on candles, and scrapbooking stuff...I need to stop that so I can buy more tarot decks..lol

Old Witch
August 8th, 2005, 12:47 AM
What happened to my post?? Anyway, I got it Friday at Books A Million! It's teriffic~ Every bit as beautiful as Lisa says....

LisaT4P
August 10th, 2005, 01:26 PM
I've edited the review to include links to scanned images of some of the cards. :)

Cerulean_damselfly
August 22nd, 2005, 12:13 AM
This is becoming one of my favorites to study and absorb.

I enjoy how detailed she is in her description of the cards. Some of the deities, I had to search online for a bit and so her description is a starting point for me to learn more.

Regards,

Cerulean

DarkWaltz
August 22nd, 2005, 07:15 AM
Wow...just wow
so many decks so little space lol

Strawberry Bounce
August 29th, 2005, 06:03 AM
It's a beautiful deck! I have seen images of it before but thanks for posting more. I'll be getting this deck very soon:loveduv:

Agaliha
October 16th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Bump!

I was looking though Amazon for animal based Tarot cards and found this one in a box set for $16.

I'm so going to get it. The art is beautiful and I love what I'm seeing. That octopus pic was awesome!

I have more luck with nature based cards than the normal Tarot ones.

LisaT4P
March 12th, 2007, 12:15 PM
bump :)

lil'BuddhistWitch
July 2nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
i have a question.. im'a newbie and I just purchased this deck on sunday... i was wondering if anyone could offer resources where I could learn more... i bought it because of it being associated with nature and so many different gods and goddesses it really helped me 1: with my polythesism and 2: with my love of animals and reverance for nature... i love the artwork and the descriptions... and i also agree with how the artwork seems to come alive.

but yeah, any links or resources would be awesome, thanks!

-VioLiz

aluokaloo
July 25th, 2007, 03:30 PM
you're so lucky Lis! I've been wanting that deck the moment I saw it! It's gorgeous!

Zephyrstorm
July 26th, 2007, 12:49 AM
I don't know how I missed this review. :)

I got this deck last spring because I was struggling to find a deck that spoke to me - I bought this one and the Druidcraft deck.

This one is really gorgeous. The animals are beautifully depicted, the diversity of the Gods, the imagery. I just simply love it.
Since then I've been pretty much reliant on using this deck as my primary set. Lisa Hunt has done a wonderful job.

lil'BuddhistWitch
October 19th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I have this deck too and its is beautiful to me.. and reads very well. The imagery is beautiful and would reccomend it to anyone