PDA

View Full Version : Here's a real article About Bush.......

TheTheologin
November 8th, 2001, 04:35 PM
Thursday November 8 1:30 PM ET

Bush Won't Meet Arafat at U.N.

By SANDRA SOBIERAJ, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush will not see Yasser Arafat at the United Nations this weekend, believing the Palestinian leader does not take seriously the U.S. war on terrorism and the al-Qaida terror network, national security adviser Condoleezza Rice said Thursday.

``There are responsibilities that come with being the representative of the Palestinian people and that means to make certain that you do everything you can to lower the level of violence, everything that you can to root out terrorists,'' Rice said.

``These are responsibilities that we have asked Chairman Arafat to take and to take seriously. We still don't think there has been enough in that regard.''

Referring to two militant Islamic groups that the State Department has branded as terrorist organizations, Rice continued in a clipped tone: ``You cannot help us with al-Qaida and hug Hezbollah - that's not acceptable - or Hamas. The president continues to make that clear to Mr. Arafat and there are no plans to meet with Mr. Arafat in New York.''

On Saturday, Bush addresses the U.N. General Assembly, a special session that had originally been scheduled for the final week of September but was rescheduled after the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington. In that speech, the president will reaffirm his commitment to fighting terrorism ``and the regimes that harbor it,'' Rice said.

On Sunday, he attends, with U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, an observance at the wreckage of the World Trade Center, two months after the attacks.

Bush will use his two days in Manhattan to meet separately with Annan and a handful of world leaders, including Pakistani leader Gen. Pervez Musharraf. Musharraf is a key Muslim ally in the U.S. military campaign against suspected terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden, his al-Qaida network, and his allies within Afghanistan 's ruling Taliban.

Rice said the United States is ``agnostic'' about the composition of a post-Taliban government, provided it is broadly based and represents the people of the South Asian country.

While Arafat has expressed support for the U.S. anti-terror campaign, the Bush administration complains that he has not done enough to curb Palestinian attacks on Israel. Bush leveled his demand for action in a letter to Arafat last month and has not once invited him to the White House.

Rice, in previewing Bush's diplomatic agenda at the United Nations, was notably harsh on Arafat. But she also criticized Israel, specifically for closing its borders to Palestinian workers from the West Bank and Gaza.

Nabil Shaath, a close adviser to Arafat, said at the State Department earlier Thursday that the Palestinian leader had not decided whether to go to the special session of the U.N. General Assembly at all.

But after meeting with Secretary of State Colin Powell, Shaath said there is no alternative to a forceful U.S. presence if there is to be peace between Israel and the Palestinians. He declined to say whether the United States is preparing an initiative.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has canceled his attendance to remain in Israel and address security problems there. Foreign Minister Shimon Peres will head Israel's delegation.

On Iraq, which reportedly has a terrorist training camp for Islamic fundamentalists, Rice said: ``There is plenty of reason to watch Iraq.'' She cited its quest for weapons of mass destruction and continued designs on neighboring oil-rich Kuwait, which the United States helped liberate from Iraqi invasion a decade ago.

United Nations inspections of Iraqi weapons programs ended more than three years ago.

sorce: http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011108/ts/bush_un_4.html

Danustouch
November 8th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Oh dear....this does not bode well. Whether or NOT Bush is right in his choice. It just doesn't bode well......

Xois
November 9th, 2001, 08:29 AM
See this is part of the problem...he has NO diplomatic skills!

He doesn't have the skill to play both sides of the diplomatic fence...When Isralies are killed, he calls Sharon and makes nicey nicey...when Palistinians are killed, the phone is silent...

This is the type of bias that is being amplified in the middle east! and they are RIGHT!

And to use Hamas or Hezbolla is an excuse! The world court bowed to Isrealie pressure and folded when Palistanians wanted to bring war crimes charges against Sharon (who deserves them, in my judgement)...Bush can talk about the radical elements in Arafat's administration, but does nothing about the radical elements (Sharon HIMSELF) when speaking of the Isrealie government...

Barak was our best shot...now its giong to take WAR to many more deaths (at the rate we are going diplomatically) to come to a settlement in the region...

Sharon keeps saying "Isreal is ready to make painful concessions" Yeah right! why...he doesn't have to...there is no pressure, especially if we keep snubing Arafat, for them to make a change...stop the settlements, pull out of palestinian territory, and split Jeresulem (sp)

I am sure the Palestian government will happily get rid of its radical elements, when Isreal gets rid of theirs...and for that matter, when WE get rid of ours!!!

God, the entire thing makes me so angry!!!

Myst
November 9th, 2001, 08:36 AM
Yup. I agree Danustouch and Xois.

Xander67
November 9th, 2001, 09:14 AM
yeah I agree too,
hopefully Colin Powell will be able to make up for this major shortcomming....but I really thought he did a great job in adressing the people last night...

Xois
November 9th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Xander
it was a pep rally..nothing wrong with that...but it was only a pep rally...

Xander67
November 9th, 2001, 10:36 AM
yeah Xois that was the whole idea, it was intended to pump us all up before the big game....

big game as in ... Holiday shopping
and once again we will be at war during the holiday season...

so I think it was a good "pep rally" as you call it...I like that term

He will need the support becasue of the issue of the Moslim holy days, and our men and women will once again be away from thier family for the holiday...

Illuminatus
November 9th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Arafat shakes hands with world leaders with one hand, and directes the PLO with the other. Hello??? This guy ADVOCATES terrorism, and regularly incites palestinians to acts of violence when he doesn't get his way. Wake up people. Refusing to speak to this man is a wise and prudent move on Bush's part.

- Illuminatus!

talamh
November 9th, 2001, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Illuminatus
Arafat shakes hands with world leaders with one hand, and directes the PLO with the other.

And Sharon doesn't? How would you feel if Bush refused to meet with Sharon? bb talamh

Aengus McTeague
November 9th, 2001, 02:49 PM
Gackkkk! I actually have to agree with Ill, here. Israel has ALREADY given up damn near every concession that Palestine has demanded. I am not saying that Israel's hands are clean here, but to compare Sharon to Arafat is a gross misrepresentation of the facts and knee-jerk political correctness.

Illuminatus
November 9th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Aengus McTeague
Gackkkk! I actually have to agree with Ill, here. Israel has ALREADY given up damn near every concession that Palestine has demanded. I am not saying that Israel's hands are clean here, but to compare Sharon to Arafat is a gross misrepresentation of the facts and knee-jerk political correctness.

Yeah. With the PLO, if you give them an inch, they demand another mile. Also Sharon is not a terrorist. Israeli forces don't kill civillians. (hint - if the 15 year old kid is throwing a rock at your head.. he's no longer a civilian, he's a solder with a weapon).
Had to throw that clarification in.

TheTheologin
November 9th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Ill took the words right out my mouth

Xois
November 9th, 2001, 05:45 PM
Israel has ALREADY given up damn near every concession that Palestine has demanded.

Except the end of settlements...which EVERYONE, INCLUDING THE MITCHEL report advocates ending!

HELLO!?

Sharon can't shake hands with terriosts...HE IS THE TERRORIST!

Illuminatus
November 9th, 2001, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Xois

Except the end of settlements...which EVERYONE, INCLUDING THE MITCHEL report advocates ending!

HELLO!?

Sharon can't shake hands with terriosts...HE IS THE TERRORIST!

WHATever! (I am making a "W" with my fingers like the girls from clueless, because you are.. well you get it!!)

I assure you, if Sharon were a terrorist, he'd be in the same place as Sobadon Milosivic.. on trial for war crimes.

But he's not.

Building a settlement does not a terrorist make.

Xois
November 9th, 2001, 06:05 PM
I assure you, if Sharon were a terrorist, he'd be in the same place as Sobadon Milosivic.. on trial for war crimes.

Do you have any idea what he is accused of doing? and that charges were going to be brought to the War Crimes tribunal?!

So if settlements are fine, Let me just come on over to your place and push you out, and just build my place...since there is no problem...you won't mind...right?

If it makes you feel better to think I am clueless, you go right ahead...

Xois
November 9th, 2001, 06:08 PM
They relate to massacres in the Sabra and Shatila Palestinian refugee camps in Beirut during the 1982 Israeli invasion of Lebanon when Mr Sharon was Israeli Defence Minister.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_1577000/1577630.stm

http://www.web.amnesty.org/web/news.nsf/WebAll/A13E3C3399DC3A3A80256AD90057029E?OpenDocument

http://www.hrw.org/press/2001/06/isr0622.htm

just a few

UnSolon
November 9th, 2001, 07:08 PM
The whole Isralie issue is HUGE. Isreal has been the US's pet in the mid-east for years.

How would you feel if 50 years ago, a huge wave of immigration arrived in your home country, LITERALLY forced you from your homes, making you, or your parents, or your grandparents, ALL reffugees.

This is what happened in Isreal. The forming of the Zionist state in Palastine. And hence Isreal as a country is formed.

You can glorify it all you want, say its a Homeland for the jews or whatever, but it is still and invasion and displacement of thousands of people.

The reprecussions are still being felt in the region, and will be felt for years to come untill a LASTING peace process can be achieved.

I DO NOT agree with Isreals standpoint.
I DO NOT agree with Palastinians standpoint.

They need to come to an agreement which will work for both, making concessions from both sides.

Palastine is guilty of some form of terror, just as Isreal. Daily bulldozing of palastinian homes is terror in my books. The assasanation of a hard line right wing Israelie cabnet minister is terror in my mind. The targeted killing of dozens of Palastinian military commanders is also terror in my books.

You can not excuse one while justifieing the other. It is impossible. The USA has been walking a dangerous line with their stance with Isreal for years.

Hopefully peace will come to the world...
UnSolon

Xois
November 9th, 2001, 07:12 PM
UnSolon

WORD!

I am pro-palestinian but ANIT-BONEHEAD first and both sides are acting like BoneHeads!

The Palestianians deserve a homeland too. Just as Isrealies...

SpikesPet5150
November 10th, 2001, 04:58 PM
The history of the world is not people making friends.
~Bree

arewynn
November 14th, 2001, 01:15 AM
they both deserve a place to live in peace
they both need to stop supporting terrorisim

UnSolon
November 14th, 2001, 03:16 AM
Nicely, and simply, put Arewynn :thumbsup:

Xois
November 14th, 2001, 10:34 AM
The history of the world is not people making friends.

Well, maybe its time the model changed...becuase this method is failing...

SpikesPet5150
November 14th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Hey, never said I liked the fact.. but it's true. And I think you're right... it does need to change. But technically it hasn't "failed" until we all somehow grew these amazing consciences, or maybe it's just some kind of social ramification or maybe it's because of the levels of education we've all recieved...
~Bree