PDA

View Full Version : need help

Burning Goddess
November 9th, 2001, 06:40 PM
I need to know if anyone knows of any help for a pulled shoulder. I pulled my right shoulder muscle 2 weeks ago and the pain has gotten worse. I'm in physical therapy but it's not really helping. Anyone know of pain releaving herbs?

Nyx
November 9th, 2001, 10:45 PM
herbs, no.
But Aleve, or it's cheaper counter part, Naproxen Sodium, works VERY well, and doesn't irrate the stomach or make you drowsy. I use(d) this when I have/had shoulder pain. Advil also works.

If you are in serious pain, and can't find an herbal suppliment, I would consider asking your doctor for another type of medicine, and I'd tell the physical therapist about how the pain is getting worse. They may be able to adjust their treatment(s) accordingly.

~~Nyx~~
(as always, I'm not a doctor, so, take my advice with a grain of salt. If in doubt, see/ask your doctor.)

Lavender
November 11th, 2001, 12:45 AM
Here's an old folk cure for pulled muscles: soak a flannel cloth in buttermilk & warm it in the oven. Make sure it's not too hot. Apply it over the area & cover to keep the heat in.

And a really easy simple one: Mix in 1 tsp cayenne pepper with 1/2 cup olive oil. Massage as much as you need on the area as often as you need. Make sure you wash your hands really well after. That stuff can burn your eyeballs off! :p

Lavender
November 11th, 2001, 01:01 AM
I didn't answer your question very well, did I? :p

Willow bark & yarrow are great for pain management. But first, you're not allergic to asprin? Both contains salicin & salicylates which are components in asprins.

You can try making your own pain killer. Soak 1/2 tsp of willowbark in 2 cups of cold filtered water overnight. Add in 1 tsp yarrow. Bring to a boil & simmer 15-20 mins. Strain & store in a clean container in the fridge when cooled. Sip 1/4 cup slowly as needed for pain. You can also add this to juice or other herbal teas.

Nyx
November 11th, 2001, 02:20 AM
Would either of those cause people with allergies to pollens, grasses, etc, to have an allergic reaction?

~~Nyx~~

Lavender
November 12th, 2001, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Nyx
Would either of those cause people with allergies to pollens, grasses, etc, to have an allergic reaction?

~~Nyx~~

You mean the willow bark & yarrow? I would say no to the willow bark & maybe to yarrow. I haven't heard of anyone with hayfever to react that way to yarrow but I don't know everything. :p Usually, it's chamomile that hayfever sufferers may react to. You can make the tea without the yarrow. You can replace it with another 1/2 tsp of willow bark, making that a total of 1 tsp per 2 cups of water.

Nyx
November 12th, 2001, 06:02 PM
:)
Good to know. I suppose if I don't have any allergic reactions to Chamomile, there's nothing much to worry about.

~~Nyx~~

Lavender
November 12th, 2001, 06:43 PM
I suffer from hayfever too but I don't seem to react to chamomile. If you're concern, take a little bit & wait 24 hours to see if you react with the yarrow.