PDA

View Full Version : making catnip oil, how?

Agaliha
August 11th, 2005, 06:50 PM
I'm planning on making a small amount of catnip oil for anointing my Bast statues, but I can't find anywhere they tells how to do it.
I thought I had fresh-- but uh, I guess my cats ate the rest and it died-- so all I have is dried. I know when rubbed the dried releases the scent...so it could still work...I think.
I would use olive oil for the base-- I don't have access to anything fancy (well I do have grape seed oil-- is that better?)
So from my guessing, I assume I would put the oil in a jar, put the rubbed dried catnip in there, let it set for 4 days then strain?
:huh:

nag champa
August 15th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Olive oil is best. There's no need for anything fancy. I'd suggest pulverizing the catnip; I've found that a small electric coffee grinder works well for this. Use a glass container, and as much catnip as you can spare. Warm the oil to about 150 degrees, and pour over the herb until it's just barely covered. Seal the jar, and agitate... often. I'd leave it to infuse for at least a week, and then press and strain the oil. You'll probably have the best luck using a tight-weave cloth for this. Bottle the oil tightly.

Agaliha
August 15th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks, I'll try to do that :)

:boing:

Suzette
August 15th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Olive oil is best. There's no need for anything fancy. I'd suggest pulverizing the catnip; I've found that a small electric coffee grinder works well for this. Use a glass container, and as much catnip as you can spare. Warm the oil to about 150 degrees, and pour over the herb until it's just barely covered. Seal the jar, and agitate... often. I'd leave it to infuse for at least a week, and then press and strain the oil. You'll probably have the best luck using a tight-weave cloth for this. Bottle the oil tightly.

My thoughts exactly. And catnip oil sounds like a good thing to have around!!

Flar's Freyja
August 16th, 2005, 02:29 AM
You can also make an "infused oil." Simply put the catnip leaves and flowers in a bottle of oil and let it sit in the sun for 48 hours of sunlight (4 days). Your oil will be automatically charged by the sun, and you can plan it around a moon cycle if you want. Full moon is this Friday. You could start it tomorrow to have it begin charging under a waxing moon.

If you want to make a large quantity or need it to last a while, jojoba goes rancid less quickly than the others. Heating any oil to a high temperature can cause it to go rancid much more quickly.

Paracelsus
August 16th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Wonderful as electric grinders are, there is much more magickal efficacy in grinding by hand - make it a meditation.
(I know it's a pain in the arse, and takes forever, but maybe that kind of dedication and effort is the point!)

CzechWoods
August 16th, 2005, 06:47 AM
i d use valeria root in olive oil or even essential valeria oil. just make sure you get a good pesticide free quality. in germany its KBA (kontroliert biologischer anbau) or at least DAB I believe Deutsche Apotheker something, lol, not sure about the last letter of head.

Agaliha
August 16th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks for all the ideas everyone :)
_catroll_