PDA

View Full Version : Coffee doesn't cut it!

Dryad's Wyrd
November 12th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Is there any thing that I can do to stay awake? Coffee just isn't working anymore and sleep isn't the issue. I'm just so drowsy all the time. Anyone have any suggestions?

UnSolon
November 12th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Take a nap :bubbles:

Dryad's Wyrd
November 12th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Lately it has been pretty hard to take a nap. I'm trying to go to school, raise my little girl, and work to support us. I don't know how single mothers of two or more children do it! Honestly, they are to be commended!

Lavender
November 12th, 2001, 06:38 PM
Hi Dryad, it sounds like you're really over extending yourself. You need to bring your energy level back up. Staying awake may not be what you need. Sometimes, a short nap can do wonders as a pick-me-up. Are you able to do that? Also, are you eating properly and getting proper rest? (Now, here I start nagging :p) You have to take care of yourself so you don't get sick, ok?

A couple of drops of rosemary and peppermint essential oils in a burner can help to refresh your mind & help your concentration. But these are only temporary helps. If you're really, really tired, these things will not be much good either.

hugs!

Eudaimonia
November 12th, 2001, 08:36 PM
This isn't mystical or anything.....

You may have Chronic Fatigue. If you feel tired all the time (even when you get plenty of sleep!) and are fuzzed out constantly, consult a doctor. This is a medical problem!

Dryad's Wyrd
November 12th, 2001, 11:17 PM
Thanks Wildchild! You're such a sweetie! I have been eating very well but I guess that with mid terms in full force, I haven't been getting the rest that I should be getting! I'll give the rosemary and pepermint oil a try!

Lavender
November 13th, 2001, 12:54 AM
:thumbsup: Let me how it worked for you!

Yvonne Belisle
November 13th, 2001, 08:06 AM
I was a single parent of three for a while. Here are some ideas that you may not have considered. Find a single parent support group and make friends you can trade baby sitting and get some rest. Make your study time during quiet moments and sleep when the baby sleeps. Don't forget your downtime without it you can get snappy and waspish, you are also not as alert and you will not remember things as well. Make tape recordings of your notes and play them while you make diner or are in the shower or car. If you have a study partner that can help too. If you use the tapes all semester you will find that midterms and finals aren't as stressfull.

Dryad's Wyrd
November 13th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Thanks so much for the ideas! *hugs* I just finished my last mid term so I should be able to get some more rest! I will definately give your suggestions a try!
Thanks

treeworker
December 5th, 2001, 12:39 AM
Dryad's Wyrd,

I have found that Ma Huang helps me to stay awake. If you have heart problems though, be careful! I have hear problems but does not seem to raise my blood pressure as it does in some people.
It is natural ephedrine.
Hope this helps.
Treeworker.

Myst
December 5th, 2001, 12:44 AM
The tree of life grounding meditation always did wonders for me when I couldn't keep my eyes open (you know, roots in the ground, drawing energy up to them, growing to the sun, very energizing).

Sora
December 5th, 2001, 06:59 PM
I agree with Myst. Grounding is a great. Can't believe you'd turn your back on coffee :)

Dryad's Wyrd
December 6th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. How do you do the tree of life grounding? I always do my own little grownding that I made up. It sounds interesting.

MammaStar
December 6th, 2001, 12:43 PM
This isn't all that mystical or anything. I used to be tired all the time too. I'm a single Mom also. Especially around 3 PM. I started drinking a lot of water. I bring it to work with me each morning, and refill it as needed. The bottle I use is a one liter bottle. I usually go through 2 of them a day. I find I'm not as drowsy in the afternoon.

Demeter
December 6th, 2001, 05:07 PM
Drinking lots and lots of water is a good idea, since drowsiness and mental fog can be related to dehydration.

Another thing to look into is what you've been eating. If you have been eating a lot of stuff with sugar in it, you could be having blood sugar reactions. When I eat something with sugar in it, I wind up drowsy about an hour afterwards. If none of the other suggestions here work, try dropping refined sugars and starches out of your diet temporarily. You may not need to go on a full-blown low-carb diet, like I did, but it will probably help to cut back some -- almost everybody eats too much sugar. Try protein or fatty snacks (macadamia nuts, cheese, chicken, etc.) to boost energy. The energy release is slower, but more sustained.

Siren
December 7th, 2001, 09:56 PM
Drinking lots of water is good....since dehydration can cause drowsiness....you should be drinking 8-12 glasses a day anyway.....

but, caffeine also causes dehydration...so that can be a cause of your problem, and why the coffee isn't working anymore....*grin*

hope that helped.....

dragonmagic64
December 14th, 2001, 08:08 PM
I can relate , 70 hours a week 7 days a week. 12 yr old 2 yr old. single .
yeap . never sleep more then 7 hours , never have a day off. 3 months into forever. don't know how long I can keep going.
But on the brighter side:sunny:
I have some realizations.
No alcohol, not even a beer. makes me really sleepy . :evilway:
coffee in the mornig , with no breakfast, :eek: seems to help get everything moving.
Lots and lots of water with the coffee, :bigredgri: helps the dehydration thing. attitude :crylaugh: seems to be the key.
When I'm :) :hearteyes happy I'm not tired. yet if I allow myself to become :wah: :ack: depressed or :flamer::razz: angry then I get tired very quickly.
Naps just don't fit into my schedual. I don't have my kids full time, but in the evenings 4 nights a week. so I don't know how you would take a nap either.
I don't have time to really exersize :boing: anymore. But I use to alot, I think that might help. Good luck , and don't get too run down. I'm rooting for you . dragonmagic64

dragonwyfe
December 19th, 2001, 11:14 PM
are dehydrated- i hear its fairly common-I am the"eternal dieter"- and that is what the dietician at the diet group to which I belong said was one of the signs...I drink miso soup too...and the OTHER thing is to cut DOWN on the caffeine-it dehydrates you. I suggest a little sunshine and fresh air too(at least 20 mins) and some exercise too-Well that is all my suggestions:boing:

seawitch
December 20th, 2001, 03:52 AM
yes get as much rest as possible, and drink lots of fluids. O.J. is great it will give you good steady energy.
i ordered from www.basementshaman.com some mad cocoa it works great, with sustained energy, no jitters and it taste good. made with cocoa, betel nut and some other well renowned herbs used for centuries or longer by aborignals from around the world. it works great for me and my husband who is sensitive with stimulants. he didn't get tweeky either.
they also hae a large selection of exotic plants you can grow, and herbs that can be used in other of the aspects of the craft. as well as healing

story
December 20th, 2001, 11:27 AM
just a slight warning on the ephedrine......
in any form, it can still hurt you if you take too much. Had a tia becuase of that stuff.
It just ain't something you can endlessly abuse, like coffee.

seawitch
December 20th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by story
just a slight warning on the ephedrine......
in any form, it can still hurt you if you take too much. Had a tia becuase of that stuff.
It just ain't something you can endlessly abuse, like coffee.

if i take to much at one time it just makes me sick :sick:
or if i use it more than 3 or 4 times a week.
it helps to take ma hung with food. and stay hydrated.
to prevent jitters.

Niamh
December 21st, 2001, 05:11 PM
Lots of great advice in here... but so far I think the best is to consult your doctor! It can be chronic fatigue. Or it could be the stresses of life getting you down.

flar7
December 29th, 2001, 09:53 PM
or chronic fatigue is one of the symptoms of diabetes.
Are you thirsty alot? Peeing alot? These too are symptoms.

There are so many things that can cause fatigue.
1st. Try, exercise, eating healthy, and going outside. Being happy helps.
2nd. If above doesnt cut it, then perhaps a doctor if it is truly
bothering you enough to worry, and it seems as if it is.

LadyEpona
December 31st, 2001, 11:17 PM
I work twelve hour night shifts. Being tired can be and is an issue for me.

I found that good filtered water is important. I am more awake when I keep hydrated.

Also Guarana is an herb that can help you stay awake. I think it is less side effects that ephedra (Ma Huang).

On occasion when I haven't got enough sleep I drink one of those new energy drinks that are being marketed. My favorite is RockStar its has more Guarana than others and also has Milk Thistle to help with your liver. Biggest problems with these drinks are the sugar content.

I hope this helps.
Good luck with your endevors.

Brightest Blessings

Dryad's Wyrd
January 13th, 2002, 10:41 PM
Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions and cautions! ~*hugs*~ I got a chance to relax quite a bit over the holidays and practice meditating. I feel very renewed. The tree of life and upping my H20 intake works wonders. Thanks!

mol
January 14th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Id just say drink more coffee. Thats what I do.

Myst
January 14th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by mol
Id just say drink more coffee. Thats what I do.

Coke for me.