PDA

View Full Version : The snake is back in the house....

Old Witch
August 13th, 2005, 08:10 PM
And he got away this time..... :holycow: I've got to keep an eye on the birds until he's caught...then he's going on a little trip to the park...............Or is gonna end up in pieces if Ken sees him again.......

SS'sBaby
August 13th, 2005, 10:11 PM
What kind of Snake?

Old Witch
August 14th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Black Snake, a young one........Harmless enough, but I have pet birds.........

SS'sBaby
August 14th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Ahhhhhhh.......
Gotcha.

Flar's Freyja
August 14th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Flar's aunt isn't happy about my putting that night light at his grave. I ran into them the other night at the cemetary and she said light attracts snakes.

It was all I could do not to say "well, at least we'll be able to see them!"

SS'sBaby
August 15th, 2005, 12:37 AM
:rollingla

Old Witch
August 15th, 2005, 07:03 AM
:lol:

Eldric_Dragonsblood
August 16th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Freyja,

Flar's aunt isn't happy about my putting that night light at his grave. I ran into them the other night at the cemetary and she said light attracts snakes.

It was all I could do not to say "well, at least we'll be able to see them!"

Tell your aunt that light does not attract snakes.

Prey and warmth attract snakes. Concidering gravestones/markers usually heat up in the day, they are still warm at night, you have an excellent snake night time basking spot. Concidering the large numbers for tasty plants and sugars people put in grave yards (these are known as "flower bouquets"), there are usually large numbers of rodentia, reptilian, insect preys. Again, lots of prey animals means a better habitat.

Snakes are not like bugs; they don't just see light and go, "hey! pretty!"

Oh, and you can also tell your aunt, most snakes in the US, not in desert areas (last I recall, Flar's memorial site is in Tulsa area, correct?), are primarily diurnal (active during the day).

If you see a snake, just let it run away, it won't bother you! Snakes strike humans because they are defending themselves. If you corner it, it will defend against you.

OW, if you catch the snake, tie it into an old pillow case and give me a holler, I will relocate in the woods at my house for you.

Flar's Freyja
August 16th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Freyja,

Tell your aunt that light does not attract snakes.

Prey and warmth attract snakes. Concidering gravestones/markers usually heat up in the day, they are still warm at night, you have an excellent snake night time basking spot. Concidering the large numbers for tasty plants and sugars people put in grave yards (these are known as "flower bouquets"), there are usually large numbers of rodentia, reptilian, insect preys. Again, lots of prey animals means a better habitat.

Snakes are not like bugs; they don't just see light and go, "hey! pretty!"

Oh, and you can also tell your aunt, most snakes in the US, not in desert areas (last I recall, Flar's memorial site is in Tulsa area, correct?), are primarily diurnal (active during the day).

If you see a snake, just let it run away, it won't bother you! Snakes strike humans because they are defending themselves. If you corner it, it will defend against you.

OW, if you catch the snake, tie it into an old pillow case and give me a holler, I will relocate in the woods at my house for you.

_twohorns_ _twohorns_ _twohorns_

Bless you! That makes perfect sense - and when I made a brief stop on the way to work yesterday to leave roses for Flar, his sister and their grandson, I saw a rat carcass on my way out :blushake:

If I do see one, I'll probably run like hell....... :excuseme: