PDA

View Full Version : Hoooo! Wine Lovers!

Tom Bombadil
August 16th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Can I get a recommendation from you, please?

I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with a tomato variety called Green Zebra, and am thinking of making it into sauce. I'm thinking this tomato, being a bit more acidic than your regular tomato, would benefit from the addition of white wine to the sauce. That, and I imagine green tomatoes and red wine will cause brown sauce. But I do not usually drink whites! It's not likely I'll use a whole bottle on tomato sauce, so can you recommend a good white that goes with acidic food that a red (merrrrrlot) lover will....love??

Merci! :weirdsmil

RowanMegaera
August 17th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Oooh, definitely a question for one of the Senior Wine Ho's... alas, I am just a Wine Slut and have no suggestions.

Mnemosyne
August 17th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Well, if you're making the wine for a sauce, a dry white wine is good. So you can try a Sauvignon Blanc. If you don't like drinking, make some more recipes. For instance, it's good in risotto. Yum!

I just made some tomato sauce with white wine. Actually, I found the recipe in this forum. I think that my tomatoes were too ripe though. My sauce came out to be more like soup.

Jenne
August 17th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Can I get a recommendation from you, please?

I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with a tomato variety called Green Zebra, and am thinking of making it into sauce. I'm thinking this tomato, being a bit more acidic than your regular tomato, would benefit from the addition of white wine to the sauce. That, and I imagine green tomatoes and red wine will cause brown sauce. But I do not usually drink whites! It's not likely I'll use a whole bottle on tomato sauce, so can you recommend a good white that goes with acidic food that a red (merrrrrlot) lover will....love??

Merci! :weirdsmil

Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc, White Burgundy or even some Pinot Grigios...those are my suggestions. If you plan to drink it, go with a SB or a PG.

Now, you can also go with a light, drier red that because it's light in color won't necessarily turn the sauce brown. Pinot Noir or a Burgundy would be good for this.

Good luck--and tell us how it turned out! :D

(and RM--shame on you--you're definitely a Wine HO--not just a slut! ;) )

Tom Bombadil
August 17th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc, White Burgundy or even some Pinot Grigios...those are my suggestions. If you plan to drink it, go with a SB or a PG.

Now, you can also go with a light, drier red that because it's light in color won't necessarily turn the sauce brown. Pinot Noir or a Burgundy would be good for this.

Good luck--and tell us how it turned out! :D

(and RM--shame on you--you're definitely a Wine HO--not just a slut! ;) )

Heheheh, I guess according to the admins y'all are "Wine Lovers". :veryweird Thanks for the recs...you know I saw a white merlot the other day??? I really didn't know what to think of it, but if the Hos speak of white burgundy and don't think a pinky color will turn my sauce brown perhaps I will try it. Or maybe I'll just play it safe and go with a real white. I see the Sauvignon Blanc has scored two points already...

Hm...which of those whites would be middle-sweet? I don't care for sweet wine but I'm thinking the acid in the tomato could use a bit of counterbalance. (Not sweet translates to "dry", right?)

If I get enough tomatoes I'll make two batches. White, red or whatever, you really can't have too much wine in the house. Mmmm....rissoto...

You know, Mnem, my sauce has been simmering in the crockpot about 12 hrs now and is looking pretty chunky-soupy. I haven't run it though the blender but I might after all. Most recipes have you stick a can of tomato paste in the sauce but there's no way I'm tainting my garden fresh tomato sauce with anything out of a can. If I can't use it on pasta, tomato soup is just fine, thank you very much! I have also seen people thicken it with cornstarch but I dunno...how to the Italians do it? Is this why the all-day simmering? Hm...