PDA

View Full Version : Group 3 Lesson 1 Assignment 2

SilverClaw
August 19th, 2005, 06:51 PM
REMOVED DUE TO OUTDATED MATERIAL, if you want to learn more about Runes
Please go do a search in the divination forum thanks.

SilverClaw
August 19th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Assignment:

1- a & b )Making runes out of birch or pine wood

2- I will be finishing the green pouch that is shown in the first post and doing some needle work to the one red cloth with fringes on it for my rune cloth.
3- done

4 - Pictures coming soon

EDIT TO ADD : due to not being able to replace my wood burner I just used stones.

Auroro
August 20th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Assignment:

1-Decide on a) if you are going to buy or make your runes I've already purchased mine

b) if you make your runes what type are you going to make and out of what materials? N/A

2- Decide on whether or not you will be making a rune cloth and a pouch or using something else to store your runes in, or whether or not you will be buying them as well. I've already purchased mine, it's green velvet.

3- Post your decisions to the above questions Done

4 - And either way if you are buying or making your Runes, or accessories when they are complete or recived I would like you to post what they look like. They're purple (made of amethyst) and the rune markings are golden.

SilverClaw
August 20th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Thanks for posting :D

watchman11
August 20th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Assignment:

1- I've bought mine. It's a Black Onyx set.

2- I've bought it too. A black velvet one.

4 - Posted

SilverClaw
August 20th, 2005, 09:59 AM
That is a really nice set watchman11, thanks for posting :D:thumbsup:

OrionNeb87
August 20th, 2005, 08:26 PM
1a- I'm going to make my runes.

1b- I'll probably make mine out of some wood I found in my back yard though I'm not sure what type of wood it is.

2- I will be making a rune cloth and pouch.

3- Done.

4 - I'll post pictures later.

watchman11
August 21st, 2005, 04:44 AM
Thanks Hymnia. Can't wait to see the other students' Rune set

wolfos3d
August 21st, 2005, 05:36 AM
1-I had a set of runes given to me.

2- I'm going to make my pouch.

3- Done

4 - I might not be able to show you the pouch when I make it because I don't have a digi cam.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/wolfos3d/93_1.jpg

Happy Shrew
August 21st, 2005, 02:58 PM
1 a) I own a set of runes but would like to attempt making a set from those decorative glass things they sell for home decor if that's acceptable. :)

b) I'll be doing Elder Futhark painted on glass. Green or aqua glass if I can find it, otherwise whatever feels right. Not sure what color paint I want to use, but whatever it'll be, it'll be high-contrast.

2- I will make a rune cloth that may or may not look like it was done by a five year old. Same goes for a pouch - I like playing with strange fabrics.

3- DONE

4 - I'll post a picture of the pouch that came with the set I already have. They stopped selling the blue quartz set so I'll have to take a picture later when I get my camera back.
http://www.shoppalstores.com/strega/image//NAVY34BAG.jpg
Simple but effective.

Sionnach le Fey
August 21st, 2005, 05:56 PM
I'll warn you now, I'm moving house tomorrow so my assignment will be one of the last to be handed in. It'll take a while to get the computer set up again. But I will make sure I make the due date _travolta_

SilverClaw
August 21st, 2005, 06:47 PM
but would like to attempt making a set from those decorative glass things they sell for home decor if that's acceptable.
Happy Shrew did you look at these?

http://www.mysticwicks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32935 (http://www.mysticwicks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32935)
http://www.mysticwicks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40027
(http://www.mysticwicks.com/attachme...achmentid=40027)
I think that should answer your question :D

2- I will make a rune cloth that may or may not look like it was done by a five year old. Same goes for a pouch - I like playing with strange fabrics.

No problem Happy Shrew

Silver Nightfire, just let me know if anything else comes up ok ?

Happy Shrew
August 21st, 2005, 08:51 PM
Happy Shrew did you look at these?

http://www.mysticwicks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32935 (http://www.mysticwicks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32935)
http://www.mysticwicks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40027
(http://www.mysticwicks.com/attachme...achmentid=40027)
I think that should answer your question :D

DER! :collapse: That's what I'll be doing, then.

SilverClaw
August 21st, 2005, 08:57 PM
:lol:

Evendusk
August 21st, 2005, 09:02 PM
I have a set of ceramic runes in a little burlap pouch but instead of using those (they feel and sound terrible) I'm making a set with river stones. I found some copperish paint that will look nice on the stones. Not sure about the pouch.

Haruka2077
August 22nd, 2005, 01:23 AM
1. I will be making my runes. I have some ash staves already cut and I will carve them and finish them with beeswax.

2. I have a tapestry pouch that I bought to keep my runes in. I may look into purchasing a rune cloth as well.

SilverClaw
August 22nd, 2005, 03:10 AM
great thanks for posting Evendusk and Haruka2077:D

Retto-Pyrrah
August 22nd, 2005, 01:48 PM
1a. Making my own set
1b. I'll be making them out of wood. I'm using a branch from a flowering crabapple tree in my front yard. It's a pretty special tree to me. Every spring it gives me beautiful and delicate pink flowers right outside my bedroom window. In the summer my son and I spend much time playing in the fountain shaded under its gorgeous red leaves. I'll make sure I thank it properly :)
The runes will be Elder Fupark because that is what the class is using. I'm not quite sure i'm ready to venture off on my own yet.

2. I'm going to The Pittsburgh Renaissane festival next weekend. They usually have fun pouches and such. If I find something there I will probably use it. If not, I have plenty of cute little boxes I can use.

3. No!

4. Will do. I have no idea when I'll have them done. Hopefull by the end of this week.

SilverClaw
August 22nd, 2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks Retto-Pyrrah for posting:D

OrionNeb87
August 22nd, 2005, 04:32 PM
I just wanted to mention that I found out that the wood I found in my yard that I will be using to make the runes is oak. :)

SilverClaw
August 22nd, 2005, 04:34 PM
Oak ? Oh you are so lucky I love oak :D Look forward to seing what they look like when you are done :D

Flaire-FireStar
August 22nd, 2005, 11:39 PM
1-Decide on a) if you are going to buy or make your runes
Despite already having a set, I think I'll make a new one.

b) if you make your runes what type are you going to make and out of what materials?
Pebbles from the beach. And acrylic paint.

(FYI this class uses Germanic Elder Futhark, if you chose another type it is your responsibility to make sure you have the right rune symbols and meanings and you will need to post these.)

2- Decide on whether or not you will be making a rune cloth and a pouch or using something else to store your runes in, or whether or not you will be buying them as well.
Again, already having one, but in need of a new one. ;)

3- Post your decisions to the above questions
:)

4 - And either way if you are buying or making your Runes, or accessories when they are complete or recived I would like you to post what they look like.
To be posted later.

Auroro
August 22nd, 2005, 11:55 PM
Hmm... after some considerable thought, I think I've decided to make some out of some form of wood. Not sure yet, I wanna research different treelore and such. It may take some time, but for now, I have the amethyst ones. hehe.

Blessed be.
Whisper.

SilverClaw
August 23rd, 2005, 03:20 AM
Thanks Flaire for posting and Whisper Arro that is not a problem espeically since you have the other set already :D

BlackEyed_Susan
August 23rd, 2005, 08:26 AM

At this point, I'm not sure whether I'll be buying or making them. I had been planning on making a set out of Sculpey, but I decided to wait to post about it here until I got moved into my dorm - and when I moved in over the weekend, I discovered that I don't think I have access to an oven to bake them in. It's going to depend on whether I can find an oven, find enough rocks fast enough, or have the money to buy a set *sigh*. So - I'll update when I know what I'm doing, which should be within a week (gonna see if I can find enough rocks by then!).

2- Decide on whether or not you will be making a rune cloth and a pouch or using something else to store your runes in, or whether or not you will be buying them as well.

I've already made a pouch to store them in - it's about 5"x5", made of a purple-brown-red crushed velvet, with a cream ribbon and copper bead to close it with, and I made a matching cloth to go with it.

AutumnRain
August 23rd, 2005, 09:06 AM
1) I will be making my own runes from stones I have collected from a nearby river.

2) I will be making my own pouch from black crushed velvet & will hopefully have enough material left over to be able to make a rune cloth as well.

3) Done.

4) Coming Soon!

Love & Light,
Autumn

SilverClaw
August 23rd, 2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks BlackEyed_Susan and AutumnRain for posting.

So - I'll update when I know what I'm doing, which should be within a week (gonna see if I can find enough rocks by then!). Ok BlackEyed_Susan not a problem. :)

SilverClaw
August 23rd, 2005, 11:29 AM
NOTE TO CLASS

Due to the fact I have another COT class to teach and have classes I am taking I am going to go ahead and make some changes to the rune class and get the next two assignements up. Those of you who have your runes already can continue on if you would like or wait till everyone catches up that is up to you. Those of you who are making you runes do not worry I will give you all lots of time to do everything.

So I am going to go get the next lesson ready now.
Talk to you all later
Hymnia

Happy Shrew
August 23rd, 2005, 02:53 PM
I found my rune material! :D I found some lustre beads that mesmerized me. I couldn't make up my mind between the pearly white or the ultra-shiny black, so I got both and will figure it out once I see what my options are for paint.

I like them because they're so nice and round, curved on one site and flat on the other. It'll be nice to have a set where all of the runes have the same shape and size. If anyone's still looking for materials and is near a Yankee One Dollar, take a look - they come in bags of 100 for oopsies. ;)

SilverClaw
August 23rd, 2005, 03:01 PM
Happy Shrew glad you found the matieral you will use and lok forward to seeing what they look like :D

Retto-Pyrrah
August 23rd, 2005, 07:32 PM
If I have a question about runes for the teach...where is the appropriate place to post it?

SilverClaw
August 23rd, 2005, 07:58 PM
Does it pertain to this assigment? If so right here.

Retto-Pyrrah
August 23rd, 2005, 08:13 PM
It's more about runes in general. My question has to do with where the power of the runes comes from

Angeni
August 24th, 2005, 12:22 PM
I already have a set of runes. They were sent to me by a wonderful lady for free.
They are made of those decorative glass pebbles, in a peach color.
She also made me a pouch for them, but I am thinking of making another one.
I don't have a cloth as of yet, but am also thinking of making one soon.
I will post pics as soon as I can get the stupid camera to work. :smash:

SilverClaw
August 24th, 2005, 07:31 PM
ok Angeni thanks.

And Retto-Pyrrah I or someone else will try to answer your question soon ok ?

Rick
August 25th, 2005, 12:51 AM
It's more about runes in general. My question has to do with where the power of the runes comes from
Howdy

Hymnia has asked me to field this one. Let's see if I can do it in less than 6,000 words. :hehehehe: Let me quote myself: "On a magical level, runes connect with a very primal Power, the elemental substance of the Universe. It is the same power that binds atoms together, & tears atoms apart." The repository of this Power is the runic stream (some might say the Well of Wyrd). The ability to dip into this stream of energy comes over time with the study of the runes.

Now, here's my more mundane theory: the power of the runes comes from all the free energy that flows all around us every moment of every day... cosmic rays, gamma rays, beta rays, x rays, solar rays, gravity, centrifugal force, centripetal force, tidal force, electro-magnetic energy... well, you get the idea. Certain runes act to focus and/or funnel certain energies. Examples: maybe Sowilo focuses/funnels solar energy; maybe Jera focuses/funnels gravitational or centrifugal/centripetal energies; maybe Laguz focuses/funnels lunar-gravitational/tidal energies; maybe Thurisaz focuses/funnels atmospheric or weather-related energies, etc.

Hope that makes sense.

goblinhill
August 25th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Assignment:

1-I am making my own runes. I have collected 24 stream washed beach pebbles but I will only use them if I have a problem with the set of Dragon Tail Willow runes I am preparing.

2- I am probably going to make a bag eventually but for the moment I will use a pouch that I already have. Because of arthritic hands I can't do as much as I would like, so the bag & cloth will have to wait

3- Post your decisions to the above questions -DONE!

4 - I will post what they look like when I am done making them.

ShadowcatX
August 25th, 2005, 09:25 AM
I'm buying them, and I have a bag I believe will suffice.

SilverClaw
August 25th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Because of arthritic hands I can't do as much as I would like,
goblinhill soudns good and yes i can relate to that.

Soudns good ShadowcatX.

For those of you who want to go ahead and have your runes already you can go onto the next assignment. I also wanted to say I really appreciate the speed at which the assignments are being done :sunny:

Retto-Pyrrah
August 26th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Howdy

Hymnia has asked me to field this one. Let's see if I can do it in less than 6,000 words. Let me quote myself: "On a magical level, runes connect with a very primal Power, the elemental substance of the Universe. It is the same power that binds atoms together, & tears atoms apart." The repository of this Power is the runic stream (some might say the Well of Wyrd). The ability to dip into this stream of energy comes over time with the study of the runes.

Now, here's my more mundane theory: the power of the runes comes from all the free energy that flows all around us every moment of every day... cosmic rays, gamma rays, beta rays, x rays, solar rays, gravity, centrifugal force, centripetal force, tidal force, electro-magnetic energy... well, you get the idea. Certain runes act to focus and/or funnel certain energies. Examples: maybe Sowilo focuses/funnels solar energy; maybe Jera focuses/funnels gravitational or centrifugal/centripetal energies; maybe Laguz focuses/funnels lunar-gravitational/tidal energies; maybe Thurisaz focuses/funnels atmospheric or weather-related energies, etc.

Hope that makes sense.

Yes!
and...
No!
:halohead:
Thanks for the reply, and that did help a bit. I guess what I would like to know now is, what allows the rues to tap into and/or funnel these forces? Lemme see if I can explain better. If we are to believe the speculations on the origins of runes, then we know that the Futhark ws likely an adaptation of an earlier writing system. We also know that the symbols of the Futhark appear as they do because of the practical limitations of carving the letters into wood and stone. So the shape that the runes embodie seems to be as arbitrary as those in our own Alphbet. Does it follow then, that somewhere along the line, the rune symbols were imbued with magickal power much like language is imbued with meaning only when those meanings are agreed upon by it's speakers? If this is true, I would like to know by what power he runes were given thier magick. Are we required to believe the story of Odin if we are to work with runes ( I hope not becasue I am much more inclined to believe that the runes evolved from another writing system, fits much more nicely with occam's razor, you know) Or is thier a piece to the puzzle I am still missing?
I feel like I should know what kind of powers I am messing with...er...calling on before I go any further. I also think a more thurough understanding will facilitate better rune meditation.
Hope you don't mind :viking:

Rick
August 26th, 2005, 02:20 AM
Yes!
and...
No!
:halohead:
Thanks for the reply, and that did help a bit. I guess what I would like to know now is, what allows the rues to tap into and/or funnel these forces? Lemme see if I can explain better. If we are to believe the speculations on the origins of runes, then we know that the Futhark ws likely an adaptation of an earlier writing system. We also know that the symbols of the Futhark appear as they do because of the practical limitations of carving the letters into wood and stone. So the shape that the runes embodie seems to be as arbitrary as those in our own Alphbet. Does it follow then, that somewhere along the line, the rune symbols were imbued with magickal power much like language is imbued with meaning only when those meanings are agreed upon by it's speakers? If this is true, I would like to know by what power he runes were given thier magick. Are we required to believe the story of Odin if we are to work with runes ( I hope not becasue I am much more inclined to believe that the runes evolved from another writing system, fits much more nicely with occam's razor, you know) Or is thier a piece to the puzzle I am still missing?
I feel like I should know what kind of powers I am messing with...er...calling on before I go any further. I also think a more thurough understanding will facilitate better rune meditation.
Hope you don't mind :viking:
OK... first, don't get hung up on trying to make runes be about letters & writing. Rune magic was being practiced way before runes were used to spell words. Yes, they each relate to a sound, but the sound is part of what 'activates' the magic. You can use Fehu, for example, to spell the letter F; modern rune scholars tell us that it symbolizes the horns of cattle... but it more likely represents the antlers of reindeer, the first domesticated herd animals in the Northlands. My point is, a rune is a concept, an idea... the rune staves are just the visual representations of those concepts (and most of those symbols are very old, some are rather universal, such as Gebo... some may have been 'borrowed' from the Romans or Greeks & added later, but many have been found in cave art & such). As to the shapes being limited by carving, the Germanic & Scandanivian peoples carved some pretty intricate knotwork (like their 'cousins', the Celts). The shapes are, at least in my opinion, what they are because that's the shape that channels that rune's particular energy (along with the vibration of that rune's sound). It's not that something allows a rune to tap into the runic stream, the runes allow you, the user, to tap into the runic stream. Runes (concept, symbol, sound) are simply the tool, or conduit. Now, about Odin... Odin didn't 'invent' the runes, he 'discovered' them amongst the roots of Yggdrasil. They were already there. There are many references throughout the Edda of the runes being eternal, of older generations teaching their runelore to Odin (most notably Mimir). Do you have to believe the story to use runes? Nope. But if you wanna use runes effectively, you need to know & understand these stories. It's the difference between memorizing the Periodic Table of Elements, & splitting atoms.

StarCraftLia
August 26th, 2005, 09:02 AM
w

SilverClaw
August 26th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Cool, so which set are you using then?

Happy Shrew
August 27th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Check out my mad painting skillz! It's far from the best paint job I've ever seen, but it's MY paint job.

Bag and cloth coming soon!

SilverClaw
August 27th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Happy Shrew thanks for posting your picture :D

Auroro
August 27th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Okie dokie,
I picked up a set of runes today. They're hematite, and I got the bag shown. These pictures are taken from the site which I bought them from (I actually went to the actual shop and bought them, but it's all good).

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/Lavislov/hematite.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/Lavislov/rune_bag_small1.jpg

And here's a better picture (not from that site, and not the bag I got, but the same idea aye?)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/Lavislov/large_hematite_crystal_runes.jpg

Blessed be.

SilverClaw
August 27th, 2005, 10:24 PM
hematite oooh nice thanks for sharing the pcitures with us :santasmil

Now I am off again to work on my stuff see ya all tommorw.

Starz123
August 28th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Hiya,

i am soo sorry for the late post, having problems with my internet. Its been down for days! Plus am kinda in 2 minds about what and how to make my rune set!!!! :ballonsmi

1. a. Making my own set

b. I was going to make mine out of these glass pebbles I had and then yesterday whiles I was in my backyard I saw these stones and somehow thougth - I should use these! So I am still confused but making them soon!

2. I have this pouch, its kinda colourful, made of an african print material, real pretty! thought I would use that. Its more like a tiny bag.

3. done.

4. Posting soon!

Cheers, :bumpsmili

Starz

SilverClaw
August 28th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks Starz

SkySilver
August 28th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Assignment:

1-Decide on a) if you are going to buy or make your runes--- I will be making them.

b) if you make your runes what type are you going to make and out of what materials?

I will be making them based on the Elder Futhark. I picked some rocks from the front yard. And I am going to paint the symbols on them with acrylic paint and sealing them with a medium.

I already have a pouch that I will be using to store them in. I don't think I will use a cloth - but I am not sure about that yet.

3- Post your decisions to the above questions - :thumbsup:

4 - I will post the pictures of my runes when I am done making them. (I hope I can figure out how to take pictures with my webcam :hmmmmm: ) ***Nevermind, I figured it out. Won't be the greatest quality pics but it will suffice. ;)***

BlackEyed_Susan
August 28th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Update:

I got my runes! I eventually decided to buy them - I'd been trying to find rocks that would work, but I wasn't having much luck finding them of the right shapes and sizes, and the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to use something "natural", like rocks or wood, and I realized that I would have to go buy the materials to make them anyway. So I stopped at the one little New-Agey type store in my area and found a really beautiful set that I'd seen online before, and went ahead and bought those, and so far I'm very happy with the purchase.

They are made of oak, sealed with liniseed oil, and the letters are burned into them. You can see the picture at the website of DragonOak's Pagan Woodshop (http://www.dragonoak.com/runes/futhark.html).

SkySilver
August 28th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Wow, those are beautiful...

Auroro
August 29th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Okay, I've decided that tomorrow, I'm going to go up onto the back hill to see if I can't find a good branch to use to make my own set of runes. I've got everything I need to make em, cept the branch. After I'm done making them, I'll post again describing em and all down to every detail. I do want to say why I've decided to make... I want my energy to be in them, me and everything I am... so tomorrow it'll be. It's a date.

SilverClaw
August 29th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Thanks SkySilver for posting!!

BlackEyed_Susan very nice set.

Whisper Arro have a great day doing your set.

As for ME I guess I am not making my branch set like I had hoped due to not being able to replace my wood burner so I will be making a few stone sets.

SkySilver
August 29th, 2005, 04:54 PM
:yayhawaii I have officially completed my rune set. :fpompoms

I have posted pictures of the runes... Some runes are dark in color and you may not be able to make out the symbols but I improved them a bit with photoshop. They are in order from left to right.

I also included a pic with the runes and the bag I will be using to store them in. As for the cloth they are on, I may just decide to use it as a casting cloth. Either that, or another white cloth that I have made out of silk. :hmmmmm:

I wish the quality of the pictures were better... this webcam doesn't take very good pics. :(

watchman11
August 29th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Cool sets.

SkySilver
August 29th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Thank you :D Its only one set though. I just took the second picture to show the runes closer. :)

SilverClaw
August 30th, 2005, 02:56 AM
Right on SkySilver great work.

SkySilver
August 30th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Thank you :D It was so much fun too. I wanna make another set already. But I'll hold off on that for now so I can bond with these. ;)

SilverClaw
August 30th, 2005, 05:27 PM
your welcome Skysilver and yes it is hard to just stop at making one set I find it hard to stop once I get going :)

Ok will be back later ...

AutumnRain
August 31st, 2005, 04:03 PM
:woot: Have finished making my runes!! Yay! It was so much fun! :)

I don't have a digital camera though, so i'll just have to describe them to you if that's OK?

They're all made from stones I have collected by a river near my house. They're all relatively smooth, most of them are dark in colour, roughly the same shape, and most importantly I LOVE THEM!! :bigblue:

My rune cloth & pouch are made from black crushed velvet.

If I can buy/borrow a digital camera from somewhere i'll try and post piccy's of them later on!

Love & Light,
Autumn

SilverClaw
August 31st, 2005, 06:51 PM
Souds great AutumnRain and if you can get a picture that is great but if not do not stress over it :D

SilverClaw
September 1st, 2005, 02:40 AM
Gee I made a second attempt at making my rune set tonight and wound up making a mess. I do not know if I am going to be able to do a set for this class .:whatmewor maybe I will just use an older set...

SilverClaw
September 1st, 2005, 06:02 AM
Ok so I did get a set made, not the best picture mind you but hopfeully you get an idea of what it looks like. Cloth and pouch will be posted later today :chattin:

Shatril
September 1st, 2005, 09:27 AM
I made my set the last class. I used dead fall wood from my farm, cut it, sanded them, burned in the runes, and coated them with tongue oil mixed with a little of my own blood.

I bought just a plain white 100% cotton napkin to use as a cloth. I'm trying to decide if I want to dye a pattern on it, but I think I will wait until I am more familiar with the runes prior to doing this. The bag is one that I had bought and didn't use for anything, and decided this was probably a good thing to use it for. The runes and cloth all fit in it.

Shatril

SilverClaw
September 1st, 2005, 12:35 PM
Looks good Shatril thanks for posting :D

Philosophia
September 3rd, 2005, 03:58 AM
Sorry I'm late but I've been away for a week. However, I am back so I am catching up!

* I have already several rune sets that I have purchased, but, later on, I may make a set.

* Probably a Eucalyptus tree. In my neighbour's backyard there is a huge Eucalyptus which regulary drops branches so I'll just grab one of hers.

(FYI this class uses Germanic Elder Futhark, if you chose another type it is your responsibility to make sure you have the right rune symbols and meanings and you will need to post these.)

* I have a purple velvet pouch that "compliments" my Amethyst Runes.

4 - And either way if you are buying or making your Runes, or accessories when they are complete or recived I would like you to post what they look like.

* I don't have a digital camera so it may take some time in getting the pictures posted but I will soon!

SilverClaw
September 3rd, 2005, 04:48 AM
good to see ya back :D

Probably a Eucalyptus tree Oooh that would make a nice set of runes for sure. If you can post pcitures that would be great, but if not do not worry about it.

Limey
September 6th, 2005, 02:11 PM
I decided to purchase mine and I have a pouch that came with the runes. they're a bit plain at the moment but I intend to paint some kind of decoration on there when I have a spare moment.

Here's a pic with the pouch underneath

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/limeygurl/Runes.jpg

SilverClaw
September 6th, 2005, 02:19 PM
By any chance Limey are those a Rune set by R Blum?

Limey
September 6th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Yes, is that ok for the lesson?

SilverClaw
September 6th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Yeah there is going to be differences in meanings and runes that is all, so make sure you do your homework gettng familiar with the meanings and names of them :D One other question did your set come with the book ?

Limey
September 7th, 2005, 05:44 AM
I was afraid of that :ack:

The trouble was there's nowhere nearby that I can get pebbles from and where I live the trees are protected. We aren't allowed to lop a branch off. Can't buy off the internet either.
This was the only set I could find in the shops.

It did come with his book too

SilverClaw
September 7th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Oh that is no problem I mean that is the set I first learnt with so it is not a big deal, as long as you know that it is going to be different thatis all.

Limey
September 7th, 2005, 06:18 PM
phew! as long as it's ok to use it

SilverClaw
September 7th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Yep it is that is why I said in one of the other threads that if you do use a different set of runes that you would have to make sure you had the meanings to them that is all :)

OrionNeb87
September 7th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I just wanted to drop in and say that I have been working on my runes and their pics will be posted soon. I just started college and I'm already swamped with assignments though being a physics major I should of expected this. lol :)

SilverClaw
September 8th, 2005, 11:14 AM
I'm already swamped with assignments though being a physics major I should of expected this. lol :)

Lol yes you should :D Thanks for letting me know how your doing and I look forward to seeing your runes when you have them finished :D

SilverClaw
September 10th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Ok i still have not seen some people post in here and I want to know how things are going, remember the due date for this assignment is coming up soon.

Flaire-FireStar
September 11th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Again, already having one, but in need of a new one. ;)

Due to other things going on, I don't believe I'll have time to complete the new set, so in it's place I'll be digging out my old set.

And that, to be posted later.

SilverClaw
September 12th, 2005, 03:15 AM
No problem Flaire as long as you have a set to work with that is all that matters :D

Haruka2077
September 13th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I finally got a picture of my runes uploaded- I am so technologically inept! I decided to buy them instead of make them for now because I'd like to learn more about them before I make them.
I also bought a small square of white silk to cast them on.

Starz123
September 13th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Hi,

I am really sorry I havent as yet posted the pics for my runes.

At last I have decided, i bought these nice black pebble like stones from a store and have to paint them. Sorry am a bit late, just started my course and been flooded with work. will try and finish it by the weekend if that is ok?
:uhhuhuh:

Starz

SilverClaw
September 14th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Nice set Haruka :D

And Starz123 your not late as far as I know so just do the best you can ok ?

Angeni
September 15th, 2005, 11:31 AM
After I finished my assignment last night, I did a detailed check of my runes again. They were way wrong!! There were 23, with a blank rune, and 4 -5 of them had symbols on them that didn't match up with any books or reference sites that I have. So, I threw them away and made my own.
Here they are:

SkySilver
September 15th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Those are lovely, Angeni... I like the silver ink over the red... very cool. And the bag fits so well.

Question: are those the glass beads you see in craft stores? That come like 100 in a bag? Cuz I was gonna buy those the other day and found them to be a bit small so I changed my mind.

But I love the way yours came out so I may just reconsider.

Oh, and is that silver ink or paint? :steppy:

Angeni
September 15th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Those are lovely, Angeni... I like the silver ink over the red... very cool. And the bag fits so well.

Question: are those the glass beads you see in craft stores? That come like 100 in a bag? Cuz I was gonna buy those the other day and found them to be a bit small so I changed my mind.

But I love the way yours came out so I may just reconsider.

Oh, and is that silver ink or paint? :steppy:

Thank You Skysilver, Yes I got the gems or beads at Walmart for Valentines Day a few years ago, and just found them. lol. They come like 100 or so in a bag. I think you can get different sizes too. And lots of colors. Actually, the silver is a permanent marker. I still need to seal them. Not sure how I'm going to do that without smearing the ink. My husband suggested dipping them in polyurethene.
Thanks again!! :fprtyman4

SkySilver
September 15th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. I may try that some time. :)

Limey
September 15th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I finally got around to decorating mine. Not quite sure what I think lol. I just drew on them with felt tip pens, I still need to varnish them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/limeygurl/Picture33.jpg

SkySilver
September 15th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Thats cool... it brings them to life... :D You put your energy into them and that in itself is beautiful.

Angeni
September 15th, 2005, 05:26 PM
I finally got around to decorating mine. Not quite sure what I think lol. I just drew on them with felt tip pens, I still need to varnish them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/limeygurl/Picture33.jpg

Those are gorgeous!!! I don't have a creative bone in my body.. sighs.

OrionNeb87
September 15th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Ok my runes are finally done! Heres a pic. I would have carved the rune symbols but unfortunately had no time so I used red puffy paint.

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL630/3678959/7580741/112065280.jpg

SilverClaw
September 16th, 2005, 01:29 PM
My husband suggested dipping them in polyurethene.

Angeni nice set you made.

As for dipping your runes into polyurethene may I suggest you use a big brush and dip it into the polyurethene dab it on do not smear it, and also be careful not to add to much or it will break up the ink.

Limey and OrionNeb87 both very nice sets you made :D

Angeni
September 16th, 2005, 02:10 PM
As for dipping your runes into polyurethene may I suggest you use a big brush and dip it into the polyurethene dab it on do not smear it, and also be careful not to add to much or it will break up the ink

Thanks Hymnia, Although for me, I'm sure it's easier said than done. :bangyourh

SilverClaw
September 16th, 2005, 04:26 PM
:D ok.

fangedeshana
September 17th, 2005, 06:54 AM
I have a set of rune stones Iíve had for year I will be using. They are small rectangular clay tablets with the runes inscribed into the flat face of them and are kept in a forest green, crushed-velvet pouch with a black silk cord for a drawstring. I generally donít see a real need for a rune cloth, and as such I wonít be making or using one. I use the Elder Futhark alphabet, without the use of the added rune, Wyrd.

Pictures attached!

SilverClaw
September 20th, 2005, 09:44 PM
fangedeshana that is looks like an awesome set. Thanks for posting :D

SilverClaw
September 20th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Ok the due date is past due so who else needs more time on this ? For those who are done please proceed to the next two assignments. Thanks.

goblinhill
September 30th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Hi Hymnia. I'm really pleased with my runes as a piece of craftwork. I made the dragontail willow ones like I said and they are very nice but then I remembered a piece of holly I was seasoning for a hiking stick and that was perfect. I can't get the camera to focus on them though! Of course making them is the easy part, isn't it?

SilverClaw
September 30th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Goblinhill just do the best you can for the pictures mine are not all that great quilty wise either ya know :D

goblinhill
September 30th, 2005, 04:49 PM
OK. Lets see if this works.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a289/goblinhill/RUNES.jpg

goblinhill
September 30th, 2005, 05:11 PM
They look really naff but they FEEL gorgeous. The smoothness of the seasoned holly is amazing.

SilverClaw
October 1st, 2005, 01:55 PM
Nice set Goblinhill :D

Agaliha
October 9th, 2005, 03:39 AM
I am not in your class, but I hope you can answer my quick question (if you have time).

If someone decided on stones/rocks either boughten from the store (those "river rock" ones) or from nature...does it matter if they are not all uniformly the same size, shape and thickness?
All the pics of runes I have seen seem to be pretty much the same, so I was wondering.
If differences are okay...then I'll be making my own in the future :)

SilverClaw
October 9th, 2005, 03:44 AM
does it matter if they are not all uniformly the same size, shape and thickness? Hi BlessedFeathers no it does not matter.

Agaliha
October 9th, 2005, 03:47 AM
Hi BlessedFeathers no it does not matter.

Thank you for answering, I'll be buying some river rocks tomorrow at Wal-Mart

SilverClaw
October 9th, 2005, 04:01 AM
No problem BlessedFeathers, I am just glad I logged back in to see this while you were still on. And hey do not hesistate to come back and share what your set turns out like, ok?

Agaliha
October 9th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Oh, I cool, I'll post a pic of them when they are done :). I just printed up the symbols and meanings of the runes so I'm good to go!
:dancy:

SilverClaw
October 9th, 2005, 04:37 AM
:D that is great and look forward to seeing how they turn out.

Agaliha
October 9th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Okay I got my River rocks from Wal-Mart today. I got two bundles for $0.96 each. Black and mulitcolor. Then I got my acrilic paints out and chose blue. I did two coats of that and then painted over the whole top surface area with clear nail poish base coat.

I also got a bundle of those small glass-like pebble things but the paints woundn't stick, so I'm trying other methods.

SilverClaw
October 9th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Those look great and as for the glass pieces i use pernament marker that way you can still wipe them off if your quick enough, but they will not smudge if you do it right.

SkySilver
October 10th, 2005, 12:46 AM
I like them too! Nice work, BF.... ;)

Agaliha
October 10th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Thanks! :)

They're still drying! It's taking forever. I hope they're done by tomorrow, I'm excited to get started.
I'm going to try making my glass set later...hopefully the marker will stay.

SilverClaw
October 10th, 2005, 08:37 PM
oh wait, hey did you change your user name? Lol had to stop and think about that for a minute. :) Have fun.

Agaliha
October 10th, 2005, 08:40 PM
oh wait, hey did you change your user name? Lol had to stop and think about that for a minute. :) Have fun.

Yup, I did :)

Oh and the glass accents (the ones like marbles but with a flat side...) worked! I did them last night too.
The key has to have them dry for a good 5 mintues before I put the poilsh on :)
Fun Fun.

SilverClaw
October 11th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Glad to hear that you had fun :)