View Full Version : I"m So Stressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 15th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Alright guys, I'm hoping you can help me.
I've decided to do my ISP essay on comparing the similarities between wicca/witchcraft and christianity. as in who came first, who took who's main principles for holidays and so on. my main problem is..i cannot find ONE ounce of info about when paganism really started...can anyone help me out!?! I HAVE to get this essay on the go, but i'm stuck, not even having written the first paragraph. lol. help! PLEASE!!!!!

November 15th, 2001, 06:30 PM
you might want to try Avatarsearch.com-or maybe even Witchvox.com

November 16th, 2001, 03:34 AM
I can't remember where exactly it was but someone on this board posted a link for this website that had a big chart with Wicca on one side and Xtianity on the other, and listed the beliefs and such of each religion...it might've been religious tolerance.org, but I really can't remember. :(

As far as the festivals, I've got a book that details most of the Pagan festivals that were celebrated in ancient Rome, and it's amazing how much the later Christian holidays take after them, even down to the dates in some cases! The name of the book is Classical Living by Frances Bernstein. It was a clearance book at Barnes & noble...maybe you could find it somewhere.

But defintiely try Witchvox or Pagan Portal...there's a good many websites with Pagan-info oriented search engines. You can find some of them in the MysticWicks resources section at the top of the page. :D

November 16th, 2001, 03:48 AM
is pretty vague... Caveman started it. But if you mean Wicca/witchcraft that narrows the field abit. Wicca would be the search I would start with. And if you have a big enough Library they should have some(maybe not a lot, depending on city library size)

Christianity vis a vis Wicca or anything else, is gonna start with Rome and probably the first pope or so. Then Pope Gregory? who created the current calender of days we use.

Makes actual dates kinda irrelevant since they were changed anyhow, except for the equinoxes(sp) which can be tracked without calender.

November 16th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Well Wicca came into popularity in the 60's I believe, tho I also believe I was told it was first written about in the 40's. Witchcraft is a vastly different animal, and probably existed since the beginning of time (imagine you're a caveman - you have a tree, it provides you with shade, figs, later wood for burning.. so would you worship some God you don't know exists yet, or the tree?)

Christianity? Well Jesus died something like 2008 years ago right? And presumably Christianity came about in a large way through His teachings, so there you go.

November 17th, 2001, 12:04 AM

I found the following chart comparing Wicca and Christianity:

And this one is on Gerald Gardner and the history of Witchcraft

Make sure to click on the essays for links to materials on the history of Witchcraft.

Bright Blessings,