PDA

View Full Version : Back to School....maybe

Tzhebee
August 23rd, 2005, 03:24 PM
My kids start back to school next Tuesday, the 23rd. I got a phone call today saying that my kids are no longer going to be picked up by the bus. My kids get dropped off at my mom's house so I can go to work, the bus picks them up right at her driveway and drops them off there as well. And the bus has been picking up kids and dropping them off at that EXACT location since 1992. But all of a sudden, they have changed the borders of the school district and now my mom's house is out of the district...by 2 acres.

WTF am I supposed to do now? My kids are 9, 9 and 8. School starts at 9 ends at 3:30. If they ride the bus they are picked up at 8:20 and dropped off at 4:15. I have to be to work by 8 am and don't get off until 5 pm. My SO has to be to work at 5am or 6am (depending on the day) and doesn't get off until 4:30-5.

The school says the kids can be picked up at the next closest stop, half a mile down the road. Oh, did I mention that this "road" is a three-lane 50 mph country road with no sidewalks (which means people are really doing about 70)? Oh, and there have been 10 TEN fatal car accidents on that same half-mile stretch they want my kids to walk in the past 10 years.... I don't BLEEPing think so. :bug:

My mom runs a day care and during the school year has 6 full-time kids and 5 part-time before/after school kids, so she can't very well put 11 kids in a car to take them to the "new" bus stop. I can't very well go to work at 9 and leave at 3 everyday. What am I supposed to do now?

And why on Gaia's green earth did they wait until the week before school starts to tell me this shit... :wah2:

The only other "option" I have is to transfer them to a different school. But then I would have to leave 3 kids home alone between 7:15 (when I leave to take the baby to daycare) and 8:45 (when they would leave for school, 4 blocks away) and again from 3:45 (when they get home from school) until 5:15 (when dad gets home)....I don't really think that's much of an option given thier ages.

Any advice? I'm freaking out here.

Shanti
August 23rd, 2005, 03:54 PM
So neither you or your mom are in the district that used to pick up the kids?
The district you are in, how far of a walk is it to the school from your moms and is it safe sidewalk wise?

What I am thinking is this...since your mom has to have them so you can work...by them changing this all it would cause hardship on the family...you have to work. Expecting the kids to walk where there is no sidewalk and crossing guards is putting the child in danger...a no no. Child endangerment is definitely one I would fight with!!!

Unless they supply sidewalks, and crossing guards, I would demand the kids get picked up period. Heck the school thats in the district...if its not safe to walk from your moms house...they still need to pick them up!

And at those ages.....safety must come first!! Isnt that something the school teaches?

Tzhebee
August 23rd, 2005, 05:12 PM
I am in the same district, just different school (there are bout 10 elem. schools in the district). And I am only about 4 "safe" blocks from a school...which is not IMO a safe school. It still uses boilers to heat the school and will go out at least 3-4 times per winter, very very old crumbling building etc.

My mom WAS in the same district, but a newer, good school which is about 5 miles from her house...and the kids have attended since kindergarten. I don't understand, how her house can be in the district since we moved there in 1992, but now, all of a sudden, she isn't...and they won't make an exception for 2 stinking acres of change?!?! *sigh*

My house: new school (same district), safe walking, close, etc. But, school building in poor condition and requires me leaving kids home alone.

My moms house: same school, no in walking distance, and now the bus won't pick them up within a safe walking distance either.

What kind of freaking "choice" is that?!?! :flamer:

I've called the principle, who says he'll call the bus garage and see if he can work something out...I'm...I'm just done with it all.

DragonsChest
August 23rd, 2005, 05:45 PM
First off: :hugz:

I used to work for the school district. They change their school boundaries for numerous reasons: new school built - shuffle kids to load balance the student numbers in each school; bus routes/schedules are redesigned to accommodate shifts in school age population and needs; the city may actually annex more land which could then alter school boundaries....

It sounds like you are really in an untenable position. I would hope that the school would help you out by picking up the kids, especially as there is not a safe way for them to walk. And at that age, I have to say, I would never have let my kids in this day and age walk to school alone. Just wouldna happened.

Please don't forget that you are the taxpayer - your taxes keep these schools open. Go to the school board, go to your local news station, the ones that go to bat for folks getting a raw deal, write letters to the editor, let people know what's going on. I know you don't have a lot of time before school starts, so I am sending you energy and love to have this all work out for you.

:hugz:

Ceres
August 23rd, 2005, 05:56 PM
Well, I too, would fight it, but if you dont want to do that, or feel like you wont get anywhere, why not hire a grade seven or eight kid from that school to come and get them ready in the morning and be there after school?

Tzhebee
August 24th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Offical word from the school board superintendant... They won't pick up my kids at my mom's house. Either they get picked up at the next closest stop, or not at all.

:wah2: I don't know what to do.... :(

DragonsChest
August 24th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Oh my dear, I'm so sorry! :sniffsnif

Shanti
August 24th, 2005, 04:01 PM
TV?
The headline news....school puts kids in danger!! Mom needs to work.

I am so sorry I wish I had an answer.

Nighthawk
August 24th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Man, very cute. Shanti has an idea. Dc too.. The nightly news should be contacted... yup.. I cannot figure why they would do this...at the last moment. crap

rowena
September 6th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Hi, I'm new here, sorry for butting in, but . . .

Are there other families being affected by this sudden change? If so, would it be at all possible to arrange a carpool? Or what if several families get together and home-school all their children, on the grounds that your taxes are still paying for services that you are no longer receiving?

DragonsChest
September 6th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Tzhebee, I was thinking of you the other day, with school in session here and all. Whatever has happened with all this - did the school district stick by their guns and not pick up your kiddos? I hope things are going alright for you, hun, and that something worked out. :hugz:

Tzhebee
September 6th, 2005, 02:25 PM
*sigh* I transferred my kids to the other school. The first couple days were hard, but they seem to be adjusting OK. Devin had a small breakdown when she got home from school...her best friend had left a message on our machine, crying wondering why Devin wasn't at school. Then we talked to a friend of Khrissy's who told us that Devin's friend was crying all day in class...so it just broke her little heart. :(

So, we did the only thing we could do, we had both Khrissy and Devin's friends over this past weekend to play. :)

I'm really pissed off though...I just happened to drive by their old school last night, and they have 4 very large brand new play ground toys. Sure....they can afford new toys, but can't pick my kids up? Priorities??????? stupid asshats. I'm glad to be rid of them. :razz: