PDA

View Full Version : Who are these witches they interviewed?

Danustouch
November 16th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Oy...well..this article is regarding "Real Life Witches" opinions about the Harry Potter movie, and books.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,38884,00.html

I'm still wondering who the heck these witches are that they interviewed. Using magick to get a good parking space????? Ok......whatever floats your boat. lol. I just usually say..."please, please, please..let us get a good parking space. "And then...cut someone off. But that's just me....heheheheh.

Lavender
November 16th, 2001, 02:20 PM
:( So that's what happened to all the good parking spaces! The witches took them all!

Myst
November 16th, 2001, 03:00 PM
Why not? There's a spell for finding a parking space in one of my favourite books (and it's a book by Dorothy Morrison btw). I actually tend to use magick on a daily basis for things like that.

I don't agree with the belief that "witches don't use magick for personal gain" or that doing so is "greedy". What would you use magick for if not to bring something more to your or someone you love's life? I mean the statement is ridiculous in itself to me.

The most ridiculous thing is you have Christians hating it because it "encourages Witchcraft" and Pagans hating it because "it gives people the wrong ideas about Witches". HeLLO!? It's a story, it's entertainment. People really need to either lighten up or learn the difference between make believe and reality.

Theres
November 16th, 2001, 03:18 PM
what, you've never invoked 'Gladys', the Goddess of traffic? i think in England She's refered to by Her Celtic name 'Rita' or (in later times) 'Lovely Rita'.

this Harry Potter thing pisses me off. i've never read the books, and i can wait for the video to see the movie. but my 13 year old niece has read every word and loves it.
this is a modern day fairy-tale, and witches have been a part of fairy-tales for centuries. but in this one they're dipicted in a positive way. the Christians need to lighten up. they've had their negative depictions for years. there's a whole lot of other problems they could be focussing their attention on if they were really concerned.

story
November 16th, 2001, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Myst
The most ridiculous thing is you have Christians hating it because it "encourages Witchcraft" and Pagans hating it because "it gives people the wrong ideas about Witches". HeLLO!? It's a story, it's entertainment. People really need to either lighten up or learn the difference between make believe and reality.
:lol:
I can just picture a 10 year old drawn to witchcraft by reading harry potter.
"Wait, so when can I fly on broom sticks?"
"Um, what about the universal jellybeans and stuff?"
"I gotta read how much?"
"screw it, I'm watching mtv"

Danustouch
November 16th, 2001, 03:35 PM
Hopefully, i'm going to see the movie, this weekend. And I can't wait! I think it will be realllllly cute.

I don't have a problem with people using magick to better their lives...i just thought..."To get a parking spot???". Just seems a little...pointless to me. LOL.

Kaylara
November 16th, 2001, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Greenman
what, you've never invoked 'Gladys', the Goddess of traffic?

Would that be the goddess "Happy Bottom"?

Kaylara

Chibi-Fallon
November 16th, 2001, 04:28 PM
>>Carlyon was so upset he put a spell on Potter's studio, Warner Bros., to make the movie tank at the box office. Even though the movie is breaking pre-opening box office records, Carlyon is confident his spell is working. There have been several small mishaps in the making of Harry Potter, from reports that author J.K. Rowling was suffering from writer's block (which she denies) to actor Daniel Radcliffe's voice changing during filming.<<
What a meany! It's just a movie, it can try to kill you or anything. The only sucky thing about his voice changing is that it would have worked for the second film. ^^ Man that would have been funny.

Myst
November 16th, 2001, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Greenman
but in this one they're dipicted in a positive way. the Christians need to lighten up. they've had their negative depictions for years. there's a whole lot of other problems they could be focussing their attention on if they were really concerned.

What? This thread is about Witches and Pagans who don't like it, not Christians. That's the sad thing.

Pointless to need a parking space? Not when you have rush hour traffic and the city packed and need a spot to get into the hospital or to make an appointment on time.

Niamh
November 16th, 2001, 05:00 PM
I just need to throw in my two cents here.
I've read the books, and others who have might agree...

Shouldn't people find it FAR worse that Harry lives with an abusive aunt and uncle who make him sleep and spend any "free time" in a cupboard!?!

Myst
November 16th, 2001, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Niamh
Shouldn't people find it FAR worse that Harry lives with an abusive aunt and uncle who make him sleep and spend any "free time" in a cupboard!?!

I've never read them, but wow if that's true it makes me wonder why people don't think of that.

mato
November 16th, 2001, 05:15 PM
parking space charms work without the constant need for reenforcement though... Gee I am just full of information no one asked for aint i? lol

Y not? I mean when its an emergancy or your a bad driver with a savere case of road rage... Of course ya know what that leads to dont you... Mountain Trolls!!!!!! Mercury god of messages and stuff is good for drivers, zuess and generally any god of travelers... Raphel i hear is also used for like driving stuff, and for the rage in us all Michael (sp but how do u spell his name?).

But come on has any ten year old actually learned witchcraft from these books. They have more to learn about it from the bible than in that series... Ok yes I have seen an 11 year old playing a Potter game, but that was harmless fun, as a kid I played worse (Alive with my brother in winter comes to mind, as does a misshap with a 'sword') I mean whats the harm if your kids want to play with a broom, I thought most parents would be thrilled to see their children pick up a cleaning utensel.

Danustouch
November 16th, 2001, 05:21 PM
I think people need to stop blaming the media for every bad bit of publicity we as witches get. If there were more positive examples of our faith, being visible in the community, the problem wouldn't be so big of a deal. But..being that many pagans are still closeted, and being that we still have our fair share of bad representatives out there, the Media's influence is felt more strongly by the pagan community. IMO, we should concentrate more on how to rectify peoples opinions of us, by making ourselves more visible, and walking the talk, etc..then protesting movies.

As for the christians who are bashing Harry Potter...the same goes for them. If they feel so threaghtened by a movie, so threaghtened that it might instill values that are against their beliefs, in their children. Then they either A) just shouldn't take their children, or B)look more closely at the way they are teaching their children.

Movies and Media..are entertainment. And should be taken as nothing more. If you want documentaries, or "informative" issues, watch Discovery Channell, or History Channell..or something like that. That's not what Hollywood is for.

Lunamoth
November 16th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Myst

*stands up and cheers*

Exactly! It's so ridiculous that people on both sides are so uptight about it. I for one found the one book I read pretty clever for a kids' story and will probably see the flick because it looks entertaining.

That may just be me.

Lunamoth

Lunamoth
November 16th, 2001, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by mato
parking space charms work without the constant need for reenforcement though... Gee I am just full of information no one asked for aint i? lol

True! Would you believe I have a "Parking Poker Chip"? His name is Chip, of course. (yes, I name my talismans)

Lunamoth

Sita
November 16th, 2001, 05:39 PM
he he he

mato
November 16th, 2001, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Lunamoth

True! Would you believe I have a "Parking Poker Chip"? His name is Chip, of course. (yes, I name my talismans)

Lunamoth

Cool!

MammaStar
November 16th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Well, I'm not going, at least as of this moment I won't be, going to see the movie. Not because of the witchcraft portrayls, but because I'm just not interested. HOWEVER, being a Mom, I LOVE Harry Potter. Why?? Cause my son HATED to read, UNTIL.....those books came around. He read the first one & his love of reading took off from there.

His step-mom is taking him to the movies tommorrow. The movie I'm most anxious to see is.....LORD OF THE RINGS. Now there's a movie. :D

Niamh
November 17th, 2001, 09:18 AM
YES! Harry Potter is a gateway book... it leads to other books! It's so true. Even the young actor portraying Harry in the movie admitted to this in that interview with Katie Couric.

He said he hadn't read the books until he was offered the roll. At which point he read all of them, and went on to read more and more books. He claimed he wasn't much of a reader at all until he read Harry Potter.

As a librarian, that's something I LOVE to hear!

Amethyst Rose
November 17th, 2001, 02:23 PM
I've never used magick to get a parking spot, but I have a talisman that stops me from getting parking tickets. :) (well, actually what it does is make my car "invisible" so it doesn't get ticketed, or broken into, or anything like that.) I haven't gotten a ticket yet.....

flar7
November 17th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Well to get the primo spots I use the spell "Colt .45"
Works fairly well. LOL (just kidding) unless, its in a cold can?ew.

Avoid police with... "Bumper Stickers!" tons and tons of anti establishment Bumper Stickers! Legalize it! How do you like your Pork?, etc... they're bound to leave you alone! LOL agin! (I definitely wouldnt recommend that!)

The movie was great!!!!!!! I liked it alot!