PDA

View Full Version : question about the Celtic Pantheon.

Shadowulfe
November 16th, 2001, 10:15 PM
I was recently asked by my future father-in-law if there was a God in the Celtic Pantheon equvalent to Loki in the Norse pantheon. i think what he means by that is....Do the Celts have a trickster god? I don't think there is but I figured I would asked in case i was incorrect.

any help would be appreciated.

blessings,
Shadowulfe

Theres
November 16th, 2001, 10:59 PM
perhaps the 'Pooka'!
most mythology has some practical substance behind it.
in Celtic lore Samhain was the third and final harvest festival. it was believed that the Pooka ran through the fields after the Samhain celebration claiming the un-harvested crops as his own. any food left on the vine after Samhain was tainted and must not be eaten, or the eater would be cursed or poisoned, or worse!
the obvious lesson here is get your work done, your crops in on time, or the results would be most unpleasant (as in starving through the winter!).
hope this helped.

UnSolon
November 16th, 2001, 11:30 PM
That makes sense, and that tradition/belief could have arisen since after the end of october (generally) it is too cold for any remaining food in the fields to survive or to be palatable. So Pooky could be said to be part of perhaps the frost/fall gods? I dont know, I'm talking through my rear on this one.

Dagda Moon~Lily
November 18th, 2001, 10:51 PM
A friend had mentioned a Celtic god of Chaos.....but I can't recall the name. Sorry. (which in my mind is what Loki brings)

Danustouch
November 18th, 2001, 11:08 PM
The purpose of Trixter Gods/ Goddesses in mythology, is in many cases to serve as a scapegoat, or to teach us "morality" lessons. So, I believe that in the Celtic Pantheon, these purposes are served by some of the mischevious faery spirits. The hero's and heroines, might also serve this purpose to some extent, as few Celtic Heros and Heroines led perfect and blameless lives. Most of them got into some sort of foible at one point or another. So while there may be no specific God or Goddess for this purpose (at least, that I'm aware of at this point)..it seems like the point is made, non the less, in various other sources in Celtic Mythology.

crystalmoon
November 19th, 2001, 07:20 AM
Coming from a Celtic country I thought I mght help you out. We do have :
THE MORRIGAN:
This Celtic goddess rules psychological warfare.

QUICK READING; Fears, patterns of thought, self-defeating attitudes, hauntings, TRICKS AND DECEPTIONS, lack of clarity, at war with ones self.

You may have seen how a fighter can' psyche out' his opponent. When going into battle, correct mental attitude is all important. If you are at war with yourself, you leave a gap in your defenses which your enemy will spot and exploit.
I you are fighting for something, you must commit yourself compleatly to your cause. If you have a serious doubt, perhaps you need to redefine your goals. Sometimes the only way you can rid yourself of fear is to face your opponent with courage.

Hope this is of some help.
Cariad
crystalmoon