PDA

View Full Version : MMORPG's anyone?

Mirrored Wolf
August 26th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Do any of you play any MMORPG's? Such as Everquest or Dark Ages Of Camelot? i'm looking for a new one to play , and im wondering if any of you would recomend a game (other than World Of Warcraft) that you play?
(MMORPG = massivly(sp?) multiplayer online role playing game for those of you who dont know *shrugs*)

FlyingBear
August 26th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Seabhac and I played EverCrack for three years, but ran out of patience and time for something that was such a tremendous time suck. Now we play City of Heroes which suits us much better. We've enjoyed it a lot. The character creation is the best out there, IMHO.

Teresa
August 27th, 2005, 02:40 AM
I am still playing everquest. Friends have played and quit and returned.I just limit the days I allow myself to play.

FroggieThePunk
August 30th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Ultima Online is great if you don't care about graphics, or help from other PCs.

Star Wars Galaxies is great if you want a game that is so buggy and changed so often that you will just get pissed off and lament the good game it used to be. Good charecter creation, and lots of play ability due to being able to change your job often.

Lineage 2 is good if you like open PVP and really want a game that is damn near impossible to lvl your charecter after awhile. Charecter creation is still pretty limited, but not nearly as much as it was when the game first dropped.

Ever Crack 2 is good if you liked Ever Crack and want better graphics. Charecter creation is phenominal.

The Matrix Online is good if you liked the Matrix series, and don't mind how Sony is going to mess the whole thing up in a few months if it hasn't killed it already. Charecter creation is limited, but I was able to make my char look like me if I didn't shave for a couple weeks.

City of Heroes is good if you want to finaly be that super hero from your child hood and beat up the bad guys. Easy game play and good charecter creation.

Guild Wars is great if you want a game where the charecter creation is limited, and after the first hour or so you feel like you have been playing Diablo 2 LoD and acomplished just as much.

I've played all these games. And Saga of Ryzom, I don't know if it has improved from when it first dropped, but it had alot of promise.

These are imo only. I am playing CoH and awaiting my pre-oredered copy of City of Villians. And I tell you what, i am enjoying every damn minute of it!

AstralMoth
August 30th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Ultima Online is great if you don't care about graphics, or help from other PCs.
Its a lot better on the FREE player run servers, some of them have about 100+ player average.

Guild Wars is great if you want a game where the charecter creation is limited, and after the first hour or so you feel like you have been playing Diablo 2 LoD and acomplished just as much.
Guild wars is all I'm playing since i got it a few months ago. The Story mode thing gets old pretty quick but the high level PvP side of the game is simply the best out there. Nothing comes close. Also, it has free expansions, no monthly fee and you dont need to download a 60mb patch every cpl of weeks like WoW.

Saga of Ryzom has come a long way since it started, someone on these boards is one of the head GM's for it in europe. its a bit wierd to get into but unlike most online rpg's the support is good and you actually get your questions answered by a real person in a few minutes.

World of Warcaft is easily the best fantay online rpg out there, bar none. but its expensive to play, has many bugs. Large patch downloads and a pretty crappy PvP system (well compared to guild wars anyway). For a deep yet simple Rpg its great. Play it if your rich :P

An honourable mention should go to Anarchy online, you can play it free and its very in depth. The sci-fi setting is annoying, the lag is awful. And PvP is a joke unless you have all 4 expansions and a fully tooled up charecter. Still the PvE game can be a lot of fun.

*GrumpButt*
August 30th, 2005, 12:00 PM
WoW is the best, but like Ast said, bugs, monthly payments and the weekly maintenence (going on now, for like 6 hrs) and those patches ><.

City Of Heroes is good too though :)

FroggieThePunk
August 30th, 2005, 09:06 PM
I can't beleive I forgot about PVP in GW! ARG! I feel dumb. The PVP in GW is friggin awesome, I love that. But the story mode is so boring. AM is completely right about GW.

I've not played WoW and i don't intend to. From what i have seen and heard other than tech issues and cost, the game just looks to campy for me.

Threase
August 30th, 2005, 09:14 PM
I play NWN, and love it... especially cause I don't have to pay to play lol!

AstralMoth
August 31st, 2005, 10:23 AM
Dungeon Siege 2 is just out and similar to NwN, especially the graphics (as in 3 years old). Personly I think its crap but lots of other people seem to love it.

Kaos
August 31st, 2005, 06:51 PM
mmorpg...I'm gonna go with FFXI. The monthly cost ain't that bad, and I've been addicted to it for as long as it came out o.o, the downsides to it are making gil and leveling takes some time, but I know how to make gil so I just gotta work on that lvling thing. I've played Guild wars as well, the PvP is great, the story line isn't too bad, and its free.

wolf
August 31st, 2005, 07:45 PM
Do any of you play any MMORPG's?

Kingdom of Loathing (http://www.kingdomofloathing.com)

WolfyJames
September 2nd, 2005, 04:17 PM
Well, I've tried playing Anarchy Online and it was cumbersome. You have up to January 2006 to play the game free and I thought it'd be a nice way to try it out but I ended up not liking the game after all.

I've played Saga of Ryzom during the beta and this is a great game. Unfortunaly, they only accept credit cards as way of payment and I don't have one, so I ended up not being able to play when the game came out. This game is really realistic, you have seasons, days and nights. Some flowers and plants only appear at night so when you harvest some plants, you have to wait for the night to come. This game is the first genuine MMORPG I've ever seen. All the others are usually a rehash of Tolkien/Dragons&Dungeons races and classes: Elves, Dwarves, Humans, Hobbits, Half-Elves, Priest, Druid, Knight, Ranger, etc. You won't find these in Saga of Ryzom, which is a mix between fantasy and science-fiction and has a world and races of its own. There is no class so you can do whatever you want. The only downside the last time I played was the lag.

Then there is Guild Wars, which is a very fun game to play and unfortunatly too often underestimated. There is only Humans and six classes but when you create a toon, you can have two classes, so you're not stucked in a limited role. You're part of the story that unfolds under your eyes. The Charr, the ennemies, have used strange weapons that have almost decimated the entire population and there is not much left of how it looks like at the beginning (when the game starts, it's Pre-Searing, as in before the attack by the Charr). All players play in an instanced world, so you're all alone, which adds a lot of tension and makes the game more real since the lands are filled with dangerous mobs. The game would have looked ridiculous with thousands of players running everywhere since in the story the population was almost wiped out and the lands left in decay and ruins. Plus, there is no kill-steal because of this. The game is based on skill not on levels so if you're a good players and use your skils well, even if you're low level, you can survive rather well and even win in PvP. Let's just say that the game was not made for the uber players who enjoy showing off their high levelness and uber equipments and preying on the weak. The big plus of Guild Wars is that you don't pay monthly fees.

wolf
September 2nd, 2005, 11:21 PM
I did play some of the squad-based games when they were hot (Global Operations and Return to Castle Wolfenstein) but my eye-hand coordination really wasn't up to it. I spent a lot of time in the re-spawning area and dying shortly after.

Shadowulfe
September 3rd, 2005, 11:16 PM
ive been playing story mode in GW with the guild im in. the only thing i dont like in GW is you have to unlock everything in story mode to use in PvP (glad i unlocked superior vigor though :) )

Saggitario
September 7th, 2005, 01:37 AM
I too, am looking for a new MMO. Ive played Everquest, Anarchy Online, Endless Ages, Neocron, The Matrix Online, World of Warcraft, and Second Life.
I currently "play" Second Life (www.secondlife.com), because they have a one time fee of $10 if you dont own land, so it's great for just exploring and talking to random People.

I beta tested The Matrix Online, but didnt get into it that much before it ended. I might go back to it, now that it is included in the Station Pass from Sony. There seems to be a trend in companies offereing the "Pay one monthly fee for several MMOs" deal. I beleive NCsoft is going to start doing this. There is also a company called MMOCenter (www.mmocenter.com) that is going to be realeasing several MMO's under one service (and monthly fee). Im most excited about their title "Survival Instinct", which will be a game set in the present, where there has been a nationwide socio-economic collapse. That should be interesting...

Neocron was really cool. It was one of the first FPS style MMO's, set in a CyberPunk setting. The problem is that the servers are pretty much empty. :( Some servers are literally empty for much of the day, while others get between 30 and 60 users during their peak times. (Those are the numbers I heard of). Its also pretty buggy. I have a feeling it will be gone by the end of next year. That, and the $15 monthly fee makes me wary of starting to play it again.

My main problem with MMOs is that the story arcs seem to be set ontp of the game so lightly that it feels like nothing that happens in the game world will affect my character personally. Maybe the scenery will change, and there will be different mobs to fight, but that seems to be the extent of the story changes I see in most MMOs. :ugh:

It would be cool if we could choose a game (besides NeoPets) and have a MW guild...

Traz Heart
September 9th, 2005, 02:52 PM
I have been playing mmorpgs for 10 years now.

Started with Sierra's The Realm as a beta tester.
Never got into EQ though.

Earth and Beyond.
FF 11.
WOW.
and some others as well.

To talk about some issues that people brought up so far.

Guild wars is free to play after you buy the game. True
Problem is if you did not get the game when it first came out or you did not buy the game when the popularity wave hit you are sunk.
It will be very hard for you to get a group and level ect.

If you want to play a game like this get Diablo 2 or Dungeon Siege 1 or 2.

World of Warcraft. True it does have bugs but all mmorpgs have bugs.
You have to admit though for your money they deliver one hell of a product.

Lets take a look at the numbers.

EQ2 or WOW to buy the game is pretty much the same price.
EQ2 is about to come out with it's 2nd expansion pack.
You have to dish out on average $30 for these.
EQ2 is playing cetchup to WOW and is copying a lot of WOW's ideas.
WOW has had 5 BIG patches. These patches added new areas new dungeons bosses monsters items over 400 new quests a PVP system and
tweeked 3 classes. This is all FREE!!!
They are about to release patch 1.7 2 more dungeons for free and some other nifty things added into the game as well.
1.8 is being worked on as well and it will most likely be released (for free again) around Nov/Dec. 1.8 is going to have 3 dungeons added to the game and more tweeks to classes ect.

Now mind you EQ2 has fixed bugs with their patches and stuff But they make you pay for new content.

WOW has not come out with a expansion pack yet because they are giving
their customers free content.
They are working on a expansion pack though.
This expansion will add a new world to the game and the Hero class
along with other things too.

well that is all from me

Come play WOW!!!

Dalaran server
Horde
Undead Priest lev 40 (for now)
Pyron

Daniel
September 9th, 2005, 11:09 PM
City of Heroes is good if you want to finaly be that super hero from your child hood and beat up the bad guys. Easy game play and good charecter creation. Ah, yes. I love City of Heroine ... er, Heroes. Bob, is that game ever addictive!

I just got my cape and a second costume slot. Now I can be an angel or demon-looking fellow, perfect for my newly formed group -- Hell's Parolees.

Amethyst Rose
September 10th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Eve Online is a sci-fi MMORPG that takes place in space.....it's one HUGE game, but really quite fun. I find that I just don't like the fantasy ones anymore. I tried everquest and lasted a week before I got bored with it.

Antoninus
September 10th, 2005, 02:25 AM
WoW is a good game, but for it to be worth it, you cant be a once a week player, you have to play almost every day for atleast an hour at a time for WoW to be worth it. It can get a little tedious if your not used to those kinds of games but overall its pretty good.

Malcolm
September 16th, 2005, 03:47 PM
There are other MMORPG's besides WoW?

Bah! I don't believe you...

Bix
September 24th, 2005, 06:14 PM
I've played Final Fantasy XI and am still playing World of Warcraft. FFXI got really repetitive. WoW is awesome...loves it.

Um...I've seen Matrix Online, it looks pretty cool. City of Heroes is pretty interesting, though I haven't really played much of either of those.

claxon
September 25th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Eve Online is a sci-fi MMORPG that takes place in space.....it's one HUGE game, but really quite fun. I find that I just don't like the fantasy ones anymore. I tried everquest and lasted a week before I got bored with it.

I'm the same, I used to play 'Horizons: Empire of Istaria' for a little while where you can actually be a dragon if you wanted to, but I even got bored of that quickly. These days I'm an Eve-Online person too. What we need is for everyone else to join us in Eve so we can get a MW corp going.

Amethyst Rose
September 25th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I totally agree! Right now all I'm doing is agent missions.... acting as a courier/mercenary for the Gallente. :)

Oh, and I've paid for my subscription now so anyone wanting a free trial, just ask and I'll send you an invite.

WOGIT
September 25th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Second life

Jyssca
September 25th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Right now I just play Ragnarok Online... I can't wait until Ragnarok Online 2 comes out though, it seems like they've made it really good. :smile:

Saggitario
September 25th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Second life

What's your SL name?

Mine is Parapsycho Wallace. I just payed the $10 one time fee, so I dont own any land.

Renny
September 25th, 2005, 09:24 PM
I used to play DAoC but left it once I realized Mythic is completely retarded. I had fun with it for a long time though

I play WoW and I love it!

Any of you Argent Dawn server people... tremble before the cuteness of my gnome warrior, Renny! And be sure to say hi to me too ^_^

SylverStar
September 26th, 2005, 02:59 AM
I play R.O.S.E. Online. I'm playing naROSE it's currently in closed beta but should be in open beta soon. It's been out since Jan. some ups and downs. Some wipes and hackers...but this new version seems to be going pretty well. It's got those cutsey little korean anime characters. Some things are still incomplete but I really enjoy the game play.

Lunadria
July 24th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I started with DAoC and although I take breaks from playing it I tend to return to it. I've tried WoW, but can't stand the cuteness of it so got bored very quickly. So, if anyone plays on the DAoC Euro servers I play on Prydwen and Glastonburry.

MoonDragn
July 24th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Do any of you play any MMORPG's? Such as Everquest or Dark Ages Of Camelot? i'm looking for a new one to play , and im wondering if any of you would recomend a game (other than World Of Warcraft) that you play?
(MMORPG = massivly(sp?) multiplayer online role playing game for those of you who dont know *shrugs*)

I am currently playing Auto Assault. It is a fast paced role playing game that places you behind the steering wheel of a car in a post apocalyptic setting. The vehicle physics are very realistic and it doesn't feel like you are in a role playing game til you get into management of your equipment, stats and abilities. It is a fun game and they do offer free online trials. Check them out at www.autoassault.com

MoonDragn
July 24th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I'm the same, I used to play 'Horizons: Empire of Istaria' for a little while where you can actually be a dragon if you wanted to, but I even got bored of that quickly. These days I'm an Eve-Online person too. What we need is for everyone else to join us in Eve so we can get a MW corp going.

I used to be the CEO of a large corp in EVE. Unfortunately, the game is full of people who cheat and metagame. The developers seem to help the side of the pirates and model the universe towards people they liked. It made it too much work for me and my corp just to keep up and I got fed up and left. The rest of my corp is still there though and I hear they are doing better these days. I just can't imagine myself going back.

Amethyst Rose
July 24th, 2006, 05:55 PM
A lot of changes have been made to make it easier on the 'little people'. :) They've really cracked down on ore theft, and the response time and strength of Concord has gotten a lot better, so you're only really unsafe in low sec. space. Macro/isk mining is still a problem, but we just go hunting for them.... steal their ore and blow them up if they attack us (which is very rare).

If you ever want give a come back a try, and want to try a different type of corp, let me know. I'm the Personnel Director of Carbide Industries (an empire based industrial corp). Claxon is also a member. :)

Covetous
July 25th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Used to be that finding a player run shard of Ultima Online was a lot of fun. Haven't kept up with the scene thoughso it may not be so great anymore.

Only other MMO that I play is WOW.

aeroeng
July 26th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Yeah for FFXI. I just haven't been unhooked from it. Granted my time to play has become less, but I still enjoy it.

My brother plays City of Heros (and Villains). My brother and his friends are all waiting for Spore to come out. From what they describe it as, it's like an MMO meets the Sims meets Civilzation game. Basically you start out as a one-celled organism and try to evolve your race until you conquer the galaxy. I guess there's a 40 minute trailer online somewhere (I wanna watch it and see for myself).

Mindflayer
July 26th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Yeah for FFXI. I just haven't been unhooked from it. Granted my time to play has become less, but I still enjoy it.

My brother plays City of Heros (and Villains). My brother and his friends are all waiting for Spore to come out. From what they describe it as, it's like an MMO meets the Sims meets Civilzation game. Basically you start out as a one-celled organism and try to evolve your race until you conquer the galaxy. I guess there's a 40 minute trailer online somewhere (I wanna watch it and see for myself).

Spore isn't Multiplayer though, planets and species are downloaded from a central database made up of player-created data, but it's then run by the computer and completely seperate from everyone else's game.

Though, I'm waiting on it too :)

aeroeng
July 26th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Spore isn't Multiplayer though, planets and species are downloaded from a central database made up of player-created data, but it's then run by the computer and completely seperate from everyone else's game.

Though, I'm waiting on it too :)

I'm seriously lacking in info on that game..all my knowledge is second hand. I was sure that the updates were quite regular though. So it's a pseudo MMO...hehe.

Lunar_Dragonfly
July 29th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Recovering WoW addict here. I loved the game but I was just getting bored of it. Plus my boyfriend had a level 60 character and my own main was stuck at level 20 or so and he never wanted to play with me because he was off doing raids all the time >_>

I recently bought guild wars. I really love the gameplay so far and the graphics are phenominal but I haven't had it long enough to say if its good or bad yet. I'm having fun with it so far though I'm not as obsessed early on as I was with WoW which I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. The fact that it doesn't require monthly fees is a plus in my book. That you can only be a human is slightly a shame but I rather like the variety of humans available; EQ2 micromanages every aspect of the character to an extent that I just get confused -- I mean, tilt of the eyebrows? Come on. Don't get me wrong its cool that there's so much variety, it just seems a little overkill to me.

Everquest 2 is an awesome game if you have an awesome graphics card. On my computer, it ran terribly. I'm getting a new desktop soon, maybe I'll start playing again, I dunno.

That's all the experience with MMO's that I have had.

mtpathy
July 29th, 2006, 12:53 AM
lol people seem to bore of these games pretty fast,i know i sure did..
one thing that i still enjoy playing is a good game of d&d,go find yourself
a group in your area im sure they would love some new blood,and you know
i imagine its tons cheaper then shelling out $ every month.

Amethyst Rose
July 29th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Well, I've been playing Eve for 9 months now....haven't gotten bored yet...people have been playing for years and haven't maxed out their characters yet. That's what's great about it... there's so much progression in the game that you don't run out of stuff to do. WoW and Everquest held my attention for 1 week.

Qeniheru
July 29th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Eh, I tried EVE but quickly got bored after realizing I could train only 1 thing at a time and it wouldn't be done for nearly a week. That and it seemed to be overrun with pirates. :p

Going to get back into WoW though, normally I don't play those types of games because you need some friends for them to be really enjoyable, but I'm fortunate in that nearly everyone I know plays, including my boyfriend. :) I've tried everything just about, the only ones able to hold my attention for a while are WoW, Ultima Online (namely the free servers, which I have experience running a couple), and Dark Age of Camelot (Hibernia FTW! :D ).

Shadowbane recently came back from the dead and went 100% free though, so I'm giving that a go. We will see how that turns out. :)

Though I do think it would be neat if we could do a free UO server for MW peoples...it wouldn't be too bad, it just takes some time actually sticking it together. I also like Origin's stance with the free servers: if you don't charge money, we won't bother you. :D The UO client is also freely available...hmm... :idea:

GothicNymph
July 29th, 2006, 02:35 AM
i spent 5 years in Ultima Online and got to the point i hated it. i couldnt see myself going back to it now and umm well i dont have my account anyway now so no worries.
for the past 3 months i've been playing FFXI and i'm loving it. the people are great and i have alot of friends who used to play UO.

Sephiroth
January 31st, 2007, 07:33 PM
FFXICerberus Sever
Character: Elkhorn
Race: Elvaan
Nation: San D' Oria
Player National Ranking: 10/maxed
Chains Of Promation: chaper 5.2 Secrets of Worship: Sacrum
Rise of the Zilart: Mission 14 Divine Might <have sky access> >.> Genbeu to weak
Job: Lv 75 Dragoon, Lv 53 Warrior, Lv 42 Ninja, Lv 14 White Mage, Lv 10 Black mage, Lv 25 Dark Knight...

Drg best ever >.>
War is fun but okay...
NiN is bad ass..
WHM is gay
BLM is gay
DRK is okay but kinda boring