PDA

View Full Version : Non-chemical detergent?

ShamanFeather
August 27th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Anybody know of any non chemical detergent alternatives that are cheap? Something that is anti-allergen? I know viniger can be used as a fabric softner. We don't have an area in our washer to put the softner in so I'm wondering when do I put that in? I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to something and I'm wondering if it is the detergent or the softner, or are machine may not be getting all the suds out so suggestions? Help!

Thanks!

Edited in to add: BRIBE! Anyone who can help gets a good karma hit!

Karma Chameleon
August 28th, 2005, 01:01 AM
http://www.methodhome.com/ (http://www.methodhome.com/)

Riverstone22
August 28th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Wow! I didn't know method had detergent also! We already use the floor stuff, wipes and window cleaner and they work great. I wonder if target has this too!

ShamanFeather
August 28th, 2005, 06:07 AM
Sweet! will have to see if target does carry that!

Karma Chameleon
August 28th, 2005, 12:15 PM
:D Target does indeed carry it, it's were I first found the Method cleaning products.

wakywitch
August 28th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Baking soda

Karma Chameleon
August 28th, 2005, 12:43 PM
We don't have an area in our washer to put the softner in so I'm wondering when do I put that in? I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to something and I'm wondering if it is the detergent or the softner, or are machine may not be getting all the suds out so suggestions? Help!

Forgot to answer this part. If your washing machine doesn't have a place to put the softer in, you have to wait until the final rinse when the tub of the washer is all full of water but not soap and pour it in (you don't want to pour the softer directly on the clothes though, it'll mess them up.)Also I found if you put your washer to extra rinse it rinses the clothes better.

I've had allerigic reactions to various detergents (Tide, ALL, Purex, for example), it's the chemicals they put in there. I really like the Method laundry detergent because it doesn't have all those harsh chemicals, it doesn'y require as much soap to get the clothes a helluva lot cleaner than I've ever gotten them with standard detergents.

Tom Bombadil
August 28th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Anybody know of any non chemical detergent alternatives that are cheap? Something that is anti-allergen? I know viniger can be used as a fabric softner. We don't have an area in our washer to put the softner in so I'm wondering when do I put that in? I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to something and I'm wondering if it is the detergent or the softner, or are machine may not be getting all the suds out so suggestions? Help!

Vinegar is used to clean, whiten and remove odors as well. It won't stain clothes like fabric softener will so you can put it in while the washer is filling. There's no machine in the world that gets out all the suds, especially considering how much soap people use in respect to how much they need (sometimes this is NONE). If you're allergic to the soap or softener you will need to run the washer empty a few times to get rid of it all...or perhaps wash someone else's clothes with no extra soap so you don't waste water. The soap left in the washer will do a fine job. When your washer is clean you can switch soaps. Dr. Bronner's castille soap is a good all-purpose soap, and is very gentle. Seventh Gen stuff might work, too, but has many more additives in it. Baking soda, borax or vinegar can be used whenever you want some more cleaning power.

Lunacie
August 28th, 2005, 09:15 PM
My daughter has been ordering homemade natural-type laundry soap from someone on ebay and it's great stuff. I was excited that I might be able to get something at Target as that could be more convenient, but the ad says the Method detergent has a scent to it, and the scent is generally what I'm allergic to. I'll see if I can find out what my daughter ordered.

ShamanFeather
August 30th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Yeah that would be great if you could find out about the e-bay stuff also.

Another question, when you say baking soda you mean instead of soap? How much to a load and do you put it in right away? and to clarify with the vinager as a softner do you add that right away with the soap? Also you mentioned that ppl sometimes use too much soap. How do you know how much you should use? Also worried if I use no soap about undergarments getting properly washed and clean.

Dr. Bronners soaps are awesome on the body, how much would you add to the wash machine?

Okay enough questions for now! :D

Thanks!

Karma Chameleon
August 30th, 2005, 12:36 PM
My daughter has been ordering homemade natural-type laundry soap from someone on ebay and it's great stuff. I was excited that I might be able to get something at Target as that could be more convenient, but the ad says the Method detergent has a scent to it, and the scent is generally what I'm allergic to. I'll see if I can find out what my daughter ordered.

The Method Detergent I've purchased at Target doesn't have scent in it. I think they have scented and unscented.

Lunacie
August 30th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks Karma - hopefully I can remember to check it out next time I go to Target.

The website for the all natural unscented laundry soap we've been buying is here:

http://soapblackbear.com/prod1.html

Oh-kay, I just compared cost-per-load and I'll probably stick with the stuff we're ordering online. Even with shipping added it costs about half as much.

Tom Bombadil
August 30th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Another question, when you say baking soda you mean instead of soap?

Instead of, or with...it depends on how dirty your clothes are. On its own it freshens clothes, with soap it acts as a water softener to make your soap work harder.

How much to a load and do you put it in right away?

1/2 a cup should do it. A little more or less would be fine...It's really up to you. And yes, put it in right away.

...and to clarify with the vinager as a softner do you add that right away with the soap?

Yep. Like I said, the only reason you add commercial softeners during the rinse cycle is because softener will stain your clothes if you don't dilute it first. If you pour vinegar all over your clothes the only thing that is going to happen is that your whites will get whiter...:D

Also you mentioned that ppl sometimes use too much soap. How do you know how much you should use?

What most people don't realize is that it's the agitation that cleans your clothes, not the soap. Of course it doesn't help that they give you those huge 1 cup scoops to make it seem like you actually need that much. The soap is just a booster, which is helpful mostly where oily stains are concerned. How much you use (if any) depends on how dirty your clothes are. Underwear and anything you've gotten stained benefit from soap. The clothes you wear to the office and don't ever break a sweat in don't need it. I find socks and even sweaty tee shirts don't really need soap either, just some baking soda.

Dr. Bronners soaps are awesome on the body, how much would you add to the wash machine?

Again, it depends on how dirty your clothes are. Anywhere between none for light work and a 1/3 cup for tough jobs. My husband usually ends up with ketchup all over his pants from work and I've never had to use more than that in a whole load of nothing but ketchupy jeans. And I don't wash them right away, either. Dr. Bronner's works just a well as any other laundry soap, and it's really nice to have around the house since you can use it for anything. Even brush your teeth! Not that I've tried it...though I have washed dishes with it. Good stuff.

redring
August 31st, 2005, 08:40 PM
The loundry soap from e-bay is a cold process soap with no additives. a little tee tree added may help too. Just keep in mind tallow is animal fat. Maybe a vegitable fat soap like coconut oil would be better. If you want cent and think synthetic scents are bothersome try some essential oils . Add just a bit once the washer is filled with water then add clothes. chamomile is soothing to the skin and smells wonderfull ....... maybe I will try makeing this. I do soaps. I have a greate recipe for a stain stick I have been puting off trying and been meaning to do loundry soap. Of course I used my soaps anyway.

Can I ask if when you get the soap if its powders or shaveings???

Lunacie
August 31st, 2005, 11:43 PM
I'd love to have a recipe to make a stain-stick. Maybe you'd be kind and share yours?

When we get the soap from soapblackbear it's kinda like shaved soap. You can use it just like that, or mix it with water and heat it up on the stove a little. I find it easier to use it in liquid form, easy to treat stains that way, so I mix it with water and cook it a bit.

redring
September 1st, 2005, 03:30 AM
yup Ill add it later. Just be verry carfull makeing it you have to use lye. Do not worry its in youre soap you are useing now too. It changes form once it gos through the chemicale change. you should be verry carfull working with it though. I just add my soap shaveings to an old cleaned out liquid soap bottle, shake every once in a while. It really works.