PDA

View Full Version : Continuation of the Book Club

Shatril
August 28th, 2005, 08:14 AM
OK-September is here, school is back in session, and it is time to see what we want to do about the MW Book Club. At the beginning of the summer we seemed to have lost steam, and decided to break until fall. Well in order to have something this fall we need to start voting on the choices now. However, I would like to have a show of hands on who is interested in this anymore, and have you present any suggestions for improving this process that you can think of.

I was thinking that we could arrange for two live sessions of chat at specific times each week. One early morning and one in the evening. That we if you couldn't do one, you could at least make the other.

Also thought it would be best to stick with one book per month. I would like to suggest that we try to stick with new books from the MW Authors Forum, and seek their participation in the process. This is a good thing for all of us. On months when none of the authors has a new book out we will choose from the current best sellers list, that way we can get them from the library. I would like to stick with things that have distinct spiritual/occult/magickal bent to them. It might also be interesting to do some comparative religion books, but that is up to the rest of you to decide.

I want to do one book a month. Start the poll a month and a half prior to the scheduled reading date and close the poll after two weeks. That way we have the best possibility of getting the book in time to read and discuss.

These are some of my thoughts here. Please let me know what you think about this.

I hope everyone had a wonderful summer. Mine was idealic actually, and I drove myself crazy. hehehehe
:hugz:
Shatril

Shatril
August 28th, 2005, 09:16 PM
bumpith

Ziana
August 28th, 2005, 09:35 PM
I would be interested. I read a lot of magic/occult themed books anyway, and would be willing to discuss them.

Hearthwitch
August 30th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Sorry love I forgot to check back here this month. My bad. I would love to continue on with the book club. I am fine doing one book, and you know me I'll read anything! I like the idea of a live chat. I get to do live chat with my book club that I run on line and that seems to work really well. I think I would prefer to read MW authors as well. I liked when Dorothy Morrison joined in the chat and answered our questions II'lla ctually be reading one of her boks for my other book club in about two months).

I'm going to be moving in November. Right now the plan is to be packed out by November 21st. I can participate up until then and then once we are moved and settled I can start right back up again. I am figuring by January, February at the latest.

DianaStormDancer
August 30th, 2005, 09:05 PM
_twohorns_

Shatril
September 1st, 2005, 07:37 AM
Oh great, I'm glad that we are generating more enthusiasm for this now. Moving eh! That is so much work; I hate it. I think I have found the place that I can spend the rest of my live in. I'm already starting the design of my stone wheel and will be planting trees in the spring. Herbs will follow the next year.

The MW authors have a wide range of book, which include fiction, occult and self-help things. This should keep us busy. When we run out of MW authors, we can consider other Occult titles of select authors.

Hearthwitch, did you ever read that Dion Fortune book Mystical Qabalah. I'm still slogging through that one. I have been highlighting the important stuff, and crossing out the things that just aren't so based on scientific proof to the contrary. When I'm done, I'm gonna put together my own version of that.

I will start researching some books for us, and then make a list and post it at the first of next week.

:hugz: to all
Shatril

Hearthwitch
September 1st, 2005, 11:07 AM
Yeah moving to Maryland, my husband is in the military so we are being stationed elsewhere. Should be fun, *snort*. My Dad is flying out to drive our car so my two eldest boys will be with him. My husband and I will drive our truck with my 4 year old and the dog (for 4 days on the road *shudder*). The joys of moving. LOL

You know I completely forgot to read the Dion Fortune, I downloaded and the proceeded to forget (in my defense it has been a horrid summer, my truck was rear ended, my middle son Alex got whiplash from the accident so been dealing with that, my husband's Grandfather died, my Mom had gastric by-pass surgery and ended up in ICU but she is doing better now, plus I had visitors from out of state.). I want to get started reading it though cause I think it would be nice to read and have some more information. I haven't had a chance to read the MR Seller's book yet either (another one I need to get to). Now that life is settling down some and should be quiet for the next two months (then forget it with moving! LOL), I'm gonna hit all that stuff.

I'm looking forward to the books our authors here do. There have been a few I have been wanting to read and some I already do, so this gives me a huge excuse to buy the books. :D

Shatril
September 2nd, 2005, 08:03 AM
Well I'm going to post the poll today later. I'm still doing some research on this one.

Shatril

Hearthwitch
September 2nd, 2005, 01:10 PM
Can't wait to see what gets picked!

Elaethril
September 6th, 2005, 06:03 PM
I'm very interested in the book club (I just voted on the latest poll). I'm not so sure I can make live chats as my work hours are bizarre. Is there any discussion in this forum that is a continuation of the live chats or for those who can't make them or is discussion reserved for chats only?

Nonetheless, thanks to your offered suggestions for the month of October, I now have three books added to my 'buy and read' list. :)

Shatril
September 7th, 2005, 09:23 AM
I'm very interested in the book club (I just voted on the latest poll). I'm not so sure I can make live chats as my work hours are bizarre. Is there any discussion in this forum that is a continuation of the live chats or for those who can't make them or is discussion reserved for chats only?

Nonetheless, thanks to your offered suggestions for the month of October, I now have three books added to my 'buy and read' list. :)
If I'm not mistaken we can actually take the chat and save it in the Forum. I will ask Mol about this. That way you can see what was said, and then add your comments to this. I'm sure that we will be having some discussion between scheduled chats.

Shatril

Arinya
September 18th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Well...as I almost always do I'm going to say I will participate. But...like I almost always do I probably won't find time. :( School, work, and group activities take up so much time as it is and I have horrid amounts of readings I already don't do for classes, hehe.

However, I am HONESTLY going to try! I'm going to order the book this time and look at mw book reading time as fun time, not work time. :) I can do this! I will do this! :woot:

Hopefully...heh

Shatril
September 19th, 2005, 08:38 AM
If I'm not mistaken we can actually take the chat and save it in the Forum. I will ask Mol about this. That way you can see what was said, and then add your comments to this. I'm sure that we will be having some discussion between scheduled chats.

Shatril
I was assured by Mol that we can copy and past the chats in the thread, so for those who can't make the chats, it will be posted, and you may add your comments to that.

Shatril
September 19th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Well...as I almost always do I'm going to say I will participate. But...like I almost always do I probably won't find time. :( School, work, and group activities take up so much time as it is and I have horrid amounts of readings I already don't do for classes, hehe.

However, I am HONESTLY going to try! I'm going to order the book this time and look at mw book reading time as fun time, not work time. :) I can do this! I will do this! :woot:

Hopefully...heh
That's the way, cuz this reading is fun. Especially since no one is ramming it down your throat. NOW GET OUT THERE AND READ!!! j/king heheheh :)
Shatril