PDA

View Full Version : bread.

bansidhe
November 18th, 2001, 05:49 PM
okies, in a family of 2 adults, me and 3 children, we get through approx one loaf of bread a day. this includes skool lunches, etc. my mother thinks its crazy and that we must be making craft items out of the bread or something.

so how much bread do you guys get through?!

talamh
November 18th, 2001, 06:33 PM
i'd say a loaf of bread per day for five people including lunches is more then reasonable. For some people, this is the main source of grain intake so three or four slices of bread a day is needed. Most loaves of bread don't have 15 slices so one loaf a day is probably about right....

Maybe if there were grain alternatives in the diet such as porridge or cereal or rice.. or crackers or bagels.... the loaf of bread wouldn't go so fast. bb talamh

bansidhe
November 18th, 2001, 07:07 PM
yummm...porridge...with hunny...*drool*

Pheonix
November 18th, 2001, 09:33 PM
I also go through a loaf a day, but that is because i have a one year old that has decided that bread is her favourite food, and a two year old who feels that he has to have whatever his sister has. I think it all depends on your eating habits ( or your childrens)

Old Witch
November 18th, 2001, 10:55 PM
;) Not much bread, ton of toilet paper. I think I know why!:D

MammaStar
November 18th, 2001, 11:03 PM
We here go through about a loaf a week. Milk is hard to keep in this house though. My son says we should buy a cow. :lol:

Old Witch
November 18th, 2001, 11:28 PM
Come to think of it, we use an awful lot of butter.

Yvonne Belisle
November 18th, 2001, 11:45 PM
We are a family of six half a loaf of bread is enough to make one sandwich for each of us so you are about right. Get a bread machine it's cheaper. lol

Adrenaline Junkie
November 18th, 2001, 11:58 PM
We don't go through that much breed. But then again my mom does buy lots. We all have our special loaves. I have choc-full-of-fibre bread. I love it.

Armitage
November 19th, 2001, 01:03 AM
Not much bread, about one loaf of white and one of rye a week. (My mom and I love rye toast.) It's milk that disappears real quick here. A gallon is gone in a day-and-a-half to three days.

raevyncigany
November 19th, 2001, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by bansidhe
okies, in a family of 2 adults, me and 3 children, we get through approx one loaf of bread a day. this includes skool lunches, etc. my mother thinks its crazy and that we must be making craft items out of the bread or something.

so how much bread do you guys get through?!

Same here...a loaf a day, sometimes a loaf and a few bagels...my kids are bread freaks, especially my daughter...she is the queen of bread balls (long story)!!! Between sandwiches, morning toast, middle-of-the-day snacks and sometimes bread with dinner, it's easy to go through a loaf of bread...and think about it...there are only about 20-25 slices of bread in a loaf...adds up quick when there are five people in the house!!

BB

Rae )0(

Ball-Bhreac Ron
November 19th, 2001, 02:45 PM
we (4 people) get through the same as you bansidhe :D

Lavender
November 19th, 2001, 02:56 PM
We have 2 adults, 1 growing boy. I think we're at almost a loaf a day here.

No one likes the heel here so I save them for toasts or to make croutons for salads.

Demeter
November 19th, 2001, 03:48 PM
None. I don't eat bread or any grain products if I can avoid it.

Margie
November 19th, 2001, 11:07 PM
Let's see-living with my mom right now-so that's 4 adults and 2 kids + a baby who doesn't eat bread yet. I think we go through just a little less than a loaf a day...like 3 loaves in 4 days.

flar7
November 20th, 2001, 02:56 AM
How do you get by not eating grain products?
Just curious, seems unhealthy, do you use supplements or somethin?

mysticvik
November 20th, 2001, 07:51 PM
4 of us and the kids dont eat it! so its about half a loaf a day.

bansidhe
November 20th, 2001, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Demeter
None. I don't eat bread or any grain products if I can avoid it.

:eek: how can you handle it?! :eek:
i neeeeeed bread!!!

Demeter
November 20th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by flar7
How do you get by not eating grain products?
Just curious, seems unhealthy, do you use supplements or somethin?

There is nothing in grain that you can't get more of, and better, from somewhere else. All most grain provides are calories (empty ones by the time processing is completed) and fiber (which is available elsewhere). Quite frankly, the human body did not evolve to eat grain (look at everything we have to do to it to make it edible at all).

I eat meat, fish, poultry, a little dairy, eggs, lots and lots of salads and veggies, some beans, and some fruit -- a very healthy diet, as much organic stuff as possible. I drink a lot of water. No soda. No bread. No rice or potatoes, occasionally a little corn on the cob (because I like it, not because I need it).

I am hyperinsulinemic and refined sugars and starches are the worst thing in the world for my system. Diabetes runs up both sides of my family tree, and I was heading that way fast. I used to be extremely overweight and suffered from migraines, high blood pressure, joint pain, swollen feet and ankles, and a tendency to just get sick a lot. I've dropped my weight almost into the normal range (I still have a few pounds to go, and when I get to the weight I want I can maintain just by adding some more fruit and beans). My blood pressure is down, my joints no longer hurt, my ankles don't swell at the end of the day, and I can't tell you when the last time was that I had a migraine or a cold. My endurance and general resistance are up. I have proven to my own satisfaction that sugar was a direct cause of a lot of my migraines.

If I start eating bread and potatoes again, I will go back to the state I was in before. I choose to be healthy.

bansidhe
November 20th, 2001, 08:36 PM
fair enough then demeter! i couldnt handle not having bread tho! *drool* yum...

Demeter
November 20th, 2001, 08:54 PM
I USED to think so, too. I could demolish an entire bag of rolls for a snack. Frankly, I like seeing my feet better than I like bread. Wheat in particular triggers overeating binges for me, so I have to avoid it.

bansidhe
November 20th, 2001, 11:01 PM
fair enough, i mean, thats understandable! but, until then, im gonna mung my bread! specially cos im veggie and at maccas they dont have any veggie burgers...so i juss take out the meat and onions! :) yuuuuuum! juss had one about an hour ago. :D we need a yummy smilie...

Armitage
November 21st, 2001, 01:00 AM
Man, I couldn't give up bread...Though I have pretty much given up *white* bread. It's too bland, unless it's a peanut-butter sandwich, and wheat's even better for that.

bansidhe
November 21st, 2001, 01:01 AM
mmm...bread...especially toast...toast with butter and vegemite...*drool*

Ball-Bhreac Ron
November 21st, 2001, 02:48 PM
butter and vegemite??? nah ah, butter and MARMITE! :mmm: