PDA

View Full Version : Buddha/Hindu/Tao witch?

CleftOfLight
August 31st, 2005, 04:49 AM
Since a lot of people are talking about christain witchery I was just wondering if anyone else follows any of the Eastern Religions and combined it with witchery.Like Buddha Witch? Hindu Witch? Confusious Witch? Tao Witch? Hindu Witch?
Just curious.

Cassie
August 31st, 2005, 04:52 AM
I was taoist before I became a witch.
Now I'm a crazy mixed up mixture of wiccan, kemetic and taoist. But it seems to work! :)

taijiya
August 31st, 2005, 11:58 AM
I was taoist before I became a witch.
Now I'm a crazy mixed up mixture of wiccan, kemetic and taoist. But it seems to work!

I'm a weird mixture of Kemetic, Zen Buddhist, neo-pagan witch, and Thelemite, and a devotee (divined daughter) of Hethert to boot. You and I would get along pretty well, I think!

~*~taijiya~*~

Agaliha
August 31st, 2005, 03:21 PM
Well...I'm not exactly a Witch, but I have and still incorporate Hindu things into my path. Mainly Saraswati...if you all remember when I first came here. She's not my patron anymore, but I still honor her. I used to call myself a Pagan-Hindu...but I don't think that title applies as I am not following one path.

Darkwater Stone
August 31st, 2005, 04:36 PM
Since a lot of people are talking about christain witchery I was just wondering if anyone else follows any of the Eastern Religions and combined it with witchery.Like Buddha Witch? Hindu Witch? Confusious Witch? Tao Witch? Hindu Witch?
Just curious.

Yes, in time you will find that many individuals on this board follow those paths and incorporate witchcraft in them. A friend of mine incorporated all his belief systems into one creating a kind of "Hindu influenced wicca/witchcraft" if you will. Whatever you are interested I hope you find your path,
MM,

Nature Goddess

BenSt
August 31st, 2005, 10:57 PM
Hello all...

I saw hindu in the title and like a moth to the flame I came, im such a theological slut! lol. Well, if anyone pays attention to my posts...I have studied Hinduism for a few years now and most of the other belief systems of the area...there was actually a great discussion that several of us took part in a few weeks ago...I know my dear Blessedfeathers was in it as well. I won't recopy things from there but basicly a few years ago I myself was introduced to the Indian Goddess Kali and expanded from there. In many ways the belief systems are very similar because of their history together ( I mean you just have to realize that many of these belief systems are very olf and have come into contact with each other on more than one occasion...) I myself wouldn't say that Im a witch if I use Hindu theology or the philosophy of Tao, however more a term like magician or mystic. The philosophies do mix well together if taken in a non literal sense...Nirvana and Moksha are similar if you take the theology from them...as is the philosophy of Tao and karma. Just read as much as you can, and if I were you stay very secular if you want to explore the diverse beliefs...if you take one tradition soo literilly, you may become confused if you look into lets say religious Taoism...Have a good time, and I hope that one of the Ba Xien, Bodhisattvas or Devas calls to you....they can be a roudy lot, but theyre all in good fun :D Namaste

Tobias

BenSt
August 31st, 2005, 11:21 PM
http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=97169&page=1&pp=10 (http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=97169&page=1&pp=10)

Thats the thread from a few weeks ago...it mostly deals with a Hindu Wicca topic...but the conversation became quite good...there was a LOT of interesting thoughts coming from everyone (even if it did go of on a tangent and died *blushes*)...But it will give you soemwhat of an idea of whos out there as well as soem ideas...there is also a Buddhist class in the circle of teaching area, im sure you can get soem perspectives there :D. Namaste

Tobias

p.s. YES! I know what you mean with Saraswati, well soemwhat, I don't recognize her as MY Gurudevi, but after all they are just apsects of the one so...but you know, it's the arms, Im sure she has soem difficulty just maintainging balance, let alone taking care of her followers LOL...sorry...;)

Ninjakitten
September 2nd, 2005, 02:03 AM
I can't remember who the member was/is, but there's someone on MW that is a Taoist Witch and calls himself a Twitch :D

Aidron
September 2nd, 2005, 02:33 AM
Buddhism is one of the rarities that I do not feel inherently mixes well with the practice of magic, for the basis of Buddhism is to realize that desire is one's downfall and to remove oneself from that desire, but that very same desire must be present for magic to be practiced with success. [shrugs]

BenSt
September 2nd, 2005, 05:23 PM
On a fundamental level...Buddhism may not mix well with magic...however the fundamentals of a religion are always going to conflict with it's assimilations...however lets look at it on another level. Ok, the western view of magic is the underlying energy of the universe that we as magicians learn to harness. In the Buddhist view of Nirvana (or soem of them)...we as potential Buddhas ourselves will one day become so awakened that as a result our minds will automaticly be able to master the univwersal energies (however we may just choose not to becasue we will no longer be focusing on the world)...magic IS a possibility in the Buddhist spheres, although it does reflect on the ego of those using it. I like to think of it this way...a philosophy as extreme as Buddhism is in essence aware that not every one of it's followers will necessarily be ready for an abstract nonmaterial worldview...and so magic is very important for the common people to believe in. That is why if you go to nepal, india, Tibet, Mongolia and other places...we find a conflation of the old Bon folk religion and Buddhism to form the most mystical and magical forms of Buddhism, and subsequently the most popular in the West...Vajrayana or Tibetan Buddhism...there magic has been able to live quite compfortably. Namaste

Tobias

Ninjakitten
September 2nd, 2005, 06:57 PM
Also, the ninja in Japan had a very strong Buddhist influence from the Yamabushi mountain priests, yet they developed a system that can be considered a magic system very easily. Take a look at the kuji kiri, the use of chi (whatever name it goes by) in various martial arts, and things like that. Basically, Eastern magic. Even in the various forms of Kung Fu which held on to Buddhist (amongst others) teachings and ideas in their development, basically from the same source as the Yamabushi.

There are three basic types of Buddhism, though I'm still learning more about them, and my comparative religions book covers them pretty well, but basically one type is the "only enlightened if priest, monk, or nun" type approach, and they are looked highly upon by people in the villiages they're in because they do all sorts of blessings, cleansings, and whathaveyou (can be forms of magic since this system doesn't promote dieties). I forget the second one offhand, but the third one was a layman's version that allows the integration of beliefs in Diety and religions besides Buddhism. Ever wonder why the statistics in Japan say that 120% of the people are religious? It's because in Japan (at least), they sometimes blend religions, so they can have Buddhist/Christian/Shintoists.

Sorry I can't give better details than that. I'm still trying to fully remember the stuff I'm learning while cramming schoolwork into my brain (stuff seems to be leaking out my ears...).

CleftOfLight
September 4th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Thank you all very much.I enjoyed all of your explanations and how these paths can work with Magick.You have put some very good insight in my mind.
Blessings on you all.

Kathleen Wyse
September 10th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Better late than never... I made a response similar to this on another thread, but that was has seem to died, so here it goes:
I consider myself to be a Buddhist witch. I have been training with a Zen teacher for over ten years and taken Jukai vows (a covenant to adhere to Buddhist precepts). I veered away from witchcraft because dysfunctional family events led to a disruption in hereditary knowledge being passed, and I didn't want to end up learning witchcraft "half-ass" so to speak, and I didn't have a clue how to find a competent teacher. Last year an odd series of events led me to two amazing teachers in witchcraft, and I have stayed active in both spiritualities as their basic beliefs are very compatible. The only conflict I am trying to work out is the use of magic for anything other than protection. Has anyone else dealt with this conflict?

telecino
May 14th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Here is the history of the ninjas spiritual practice called "Kuji-in". Its a set of 9 ritual practices that use mudra (hand gestures) mantra (prayers) and mandala (visualization).

The Nine Hand Seals Technique and its related teachings have their origins in the Hindu religion where they were initially used by a few groups from the lower castes. These mystical techniques were a means used by the monks to bring the virtues of the spirit into mundane experience. The original form was not as developed as the system we have today. Thus, this historical perspective refers to the origins of the current system, not the modern Nine Hand Seals Technique as it exists today. Buddhism came out of Hinduism, and, with it, the Nine Hand Seals Technique became ever more popular. The original mudras remain the same as those taught in ancient times, but Buddhist mantras were also added to the system to enhance it. The original mantras were in Sanskrit. They are invocations and celebrations of the various Buddhas. The Buddhist movement later traveled to China, where the tradition was passed on to the hermetic and esoteric groups extant there. Boa Pu Zhi, a wise Chinese master, was the first to put the nine hand mudras on paper, in his work published around the 3rd century AC. Eventually, the techniques migrated to Japan, along with esoteric Buddhism, where the mantras were translated into Japanese phonetics.

The modern Kuji-In technique is composed of a ritual process comprising the traditional application of the Buddhist “three secrets” (mudra, mantra, and mandala). The true Kuji-In secret lies within the contemplation of that philosophy which we use to change our attitude about life. The goal of Kuji-In practice is not to acquire strength, control, healing powers, telepathy, etc... These are only side effects of practicing the rituals and focusing a bit on the governing philosophy. Most people learn the technique simply to attain one or more of these powerful side effects. By aiming at such a mundane goal, their limited focus will ultimately result in the attainment of 1/10th of what they could have achieved by practicing Kuji-In to the fullest. The real path of Kuji-In is the quest to know the truth about ourselves. It is a contemplation of higher principles, an application of noble behavior to our daily lives, and it requires the mental ability to perceive knowledge that is not studied, but revealed. Once a revelation occurs, the side effects mentioned earlier will develop rapidly and without effort.

A Kuji-In teacher transmits these techniques according to his own experience of its revelations. Since the technique was transmitted orally to many different groups, by many different masters, the organization of the root knowledge remains the same, but the ritual aspect has changed somewhat over time. Thus, there is no dramatic change in the system, because the true knowledge of Kuji-In is acquired through revelation, and the various ritual techniques inevitably stimulate the mind towards the same goal, which is the revelation of truth. As long as the ritual practice is applied, the side effects eventually manifest. The general public sees the manifestation of these side effects as the most obvious sign of the attainment of mastery and generally (and mistakenly) believes that they are the intent of these practices.

Some Kuji-In practitioners are adepts of meditation, and, according to them, the Kuji-In technique is a way to deepen meditation. Other Masters are Adepts of the martial arts, and, for them, the Kuji-In techniques build the profound inner powers of the warrior. Sorcerers will say that it develops the ability to manifest magical phenomena. Peasants and farmers might say it is the technique used to attract good fortune and stimulate good crops! Those who speculate on such matters suggest that there might be around 4000 different schools practicing these techniques around the world, each transmitting the technique with their own unique variations. Some Buddhists use a Qi Gong dance along with the 9 syllables, while others sit still in meditation and use a longer version of the Nine Mantra prayers. The application of the principles doesn’t matter. As long as the Kuji-In philosophy is the proper foundation of the ritual technique, the desired results will be attained.

It is crucial to receive the teachings, techniques and philosophy of Kuji-In from a competent teacher. Although you could read the technical details of the practice in any book related to this system, only the insight and guidance of an experienced teacher will bring about an understanding of the attitude that is necessary to stimulate the requisite revelation process in the student. The revelation of such knowledge is not a conscious process and cannot be logically reasoned from the facts at hand. A competent teacher is therefore one who has personally experienced the phenomena of inner revelation repeatedly over a number of years. Although we might also say that a competent teacher has learned the techniques by himself (and that would be partially true), it would shed doubt on the competence of the teacher to suggest that he or she has ONLY learned these techniques by him or herself. In fact, the most important factor in this learning is the guidance that the practitioner receives in order to attain the state of revelation. This revealed knowledge is simply validated by the teacher, so the student does not doubt their first experiences. Later on, if the student has some competence in pedagogy, and has acquired enough of a deeper understanding of the technique over the years to merit it, he might become a teacher himself.

CleftOfLight
June 8th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I did not know anything bout the Kaji-in,thank you for sharing.

telecino
August 14th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Ah! Ah!

Aside from typing in 149 times in the previous post, i'll go at it again: it's "Kuji-In".

:lookwhats

telecino
August 14th, 2006, 09:05 PM
But you are right about one thing, not everyone call it the same.

Some people will simply talk about "Self-Empowerment" meditative techniques, on "Nine Hand Seals" or "Nine Mudras", some say the technique's name is "Nine Mantras"... many names, since the technique is so ancient.

RaisingAbel
August 16th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Buddhism is one of the rarities that I do not feel inherently mixes well with the practice of magic, for the basis of Buddhism is to realize that desire is one's downfall and to remove oneself from that desire, but that very same desire must be present for magic to be practiced with success. [shrugs]
Check out Tibetan Buddhist Mysticism. It's full of magic. Mantras, Yantras, ritual... the list goes on...Most of the magic is to destroy the Ego, realize that life itself is magic, and the Self/Atman/Nirvana/etc. is beyond all that.

star_belfire
October 2nd, 2006, 08:22 AM
I can't remember who the member was/is, but there's someone on MW that is a Taoist Witch and calls himself a Twitch :D

Since I mix a lot of Buddist teachings in to what I pratice I guess that makes me a b...........you know that is way to easy lol

telecino
April 30th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Hi,

I'm a buddhist Priest of the Hongaku Jodo tradition, which focuses mostly of integrating the pure mind. There should not be any magic here, would it?

Well, i'm also practicing Kuji-In which is a ritual of invocation of the power of Spirit in the manifested world, and it gives way to the manifestation of our inner desires and the creation of experiences of events. In other words, we use Kuji-In to enhance our power of manifestation, thus, there are desires involved.