PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Katrina: God's Punishment for a 'Wicked' City?

Meadhbh
August 31st, 2005, 03:47 PM
Hurricane Katrina: God's Punishment for a 'Wicked' City?
A reader writes: Is it true that Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans on a day that was to observe "Southern Decadence Day" with 100,000 homosexuals gathering to commit unspeakable acts in public?

In a word, no. Despite the fact that some fundamentalist Christians appear to be reveling, almost, in what they describe as "God's judgment" on the "wicked" city of New Orleans, and despite their attempt to link the timing of the disaster to a gay celebration held there annually, their claims are patently absurd:
The hurricane struck on Monday, September 29. This year's Southern Decadence Day, sometimes called "the Gay Mardi Gras," was scheduled to open today, Wednesday the 31st, and continue through Sunday. The storm obviously did not strike on "the day" of the celebration. Many, perhaps most, of the revelers had not even arrived yet.
Southern Decadence Day is a 35-year-old tradition in New Orleans. Why did God choose to wait till 2005 "punish" the city for it?
Why is the French Quarter, the district where the event (now canceled) was to be held, one of the least devastated parts of the city so far?
If this tragedy occurred because God is angry at New Orleans, what was the point of the awful devastation and loss of life wrought in Mississippi and Alabama?
Lastly, if I may vent a bit, I find it shameful, given the massive destruction, loss of innocent life, and ongoing hardships suffered by the hundreds of thousands of victims of Hurricane Katrina, that any self-appointed spokesperson for God would have the nerve to suggest that these people in any sense deserved their fate. Natural disasters happen all the time, and Katrina was certainly not the first hurricane to strike the southern United States this season. By what logic, and by what right, does any human being arbitrarily declare that this natural disaster was a punishment meted out upon sinners by God?

http://urbanlegends.about.com/ (http://urbanlegends.about.com/)

Thats it, I have had it with the right wing christains. I simply can't understand the audacity, and cruelity it would take to claim Katrina is the work of Yahweh againist the city. Now is not the time to point fingers at any group of people. Thousands of people may be dead and all they can think about is that their god did this to punish people. How horrid is that?

Felidae
August 31st, 2005, 03:55 PM
The sad thing is that I'm not suprised. I was just wondering how soon it would come up, as the correlation between NO and Mississippi's gambling mecca would be obvious.

DragonsChest
August 31st, 2005, 03:56 PM
I rank the radical Christians along side with the radical Muslims, who said that "Private Katrina" is a soldier for the jihad and that God is fighting for them, and with His help, oil will be over $100/barrel by the end of the year.

In fact, I rank together any radical extreme religious group, whether they be Christian, Muslim, Wiccan, Pagan, Jewish, et al, who would believe that such a natural disaster is any gods' or goddess' "wrath" upon the infidels, as STUPID and IGNORANT.

Self rightous people never cease to amaze me.

Zibblsnrt
August 31st, 2005, 04:13 PM
I'm currently trying to figure out why this is in the science forum...

Alaiyo
August 31st, 2005, 04:52 PM
Me too...I thought it would go under "Just Silly" along with everything that Rev. Fred Phelps and Pat Robertson has said.

mcc
August 31st, 2005, 10:48 PM
We can make it so.

I would like at this point to observe that I have done some small amount of study in meteorology in college, and there is no scientific link, either supported by theory or a causal link in statistics, between local level of homosexuality and weather patterns.

Flar's Freyja
August 31st, 2005, 10:52 PM
LOL, I was waiting for someone to come up with that. Or to see preachers on street corners again telling us that everything in Revelation is coming true and the end is here, I mean, near....

I'm not qualified to discuss it in scientific terms, but did you put it here hoping that someone could scientifically shoot down that theory?

AutumnWitchie
August 31st, 2005, 11:58 PM
I heard Pat RObertson say today on the 700 Club that the "ENd Times" are upon us and Katrina was part of it.

mcc
September 1st, 2005, 12:00 AM
Okay, now this is just messed up. (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/8/31/0836/62623)

Flar's Freyja
September 1st, 2005, 12:03 AM
Okay, now this is just messed up. (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/8/31/0836/62623)

Damn them pagans and gays and abortionists! Oh wait a sec, I'm one of them......

Ummm....it actually looks more like an angel, the Virgin Mary or an anime character to me.

Hmmmm.......what do you think would happen if some pagan, say Starhawk, for instance, started preaching that all these things are happening because Christians aren't walking their talk?

Just a what if......

Incendia
September 1st, 2005, 12:06 AM
I new it wouldn't be long before some dumb*ss made that claim! :geez:

Lunacie
September 1st, 2005, 12:06 AM
And this: http://www.beliefnet.com/story/173/story_17395_1.html

Flar's Freyja
September 1st, 2005, 12:11 AM
I would like at this point to observe that I have done some small amount of study in meteorology in college, and there is no scientific link, either supported by theory or a causal link in statistics, between local level of homosexuality and weather patterns.

I just got that :nyah:

:yourock:

WynterWynd
September 1st, 2005, 02:08 AM

Now wait a minute.....I saw Pat Robertsons mug in one of the weather patterns from Katrina!

I declare is all his fault!!!:smoke:

mcc
September 1st, 2005, 02:15 AM
Yes, but is Pat Robertson orange?

Xentor
September 1st, 2005, 02:18 AM

Good question. Thread moved to theology and philosophy.

Morr
September 1st, 2005, 02:56 AM
Out here in Israel some fundamentalist Rabbies declared Katrina hit the US and brought such disaster because of Bush's support of the Israeli withdrawl from Gaza and the Northern West Bank.

*shakes head*

DragonsChest
September 1st, 2005, 08:51 AM
Just goes to show that there are religious "wackos" on both sides of the world, willing to use any and all events to further their own brand of faith. :holycow:

Choro's Mom
September 1st, 2005, 08:55 AM
Out here in Israel some fundamentalist Rabbies declared Katrina hit the US and brought such disaster because of Bush's support of the Israeli withdrawl from Gaza and the Northern West Bank.

*shakes head*

GAAAGGGHHH.

Let me guess: this is the same group that says the Holocaust was punishment for Jews failing to follow Torah.

:razz:

Morr
September 1st, 2005, 08:57 AM
GAAAGGGHHH.

Let me guess: this is the same group that says the Holocaust was punishment for Jews failing to follow Torah.

:razz:

Yup.

AutumnWitchie
September 1st, 2005, 11:27 AM
Katrina, the tsunami and all these other natural disasters are Mother Earth's way of shaking off some of us leeches. ;)

SSanf
September 1st, 2005, 11:43 AM
Ya know, I think the fundies are just plain crazy.

Valnorran
September 1st, 2005, 12:18 PM
:rolleyes: Hell, what took God so long? New Orleans has been a city of sin pretty much from day 1.

DragonsChest
September 1st, 2005, 01:37 PM
:rolleyes: Hell, what took God so long? New Orleans has been a city of sin pretty much from day 1.

*places hand together in a repose of prayer* GOD'S days are not our days, my son.

Whitewolf
September 5th, 2005, 01:00 AM
God must love stupid people, he made so many of them. To me it doesn't matter what Fred Phelps, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell and those other stupid people think. They all have their heads up their ass. Btw, never underestimate the power of stupid people, in large groups.

-Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

WynterWynd
September 5th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Yes, but is Pat Robertson orange?

He is if you take off his make up:cutie:

LadyCelt
September 5th, 2005, 04:16 AM
I feel it sad and a d*mn shame. I belong to a couple Chrsitian forums where peopel are agreeing this may be the reason. Its called a coincidence.

I think judging this way is most likely to get judgement upon them next. Every city has different forms of sin and wickedness. I don't think one exists without it. And, I always feel a sin is a sin. How many cities have nobody that lies or has affairs or heck even sins with their eyes and thoughts though not in actions?

People should donate and pray instead of scourn.

HeavensHope
September 5th, 2005, 04:40 AM
Good lord, I'm so sick of people blaming this on that on God. It's just nature doing it's thing, like I said somewhere else, rather there be people or not this still would have happened. Of course if there were no people living in that area, it probably wouldnt be that big of a deal. Since it happens that New Orleans is a heavily populated city that is located on the coast of LA it got hit. It is hurricane season after all.

Mississippi and some parts of Alabama got hit, and I know for a fact that those states have some hardcore christians. They lost their lives and their homes too. What do they say about that? N.O. just happens to be bigger then the other coastal towns/cities that got hit in those states. I swear people are so stupid sometimes.

There are other cities known for 'sin' how about Las Vegas? hello? Nothings happened to that place. It's filled with all kinds of stuff, it's so bad you cant talk about it..that's why they say "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."

Garnet
September 5th, 2005, 07:34 AM
I just checked out ol' Fred Phelp's site. Oy gevalt!!!! He's decided it's a sin to pray for America now. 'Thank G*d for Katrina' he says.
*shakes head* What a whacko.

I remember an episode of Twighlight Zone where a man decided he was the city's moral compass, & announced that all that evil people would become tiny (after the authorities refused to take his calls). At the end of the episode, he was a teeny person being chased by the cat.

I like to think of Fred as about 6 inches tall.................

Mistress_Ravenshadow
September 5th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Thats it, I have had it with the right wing christains. I simply can't understand the audacity, and cruelity it would take to claim Katrina is the work of Yahweh againist the city. Now is not the time to point fingers at any group of people. Thousands of people may be dead and all they can think about is that their god did this to punish people. How horrid is that?

*sarcasm mode on* and they claim to worship a LOVING god!!!!!! I would hate to see what would happen if he wasn't such a 'loving' god..*sarcasm mode off*

I can't understand how anyone could say such a thing either.. the sad thing is as much as i don't understand it i'm not in the least bit surprised..

LadyCelt
September 5th, 2005, 11:48 AM
I have friends who are right wing Christians, and I can assure you that NONE of them are blaming it on other people and their "sin."

This is just disgusting what I will post here. I got it form a link from a Christian forum I'm on. I got scourned for simply posting something form another forum there about what soembody else thought was the cause (and no it wasn't sin) And I was cursed at for showing negative things isntead of spending mytime on prayers Yet, none of the posts tehre about balming it on the gay festival were scourned Anyways, here's form the ill and horrible link:

http://www.kimclement.com/words/2005/July222005.htm (http://www.kimclement.com/words/2005/July222005.htm)

"Servants of God:

Enough of past curses reminding you of yesterdays failures. Enough of New Orleans and its treachery. Enough of stealing the Ark of the Covenant from my people just because you had those surrounding you that had no faith. Caleb said we are able to take this land. Joshua said we are able to take this land. But ten voices arose against the Lord God. And they would stone my servant Moses and say let us stone them and raise up another leader so that we may go back to Egypt. Would you go back to your dung? Would you go back to your vomit?

O New Orleans God speaks to you from Houston tonight and says enough of this! For a judgment is coming says the Spirit of the Lord, and I will take the men that have stood in faith, raise them above the flood that shall destroy those that constantly bicker and stand against my servant Moses, or my servant Bilbo. I want you to understand there are great men in New Orleans that have faith but you have been set aside not to lose but to win. Enough of this! For I will take the curses and the bodies will even rise and they will come forth on the water, but I will keep you and the stench of death will only last a few days. And then what I promised two years ago will come to pass for August, September and October of this year I made a promise it would happen, and God said be strengthened now, be strengthened now for enough is enough says the Lord."

Its as if some people are happy and feel its justified this way in a good way. let's say it was for sin, I woudln't be happy. Shoot, I'd be more fearful cause EVERYWHERE ON EARTH sins. Sometimes some Christians have more Stan in them than the Lord and they don't even know it. They need my prayers more than they know.

Tobias
September 5th, 2005, 01:03 PM
That's a pretty interesting prophecy from Kim Clement. Please note that he said that on July 22, before Katrina was even born yet! (I think)

I used to follow Kim Clement's ministry. He's a xtian Prophet from South Africa, and was pretty accurate back in the late 80's when I first encountered him. I think he got a little in to himself, doing musical prophecy with his "band" and such, but occasionally he does come up with something accurate. He did predict Saddam's capture less than 2 months before it happened.

I don't know what to say to those who think that it was "God's Wrath" that sent Katrina that way. My mom says that the three most devistated cities New Orleans, Mobil, and one other, are also the 3 most popular for the Marti Gras; which in her words is: "Basically just one big orgy."

-------------------
In my opinion, there is a valuable lesson to be learned here:

If the people in New Orleans had just pulled together and tried helping each other (like the people in New York after 9/11), the situation would have been much better. Instead, the cops were forced to police the area, rather than help in search and rescue. Citizens trying to help were turned away by police, because some had been mugged while donating their time and resourses to help. Bodies laid where they had fallen at the Superdome, because nobody took it upon themselves to remove them. The people there cared more about fighting and raping and stealing.

The real travisty in New Orleans was not due to the weather, but in how the locals responded to the situation. Many people died, and everyone suffered more than they had to because of the "sin" in the hearts of many.

David19
September 5th, 2005, 01:27 PM
I don't think God sent the hurricane to punish people, it was just an tragedy and tragedies happen every day in the world such as Iraq, Africa, New Orleans, etc. Also i doubt God would have a problem with homosexuality since my uncle is gay and catholic and hasn't been struck down by lightening :)

Any type of bigot will just pick up on a disaster and say it was a sign like fundamentalists of whatever religion will say it Katrina was sent as a punishment or after 9/11 & the London bombing, you had bigots saying muslims were evil which i got from reading a post at a right wing odinist forum.

In my opinion, I think people should try to help out the survivors and not listen to what any fundamentalist has to say, although speaking of prophecies, last weekend, my uncle who's very anti-bush said that he couldn't wait for America to fall, this was before Katrina and after seeing the pictures of New Orleans his wish may have come true (BTW, just in case anyone's wondering, i don't share my uncle's view although i am anti-bush)

Gracecat
September 5th, 2005, 07:07 PM
actually, it's inaccurate (the first article from the original poster that is)

Southern Decadence occurs on Labor Day weekend (as it does every year), one full week *AFTER* the hurricane. I know, my husband and I spent a very nice weekend there last year. And the homosexuals that descend upon the city were very very very pleasant to share the city with.

As far as the rest, I skipped it :)

paygun
September 5th, 2005, 07:28 PM
These people don't have any choice but to look at this as "God's Judgement" or whatever. They've painted themselves into a corner with fundamentalism.