PDA

View Full Version : Another Affect of Katrina

CajunLady
August 31st, 2005, 06:51 PM
It sucks so bad, but what can we do? Gas prices are going up here. Prices were already $2.49 a gallon yesterday. Today they went up to $2.70. By this weekend, they'll be closer to $4.00. In Atlanta, it's already $5 a gallon. This is so crazy!! But all those oil refineries in the Gulf got messed up, they floated away. They're supposed be releasing some oil from the reserves, but I hope they do it quick. We were able to get gas today, but some stations are already out. And I'm not sure how long a tank of gas will last my hubby going back and forth to work. But things could always be worse here.

Teresa
August 31st, 2005, 06:53 PM
They are raising the gas prices here as well.There is not much we can do about it though. Some of our fuel came from the affected area.

CajunLady
August 31st, 2005, 06:53 PM
nope, all we can do is bitch and complain, but that won't get us anywhere but more frustrated and stressed out for no reason at all.

Penthesilea
August 31st, 2005, 06:55 PM
It sucks so bad, but what can we do? Gas prices are going up here. Prices were already $2.49 a gallon yesterday. Today they went up to $2.70. By this weekend, they'll be closer to $4.00. In Atlanta, it's already $5 a gallon. This is so crazy!! But all those oil refineries in the Gulf got messed up, they floated away. They're supposed be releasing some oil from the reserves, but I hope they do it quick. We were able to get gas today, but some stations are already out. And I'm not sure how long a tank of gas will last my hubby going back and forth to work. But things could always be worse here.$3.19 for unleaded this morning. $3.29 for mid-grade and $3.39 for preminum and it can only get worse in the short term. :sadeyes:

CajunLady
August 31st, 2005, 07:00 PM
And if it's not bad enough, there are some hotels in the Tuscaloosa area that are kicking refugees out because there is a football game this weekend and they need the space for those coming in!! Hello? How fricking rude is that?

StarCraftLia
August 31st, 2005, 07:01 PM
w

CajunLady
August 31st, 2005, 07:03 PM
I understand why gas is going up, but I find it very, very hard to believe that they had to be up this high to begin with.

Shanti
August 31st, 2005, 07:04 PM
nope, all we can do is bitch and complain, but that won't get us anywhere but more frustrated and stressed out for no reason at all.
For me complaining is a way to release the stress caused by getting poorer and struggling because my SO has to commute so he can get a paycheck to fill that dam gas tank!! And the circle continues. Bitching is a way to not go crazy or get all depressed!

Shanti
August 31st, 2005, 07:05 PM
And if it's not bad enough, there are some hotels in the Tuscaloosa area that are kicking refugees out because there is a football game this weekend and they need the space for those coming in!! Hello? How fricking rude is that?

Thats friggen bull marbles!!

Old Witch
August 31st, 2005, 07:05 PM
I just paid 3.15 a gallon ...saw on the CBS Evening News where gas was 5.97 a gallon in Atlanta for regular...they showed the sign........

CajunLady
August 31st, 2005, 07:06 PM
For me complaining is a way to release the stress caused by getting poorer and struggling because my SO has to commute so he can get a paycheck to fill that dam gas tank!! And the circle continues. Bitching is a way to not go crazy or get all depressed!
LOL yeah I guess! I need a punching bag...it would be much better on my health than stressing out because I'm coating someone's pocket with my gas money!!

CajunLady
August 31st, 2005, 07:08 PM
I just paid 3.15 a gallon ...saw on the CBS Evening News where gas was 5.97 a gallon in Atlanta for regular...they showed the sign........
Damn, see that's gone up since I saw it a couple hours ago.

Totally off topic....they are having a ton of blood drives here because they desperately need it over there. Usually they won't take your blood if you've gotten a tattoo in the past year. Do you think they'd still turn me away even if they need it so bad?

Rhianna813
August 31st, 2005, 07:14 PM

Totally off topic....they are having a ton of blood drives here because they desperately need it over there. Usually they won't take your blood if you've gotten a tattoo in the past year. Do you think they'd still turn me away even if they need it so bad?

Probably, I am guessing the tattoo connection is related to spreading a disease that might have been obtained from getting inked. So I am also guessing they would not want to take that risk and potentially cause a bad situation to get worse. Maybe it would depend on how recent the tattoo...... never hurts to ask though :-)

Rhianna

Shanti
August 31st, 2005, 07:14 PM

I know theres the fear of infected blood after a tatoo so they prob will say no because what good is the blood if theres a chance its infected? I dont think they want to take that risk no matter how desperate they are.

Shanti
August 31st, 2005, 07:15 PM
Probably, I am guessing the tattoo connection is related to spreading a disease that might have been obtained from getting inked. So I am also guessing they would not want to take that risk and potentially cause a bad situation to get worse. Maybe it would depend on how recent the tattoo...... never hurts to ask though :-)

Rhianna

You beat me to it!! LOL

CajunLady
August 31st, 2005, 07:20 PM
makes sense. I got my tattoo in Feb.

atropa
August 31st, 2005, 08:30 PM

God I know!! Sports in the south, I swear! I think football is not as important as refugees that have lost everything. :rant: My husband is driving around right now trying to find some gas so wish him luck.

Aidron
September 1st, 2005, 02:26 AM
It went from $2.29 to $3.00-something here (haven't gone out and checked yet, I don't have anywhere pressing to go and I'm trying not to go anywhere unless it's a matter of life and death) and it is supposed to keep on rising higher and higher by the day.

Between political mess in the East and this hurricane, one may go broke simply trying to keep their cars full.

WokeUpDead
September 1st, 2005, 04:10 PM
$2.90 was the lowest I saw yesterday and I'm sure it will be at least $0.25 higher today.

misty
September 1st, 2005, 06:49 PM
It was $3.39 for regular unleaded here an hour ago....

CajunLady
September 1st, 2005, 09:11 PM
SInce yesterday, things haven't gone up here..I saw one place in Montgomery where it was $3.09. But most places it's $2.79 to $2.99. And it seems most places still have gas. I feel stupid for rushing to get in line yesterday for 30-445 minutes. But hey, it's better safe than sorry!!

atropa, I don't know where in Montgomery you are. But the BP station on Burbank across from Sonic has gas.(by Eastdale Mall) As does the Entec on the ByPass going towards Wetumpka. Later this afternoon, I saw it was about $2.79-$2.89 a gallon there.

Teresa
September 1st, 2005, 09:18 PM
There must have been a panic here in my area as the 4 gas stations around my neighborhood are now without gas and people were in incredibly long lines waiting to get gas yesterday. :ahhhh: :ahhhh:

Painted_Crow
September 1st, 2005, 10:04 PM
They're supposed be releasing some oil from the reserves, but I hope they do it quick. .

Unfortunately sister, releasing oil from our reserves (which we should have been doing all this time) will show little to no effect on prices. "W" has his hands stained in oil and his money is covered in it. He'll make up an excuse as always as to why he cannot do anything about it and we will keep feeding the petroleum monster. That is, untill we realize that alternative energy is the way to go. Yes prices are high right now, but that is because there is little demand for it. But if lets say for the sake of argument, 40-50% of Americans want to use alternative energy then production and supplies for alternative energy will go and prices will come down.

What I mean by alternative energy pertains to two things: business/residential and transportation. For years I have been looking into converting my home to solor and wind power only. With a backup generator for bad storms or such. I would like to be the first house in the area to proove that you can harness the power of the sun (with no affiliation to Sunny Delight orange juice) and wind currents. I plan on making my house (which is actually painted this way when I bought it) a true "Green House". I plan on offering classes and information to people who can do it themselves and truly know how it is to live off of the preverbial grid. But it will take me time on that. As I said earlier, it costs alot more money now than it will in the future.

As for trasportation, we have (well while supplies last) hybrid cars and (shudder) SUV's out in the market. Yes they still require gas, but it's a great stepping stone to ween people off of total reliance on petrol. solar powered cars are in the works, but just as they are.. in the works. Hydrogen cars sound like a great idea right now as well. But the negative image hydrogen puts in the minds of most people doesn't set too well with them (they think of an H-Bomb). Heck there is even synthetic gas that was mass produced in the 70's that never really caught on. Why? Government that's why. It's cheaper to buy, cheaper to make and safer for the environment.

I have always said "history will repeat itself if we do not learn from our actions and try to correct them". Brothers and sisters, it's the 1970's all over again. What we need to do is look back at the alternative ideas and advancements that have come over the years and strive to enbrace it and show them that we need it.

EDIT: I also wanted to say that some guys (i'll look for the article) took a Honda Prius and put their experimental generator in it. It got 99.9 miles to the gallon. No fooling. After some more tests they want to sell the idea to the automotive industry. I say open your own plant and build the cars yourself.

www.hypercar.com (www.hypercar.com)

Teresa
September 2nd, 2005, 12:29 AM

I believe if you have not gotten one within the last 6 months they will take your blood .Do not quote me as they will not take mine because I am diabetic but I have tried to donate and had a friend able to give because he had not had a tattoo applied within the past 6 months. There is a place that takes blood near my job.

LadyCelt
September 2nd, 2005, 02:49 AM

i would let them stay with me isntead of that. How shameful.