PDA

View Full Version : Bad news from New Orleans

RowanMegaera
August 31st, 2005, 07:07 PM
My husband, a Navy helicopter pilot assigned to the relief effort in New Orleans called me for the first time since he left.

He said they were in Alexandria, LA picking up cases of water and medicine to drop off to the hospitals and refugees on the highway overpasses. Earlier in the day he was dropping sandbags (unsuccessfully) on the levees until they saw it wasn't working and they needed to get supplies to people before nightfall.

He said he was on the news, but looked very bad because the reporter was trying to interview him while they were loading the helicopter and he told the guy to back off and let them work. They're driving the forklifts themselves to load the helicopter because there aren't enough people to help. They left the boat at 6:30 yesterday evening and haven't had a chance to rest since then. They'll have to fly back to the boat to sleep because there is no where on land for them to stay.

He also said that whatever we've seen on the news just doesn't even begin to show how bad it really is there. He said no matter what, he and his guys are going to be there for quite a while.

CajunLady
August 31st, 2005, 07:10 PM
I think we sould all get together and if nothing else, pray for these people. They need our prayers and energies, along with other "donations".

Penthesilea
August 31st, 2005, 07:10 PM
My husband, a Navy helicopter pilot assigned to the relief effort in New Orleans called me for the first time since he left.

He said they were in Alexandria, LA picking up cases of water and medicine to drop off to the hospitals and refugees on the highway overpasses. Earlier in the day he was dropping sandbags (unsuccessfully) on the levees until they saw it wasn't working and they needed to get supplies to people before nightfall.

He said he was on the news, but looked very bad because the reporter was trying to interview him while they were loading the helicopter and he told the guy to back off and let them work. They're driving the forklifts themselves to load the helicopter because there aren't enough people to help. They left the boat at 6:30 yesterday evening and haven't had a chance to rest since then. They'll have to fly back to the boat to sleep because there is no where on land for them to stay.

He also said that whatever we've seen on the news just doesn't even begin to show how bad it really is there. He said no matter what, he and his guys are going to be there for quite a while.Give your man a hug from me when the opportunity presents itself. He's an unsung hero.

Shanti
August 31st, 2005, 07:11 PM

He also said that whatever we've seen on the news just doesn't even begin to show how bad it really is there. He said no matter what, he and his guys are going to be there for quite a while.

Some people have said its not as bad as tv portraits but if your in it..I can imagine no pics on tv can truly relate to the level everything is at.

I hope he stays safe and his heart doesnt become to heavy from the load its carrying.

Old Witch
August 31st, 2005, 07:13 PM
Huggles and kudos to your guy!!

Sowelu
August 31st, 2005, 07:35 PM
(((Hugs))) to your man and all who are helping! These are indeed sad times!

Lunacie
August 31st, 2005, 07:59 PM
Huggs and appreciative energies to those who step up and help out in disasters. :hugz:

RowanMegaera
August 31st, 2005, 08:36 PM
Thank you all, keep the people who need it in your prayers.

Xander67
August 31st, 2005, 08:41 PM
The Salvation army is asking for Blankets, and clothing.... to be distributed to the shelters in Arkansas, Texas, Tennessee and the other states that will be recieving more storm victims...

the grim news is that in some areas, the emergency personell are focused primarily on the Rescue operation and so they are being told to ignore the dead for now...

The most important thing right now is rescuing the ones that are still trapped in New orelans and getting the people that are alive out of the city so the clean up crews can do thier work.

Xander67
August 31st, 2005, 08:43 PM

He said they were in Alexandria,.

Kudos to your husband... and may the Goddess protect him

Kalika
August 31st, 2005, 09:00 PM
:hugz:

Madame De La Mort
August 31st, 2005, 10:33 PM
I have just found out that there are sharks in New Orleans as well as snakes gators and its West Nile season and with all the standing water. And Burbon street is on fire and the water pressure is not strong enough to put the fire out.

Xander67
August 31st, 2005, 11:02 PM
yeah, that fire was on Canal and Burbon , plenty of firefighters but no water,
the fire started sometime this afternoon.

Flar's Freyja
August 31st, 2005, 11:04 PM
Sending him and his troop hugs and energy-

and still wondering why our illustrious commander in chief didn't deploy my son's unit.

Madame De La Mort
August 31st, 2005, 11:05 PM
My great Aunt's house was on Canal street. Key word was. Her son is missing. I have family in various parts of New Orleans

Koehnae
August 31st, 2005, 11:06 PM
:hugz: to all those who are doing their part to help. Those in the thick of it have my greatest respect... I don't think I'd have the stomach to deal with the devastation they must be seeing now.

Xander67
August 31st, 2005, 11:10 PM
Sending him and his troop hugs and energy-

and still wondering why our illustrious commander in chief didn't deploy my son's unit.

what does his unit specialize in ? It may already be on the deploy list... there are several more units said to be deployed ... they will need to rotate them in and out because according to the President this will be a long term deployment, as in Months to maybe a year or more...

Xander67
August 31st, 2005, 11:13 PM
Feyja,

Bush says Recovery can take years...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050901/ap_on_go_pr_wh/katrina_washington (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050901/ap_on_go_pr_wh/katrina_washington)

Xander67
August 31st, 2005, 11:17 PM
This is just sad, they are airlifting Babies from Hospitals without thier Parents

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050901/ap_on_re_us/katrina_health_emergency (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050901/ap_on_re_us/katrina_health_emergency)

Madame De La Mort
August 31st, 2005, 11:18 PM
I feel sorry for Kat Blanko. Half her state is gone.

Willow Rosette
August 31st, 2005, 11:20 PM
Safe energy sent to your husband. Please tell him we too say thank you. Prayers to all those still on the ground.

Old Witch
August 31st, 2005, 11:22 PM
Our area is opening up shelters in local churches for people...Yes they are many refugees that have come as far as Augusta Ga....Local Wal Marts and the Red Cross have partnered here to help....Wal Mart providing food and the Red Cross organizing shelter...One family of 61 showed up in cars and pick ups and were put up in the gym of a local Baptist church...Many of our gas stations have run out of gas...........

Jenne
August 31st, 2005, 11:25 PM
I was JUST THERE in mid-June...this is so sad. All the small communities and countryside my husband and I toured with our boys--gone. I'm so glad I had a bug up my rear to visit it this Summer. I'm so saddened by all the loss that's happened this week...the sheer desperation of the people is just heart-breaking.

narleymarley03
August 31st, 2005, 11:51 PM
Tell your husband "Thank you!"

RowanMegaera
September 1st, 2005, 09:05 AM
I was JUST THERE in mid-June...this is so sad. All the small communities and countryside my husband and I toured with our boys--gone. I'm so glad I had a bug up my rear to visit it this Summer. I'm so saddened by all the loss that's happened this week...the sheer desperation of the people is just heart-breaking.

I've always said, New Orleans is the home of my heart. My husband hates it so I could never live there. But when I was living in Florida and Mississippi I drove there at least twice per month.

When he called me he actually said, "You know I hate this place, but I know how much you love it and my heart is breaking for you to see how bad things really are here."

Eowyn
September 1st, 2005, 09:36 AM
How horrible. I dont live in the States or have any money to make a donation but I'll hope for a good outcome of all this and that they fix it as soon as possible (yeah I know I dont sound very smart) even though it's gonna take about a year if not more.

*hugs everyone affected by the disaster*

Lewen
September 1st, 2005, 09:44 AM
I have just found out that there are sharks in New Orleans as well as snakes gators and its West Nile season and with all the standing water. And Burbon street is on fire and the water pressure is not strong enough to put the fire out.

Yep, we have some bull sharks in Lake Ponchartrain...lovely.

banondraig
September 1st, 2005, 09:56 AM
:hugz: to everyone in the hurricane path, and everyone helping out . . .

Madame De La Mort
September 1st, 2005, 07:44 PM
I am helping out at shelters. Giving food and just talking to the people that could end up living here.