PDA

View Full Version : katrina- this was not random.

spooky
September 1st, 2005, 02:01 PM
i was sitting with friends watching the aftermath of katrina, the looting and the flooding. president bush came on our screen and discussed the relief efforts. one of my friends chimed in- "you can say what you want about his politics, but what other president in recent history has had to deal with so much disaster?"

WHAT? are you Loveing kidding me? this is not just random disaster. the crisis in new orleans is related to people's actions!

here we go- why do you think new orleans is so deep under water? so deep people drowned in their attics? because when the state's decicion making people got together and decided where to build the levees, in effect deciding which counties would be saved and which counties would be flooded, money won out over praticality. people with money held the meeting, asked only two people from surrounding counties to attend, then voted. they didn't keep in mind what would happen if the levee broke, so they didn't just move the population someplace a little higher. people decided to save property at the risk of people's lives right at that second.

cause #2- the recent hurricanes are *i'm pretty sure, feel free to correct me since i'm theorizing* related to a weather change caused by global warming. which is caused by... what it caused by kids? emissions! that's right. with america leading the way, and a war on to protect our right to gasoline.

we will note that this war was conducted under the guise of being retaliation for 9-11, which should never have happened anyway and was pretty much instigated by the gulf war, which was also fought for oil no matter what anybody says.

#3- the looting! yay! the looting... well, it's because we are a materialistic society. so there.

in thinking about this, i am reminded of a very eloquent rabbi i heard speaking about the nature of evil. the host asked why bad things happened to good people and gave examples of earthquakes and tornados.

the rabbi waited a moment and answered: there is a difference between evil and tragedy. -in this case, i see both.

i don't think people are evil. all i have to do is watch recue workers thread themselves between powerlines, pulling strangers out of trees and i recognize altruism.

i don't think the people suffering brought this upon themselves in any way. i just want people to keep in mind the interconnectedness of things.

BlueMoon13
September 1st, 2005, 02:32 PM
Ummmmm.....Camille? Hugo? The Hurricane of 1938?

spooky
September 1st, 2005, 02:37 PM
Ummmmm.....Camille? Hugo? The Hurricane of 1938?
oh! i know!

ShadowcatX
September 1st, 2005, 02:38 PM
here we go- why do you think new orleans is so deep under water? so deep people drowned in their attics? because when the state's decicion making people got together and decided where to build the levees, in effect deciding which counties would be saved and which counties would be flooded, money won out over praticality. people with money held the meeting, asked only two people from surrounding counties to attend, then voted. they didn't keep in mind what would happen if the levee broke, so they didn't just move the population someplace a little higher. people decided to save property at the risk of people's lives right at that second.

I don't know anything about this specifically so I won't say much, but this happens all the time. It happens when you drive an SUV, it happens when you drive anything really as any car has the potential to cause greater harm than we would if we just walked everywhere we're going. (Which of course wouldn't be practical, but we're still risking lives for the sake of money.)

cause #2- the recent hurricanes are *i'm pretty sure, feel free to correct me since i'm theorizing* related to a weather change caused by global warming. which is caused by... what it caused by kids? emissions! that's right. with america leading the way, and a war on to protect our right to gasoline.

Will do. There is no concrete proof the Earth is in a Global Warming stage. There is no proof that if we are in a warming stage, that we caused it. There is no proof if we did cause a global warming stage that this caused the Hurricane. Even if it did how are you connecting this with President Bush, he's been president for 5 years now, we've been having emissions for a lot longer than that.

we will note that this war was conducted under the guise of being retaliation for 9-11, which should never have happened anyway and was pretty much instigated by the gulf war, which was also fought for oil no matter what anybody says.

First, proove that even though Al-Qaeda hated Sadam they were willing to launch a terrorist action on his behalf. If you can't don't state it as fact. The same goes for the gulf war being fought for oil. You're free to your oppinions, but acknowledge that they are oppinions and that you could be wrong or else provide solid, concrete proof.

#3- the looting! yay! the looting... well, it's because we are a materialistic society. so there.

Of course none of the looting has to do with some of the people are trying to get medical supplies for their families because they don't want to watch their daughter die. None of it because some people are innately greedy, or even just innately greedy, it's all OUR fault, it's society's fault. :roll:

in thinking about this, i am reminded of a very eloquent rabbi i heard speaking about the nature of evil. the host asked why bad things happened to good people and gave examples of earthquakes and tornados.

the rabbi waited a moment and answered: there is a difference between evil and tragedy. -in this case, i see both.

Okay, here we agree. However in this case we also have heroism and greatness. Just as some people will take catastrophy and collapse of civilization (which to an extent is what happened and is happening) for an excuse to get everything they can, so to will some use it as a fire to test themselves and better themselves, coming through on the other side stronger, and having saved many lives.

i don't think people are evil. all i have to do is watch recue workers thread themselves between powerlines, pulling strangers out of trees and i recognize altruism.

Okay, it seems we agree on a point.

i don't think the people suffering brought this upon themselves in any way. i just want people to keep in mind the interconnectedness of things.

To an extent your right, but also keep in mind that sometimes s*** happens.

spooky
September 1st, 2005, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=ShadowcatX] You're free to your oppinions, but acknowledge that they are oppinions and that you could be wrong or else provide solid, concrete proof. [QUOTE=ShadowcatX]

me? wrong? when does that happen? :twitch:

ShadowcatX
September 1st, 2005, 02:48 PM
I didn't say you were, only that you could be.

Valnorran
September 1st, 2005, 02:58 PM
i was sitting with friends watching the aftermath of katrina, the looting and the flooding. president bush came on our screen and discussed the relief efforts. one of my friends chimed in- "you can say what you want about his politics, but what other president in recent history has had to deal with so much disaster?"

WHAT? are you Loveing kidding me? this is not just random disaster. the crisis in new orleans is related to people's actions!
The hurricane was Bush's fault? Right. Just like he was behind the tsunami.

here we go- why do you think new orleans is so deep under water? so deep people drowned in their attics?
Because 1)the city is several feet below sea level and 2) it got his by a category 5 hurricane. Put it together and what have you got? A flooded city.

The worst hurricane season since we've begun recording such things was the 1940s. The quietest was the 1970s. Hurricanes have been around long before the internal combustion engine or Republicans. New Orleans hasn't experienced a hurricane for something like 30 years. It's number was up, that was all.

ed by the gulf war, which was also fought for oil no matter what anybody says.
Well I guess that pretty much settles it.

No. It's because evil people exist in all societies, not just capitalist ones.

-in this case, i see both.

Well, if the evil doesn't reside with people, where is it? Don't you see it when people shoot at rescue helicopters?

Right. Everything is Bush's fault. Funny how the people who accuse Bush of politicizing 9/11 don't hesitate to politicize a tragic event that can't possibly have any political cause.

KaliGiri5
September 1st, 2005, 10:21 PM
I'm surprised Bush didn't issue war against all hurricanes.
I myself believe it's plain Karma..
God is liberating these people...that's all
funny the oil refineries would be taken control of by nature.
the water main broke....same $hit as iraq
they went crazy and nobody here understood it..
no food..no homes..no electricity..no running water...no jobs..just chaos
looting..fighting..women n girls being raped
God forbid such fate would fall on an American
God bless who??
:smoke:

hey it's nawlins...where's all the so called witches n priestesses...all the voodoo
they could always flash their boobs for food and water instead of plastic beads
start dancin in the flooded streets..I thought they are obsessed with death and love to glorify it.
well here ya go
:achug: :fprtyman3

semi
September 1st, 2005, 11:18 PM
Kaligiri5, that may be the most insensitive, offensive, profoundly ignorant post that I've ever read here. I'm ashamed to be a member of the same species as you.

Isil Darkmoon
September 1st, 2005, 11:33 PM
ADMIN MODE:

This is not the time for fingerpointing. This is not the time for blame. This is not the time for "well why didn't they..." or "well, they were asking for it."

This is the time for deciding what do we do NOW for fellow members of our human race, who are still in danger, still suffering, and still dying.

This thread is closed.

mol
September 2nd, 2005, 01:31 PM
Kaligiri5, that may be the most insensitive, offensive, profoundly ignorant post that I've ever read here. I'm ashamed to be a member of the same species as you.
ADMIN MODE

And here we go again. Reported posts and STILL responding.

This is going to stop.