PDA

View Full Version : Pets Forbidden on Buses

BeachWitch
September 2nd, 2005, 07:13 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9175611/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9175611/)

Pets were forbidden on the buses. On Thursday, when an officer confiscated a dog, a little boy cried out “Snowball! Snowball!” until he vomited.

National Guard officers said dogs were being taken to a stairwell in the New Orleans Center, a shopping mall near the Superdome, and given food and water. They feared some of them might have escaped, and two small dogs were seen wandering nearby streets.

You lose everything, every f***** thing in your life and you manage to save yourself and your beloved pet.... and the pet is forbidden from rescue?

This is the biggest crock of BS ever!

Old Witch
September 2nd, 2005, 07:26 PM
Pets are probably taken somewhere and killed..........Face it...no one is ever gonna see their pets again.....I'm just so bummed and negative about this whole effing situation...If you are going to be kept in a stadium or some shelter in another state for months, who the hell is gonna keep all those animals alive for that long? 5 days and they are dead............I hate people........I really hate people.

Trithemius
September 2nd, 2005, 07:32 PM
While it may seem heartless, when they're trying to get people out, they're not going to make room for Rover on the bus. It's a matter of priority. Humans come before animals.

innocent
My sister-in-law is taking in a few dogs rescued from the hurricane. She's involved in an indiana program , some sort of foster family for dogs. People are atleast trying, if not many. If an animal is wearing a tag they keep in in a nearby state. If not, they snap a digital photo and send it North. She told me they had cats, birds, dogs, as well as several more exotic pets rescued. I'm just curious how they can get animal out but not food and water in.... I guess it just shows that the community can do better than the govt.

Ruhiel
They are more concerned right now about getting the people out that need it.
Would you want your daughter, son, or mother denied space on a bus because someone took their dog? Yes, it sucks, and it hurts, but the priority right now are getting people out of corpse and feces ridden conditions, not taking the family dogs. I don't like it any more than you do, but it's what's got to be done.

Old Witch
September 2nd, 2005, 08:21 PM
Yeah, Y'all are getting what you want...they are letting all the animals die...If I remember at the beginning of this thread, they said they are putting pets in a stairwell somewhere...Right, in a dark, hot, airless stairwell...No power remember....they are gonna live about a day.
Don't think twice about it....

LightOfInsanity
September 2nd, 2005, 08:30 PM
Awwww >< People can be so cruel and heartless.. And a lot of the time, people don't really give a second thought of how anything that isn't human feels, as if they don't have souls or feelings. People need to stop this madness...

Ruhiel
September 2nd, 2005, 08:31 PM
Actually, yes, i am thinking about it.
I'm also thinking about the kids dying in their parents arms because they have no water. I'm thinking about the bodies of people piled in corners, left to rot and bloat in the heat, 5 feet away from where people are crapping on the floor. Getting the people out of those conditions is the top priority. I'm sorry if it seems heartless, but yes, I place the lives of 10,000 people above the lives of their pets.

Agaliha
September 2nd, 2005, 08:39 PM
Awwww >< People can be so cruel and heartless.. And a lot of the time, people don't really give a second thought of how anything that isn't human feels, as if they don't have souls or feelings. People need to stop this madness...

I agree.
I feel bad for all those animals and the people that have to give them up. To have lost everyting and to find your pet survived-- a pet that is like your child...and you can't do anything about it.
It would be better if there was a place or people offering to euthanize them. It would be a lot more humane then saying good bye and having them wonder alone, drinking filthy water, starving and suffering.

And, uh, don't lecture me on the human angle. I am well aware of that.
But if someone has a chuwawa (I so can't spell that) that can fit in a minute crack of space...why NOT let it go?

SilentDreams
September 2nd, 2005, 08:45 PM
This sucks, but its understandable. On buses they're going to be jam packed. School buses are being used now. They just don't have the resources to account for all those animals. Its really sad but not heartless, its just one of those things that has to be done.

Kyan's Daddy
September 2nd, 2005, 08:50 PM
The company I work for, IDEXX Laboratories, is an international animal medicine laboratory (among other things). IDEXX is donating money and testing towards the care of those animals in New Orleans that are in need of treatment or that have been abandoned.

Check us out at www.idexx.com (www.idexx.com) . I'm surprised they haven't released that on the webpage, but the fact that we're doing it is up on the company intranet.

Old Witch
September 2nd, 2005, 08:57 PM
Don't even think about it folks. We who speak for the animals are used to being ignored and laughed at and lectured to by wonderful human beings who put no value on any life other than human... We deal with it every day. We will deal with it in the area devastated by Katrina. Without your help.

Kyan's Daddy
September 2nd, 2005, 08:58 PM
Don't even think about it folks. We who speak for the animals are used to being ignored and laughed at and lectured to by wonderful human beings who put no value on any life other than human... We deal with it every day. We will deal with it in the area devastated by Katrina. Without your help.

:confused:

Agaliha
September 2nd, 2005, 09:04 PM
Kyan's Daddy-- People have said some "rude" things to those (like me) that care about the animals of Katrina.
I repect your feeling and views, repect mine and my feeling and concern about the animals.
Shanti made a thread just for those of us that care here: http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=106142 (http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=106142)

I just saw on the news a poor puppy so scared and thin and dehydrated...they have souls and feelings too. Man, I wish someone would euthanize them! Stop their confusion, pain and suffering.
Even people in Africa and India and places that have nothing and are poor take care of their animals....

SilverMaiden
September 2nd, 2005, 09:17 PM
In an emergency situation, pets will be lower on prioritiy lists. Organizations are in motion for our animal friends.

Veterinary Medical Assistance Teams (VMAT)

Veterinary Medical Assistance Teams (VMAT), established by the
American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) and funded primarily
by the American Veterinary Medical Foundation (AVMF), are working as
part of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) National
Disaster Medical System (NDMS) to care for injured animals, as well
as provide advice concerning public health issues.

As Katrina neared landfall, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
deployed two fully-staffed VMAT teams,
VMAT-3 led by Dr. James Hamilton and VMAT-5 led by Dr.
Garry Goemann, and stationed a separate disaster assessment team in
Houston, Texas with VMAT representative, Dr. Barry Kellogg, VMAT-1
Deputy Team Commander. Twenty-five VMAT members are on the ground in
Anniston, Alabama, while another 22 members are making their way from
Memphis, Tennessee to New Orleans ready to assist the local
veterinary community with animal victims as soon as it is safe to do
so.

VMAT personnel consist of veterinarians, veterinary technicians,
scientists, epidemiologists, toxicologists, pathologists, pharmacists
and other support personnel trained to assist the local veterinary
communities provide medical care to injured animals, help coordinate
animal relief efforts on site, and address public health issues.

Since 1994, VMAT teams have been deployed to both natural and manmade
disasters such as Hurricane Floyd and the September 11th tragedy, to
assist in the delivery of medical help to injured animals and to
provide public health advice. A significant amount of funding for the
Veterinary Medical Assistance Teams comes from the AVMF. Individuals
wishing to support VMAT in their disaster relief efforts may make an
online donation on AVMF's secure website, www.avmf.org (www.avmf.org) or send a
contribution to:

The American Veterinary Medical Foundation
1931 N. Meacham Road
Suite 100
Schaumburg, IL 60173

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Sharon Granskog
Phone: 847-285-6619
email: sgranskog@...

LSU Establishes 24-hour Hurricane Information Center

Beginning at noon on Wednesday, Aug. 31, LSU will operate a 24-hour
Hurricane Information Center through the LSU Office of Public
Affairs. Staff will be on hand to coordinate and assist media on
campus and take phone calls from media, concerned parents, staff,
faculty, students and members of the public concerning relief efforts
on the LSU campus in Baton Rouge.

1-225-516-6444

Animal Relief Efforts

Louisiana SPCA

The LA SPCA will coordinate all animal rescue from affected areas to
the Lamar-Dixon Expo Center in Gonzales, LA. This will be the primary
staging area.
Donations of food, kennels, etc are needed. Please donate through the
LVMA (see below).

504-329-5209
or
Lorretta Lambertson
504-329-0701

Lamar-Dixon Expo Center
Exit I-10 at Exit 177 - LA Hwy 30; Exit West (towards Tanger Mall);
Left onto St. Landry Road
9039 St. Landry Road
Gonzales, LA 70737
Phone: 225-621-1700
http://www.lamardixonexpocenter.com (http://www.lamardixonexpocenter.com)

LSU School of Veterinary Medicine

Shelter for evacuees with pets, is at the LSU John M.
Parker coliseum. The LSU SVM is coordinating efforts.
All manner of supplies are needed. Veterinary medical supplies may be
channeled for receipt to Dr. Drone.
Other donations are being channeled through the LVMA (see below).

Paula Drone, DVM
225-572-0732
(home) 225-667-0004
http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu (http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu)

Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association (LVMA)

The Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association web site has a list of
area animal shelters available. They are working in cooperation with
other animal state organizations as well as LSU SVM, VMAT, and FEMA.
LVMA has set up an emergency fund for animals, the Walter J. Ernst
Jr. Foundation.

8550 United Plaza Blvd. , Suite 1001
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Toll free: (800) 524-2996
Phone: (225) 928-5862
Fax: (225) 922-4611
E-mail: lvma@...
http://www.lvma.org (http://www.lvma.org)

American Kennel Club (AKC)

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, the American Kennel Club (AKC) is
working to make contact with delegates, presidents and secretaries of
AKC Member and Licensed Clubs in the hurricane-stricken states.
Additionally, the AKC is working with the Houston Kennel Club and the
Florida Association of Kennel Clubs (FAKC) to determine where
shelters and staging areas will be established. If your club is in
need of assistance or you know a shelter that needs help, please
contact us at ajs@... or call 212-696-8220. You may also call
Diane Albers, FAKC, at 800-597-2987.

Breed specific rescue organizations may be found at www.akc.org (www.akc.org) .

Kyan's Daddy
September 2nd, 2005, 09:19 PM
I bet they will send animals to College Station, Texas, as well... Texas A & M is there, and they have one of the largest veterinary medicine programs (I think it is actually the largest) in the country. Plus, they have a really nice animal hospital there.

I don't think blanket euthanasia is the answer, BTW. Animals are resilient, and honestly, are probably better able to survive than most humans.

MoonDust
September 2nd, 2005, 09:21 PM
my heart hurts.

SilverMaiden
September 2nd, 2005, 09:26 PM
I'm with Kyan's Daddy. The Animals were probably more aware of the Hurricane than we humans were and their instincts are much better honed than ours. We've let our's slide.

For those in surrounding areas, it would help to keep in touch with your breed, animals boards to help in transporting to foster care, contributing to foster care or taking in a foster care pet until owners can get settled again.

Agaliha
September 2nd, 2005, 09:26 PM
I don't think blanket euthanasia is the answer, BTW. Animals are resilient, and honestly, are probably better able to survive than most humans.
I was refering to the ones that are too late and too far gone. That animal rescures can't get to yet and are starving and dying right then. Sure many will survive, but way more will die. I only wish that those trapped with no hope had a humane way out.

Kyan's Daddy
September 2nd, 2005, 09:27 PM
If I wasn't in RI and didn't have 4 dogs, 2 cats, 2 goats and 2 chickens, I would be happy to foster.

Grr.

Shanti
September 2nd, 2005, 09:28 PM
If you can carry the animal and its not bother anyone, who cares if pets go on the buses. Have a heart.

Agaliha
September 2nd, 2005, 09:33 PM
I'm with Kyan's Daddy. The Animals were probably more aware of the Hurricane than we humans were and their instincts are much better honed than ours. We've let our's slide.

Animals are resilient, and honestly, are probably better able to survive than most humans.

And I disagree, they are not better able to survive. Animals rely on us. They need clean food, water and shelter. Animals can't walk for miles to a shelter, they don't even know where one is! They can't get onto a roof top (well maybe they can) or even claw though one. They can't wave flags and scream for help. They can't open a can of food. They can't open a bottle of water. They can't do a damn thing besides wait to die or get rescued. Most likely die. So, no, they aren't better able to survive. Instincts mean nothing when things are like they are in NOLA. What is a cat's instinct to do with water all around? Not swim for miles, no they get scared and hide. And in doing that they are sealing their fate. There is no way an animal can better survive out there than people with voices, legs, strength and the knowlege of what to do, where to go and what is going on.

Kyan's Daddy
September 2nd, 2005, 09:39 PM
And I disagree, they are not better able to survive. Animals rely on us. They need clean food, water and shelter. Animals can't walk for miles to a shelter, they don't even know where one is! They can't get onto a roof top (well maybe they can) or even claw though one. They can't wave flags and scream for help. They can't open a can of food. They can't open a bottle of water. They can't do a [i]damn thing besides wait to die or get rescued. Most likely die. So, no, they aren't better able to survive.

Animals will find any shelter that is suitable. Animals do not need cable TV. Animals do not need to have canned food. Nature finds a way. I guarantee you, you drop me off and one of my labradors off in the middle of the jungle with no food and no water, the dog would have about a 500% better chance of survival than I would.

Old Witch
September 2nd, 2005, 09:41 PM
I bet they will send animals to College Station, Texas, as well... Texas A & M is there, and they have one of the largest veterinary medicine programs (I think it is actually the largest) in the country. Plus, they have a really nice animal hospital there.

That last part is reminescent of the way people think who throw animals out of cars in the country...They can hunt, and can live on their own, they will be just fine........NO THEY WON"T! They will become nuscances?(sp?) and end up in the pound or shot on sight.......

Old Witch
September 2nd, 2005, 09:43 PM
Animals will find any shelter that is suitable. Animals do not need cable TV. Animals do not need to have canned food. Nature finds a way. I guarantee you, you drop me off and one of my labradors off in the middle of the jungle with no food and no water, the dog would have about a 500% better chance of survival than I would.
OMG! Please.. That is such a crock...

Shanti
September 2nd, 2005, 09:46 PM
Think about this little boy. The dog was probably the only thing in his world that kept him going for the last 5 days.
See it from the boys perspective and its heart renching.

Hows his heart? Hows his mental stabilty after ALL that happened to him?

He is a child in pain...they didnt have to do that.

SilverMaiden
September 2nd, 2005, 09:51 PM
Those animals with high prey drives will survive. They can eat rats and food that's going bad more so than humans. Animals also have a system to fight bacteria that is in filthy water that humans can not survive. Animals can also fit on smaller spaces, move on shakier grounds due to their lighter weights and ability to balance, smell water and digest plants, rodents and insects that humans can't. They can also sleep through sounds that humans can't.

Some animals will die, there is no doubt, nor does it mean that what pets can be helped shouldn't be given resources to help them survive. Women, children and men have also died and are dying.

Agaliha
September 2nd, 2005, 09:56 PM
I agree Old Witch and Shanti.

People obviously have a warped view on animals. I guess they have human legs, hands and voice boxes along with te understanding on what is going on and where they are :rollseyes:
Animals need CLEAN food and WATER. They aren't getting it. Shelter maybe, but what good is that without water and food? Oh, I guess they can eat dead bodies :rolls eyes:
And who the hell is talking about frickin' TVs?
Domestic animals do not have the same strong survival skills of wild ones. Do you really think "kitty kat" who is pampered and hates water and is fed three days a meal and have clean water there all the time is going to know what to do??
That kind of thinking is scary....and sick.
Animals rely on us. They can't survive this disaster on their own.
Watch Animal Planet's Animal cops, you'll see how helpless they are. "Oh, but they can break though the chain wrapped around their neck three times and is cutting into their flesh...but they have survival skills and can bite it off and find safe shelter and help" :rolls eyes:

Oh and that water-- it's not just "filthy" there are things in there that will cause cancer and birth defects for years. Heavy metals, chemicals, toxins, oils, crap...any and everything. There's nothing in their system --or humans-- to deal with everything in there. That's why there are poision control numbers for pets-- they can't handle it. That water is like one big poison drink. Read here: http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=106184 (http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=106184)
http://www.mysticwicks.com/showpost.php?p=2062771&postcount=38 (http://www.mysticwicks.com/showpost.php?p=2062771&postcount=38)

Also those mice and rats are eating dead animals and people and drinking and swimming in that water-- they're just as poison as the chemicals are in their body and system when the cats and dogs eat them

Shanti
September 2nd, 2005, 09:57 PM
What about this child?
This was awful, he's a child having the only security, in a torn world, ripped from his life!

He's been through hell..now stabbed in the heart.

No exceptions for this child?
We cant see this childs desperate agony over something that is a world to him?

He is a child.

People who dont sympathize with the dog...can those people feel the pain from this child? Can they see how human coldness can make a child literately sick...the boy cried till puking!!

halfwaynowhere
September 2nd, 2005, 09:58 PM
i'm keeping my mouth shut... i'm so enraged by this whole thing, i don't want to offend anybody by anything i'll say... after i read the first post though, i got so enraged, i started yelling about it, and my dad got mad at me and told me to shut up... not that it was offensive to him, just that i was so vocal... but i don't want to offend anyone here, so i won't comment...

SilverMaiden
September 2nd, 2005, 10:05 PM
BlessedFeathers, I have two cats and two dogs, that still hunt and kill, even though I have food for them. Some animals who have lost their instincts will not survive, you are correct. That again is mankind's burden. Nature does not always succomb to mankind's emotions so easily.

Rather than dog the people helping people to live (even with a heavy heart), let's get people that can help the animals, until their owners can reclaim them again or rehome them if they can't.

Agaliha
September 2nd, 2005, 10:06 PM
What about this child?
This was awful, he's a child having the only security, in a torn world, ripped from his life!
He is a child.
People who dont sympathize with the dog...can those people feel the pain from this child? Can they see how human coldness can make a child literately sick...the boy cried till puking!!

That's SO sad, Shanti.
I'm gald I didn't see it, I would probably be crying.
That poor little boy. :wah:

Agaliha
September 2nd, 2005, 10:09 PM
BlessedFeathers, I have two cats and two dogs, that still hunt and kill, even though I have food for them.

So do mine, but can they survive this? Hell no.

...I guess I sympathize and care about animals more then the general public. Oh well. It's really no use arguing about it as everyone is set in their ideas, views and ways.

Flaire-FireStar
September 2nd, 2005, 10:20 PM
*Moved to Critter Chat*

enchancea
September 3rd, 2005, 03:08 AM
Thats just horrible. But a majority of humans only care about humans. To be honest I put animals above people because people in general disgust me. I feel for these people and these babies but my heart is more with the animals. When I first saw everything on tv the first thing to pop in my mind was the animals and thats still what I am mostly thinking about now. I hope some of animal rescue organizations can save some of these animals that are being seperated from their human families.

Faery-Wings
September 3rd, 2005, 07:41 AM
Oh I can't read any more. I can't. My dog is like one of my kids. My cats, I love them very much too, but my dog.... she is my baby. I don't know how I would be able to leave her behind.

This is all too much....*walks out of thread in tears*

Kaltenia
September 3rd, 2005, 11:03 AM
I don't care how many people can or can't fit on a bus. This dog was being HELD and wasn't taking up any room! And the little boy! This makes me so f*$^#@ sick! My heart goes out to him AND his dog! Life is life, and be it human or no, the boy was terrified as was Snowball, I'm sure. That dog was his life line and was ripped away from him! He's a CHILD whose seen and heard things no child should have to see. And his last comfort was taken away just like that! Where the hell is the human sense of compassion? Would it have really killed these people to let him keep his friend? After all he's been through already? These people make me want to vomit too.

The city of New Orleans has known for YEARS this could happen one day. They had PLENTY of time to prepare for something like this, and PLENTY of time to organize a plan to get those without transportaion out of the city in case something like this did happen. There is no excuse for these people to still be there, nor is there an excuse for taking away all these animals! And if there IS no room and all the animals CAN'T go with, then in the event of something like this happening, there should have been a damn plan to have the animals taken somewhere safe so owners wouldn't have to worry about them and could get them when they got re-settled.

People are losing their families left and right and someone is just going to take away a little boy's only comfort because it's oh so hard to just hold the dog? F@#$ that.

aluokaloo
September 3rd, 2005, 11:58 AM
I agree.
I feel bad for all those animals and the people that have to give them up. To have lost everyting and to find your pet survived-- a pet that is like your child...and you can't do anything about it.
It would be better if there was a place or people offering to euthanize them. It would be a lot more humane then saying good bye and having them wonder alone, drinking filthy water, starving and suffering.

And, uh, don't lecture me on the human angle. I am well aware of that.
But if someone has a chuwawa (I so can't spell that) that can fit in a minute crack of space...why NOT let it go?

I totally agree, that is sad, and for many people, those pets are all they have, and to take away a child's dog is just wrong. Stupid heartless people. Animals have feelings too, and they are neither above us nor below us. :bastard:

BeachWitch
September 3rd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Let's put this back into perspective, since the forum *is* Mystic Wicks, a *People* Community.

To us, these are not just pets, these are our familiars. These animals are our guardians, our protectors, our best friends, our loyal soul mates.

There will never be another Archie Goodwin. Ever. There will never be another dog in my life who actually knows the difference, and displays the knowledge, of deosil and widdershins. There will never be another dog in my life who instinctively takes a place in the South because he knows, and displays the knoweldge, that we are both fire signs.

So, I'm sure I'm going to get shit for saying this but if it were me, I would take my dog and take my chances. I would not under any circumstances leave my dog behind. The rescuers would have to shoot me to separate me from Archie.

We would just take our chances in the city together. somehow, Goddess willing, we would survive.

I will never leave Archie behind. Ever.

Agaliha
September 3rd, 2005, 03:02 PM
Wow, I'm so glad there are others that feel the same as me about the animals. I started to wonder after all the crazy things people were saying about the ability of animals and this situation.

Animals have feelings too, and they are neither above us nor below us. -- well put Aluokaloo83.

Starry Di
September 3rd, 2005, 07:16 PM
I agree, but I totally get what BlessedFeathers is saying. She's saying that there's all this water. A cat can't survive, and a dog would have to swim for miles. Dogs are more domesticated than cats. I don't think a Golden Retriver would be able to survive. A Labador can survive, because it's a hunting dog, and it's still often trained as such (as best to my knowledge at least), either that, or it was trained enough in the past, that its instincts are finely honed.

Golden Retrivers instincts are to be with their family, and be loyal and friendly. The only way they're going to survive is if some kind person feeds them. And with the whole lack of food thing and the violence thing, I'm afraid that dogs like Golden Retrivers will get more violence done to them, which is stomach turning to think about.

Starry Di
September 3rd, 2005, 07:20 PM
Do you really think "kitty kat" who is pampered and hates water and is fed three days a meal and have clean water there all the time is going to know what to do??

In normal circumstances, yes a cat can fend for itself, so long as it's not declawed (and in some cases even when it's declawed), just as an FYI. And some cats aren't advertant towards water. My aunt has sprayed her cat in effort to teach it not to do something, and that cat just sits and stares at her without a care in the world. Course...this is all in *normal* circumstances. I just want you to know :$

Starry Di
September 3rd, 2005, 07:20 PM
What about this child?

He is a child.

Not to mention, if the dog dies or if something happens to the dog, for the rest of his life, the child will blame himself.

Agaliha
September 3rd, 2005, 07:39 PM
In normal circumstances, yes a cat can fend for itself, so long as it's not declawed (and in some cases even when it's declawed), just as an FYI. And some cats aren't advertant towards water. My aunt has sprayed her cat in effort to teach it not to do something, and that cat just sits and stares at her without a care in the world. Course...this is all in *normal* circumstances. I just want you to know :$

Yes, I know that in normal circumtances a cat will most likely survive-- all of our cats (about 10 thoughout my life) except for two have been saved from the streets and abuse that we have seen first hand. They survived, and I know others can
But like I keep saying NOLA is not a normal circumstance.

Not to mention, if the dog dies or if something happens to the dog, for the rest of his life, the child will blame himself.

True. If he ever does find out what happened. More likely it'll be something that haunts him always...what if, what happened. :(

Wolf's Rain
September 3rd, 2005, 08:11 PM
While it may seem heartless, when they're trying to get people out, they're not going to make room for Rover on the bus. It's a matter of priority. Humans come before animals.

Sorry for sounding the Heartless bytch myself, but I dissagree with that statement whole heartedly. Animals were on this planet long befor humans. They have just as much right to live and escape as we do. If not More so. If I were down there now. I'd be saving pets, any that I could find no matter what they were. Even horses and such.

Agaliha
September 3rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
Sorry for sounding the Heartless bytch myself, but I dissagree with that statement whole heartedly. Animals were on this planet long befor humans. They have just as much right to live and escape as we do. If not More so. If I were down there now. I'd be saving pets, any that I could find no matter what they were. Even horses and such.

_handclapp
You're not heartless at all.
And I totally agree, btw.

enchancea
September 4th, 2005, 01:04 AM
I agree also. I know my dog would never be able to live through something like this if I were to ever leave her. She is very pampered and spoiled. She wont even eat steak unless its cut up and hand fed to her. Some animals might be able to but there are some who wouldnt be able to survive. I really feel for these people because I know I could not leave without any of my babies and that includes all 9 of my rats. I would stay and try to stick it out because I am not going to leave my animals to die.

Faery-Wings
September 4th, 2005, 07:11 AM
I have been thinking about this a lot.

T I think that my cats might be be able to survive better than my dog. I agree with so many of the people above.
My cats are all strays and rescues. They doo play a lot at "hunting." And yeah, even inside our house thay find and kill (occasionally eat ) mice and a snake or two. Even though they are inside cats, they have escaped for a few hours to overnight, and they do ok. I think that their insticts are to fend for themselves. As much as I think they love my family, if it came down to us or them, I think they would be on thier own.

My dog onthe other hand. Gods, I hate to think of what would happen to her. She would not be able to fend for herself. She won't even drink from a puddle of water or a stream when we are out hiking.

This situation is bothering me so deeply. I figured out a way to help. I make all natural dog care products. I am going to donate a portion of any sales to one of the animal rescue societies involved.

If there is a particular society that helps the best, please let me know, especially if you have any other ideas for me to do.

Kaltenia
September 4th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Let's put this back into perspective, since the forum *is* Mystic Wicks, a *People* Community.

To us, these are not just pets, these are our familiars. These animals are our guardians, our protectors, our best friends, our loyal soul mates.

_pounce_ _twohorns_

enchancea
September 4th, 2005, 08:53 PM
It is very bothersome but it was nice to see CNN mentioning the animals and even advertising places to donate for the animals across the screen. They were talking about the animals and went to a picture of a large white dog up in a tree, it was so sad. They said everytime anyone tries to rescue some of these dogs that the dogs get scared and growl and stuff. I really havent seen anything about cats though which is also really sad.

Wolf's Rain
September 5th, 2005, 01:18 PM
All or none!

My animals, no matter how small, are my children! Either we all go together, or we all stay behind. And I will not here otherwise from anyone who would try to change my mind. I may be a stuborn B****, but thats just the wolf spirit I am. My pack stays togeth!

Who is making the AOK stickies? Id like one myself.

Catiana
September 5th, 2005, 09:15 PM

Well said, I agree completely

I'll take the company of an animal over that of a human anytime, humans in general digust me. I would never leave any of my three kitties behind (one being my familiar) and gods help anyone who tried to take them. The mother of the child should have slapped that guard and taken the puppy back, to treat an animal like that and willfully bring emotional distraught to the child is unforgivable.

On an up note, they have brought three planes full of evacuees to my state, including their pets and the pets are being taken care of as well as the people .

dragoncrone
September 6th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Would you want your daughter, son, denied space on a bus ...would be one of the ones who would volunteer to hold the dog on his lap!!! You can't tell me that a dog is gonna take up that much room.
It was Ghandi who said you can judge a culture by the way they treat their animals. He was right.

Wolf's Rain
September 6th, 2005, 11:12 PM
...would be one of the ones who would volunteer to hold the dog on his lap!!! You can't tell me that a dog is gonna take up that much room.
It was Ghandi who said you can judge a culture by the way they treat their animals. He was right.

:hugz: :woot: _handclapp_handclapp_handclapp :uhhuhuh:

BeachWitch
September 7th, 2005, 01:41 AM
On MSNBC this morning there was an article about that boy and Snowball. There is a nationwide hunt for both dog and boy. The Reward is up to $17oo (around 9:30am pst).

Interesting what people focus on. At least someone cares.

And yes, the report also said most of the animals kept in the stairwell did not make it.

WynterWynd
September 7th, 2005, 05:03 AM
Just the idea that some think because a cat is a preditory animal in the first place, that they would 'do better than a dog' is just nuts!
I have 8 cats. One that goes outside and does his 'cat things' (catches birds, mice etc.) I've even got one that thinks its 'fun' to stand in the shower with me. Not in the water, not getting sprayed, but he's there.
None of my cats are declawed, I've kept them that way just in case they ever got out. 5 of them freak the hell out to even be taken outside.
The whole lot of them have 'mommy(me) withdrawls' when I go into town for the day.
The are 'house cats'! They are pampered, prissy,where's my pillow, spoiled, where's my can of Friskies little primadonnas! They are my fur babies.

I don't see why the buses are making these people leave their pets behind. If the hellicopter rescue and the boat rescue had no proplem taking them and fido or kitty, there should be any problem taking them on a bus either.

The pictures on the news of these poor dogs on rooftops, fences, and trees is just heartbreaking and sends me into tears. And really the only thing I can say to the photographers is...put down your g*d damn camera and rescue that poor animal! Stop worrying about a pulitzer prize you *&#$%! The same goes for the buttheads that went by the people too, just taking pictures.

I'm sorry, I'm ranting. But this is all just maddening and heartbreaking.

I do know, when it comes down to it, I would be one of those stubborn people refusing to leave unless all my furrbabies came too!

I hope that little boy and Snowball find eachother again...that is so sad.