PDA

View Full Version : Just found out, one of my nieces may be down there...

Yasmine Galenorn
September 3rd, 2005, 06:29 PM
...apparently she lived in Gretna, right across the river from the Garden District of N.O. I don't have contact with her mother--she's a Bible-thumping bigot (and I am not kidding), but I am worried about my niece, so my other sister--who I do dearly love and get along with--is going to see what she can find out. I'm hoping for Krissie's sake she's okay...she has a husband and young child, and from what I saw in my Google searches, Gretna was hit pretty hard by the hurricane, too.

Sigh.
Yasmine :colorful:

PaganLibrarian
September 3rd, 2005, 07:13 PM
I hope that she is alright. I will light a candle for her.

atropa
September 3rd, 2005, 08:00 PM
I have family in Metarie and Long Beach, MI that I haven't heard from. I hope both our families are ok.

Yasmine Galenorn
September 3rd, 2005, 08:15 PM
I have family in Metarie and Long Beach, MI that I haven't heard from. I hope both our families are ok.

I hope so too--I hope you're able to hear soon. It sucks, it's been so long since I've heard much about my niece other than what she's doing and that she got married and had a child (she was brought up strong religious right that doesn't accept other views, so I've kept away out of the desire to keep peace--for myself as much as her and her mother) that I didn't get her last name when she got married. My sister Wanda can't call our other sister till tomorrow because Wanda works swing shift and is a nurse, so she has no free time whatsoever at work and won't even get my message until after she gets home. She didn't know Gretna was so close to N.O. either. Our other sister lives in WV, so she's safe from the damage, but she wouldn't think to call either of us to let us know if something has happened.

Spera
September 3rd, 2005, 08:24 PM
*Prays for everyone*

Lewen
September 4th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I heard Gretna is doing better then most, and I've not heard from my ex-husband who's a Deputy Sheriff there, but my ex-mil did and so far all of our family is accounted for.

if you go to www.nola.com (www.nola.com) and click on Jefferson parish in the forums area, you can find out about Gretna, Westwego and other surrounding towns. I've been watching the forums under the St. Tammany Parish one, because that's where I used to live and have many friends there.

Hope that helps and post and let us know what you find out. Sending thoughts and prayers for good news.

Yasmine Galenorn
September 4th, 2005, 02:42 PM
News is sketchy right now, and it sounds like one of her husband’s relatives is missing, but they escaped without too much of a problem…they haven’t got any money right now—they were tapped out because of the storm and the aftermath, but thank the gods, they’re okay.

Penthesilea
September 4th, 2005, 11:40 PM
News is sketchy right now, and it sounds like one of her husband’s relatives is missing, but they escaped without too much of a problem…they haven’t got any money right now—they were tapped out because of the storm and the aftermath, but thank the gods, they’re okay.

Thank the Gods!

Flar's Freyja
September 5th, 2005, 01:55 AM

I'm glad to hear that. A cousin I lost touch with years ago had a restaurant there as long ago but I don't know if he even still owned it. He was only living there some of the time. I've checked the lists and haven't seen his name.

He was a football player and played for the NY Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers in the 60's and early 70's. The restaurant was called The Huddle.