PDA

View Full Version : Clothing, Water, Diapers Needed ASAP

Xander67
September 3rd, 2005, 08:29 PM
Contact your local Salvation army and FEMA org...

The red Cross is only taking Cash, but there are other agencies that Have trucks and are accepting cases of bottled water, and other esssentials...

when you donate, Be sure you specify that the items are to be given out and not resold...
(some agencies have been known to sell the supplies after the sense of urgency dies down so it is important to ask and make sure )

atropa
September 3rd, 2005, 09:20 PM
It's nice to know that those of us without cash to spare can do something too. I helped out for about 5 hours at my Dad's church today giving out clothes to people from shelters. Tomorrow I will help with hosting a luncheon for refugees in our area and they have somehow procured a transfer truck full of toiletries, diapers, etc. I was able to clothe 2 young girls from Gulfport. It was the oldest's 12th birthday today. Made me feel like I was doing something anyway.

Lunacie
September 4th, 2005, 08:37 PM
I've been checking the 'net versions of our local news stations and newspaper. Here's a partial list of what's being done to help in our area (check your own local newspapers and tv web sites for ways to help).

On Friday, a van-full of boys arrived at Salinas St.FrancisAcademy (military boys school). They came from a Mississippi group home that was washed away by the hurricane.

On Saturday, around a dozen developmentally disabled adults from Mississippi arrived in Halstead. Residents helped Valley Hope (a non-profit chemical dependency treatment center) prepare a former motel to house the victims. The mini- apartments were fully stocked,courtesy of the city of Halstead.

The Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services opened 44 service centers around the state, including one in Wichita, to help refugees who make it to Kansas.

Area hospitals are ready to receive the sick and wounded, they have staff on stand-by, and some have counselors ready to help as well.

Girl Scout Troop 329 is collecting diapers and baby wipes

Girl Scout Troop 679 of Newton is collecting diapers, formula, soap, shampoo and other sanitary items

Flashbacks nightclub, 252 N. Mosley. Discounted cover to people who bring donated items for the relief effort. Weekday donations accepted 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Club owners want to fill a semi-truck with items.

About a dozen area children ages 7 to 11 will operate a Kool-Aid stand from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday. Kool-Aid will be sold for donations. will donate all of the proceeds to the American Red Cross.

Derby officials have adopted Slidell, La., a New Orleans suburb that was one of the communities hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina. Checks should be made to the Slidell Relief Fund. Only monetary donations are being accepted at this time. Officials anticipate clothing and other items will be needed after solid communication has been established with Slidell city officials. An estimated 85 percent of homes and businesses were damaged or demolished by the hurricane, according to Derby.

All Wichita Fantastic Sams salons will be holding a "Cut-A-Thon" Saturday to raise money for relief efforts. One dollar from every service provided will be donated to relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina.

Lone Star Steakhouse and Saloon Inc., which operates more than 308 restaurants primarily in the United States, will donate 100 percent of its sales on Labor Day to the American Red Cross.

BenedictineCollege in Atchinson, will be giving free tuition for the fall semester for any student currently enrolled at private colleges in the area that was affected by Hurricane Katrina. The school will welcome as many students as the space allows.

Xander67
September 5th, 2005, 08:48 PM
bump

also, you can volunteer in one of the shelters if you feel led....

Mississippi has 200 million dollars in the coffers that they plan on paying people to come help clean up.. there is plenty of work to be done in Mississippi. The state will pay people who chose to help clean up.

Xander67
September 6th, 2005, 11:38 AM
bump

Jenne
September 6th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Derby officials have adopted Slidell, La., a New Orleans suburb that was one of the communities hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina. Checks should be made to the Slidell Relief Fund. Only monetary donations are being accepted at this time. Officials anticipate clothing and other items will be needed after solid communication has been established with Slidell city officials. An estimated 85 percent of homes and businesses were damaged or demolished by the hurricane, according to Derby.

Oh gods...that's where I stayed out there for a week in June...those poor folks. I think I'll be sending something there soon...