PDA

View Full Version : Burn the Bridges to the Big Easy and let them rot

Tink
September 4th, 2005, 01:44 PM
I lost my apartment and everything I owned down there. My friend found my neighbor two days later when she went to go try and salvage anything. Nothing can be salvaged. If you go to my album you can see a pic of me where my apartments use to be. I just found out that There are still people in MS stranded on their roofs of their homes with no food or water because all aid is going to New Orleans when what happend down there is their fault. They chose not to fix the levee's with the money they had. Yes New Orleans is a free for all but it always has been. The cops use to have an undercover drug ring and they were killing people who found out about it. It is more sanitary to use to bathroom in a parking lot there than to go find a place in the french corder and go. Plus I just got word that my landlord Sandi, died. I loved New Orleans but I could never live there. The stuff the people are loot is pointless. I'm sure that more than half of it is damaged and will not work.

GalenaFaolan
September 4th, 2005, 04:00 PM
:hugz: I am so sorry! There aren't enough words to express my thoughts, but I'm very happy you're safe and ok. Sorry to hear about your landlord though. There have been too many deaths in the wake of this, but our fears it will go higher I'm sure will be realized.
To me, I see now that they were senseless deaths. According to what I'm seeing and hearing, it could've been helped, the levees that is. I'm not sure what to think about rebuilding NO, but it should be looked at long and hard first. The first priority being those levees.

paygun
September 4th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Damn that's horrible. I like to think I'm not a materialistic person but I imagine that would go right out the window if I lost everything.

Remember that you still have your past and all the good memories are still with you. You still have your future since you survived. There's never going to be another you so didn't lose the most important thing you have.

Take care and I hope you can get back to a normal life soon.

Teresa
September 4th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Dressing a candle for You ! I am sorry you have lost much! :hugz: I had some friends in St Benard's Parish that lost everything too .You haven't seen anything about them on the TV at all and there are many still there trapped on their roof tops as well.This was a vast disaster of nature which hurt so many people much more than just New Orleans.

materra
September 4th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Tink are you being "evacuated"? Are you in a safe place, with family or friends? Is there anything we can do to help now? Later? If you go to any of the major shelters in Texas or Arizona some of us in the immediate area may be more able to help than some; if only with comfort and information. I think with all the "Christian resources" we "pagans" may need to help our own so to speak. So speak up (not that you don't exactly) tell us whats the best way to help you recover from this. Warm hugs.

Tink
September 4th, 2005, 09:26 PM
My friends took me to Atlanta on Thursday and I flew home. It wasn't safe to stay. I am more fortunate then others. One of my friends called me today to tell me her neighbor was jacked for his car and generator from a guy who came up from New Orleans. The guy just shot him in the head and kicked him out of the truck and drove off...
I'm still waiting to hear if my job is still there and my best friend has told me that I will be living with them.

Willow Rosette
September 4th, 2005, 09:36 PM
All I can sat is :huddle:

DocBruce
September 5th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Tink are you being "evacuated"? Are you in a safe place, with family or friends? Is there anything we can do to help now? Later? If you go to any of the major shelters in Texas or Arizona some of us in the immediate area may be more able to help than some; if only with comfort and information. I think with all the "Christian resources" we "pagans" may need to help our own so to speak. So speak up (not that you don't exactly) tell us whats the best what to help you recover from this. Warm hugs.
Yeah, she's safe.
In fact, she just left our house to go back to her parent's.

Flar's Freyja
September 5th, 2005, 01:52 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that but glad you survived.

I'm still hanging on to the belief that the good in people will prevail :hugz:

BlueMoon13
September 5th, 2005, 02:39 AM
Aw, Tink :sadeyes: :rubhead:

LadyCelt
September 5th, 2005, 04:19 AM
Did Mississippi get it worse than Louisiana?

I feel aid should go to New Orleans, but where you are from as well. I don't get why the media seems to only focus on there.

Tink
September 5th, 2005, 08:01 PM
The Hurricane made landfall in MS. New Orleans was on the "good" side of the hurricane meaning they were on the side with no tornado's. MS was on the side with all the tornados. Pus the 30 ft storm surge.
They focus on NO so much because of the french corrider there and the fact that most of the population is homeless. Plus its' a BIG tourist attraction there not to mention the levee's issue.

There is a pic of the barge that hit my apartment in the albums. The houses you see there, were not there prior to the hurricane.

Xander67
September 5th, 2005, 08:30 PM
In terms of actual storm damage, practically the enitre state of Mississippi was affected...

the entire gulf coastal area from the New Oreleans area eastward to Mobile alabama is devastated...
about 90,000 square miles of America, a piece of land about the size of Great Britan was affected...

New Orleans has been getting most of the media attention because of the huge number of people affected.... there are an estimated thousand plus bodies that now need to be identified... there are bodies floating in water, piles of dead bodies in the SuperDome and in the convention center...

and there are still people in thier homes that need rescuing... they wont be able to go house to house and look for bodies untill after the water is gone...

But New Orleans is not the only place where people are hurting, Entire Towns in Mississippi have been rendered uninhabitalble for the imediate future... pretty much the entire beach front is destroyed.... along the mississippi gulf coast.... there is a story that is yet to be told in mississippi that will unfold once the flood waters there begin to recede...

you can now see for yourself which areas are still flooded in Mississippi, and look at the damage for yourself by using a free satelite viewing program called Google Earth.... it is heartbreaking....

Storm Moon
September 5th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Tink I'm sorry for your loss and my thoughts are with you :hugz:

Haerfest Leah
September 6th, 2005, 08:57 AM
I'm glad you got out. And as for what Xander67 posted about the coastline. My mom told me that before the hurricane that this storm was supposed to change the coastline forever.

annakairi
September 6th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Tink, I am so sorry for all that you have went through and I'm so happy that you escaped with your life. I think that the media focuses so much on New Orleans because of the sheer number of people affected, and the fact that those people were the least prepared people imaginable to have a disaster like this occur.
It's a bit like a train wreck. Everyone is horrified that the tragedy that occurred in New Orlean's did not have to happen. The question of Why? keeps people riveted and despite the gruesome nature of it and despite the fact that there are people suffering elsewhere they can not bring themselves to look away. The situation in New Orleans is about much more than a disaster and tragedy. The disaster there pulled out america's dirty laundry for the entire world to see. They had time to get everyone out, they knew Katrina was forecast to smack straight into them and what did authorities do? Told everyone that could go to leave and then treated those that could not with a laissez faire attitude of "well the poor and homeless will find some way to make it through"....apparantly they weren't worth the trouble of mobilizing all of the city buses. This injustice in addition to the disaster naturally makes people want to help New Orleans...unfortunately at the expense of the other affected areas.
You and your family and friends were the victims of a terrible natural disaster which is something that as horrifying as it is many can accept it since that is the nature of the earth. But what happenned in New Orleans was not just a natural disaster but a humanitarian one. And it is and will continue to highlight the stark economic differences between the members of our society, and our society's blatant disregard for the poor and helpless.
I hope that help, and lots of it, arrives in Mississippi soon and that you are able to rebuild your life. And I also hope that the media will focus on areas like yours that are also in desperate need of help. You'll be in my prayers.