PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild New Orleans?

Summer_Lilacs
September 4th, 2005, 02:00 PM
What is the good and bad part to either way? Let's have ourselves something like a debate here. I'm 50-50 for it. My ideas stand:

Yes, rebuild
Good- More homes, vacation, history, mardi gras, economics
Bad- Hard to build there now, risk of another hurricaine, cost, devestation of natural environment

No, do not rebuild
Good- More room for nature, one less populated area, don't spend the money to rebuild, no one living there means another hurricaine would not harm residents
Bad- No homes for people, higher population density (less room for people to move to), less economy, no mardi gras

Personally I think it should be somewhat rebuilt, though not to the extent it was. Seeing how N.O. is below sea level, it may take a long time for the water go down anyways, so the terrain could be rather unpredictable. I think it would suffice to build near it on higher grounds, so we can still have some of what we used to, without taking away nature's (unfortunately so fatal) oportunity to reestablish itself in the area. And if nature was to reestablish there, maybe we could turn that into a national park. Maybe the terrain will now be marshlands, like florida's everglades.

What do you guys think?

And by the way, had anyone thought that perhaps the hurricaine went so unusually far and hard because of the tsunami's effect on the earth? They DO say it tilted the earth more, etc...

Anyways, Rebuild, or No?

MercysFallen
September 4th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I think at least the French Quarter and St. Charles St. Should remain. It always suffers the lest if not any damage because it sits on higher ground. It is the oldest and most historic part of the city. I would hate to see it not there.

Ren

pawnman
September 4th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Rebuild, but inland. Don't put buildings right against the water, and don't build in the basin between Lake Ponchatrain and the Mississippi river.

atropa
September 4th, 2005, 05:01 PM
I think at least the French Quarter and St. Charles St. Should remain. It always suffers the lest if not any damage because it sits on higher ground. It is the oldest and most historic part of the city. I would hate to see it not there.

Ren

Yeah, I feel the same way. I've spent many an hour there and had some of the best times of my life.