PDA

View Full Version : Anne Rice on Katrina & New Orleans

WitchOfEndor
September 4th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Ok, now just posting this, not necessarily my opinion so no flaming me please. But to Anne Rice, you have my respect :fpraiseyo

Do You Know What It Means to Lose New Orleans?
By ANNE RICE
La Jolla, Calif.

WHAT do people really know about New Orleans?

Do they take away with them an awareness that it has always been not only a great white metropolis but also a great black city, a city where African-Americans have come together again and again to form the strongest African-American culture in the land?

The first literary magazine ever published in Louisiana was the work of black men, French-speaking poets and writers who brought together their work in three issues of a little book called L'Album Littéraire. That was in the 1840's, and by that time the city had a prosperous class of free black artisans, sculptors, businessmen, property owners, skilled laborers in all fields. Thousands of slaves lived on their own in the city, too, making a living at various jobs, and sending home a few dollars to their owners in the country at the end of the month.

[clipped for fair use violation]

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/04/opinion/04rice.html?ei=5090&en=ce2f33f8719dba9c&ex=1283486400&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=print (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/04/opinion/04rice.html?ei=5090&en=ce2f33f8719dba9c&ex=1283486400&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=print)

Isil Darkmoon
September 4th, 2005, 11:27 PM
ADMIN MODE:

please review MW's FAIR USE (http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=12340) policy.

Danustouch
September 4th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Beautiful Letter, and alot of wonderful explanations, and eye opening facts, and personal insight that she has provided. I certainly understand why many wouldn't, or COULDNT leave. My only issue is with the looting. It didnt' take long, for the looting to start. I totally understand their feeling that government has failed them. And I agree. However, looting started mere hours after the storm cleared, barely a chance was given FOR Help to come, before the looting started. And I understand the looting of grocery stores, and pharmacies. But not of electrical appliences, fashionable clothes, fishing rods, toys, and music.

I don't find that sort of looting excusable. I can understand that these people have been reduced to a level of primal fear. But looting of items such as I listed above, isn't out of primal fear. I clearly as day saw one man quoted (on the news) when asked why he was stealing such items as saying "Well...that's what they get. We've been oppressed for SO long. This is what happens when you oppress people". And yet, Anne Rice made it clear, that the black population in New Orleans, found acceptance, understanding, and beyond that, even had the largest role in FOUNDING the culture of New Orleans. Were there many poor? Yes. But were they "oppressed", I don't know. I still can't see a clear and cut reason for that sort of looting. For the rapes, and the murders, and the shooting of helicopters on their way to help.

WitchOfEndor
September 5th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Ooppss, sorry about the fair use violation. I did'nt mean to be bad :lilangel: :toofless:

blithespirit
September 5th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Thank you for posting this wonderful article. She's been on my mind a lot this week, since through her writings I came to have a great respect and love for New Orleans, and I was curious as to what her feelings might be.

Isil Darkmoon
September 5th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Ooppss, sorry about the fair use violation. I did'nt mean to be bad :lilangel: :toofless:

No harm, no foul--people sometimes forget about fair use online a lot more than they would for a paper or report in the "real" world. Just keep the guidelines in mind when you post in the future and we're cool :)

RowanMegaera
September 5th, 2005, 08:21 PM
I fell in love with New Orleans more than a decade before I ever saw it in person thanks to Anne Rice. Her beautiful descriptions led me to research the city myself and love it as my own. I was lucky enough to live within driving distance for several years and the first time I visited I did so without a map or tour guide because it felt like coming home. From then on, as long as I was within half a day's drive I visited at least twice per month. It got to the point that whenever I was having a bad day or week my husband would say to me, "Just go on, you know you want to, and you'll feel better when you get there." He never understood my love for the place but his heart broke for me when he saw the devastation firsthand.

Pagan Mantis
September 5th, 2005, 08:30 PM
I feel bad for Anne. First her husband, now NO! That poor lady! She's such a talented writer.

Willow Rosette
September 5th, 2005, 08:48 PM
I agree with Danustouch. It is a wonderfull letter. It truly brings to life and shows to those of us that have never been there exactly what has been lost. We see only things like mardi gras on tv and nothing of the history and life of what actually makes the city.

I think there is a difference in looting to feed and clothe loved ones and just for the fun of it. I hope in her statement she is refering to the ones that are taking care of their families and not the others.

Either way I think her goal was to share a personal look at what makes that city so vibrant. I too had been wondering what her take on it all was and it was nice to hear from her.

WitchOfEndor
September 5th, 2005, 09:12 PM
I've never been to New Orleans but fell in love with the descriptions from all of Anne Rice's books. I especially wanted to see the Garden District & just take in the vibe of the city. The first ancestor of mine to come to American was a french woman who entered New Orleans when that area of the country still belonged to France. If I had gotten the chance, I know I'd see Lestat & the Mayfairs everywhere I looked, especially the Garden District. I don't know if I'll ever be able to completely enjoy re-reading the old Anne Rice books again but the sad thing is, I'd not be surprised if Anne never sets another story in New Orleans. Too painful, I'm sure.

Childof_theMorrigan
September 6th, 2005, 02:34 AM
I'm so glad i'm not the only one thinking about this... I too fell in love with NO through Anne Rice's novels.. and so my husband and I went there for our honeymoon... nothing could describe the sensation that I felt.

I'm at a total loss over this whole thing.

I don't want to downplay anything or anyone that the hurricane has affected... but I feel very connected to the city itself and am horrified and anguished at what has happened. They say New York City has it's own heartbeat, which I agree with after having visited... but New Orleans... thats the home of my heart.

Philosophia
September 6th, 2005, 08:08 AM
I love Anne Rice's novels and her vivid desriptions of NO. I sometimes felt I was actually there, living alongside the caberat lifestyle that I had come to love.
Thank you Anne, for bringing the vibrancy of NO to life! :hugz:

Haerfest Leah
September 6th, 2005, 09:11 AM
I like Ann Rice also but why did she move then after her husband died? We were going to go see her house in the Garden District when we were there in July but never made it over there. What made her move to La Jolla of all places? Have you ever seen La Jolla, my gods those homes there. If she loved New Orleans that much why go to La Jolla. Unless she got tired of the filth because La Jolla is the far extreme opposite, snootyville of the San Diego area. My husband and I drive around La Jolla and go to the beach there every time we go to San Diego to visit his family.

Childof_theMorrigan
September 6th, 2005, 01:41 PM
i think i read on her website that it was too painful or something for her to live there after her husband died...

Haerfest Leah
September 6th, 2005, 02:40 PM
i think i read on her website that it was too painful or something for her to live there after her husband died...

Ah I kinda figured that was why, she sure chose a comfy spot.

HeavensHope
September 6th, 2005, 03:09 PM
I completely forgot Anne Rice is from New Orleans, man I cant believe N.O is not there anymore. Just a couple of a weeks ago I told my bf I wanted to go there for Halloween or Mardi Gras, since I've been alive I havent done any of the 'normal' stuff college students do. So, what better place to start then New Orleans right? Guess...that wont be happening anytime soon.

Jenne
September 6th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I've seen a few people miffed at her attitude towards the rest of the US, esp in light of the amount of grassroots aid and volunteerism I've seen and witnessed over the past weekend for the sake of Katrina survivors.

That being said, I think as an insider she has a right to her feelings. And I too share an affinity for that great city, in large part due to her descriptions and contributions in the literary field, and I HAD to go there this past June for my 10th anniversary because of it. Sigh. And now I know why I felt that urgency.

MsFireHaven
September 6th, 2005, 09:01 PM
I did not know she had her own website, can someone post a link....

RowanMegaera
September 6th, 2005, 10:47 PM
I did not know she had her own website, can someone post a link....

www.annerice.com (www.annerice.com)

It's actually maintained by some members of her family and personal staff, but it's her official site.

Devi
September 7th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Beautiful Letter, and alot of wonderful explanations, and eye opening facts, and personal insight that she has provided. I certainly understand why many wouldn't, or COULDNT leave. My only issue is with the looting. It didnt' take long, for the looting to start. I totally understand their feeling that government has failed them. And I agree. However, looting started mere hours after the storm cleared, barely a chance was given FOR Help to come, before the looting started. And I understand the looting of grocery stores, and pharmacies. But not of electrical appliences, fashionable clothes, fishing rods, toys, and music.

I don't find that sort of looting excusable. I can understand that these people have been reduced to a level of primal fear. But looting of items such as I listed above, isn't out of primal fear. I clearly as day saw one man quoted (on the news) when asked why he was stealing such items as saying "Well...that's what they get. We've been oppressed for SO long. This is what happens when you oppress people". And yet, Anne Rice made it clear, that the black population in New Orleans, found acceptance, understanding, and beyond that, even had the largest role in FOUNDING the culture of New Orleans. Were there many poor? Yes. But were they "oppressed", I don't know. I still can't see a clear and cut reason for that sort of looting. For the rapes, and the murders, and the shooting of helicopters on their way to help.

I agree that the people who took water and survival supplies should not be considered looters they are survivors.
The people looting televisions and jewelry were just trying to take advantage of the situation. They don't represent a people nor does the one man you heard speaking of oppression as an excuse for his looting. These are individual people with individual morals. I hate the focus on the small numbers of people looting non survival items compared to the thousands of people who suffered and are still suffering. I keep hearing things like yes its a shame ........but why were they looting and I'm like.... who are they?? The looters? Cause they are morons........moving on

The rapes and murders are horrible but doesn't this go on in any big city? If the hurricane didn't happen there would of been cases of rapes and murder anyway......these people committing these acts are criminals...... every state and town has them...... until they are caught and their crimes brought to light they live amongst the people but are not a representation of them.
:flowers: