PDA

View Full Version : Question about people "adopting" katrina survivors

Agaliha
September 5th, 2005, 04:03 AM
My mom brought this up last night and it made me wonder especially since on the news there are stories of families all over (even in my state of WA) "adopting" people and families.
Since these people don't really have any IDs or way to prove who they are...how do people know they don't have a sex offender in their house with their kids? Or a serious criminal for that matter?
I mean we all know there were murders and rapes happening...and who knows if they are were caught. I read a news report about teenages having their thoarts slit and one being in a cooler!
And with no ID how will people know Joe Shome is a level three offender when they offer their home to him? (or her...as not all criminals are male)
Or any thing dangerous like that.
??
Just a thought.

Flar's Freyja
September 5th, 2005, 11:18 AM
You don't. There's a sticky thread at the top:

Tips on Avoiding Donation Scams (http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=106650)

I considered opening my home since it's just me here now. I have extra room and even an extra car right now, but I thought better of it. It's a shame, but there's all that human nature stuff.

If an opportunity comes up through an agency that can vouch for these people or if it turns out that someone I know has family that needs help, I may still do it but I'm going to be careful.