PDA

View Full Version : Castro: U.S. hasn't responded to Katrina offer

Laisrean
September 5th, 2005, 10:38 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/09/05/katrina.cuba/ (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/09/05/katrina.cuba/)

HAVANA, Cuba (CNN) -- Cuban President Fidel Castro told more than 1,500 doctors Sunday night that American officials had made "absolutely no response" to his offer to send them to the U.S. Gulf Coast to help victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Is it a matter of pride that our leaders refuse to accept an offer of assistance from Cuba?

StellaLuna
September 5th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Granted, I don't know enough about Cuba and the history of US'foreign relations with this country, but my first reaction is frustration that the government is not replying to this humanitarian gesture.

StormwolfAvatar
September 6th, 2005, 01:33 AM
I think it's that we still have an embargo on Cuban products. How human services could count, I don't know, but that's hardly relevant; if they're qualified, and they're ready to help...well, this is probably the friendliest I've seen Castro towards the Americans in the first place. (Though, admittedly, my teaching has been somewhat colored by my previous instructors. As such, I could be in error.) Take it and run with it.

Sea-Witch
September 6th, 2005, 07:46 AM
From what I've heard and read, Canada and Russia offered immediate assistance ... here in Canada we had rescue teams on stand-by just waiting word to go in ... and Bush said no to both countries.

Only now is Canada being allowed in to deliver supplies.

Gracecat
September 6th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Well, I'm not at all sure it's a matter of pride. There may be much more there than just the offer. Publically he could have put one offer on the table and privately, or not so privately, he could have suggested Bush lift the embargo and we'll help you. If you read the article, he refused our help because of the embargo, so offering now may have given him a way out. That's my guess and I doubt very seriously until Cuba adopts a new government, they can laugh themselves blue before our government deals with them.

Besides, would you want help from someone that shot down our planes or collaborated with another communist country, allowing them to build missiles aimed towards us? I'm willing to let the US slide on this one. It looked too dicey and on top of it all, doctors we have aplenty. It's engineering and disaster relief help we needed and still need.

WokeUpDead
September 6th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Castro and the Cubans are surprisingly good at preparing for hurricanes and disasters.

Cassie
September 6th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Publically he could have put one offer on the table and privately, or not so privately, he could have suggested Bush lift the embargo and we'll help you.

I don't think so. He has been broadcasting to the whole world for the last four or five days that his medics and medical supplies are at the airport just waiting for the order to go.
Perhaps later he might use that as some sort of leverage to get the embargo removed. And maybe it is about time some bridges were built.

Jenne
September 6th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Hey, the Afghans contributed $100,000 on the spot to their US delegate (gave him a check and everything). That's a lot of money for a country with no hot-and-cold running water!