PDA

View Full Version : So eloquent.....

VelvetBlade
September 6th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Local officials bitterly expressed frustration with the federal government's sluggish response as the tragedy unfolded.

"Bureaucracy has murdered people in the greater New Orleans area. And bureaucracy needs to stand trial before Congress today," Aaron Broussard, president of Jefferson Parish, said on CBS' "The Early Show."

"So I'm asking Congress, please investigate this now. Take whatever idiot they have at the top of whatever agency and give me a better idiot. Give me a caring idiot. Give me a sensitive idiot. Just don't give me the same idiot."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H/HURRICANE_KATRINA?SITE=MABED&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H/HURRICANE_KATRINA?SITE=MABED&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)

Xander67
September 6th, 2005, 04:55 PM
I saw the Lt Govenor's speach... I think the investigation needs to start in Baton Rouge...

The Govenor will have alot to answer for once the time comes for questions... I am shocked that they are blaming the Federal Govt, it was not Washington that dropped the ball on this one...

as we will see, the ball dropped in Baton Rouge!

paygun
September 6th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Any idiot would have been better. Hell they could have consulted the magic 8-ball and been more effective.

Jenne
September 6th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Xander, I do agree with you. However, I also agree with the smalltime administrations of Louisiana as well...federal aid pushing further and faster than it did would've saves hundreds if not thousands of lives.

VelvetBlade
September 6th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Xander, I do agree with you. However, I also agree with the smalltime administrations of Louisiana as well...federal aid pushing further and faster than it did would've saves hundreds if not thousands of lives.

I gotta say, I still think it's primarily the locals. They should have gotten folks out. But yes, had the feds responded sooner...the death toll wouldn't be nearly what it's going to be...

~VB

Xander67
September 6th, 2005, 05:08 PM
true, I agree with you...

BUT acording to FEMA, the GOVENOR needed to officially request for that aid before it could roll in...

there is no question that the resources were ready willing and able... but the question is
WHO DROPPED THE BALL???

maybe it was poor preparedness and lousy administration ?

was it the mayor? The govenor? Fema? The White House?
this is what the Congressional Investigation is now charged with finding out...

under the states act... federal Troups and Aid can not assist private sectors without request /authority of the Govenor... Maybe it is time to re visit this law??

Jenne
September 6th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Oh yes, I agree that local governent chicken-littled out. But if the LEADERSHIP of the feds was better, *Fema, cough cough*, I'd be willing to bet their butts would've been in gear sooner. But who's to know now? What is cool to ME is the amount of mom-and-pop effort I've seen out here in CA to send money, goods and aid to Louisiana and Mississippi. My own cousin has joined the cleanup effort out there as a volunteer through homeland security (he's an air marshall at SD Airport).

Jenne
September 6th, 2005, 05:11 PM
true, I agree with you...

BUT acording to FEMA, the GOVENOR needed to officially request for that aid before it could roll in...

there is no question that the resources were ready willing and able... but the question is
WHO DROPPED THE BALL???

maybe it was poor preparedness and lousy administration ?

under the states act... federal Troups and Aid can not assist private sectors without request /authority of the Govenor... Maybe it is time to re visit this law??

The thing is, if the Gov is imploding, then there should've been a failsafe for overriding her lagging butt. I mean, come on, you let thousands upon thousands suffer because ONE PERSON can't handle her job? Albeit a very important job, but SOMEONE is over her head, and can step in and say, I'm sorry, you're effing up--go in a corner and rage while I handle this.

Seriously. It's not a time for protocol in a situation like this--to fall back on, yes, but when it fails, there must be another way without all the lag time. But maybe I ask too much of gov't, I don't know.

Darakash
September 6th, 2005, 05:14 PM

I think the Governor has lots to answer for....from what I heard of Mayor Nagin's interview, he had spoken to the President and ask for "everything he could get"....I think he was asking everybody he could ask as well...I think everybody dropped the ball a little, but the Gov. should have pushed the issue more, and asked for fed intervention sooner...but we will find out when there is a "katrina commission", I am sure.

Jenne
September 6th, 2005, 05:15 PM
I think the Governor has lots to answer for....from what I heard of Mayor Nagin's interview, he had spoken to the President and ask for "everything he could get"....I think he was asking everybody he could ask as well...I think everybody dropped the ball a little, but the Gov. should have pushed the issue more, and asked for fed intervention sooner...but we will find out when there is a "katrina commission", I am sure.

Oh, yeah, she will NOT come out smelling like a rose--probably something similar to what NOLA smells like right now. Unfortunately.

VelvetBlade
September 6th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Oh yes, I agree that local governent chicken-littled out. But if the LEADERSHIP of the feds was better, *Fema, cough cough*, I'd be willing to bet their butts would've been in gear sooner. But who's to know now? What is cool to ME is the amount of mom-and-pop effort I've seen out here in CA to send money, goods and aid to Louisiana and Mississippi. My own cousin has joined the cleanup effort out there as a volunteer through homeland security (he's an air marshall at SD Airport).

The outpouring of support from the "regular" folks has been great here too. I'm actually part of a volunteer group that's trying to get families back in contact with each other that have been separated. I can't imagine not knowing where my children were....

We'll get through this...because we're Americans and that's what Americans do. 'Course it's funny how the ones who seem to manage the best to get us through the tough times...is US!

~VB

Jenne
September 6th, 2005, 05:18 PM
The outpouring of support from the "regular" folks has been great here too. I'm actually part of a volunteer group that's trying to get families back in contact with each other that have been separated. I can't imagine not knowing where my children were....

We'll get through this...because we're Americans and that's what Americans do. 'Course it's funny how the ones who seem to manage the best to get us through the tough times...is US!

~VB

Oh I know! I'm sending a box DIRECTLY to a shelter where I know of at least 5 families are waiting for aid. My sil and mom are doing the same thing. Every business I see has a cup labled for "Katrina Relief," and our own little elem school is doing a used book sale ($1/book) for the relief effort as well next week.

AmericanMe
September 6th, 2005, 05:27 PM
We will see who comes out of this with mud on their faces. However, the feds declared disaster areas on the Friday prior to the disaster. The govenor of LA was indecisive, and all the role-playing and models for this inevitability said that they needed 72 hours to evacuate New Orleans. The Mayor? he's just trying to shift blame, because evidence of his major failure is still sitting in a parking lot:
http://img3.buzznet.com/assets/users8/gojackarmy12/default/gallery-msg-1125709527-2.jpg?695413520

Mr Mayor, why was are you blaming the federal and state governments when you had the resources to have your people evacuated?

If these people were military leaders they would be brought up on charges of "Dereliction of Duty".

Jenne
September 6th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Oh yeah, that guy is making a bunch of squawking noises in order to get out of some hefty blame himself. All those now useless buses...*shakes head*