PDA

View Full Version : Surprised this hasn't been posted--shootings

Darakash
September 6th, 2005, 05:01 PM
This happened on Sunday, and was ORIGINALLY aired by the AP as the police having killed 5 contractors(by accident obviously)....the story was later corrected, and can be found here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9208195/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9208195/)

NEW ORLEANS - Police shot and killed at least five people Sunday after gunmen opened fire on a group of contractors traveling across a bridge on their way to make repairs, authorities said.

I reiterate a question I have been asking since looting and shooting at rescue workers began...what POSSIBLE purpose could it serve to shoot at these people? --The contractors I mean...on their way to repair the levy....firefighters atttempting to stop burning buildings....pilots attempting to rescue human beings?

And Jesse Jackson says the press has been "criminalizing" the people of N.O., by focusing on the violence...well, I am not saying that N.O. is criminal, but there sure seem to be a lot of criminals who stayed behind in N.O. Is it as Mayor Hagin suggested, that most of these criminals are drug users who havent had a fix? Or, do you think these criminals are opportunists, who stayed behind and wish to continue the devistation, so that they can loot more or whatever?

Jenne
September 6th, 2005, 05:05 PM
I'd say a combination, Darakash. I was listening to NPR this a.m. on the rescue airboats that have been going around trying to rescue people, and there was a recording of the police/rescuers trying to convince this group of men to leave the 2d story balcony of the house they were in. They refused, with the lamest excuses I've heard. There was speculation amongst the rescue team that they had something to hide, but it doesn't matter--these guys will be sick/dead soon with the amount of decay and biohazardous material in the waters surrounding and inside their house...and at the VERY least they will be displaced themselves once the bulldozers come in in the next 3 weeks or so...

mucgwyrt
September 7th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Well, what we've been hearing here in the UK is that, in places like the stadium gangs were basically taking over, having stolen guns from abandoned gun stores. So yeah, I'd vote opportunists. My guess would be that people like that are enjoying the power, and dont want people to be rescued and their little empire to be taken away from them. I mean, they can rape and kill whoever they want... :whistle:

narleymarley03
September 7th, 2005, 12:48 PM
It's horrible that those trying to help are having to dael with these criminals. But remember New Orleans was a high crime area before all of this happened with the hurricaine. This behaviour is not surprising.

semi
September 7th, 2005, 03:11 PM
The version of the "contractors on the bridge" story that I heard on one of the news reports was that the police shot and killed 6 men in a group of 8 who were armed with guns and approaching the group of contractors on the bridge, not that the contractors themselves were shot. But who knows, it was chaos.

BlueMoon13
September 7th, 2005, 04:23 PM
It's horrible that those trying to help are having to dael with these criminals. But remember New Orleans was a high crime area before all of this happened with the hurricaine. This behaviour is not surprising.
That and the fact that the prison was just emptied instead of evacuated.

PropheticMonkey
September 7th, 2005, 04:26 PM
When they rescue all the people who still want to be rescued, I say leave the rest to their own devices. If they want to believe that they have ultimate power and to reduce themselves to a barbaric autocracy let them. We should be focusing on the good people who are still trapped and have been without good food and water for too long. Let them live in their own little Atlantis for all I care, I just want to see the people who pray and wish every day for a savior to come and deliver them from the rest of the barbarians to have their wish come true.