PDA

View Full Version : Barbara Bush on the Evacuees in Houston

Danustouch
September 6th, 2005, 06:39 PM
I hope this is a reputable paper, and I'm not just getting upset for nothing...but..man..did this piss me off when I read the attitude of Mrs. Barbara Bush...

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001054719 (http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001054719)

Isil Darkmoon
September 6th, 2005, 07:27 PM
I hope this is a reputable paper, and I'm not just getting upset for nothing...but..man..did this piss me off when I read the attitude of Mrs. Barbara Bush...

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001054719 (http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001054719)

Nope, she said that. It's even in the big-name media like CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/06/katrina.presidents.ap/index.html)

Looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Jenne
September 6th, 2005, 07:29 PM
I'm hoping it was taken somewhat out of context...I like her, and would hate to see someone like her make this sort of mistake right now...

BeachWitch
September 7th, 2005, 01:58 AM
I love how the working poor are considered "under priviledged"

Afterall, Barb's house keeper has a 401k. Doesn't all the help have benefits?
For goodness sake, even the Gardner, what's his name? Jose? Leroy? yes, I think that's him, even he has 2 weeks paid vacation!

Faery-Wings
September 7th, 2005, 06:46 AM
I, too, hope this was taken out of context. B/c is not, it is simply disgusting.
I always thought she was pretty smart and on top of things. I am surprised she said something like that.

Sylvan
September 7th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Despicable.

BlueMoon13
September 7th, 2005, 12:24 PM
I'm hoping it was taken somewhat out of context...I like her, and would hate to see someone like her make this sort of mistake right now...
Oy! Open mouth,insert foot....

NiftyWings
September 7th, 2005, 01:44 PM
<down on my knees in fervent prayer>

Oh please, PLEASE, Goddess.....don't let that family breed ANYMORE!!!

DebLipp
September 7th, 2005, 01:51 PM
It's not out of context, the full quote is: "What I'm hearing which is sort of scary is that they all want to stay in Texas. Everybody is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this...this is working very well for them."

And Editor & Publisher is reputable and careful. I heard the MP3 of the quote. What kind of context would make the above okay?

banondraig
September 7th, 2005, 01:52 PM

i think she herself has been done with breeding for quite some while now.

i had always thought of her as a nice, classy person before this also. perhaps she meant that they were getting a (possibly needed) fresh start? they are hard to come by . . .

taijiya
September 7th, 2005, 02:05 PM
What kind of context would make the above okay?

I'm sure there's some apologist somewhere who will at least attempt to put a positive spin on it. As for me, I'm just surprised that I'm still able to be appalled by anyone of that bloodline. I ought to be used to this stuff by now. :ahhhh:

~*~taijiya~*~

DragonsChest
September 7th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Well, it doesn't sound very good, I'll agree. You'd think she would know better than to say something so loaded.

On talk radio today, coming in to work, they had a lady who owns and runs a convenience store close to Ft. Gruber (OK) where there are some of the evacuees are living. She said that she had heard some of the family's saying that this whole situation was a godsend, because before, in NO, they only got to eat once a day and lived in filth, but here, they get fed three times a day, had a warm dry place to sleep, and would get help to start over. (No, I don't have quotes to back this up - it was on the radio, and you have to take this with a grain of salt - it could be 100% true, or maybe it isn't.)

Do you think that by any stretch of the imagination Mrs. Bush might have meant this in essence, even if she didn't phrase it well at all?

Just a thought.

Sylvan
September 7th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Well, it doesn't sound very good, I'll agree. You'd think she would know better than to say something so loaded.

On talk radio today, coming in to work, they had a lady who owns and runs a convenience store close to Ft. Gruber (OK) where there are some of the evacuees are living. She said that she had heard some of the family's saying that this whole situation was a godsend, because before, in NO, they only got to eat once a day and lived in filth, but here, they get fed three times a day, had a warm dry place to sleep, and would get help to start over. (No, I don't have quotes to back this up - it was on the radio, and you have to take this with a grain of salt - it could be 100% true, or maybe it isn't.)

Do you think that by any stretch of the imagination Mrs. Bush might have meant this in essence, even if she didn't phrase it well at all?

Just a thought.
No. Babs said "the people in the arena here". Meaning the ones who were stuck in the dome. Not allowed to leave. With dead bodies piling up. The sewer backing up. No cooling system. The place was a deathtrap, and she's saying it's good.

The woman in OK, sure. Babs? No.

Darakash
September 7th, 2005, 02:33 PM
No. Babs said "the people in the arena here". Meaning the ones who were stuck in the dome. Not allowed to leave. With dead bodies piling up. The sewer backing up. No cooling system. The place was a deathtrap, and she's saying it's good.

The woman in OK, sure. Babs? No.

UH, she said this about people in the Houston Astrodome...Not the superdome...the last I saw, there were no dead bodies piling up, they had air conditioning and food.....I think you misunderstood....the only problem these people face in abundance is a lack of privacy and an uncertain future.

Sylvan
September 7th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Ew. My bad. :bigredblu

DragonsChest
September 7th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Me, too. My bad. I didn't catch that she was talking about the folks in Houston. I thought it was a general overall thing. Thanks for the heads up.

Darakash
September 7th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Ew. My bad. :bigredblu

Well, it is not like that fact makes her comments any smarter, or appear any more...uh, compassionate....because people will and do assume she said this because she is a racist elitist....I think she said it because she truly believes that some of the folks their are actually experiencing a better living condition than many did before the storm...which is probably true...but it is very un-PC thing to say, and just plain big mistake for a former first lady and mommy of the current president, who is already being acused of also being a racist elitist, to say.

DragonsChest
September 7th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Well, it is not like that fact makes her comments any smarter, or appear any more...uh, compassionate....because people will and do assume she said this because she is a racist elitist....I think she said it because she truly believes that some of the folks their are actually experiencing a better living condition than many did before the storm...which is probably true...but it is very un-PC thing to say, and just plain big mistake for a former first lady and mommy of the current president, who is already being acused of also being a racist elitist, to say.

Yep. This will go down in her memoirs as an "oh, sh*t, did I say that out loud?" moment.

NiftyWings
September 7th, 2005, 04:07 PM
i think she herself has been done with breeding for quite some while now.

True....however, her famous-est son is as dense as a lead brick, and I don't think her granddaughters have a fully functioning brain cell between them.

Yep, the gene pool is way overdue for a hefty dose of chlorine.

Alaiyo
September 7th, 2005, 04:12 PM
It seem that she caught her son's chronic "foot in mouth" disease. Babs and Senior are the only Bushes I have some respect for. It was sad that she should have said something like that in a time like these. I am hoping that she meant something more benevolent.

Danustouch
September 7th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Alaiyo, I'm sure she didn't mean it as something horribly elitist. Most horribly elitist people don't REALIZE that they are being horribly elitist. The truth is, though, that her opinion IS elitist. To many of those people, sure, they may have lived in a shack. They may have had to fish crawdad for their dinner. But..they weren't "beholden" to anyone (as my grandmother always liked to say..). And they had their privacy. And all of their family together. And the home, and the momentos that they'd gathered through the years. Their pet dog beside them..etc. Their possessions, and culture may seem paltry to some of our wealthy american aristocracy, such as Mrs. Bush..however, that is certainly the elitist way of thinking.

WynterWynd
September 7th, 2005, 05:39 PM
That whole 'clan' just need their mouths duct taped shut!

Isil Darkmoon
September 7th, 2005, 06:03 PM
That whole 'clan' just need their mouths duct taped shut!

Superglue. Duct tape's not painful enough to remove.

WynterWynd
September 7th, 2005, 06:43 PM
:deviltail hell ya sistah!!!

blithespirit
September 7th, 2005, 07:07 PM
"Let them eat cake," indeed. :geez:

BeachWitch
September 8th, 2005, 12:43 AM
DT, I am the first to admit that I am an elitist bitch, no doubt about it. But not even *I* in the pre-divorce, Mrs Levy days of wine, roses and hired help would EVER say something so horribly rude and inconsiderate.

No, I think you, DT, are being far too kind in placing the elitist label on Babs shoulders. She is a Racist. The very idea of all these "darkies" wanting to stay in Texas is "kind of scary". Come on. Why would it be scary? An influx of students to boost Education Revenues? An influx of economic growth to the area? No, none of this sits well with Babs, because the "scary" part of "these people" is the pigment of their skin.

So please, I beg you, do not try and make Babs sit over here with me on the Elitist Bench. We may be pampered white bitches, even those of us who are ex-trophy wives, but we have our standards. Blatent racism is grounds for banishment from the club.

Oh and just to drive the point home, those of us in the Elitist Bitches Club regularly wax. We sport no bush!

(sorry, just had to.... had to!)

CzechWoods
September 8th, 2005, 12:53 AM
the tragedy imo is not that people - politicians or not - say such things out loud
the tragedy consist of even thinking it

:elf:

she reminds me of marie antoinette though

anyway, heard on AFN today (the ABC morning show) something i liked, a man, dont ask me who, said: dont talk of them (the evacuated) as refugees, call them what they are: citizens

liked that train of though :elf:

on the other hand

Jenne
September 8th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Yeah, this just looks worser and worser...meh. Open mouth, insert foot, and chew.

QUEEN OF THE DAMNED
September 8th, 2005, 01:18 AM
DT, I am the first to admit that I am an elitist bitch, no doubt about it. But not even *I* in the pre-divorce, Mrs Levy days of wine, roses and hired help would EVER say something so horribly rude and inconsiderate.

No, I think you, DT, are being far too kind in placing the elitist label on Babs shoulders. She is a Racist. The very idea of all these "darkies" wanting to stay in Texas is "kind of scary". Come on. Why would it be scary? An influx of students to boost Education Revenues? An influx of economic growth to the area? No, none of this sits well with Babs, because the "scary" part of "these people" is the pigment of their skin.

So please, I beg you, do not try and make Babs sit over here with me on the Elitist Bench. We may be pampered white bitches, even those of us who are ex-trophy wives, but we have our standards. Blatent racism is grounds for banishment from the club.

Oh and just to drive the point home, those of us in the Elitist Bitches Club regularly wax. We sport no bush!

(sorry, just had to.... had to!)

I think I'm in love with you :loveduv: :yourock: _handclapp :hehehehe:

Shanti
September 8th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Only thought that comes to my mind...
'Better to remain silent and appear stupid than open mouth and remove all doubt!'

Hermgirl
September 8th, 2005, 05:01 AM
I used to have more respect for her too, I even voted for Bush Sr. But in recent years she's certainly been tipping her hand about what type of person she really is.

Her words on Good Morning America in 2003 regarding the results of Dubya's war: "Why should we hear about body bags and deaths? Oh, I mean, it's not relevant. So why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that?"

DebLipp
September 8th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I used to have more respect for her too, I even voted for Bush Sr. But in recent years she's certainly been tipping her hand about what type of person she really is.
It has long been well known in political circles. She did a good job, as First Lady, of presenting a sweet and grandmotherly image, but no less an expert on meanness than Richard Nixon called her the meanest person he ever knew.

DragonsChest
September 8th, 2005, 09:32 AM
It has long been well known in political circles. She did a good job, as First Lady, of presenting a sweet and grandmotherly image, but no less an expert on meanness than Richard Nixon called her the meanest person he ever knew.

It took me ages when Bush Sr was first president to actually believe that Babs was his wife and not his mother.

Danustouch
September 8th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Well, Laura Bush herself compared Babs to "Don Corlione" (the Godfather) in her Roast of Pres. Bush.

BlueMoon13
September 8th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Well, Laura Bush herself compared Babs to "Don Corlione" (the Godfather) in her Roast of Pres. Bush.
She may be a mean dope, but I doubt with all those partly Hispanic grandchildren she's racist.

CzechWoods
September 8th, 2005, 11:01 AM
its a sad fact you can be racist anyway

Darakash
September 8th, 2005, 11:11 AM
NShe is a Racist. The very idea of all these "darkies" wanting to stay in Texas is "kind of scary". Come on. Why would it be scary? An influx of students to boost Education Revenues? An influx of economic growth to the area? No, none of this sits well with Babs, because the "scary" part of "these people" is the pigment of their skin.

While it is perfectly possible that Mrs. Bush is a racist, I have NO idea; the fact that she said an influx of THOUSANDS of people into the area is scary, especially when you consider they are going to need jobs, homes, and most likely have very little money or resources to help them do so. It will be a large burden on the local ecomony, before it leads to the benefits you mention above.

Also, the quote from 2003: "Why should we hear about body bags and deaths? Oh, I mean, it's not relevant. So why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that?"....well, this makes me think even more that she is just incredibly sheltered and ignorant to much in the way of real strife or struggle, not necessarily that she is a racist/elitist.

Again, it was a stupid comment to make, and in much of its spirit could very well be seen as Antoinette-like, but, I think it was somewhat honest as well, as the other woman had mentioned in Houston, many of these folks were used to eating only one meal a day, etc...and this is, unfortunately, a step up for some of them.

BeachWitch
September 9th, 2005, 01:39 AM
The penultimate Elitist Response to Babs and her comments:

I was at a wine tasting tonight (you can see how this just starts out bad right?) and the women, the owner's wife, the sister of the co-owner, several lawyers' wives, a few plastic surgeoens wives, and of course me the ex-trophey wife are talking about Babs and her comments.

Every woman there, all Republicans, all card carrying Elitist Bitches and proud to be so, are just livid over Babs and her outburst.

Owner's wife: We don't need any more bad press, what is this woman thinking? What is wrong with her? She could at least think of how this affects us!

Co-owner's sister: I truly think senility has set in. This is just so out of character. I mean really, this is just not something you say to an outsider.

Doctor's wife: I just can't imagine what Barbara was thinking when she said those words. That (radio/tv personality) just got her so comfortable, she acted as though she were talking to a life long friend in the middle of her living room!

Now remember, these women are essentially Bab's peers. These are the women she encounters at the Spa, at the golf club, at Nordtroms and at Neiman's. The women are furious at Babs - her own peers are pissed off.

When Rebuplican Women are pissed, look out - these bitches eat their own young!

Sylvan
September 9th, 2005, 06:41 AM

How do we get Babs so pissed off that she eats *her* young? _whistle_

Faery-Wings
September 9th, 2005, 06:48 AM
How do we get Babs so pissed off that she eats *her* young? _whistle_
:rotfl:

:yourock:

DebLipp
September 9th, 2005, 10:58 AM
The penultimate Elitist Response to Babs and her comments:

I was at a wine tasting tonight (you can see how this just starts out bad right?) and the women, the owner's wife, the sister of the co-owner, several lawyers' wives, a few plastic surgeoens wives, and of course me the ex-trophey wife are talking about Babs and her comments.

Every woman there, all Republicans, all card carrying Elitist Bitches and proud to be so, are just livid over Babs and her outburst.

Owner's wife: We don't need any more bad press, what is this woman thinking? What is wrong with her? She could at least think of how this affects us!

Co-owner's sister: I truly think senility has set in. This is just so out of character. I mean really, this is just not something you say to an outsider.

Doctor's wife: I just can't imagine what Barbara was thinking when she said those words. That (radio/tv personality) just got her so comfortable, she acted as though she were talking to a life long friend in the middle of her living room!

Now remember, these women are essentially Bab's peers. These are the women she encounters at the Spa, at the golf club, at Nordtroms and at Neiman's. The women are furious at Babs - her own peers are pissed off.

So, what they're saying is, it's okay to feel and think elitist things towards the dark, dirty, desperate, and poor, as long as you don't say them in front of the lower classes? Yeah, figures. This woman insults people who have lost everything, and your co-partiers are worried about how it affects their image!

Danustouch
September 9th, 2005, 07:11 PM
If I was ever invited to one of those wine tastings, I think I would have to "respectfully" decline. If they talk in such.."me/them" terms, and such, I can ONLY imagine how catty they are. And I have to agree with Debb. It's nice that these people are "pissed off" at Babs, but they're pissed off, for all the wrong reasons. And I'll tell you what, I'd pit a pissed off redneck hillbilly against one of these people, any day of the week ;)

BeachWitch
September 10th, 2005, 12:20 AM
So, what they're saying is, it's okay to feel and think elitist things towards the dark, dirty, desperate, and poor, as long as you don't say them in front of the lower classes?

DING! DING! DING! Give the Little LAdy a Cupie Doll, she's won the Big Spin!!!!!

BeachWitch
September 10th, 2005, 12:29 AM
If I was ever invited to one of those wine tastings, I think I would have to "respectfully" decline. If they talk in such.."me/them" terms, and such, I can ONLY imagine how catty they are. And I have to agree with Debb. It's nice that these people are "pissed off" at Babs, but they're pissed off, for all the wrong reasons. And I'll tell you what, I'd pit a pissed off redneck hillbilly against one of these people, any day of the week ;)
Trust me, these women have no idea that I've lost everything. They have no clue that I am a practicing *gasp* witch, or that I am a Pagan of any variety. My hippie ways are completely lost on them. They see me as this Bohemian Artsy woman from the East Village of Long Beach.

And remember, most of these women have no idea - even their cleaning ladies are white. A hispanic or black house keeper? Are you kidding me? These women know there are desperately por people in the country, you just don't talk about it in polite or mixed company. Don't forget, the "F" word is a mortal sin in these circles, and along with that word comes Activism, Socialism, Humanitarianim. these woemn were Feminists in college, they were activists in their 20's. These women are mothers now and left those days behind.

As for the Babs apologetic earlier in the thread - um no, she is not sheltered. She led this nation as the 2nd Lady for 8 years and as the 1st Lady for 4 years. For 12 years she had an up close and personal view of the nation's poor. As Nancy's number two she saw first hand what drugs do to low income families in the "Just Say No" ampaign. Her own endeavors to bring humanitarian aid to the poor were very well published - Babs has no excuse, it's racism pure and simple.

But you are right DT, these events are so .... hoity toity. But the wine is killer!

atropa
September 10th, 2005, 02:04 AM

LOL!!! (and that's as far as I'm going in this particular thread.)