PDA

View Full Version : Rapper calls Bush racist live on tv!

Findarto
September 6th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Rapper Kanye West called George Dubya Bush racist last weekend on live televesion. They had to switch to a bewildered Chris Tucker afterwards. It was censored for West-coast viewers. Actor Colin Farrell agrees with him.

Source (1): http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=1093149 (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=1093149)
Source (2): http://www.curlio.com/new_showarticle.php?id=7477&page=last (http://www.curlio.com/new_showarticle.php?id=7477&page=last)

jetzige
September 6th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Tha'ts probably not far from the truth.

Findarto
September 6th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I just got done reading a hundred and three posts of long dialouge about this at another forum.

I'm not going to say if I agree with Kanye or not on here though...

WynterWynd
September 6th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Rapper Kanye West called George Dubya Bush racist last weekend on live televesion. They had to switch to a bewildered Chris Tucker afterwards. It was censored for West-coast viewers. Actor Colin Farrell agrees with him.

Source (1): http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=1093149 (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=1093149)
Source (2): http://www.curlio.com/new_showarticle.php?id=7477&page=last (http://www.curlio.com/new_showarticle.php?id=7477&page=last)

I've got an east coast satellite feed....I caught that live.

KaliGiri5
September 6th, 2005, 11:15 PM

He is..
I don't think it took Katrina to show it.
some of us always knew it
he isn't for the people...just some of the people
I honestly don't know what else dubya could do
to make all Americans see him the way he really is.

Laisrean
September 6th, 2005, 11:48 PM
I don't think he is a racist, just incompetent. If he were a racist he wouldn't have had so many high ranking minorities in his administration. I don't particularly like Bush, but let's be fair here. The 'r' word is thrown around far too much these days.

paygun
September 7th, 2005, 12:09 AM
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." --Hanlon's Razor.

Jenne
September 7th, 2005, 12:36 AM
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." --Hanlon's Razor.
Exactly. It's all too easy to pull racism here...but seriously, I think it's just the ol' trying to find butt with both hands deal.

KaliGiri5
September 7th, 2005, 01:45 AM
I don't think he is a racist, just incompetent. If he were a racist he wouldn't have had so many high ranking minorities in his administration. I don't particularly like Bush, but let's be fair here. The 'r' word is thrown around far too much these days.

remember oj's trial...he used the race card
this is how stupid it was...
when white people who sees blacks or any minorities in a negative way,
they see certain people as "different"
meaning OJ like Condoleezza Rice are the exception...
nobody was out to get him...he was a freaking hero to whites
so well behaved to be a black man and such a great athlete
:whistle:

you don't view Michael Jordan as you would Leroy Johnson from the hood...
that would still be as racist.
when you accept one because he/she seems more educated and so eloquent when the speak..
..or because he/she is in sports or music
or say how Beyonce is hot when you're not even into black women
this too is racist...you don't have to hang em in trees or burn crosses
you don't even need to say n/gger to be a racist.

been there..I am one of them the whites like to say is "different"

MoonDust
September 7th, 2005, 02:14 AM
*nods* I vote incompatent.
and Kanye's a moron anyway I really don't pay attention to much of what he says.

MoonDust
September 7th, 2005, 02:23 AM
I'm sorry but this doesn't apply to simply white people.
Racism has historically been defined as the belief that race is the primary determinant of human capacities, that a certain race is inherently superior or inferior to others, and/or that individuals should be treated differently according to their racial designation. Sometimes racism means beliefs, practices, and institutions that discriminate against people based on their perceived or ascribed race.

when you accept one because he/she seems more educated and so eloquent when the speak..
I don't think this shows racism. I think it shows a preference to people who have chosen to use grammar correctly.

What makes this a racist comment is the fact that a person would chose to alienate an entire group of women because of their race. (not "into" black women)

you don't have to hang em in trees or burn crosses
With this I agree.

As have I. Just curious, how/why are you seen as "different"?

HeavensHope
September 7th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Oh, I saw a clip of that...he was standing next to Mike Meyers...hehe I saw the look Meyer had on his face after Kayne made that comment. He looked stunned and wasnt sure how to react. I dont know if W. Bush is racist but I know he's not too bright. How he became president..for the SECOND time...I'll never figure out.

Faery-Wings
September 7th, 2005, 06:43 AM
I just read an article that was a pro-Bush commentary on the rescue. It said that GWB didn't cause the hurricane (I agree), blah, blah... GWB is not a racist. My first thought was - you have to got to be kidding me. On further thought, I realized, no I don't think he is racist. Christian yes, racist, no. Shmuck, yes, a good public speaker, no.

evie_mun
September 7th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Even as much as I truly loathe and dislike Bush, I don't think he is particularly racist. He is a rich WASP president, which means that his actions and desires as president will naturally benefit the rich more, and unfortunately on average white people are more wealthy than minorities. He is not directly racist, but the actions he takes can reflect back as racist, because they unfortunately will not reflect as well on minorities than they will on whites.

As people are saying, he has elected many well-ranking minority people into his cabinet. I don't think he's the sort of person who would go around wanting to hang blacks from trees or calling them n***ers. Moron, yes. Bad public speaker, yes. Wish he wasn't president, yes. But racist, potential member of the KKK? No. Presidents can't afford to be that free with their opinions.

Flar's Freyja
September 7th, 2005, 08:31 AM
He is..
I don't think it took Katrina to show it.
some of us always knew it
he isn't for the people...just some of the people
I honestly don't know what else dubya could do
to make all Americans see him the way he really is.

Like the majority of Republicans, he wants equality for everyone who is just like him. He's a fine representative of his party.

pawnman
September 7th, 2005, 09:32 AM
I don't think he's racist. If we're going to call him racist because of Katrina's death toll, then let's label Kathleen Blanco a racist as well, since she could have ordered an evacuation in time to get EVERYONE out, and didn't. Must have been because she wanted black people to die, right? Even Ray Nagin must be racist, against his own race, because he let some 400 buses go to waste rather than use them to evacuate people.

remember oj's trial...he used the race card
this is how stupid it was...
they see certain people as "different"
meaning OJ like Condoleezza Rice are the exception...
nobody was out to get him...he was a freaking hero to whites
so well behaved to be a black man and such a great athlete

you don't view Michael Jordan as you would Leroy Johnson from the hood...
that would still be as racist.
..or because he/she is in sports or music
this too is racist...you don't have to hang em in trees or burn crosses

Where to begin?
1. OJ was a murderer, and he used the race card, and he played it from the bottom of the deck. It was not the only reason he got out of his murder rap, but it was a big one.

2. Of course I don't view Micheal Jordan the way I view Leroy from the Hood. MJ is educated, inspirational, and a well-known athlete. Leroy is relatively unknown, and if it's the same Leroy I'm thinking of, his communication skills are not at the same level as MJ's. Of course, I also view Bill Gates as different from Bob of Suburbia and Jackie Chan as different than Wong from Down The Block. It's their celebrity that makes us view them differently, not their race.

3. Beyonce is hot.

4. I tend to accept people who speak in a more educated manner more readily than those who don't. That's not racist. It may be classist, but it's not racist. I will buddy up to an educated black guy before I buddy up to an uneducated white guy. That's the very opposite of racist.

I'm not sure I see how Bush is racist. He's got more blacks in positions of authority than any other president in history. If anything, he's the most egalitarian president I've seen, including Bill Clinton. The problem seems to be that the NAACP doesn't want equality, they want special treatment, and when they don't get it, they start accusing people of racism.

MoonDust
September 7th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Oh, I saw a clip of that...he was standing next to Mike Meyers...hehe I saw the look Meyer had on his face after Kayne made that comment. He looked stunned and wasnt sure how to react. I dont know if W. Bush is racist but I know he's not too bright. How he became president..for the SECOND time...I'll never figure out.
be cause we (americans/people) as a group aren't too bright either. But at least we have to be in group from in order to recieve the "not too bright" status.

MoonDust
September 7th, 2005, 10:41 AM
1. OJ was a murderer, and he used the race card, and he played it from the bottom of the deck. It was not the only reason he got out of his murder rap, but it was a big one.

2. Of course I don't view Micheal Jordan the way I view Leroy from the Hood. MJ is educated, inspirational, and a well-known athlete. Leroy is relatively unknown, and if it's the same Leroy I'm thinking of, his communication skills are not at the same level as MJ's. Of course, I also view Bill Gates as different from Bob of Suburbia and Jackie Chan as different than Wong from Down The Block. It's their celebrity that makes us view them differently, not their race.

3. Beyonce is hot.

4. I tend to accept people who speak in a more educated manner more readily than those who don't. That's not racist. It may be classist, but it's not racist. I will buddy up to an educated black guy before I buddy up to an uneducated white guy. That's the very opposite of racist.

*nods* x 4

Gracecat
September 7th, 2005, 10:44 AM
If you want to see racism in action in the political arena, just watch Rev. Jesse Jackson.

That man is horrible.

DragonsChest
September 7th, 2005, 11:56 AM
If you want to see racism in action in the political arena, just watch Rev. Jesse Jackson.

That man is horrible.

I can't agree with you enough on this point. Not only is he horrible, he's horribly dangerous.

DragonsChest
September 7th, 2005, 11:59 AM

3. Beyonce is hot.

I'm not sure I see how Bush is racist. He's got more blacks in positions of authority than any other president in history. If anything, he's the most egalitarian president I've seen, including Bill Clinton. The problem seems to be that the NAACP doesn't want equality, they want special treatment, and when they don't get it, they start accusing people of racism.

I agree, yeppers, I do. The NAACP is the first to scream racism, where it doesn't even exist.

KaliGiri5
September 7th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Bush isn't the only one..
If anyone here gets the show http://www.democracynow.org/ (http://www.democracynow.org/)
they are showing film of white "victims" who lost everything but on camera
said the best thing to come from this was the removal of the n/ggers..<-yeah they said that word.
they joked that blacks carried jars so their crack wouldn't get wet.
even a police officer who was there to help and spoke of how bad and unwated the n/ggers was..
one dude says the only reason Texas took them people was because they will get money from Bush but in 6months he will be thrown from office for taking "them" dirty people in..
and they(the whites) begged for martial law for years against 9th ward(?) n/ggers
and how Katrina BLESSED them.
because now they will rebuild and have everything new and the n/ggers will be gone.
:confused:

Devi
September 8th, 2005, 12:50 AM
I don't think he's racist. If we're going to call him racist because of Katrina's death toll, then let's label Kathleen Blanco a racist as well, since she could have ordered an evacuation in time to get EVERYONE out, and didn't. Must have been because she wanted black people to die, right? Even Ray Nagin must be racist, against his own race, because he let some 400 buses go to waste rather than use them to evacuate people.

I agree and do think more questions should be ask of Ray Nagin but I also wonder how he was to get all these people on buses out of New Orleans in time without federal help. When they left his domain where was he going to put them without goverment sanction how was he going to feed them and help keep the peace?

Where to begin?

Although I lean towards OJ's guilt I feel
he got off because he had the money to buy a powerful defense team I think the race thing became a powerful defense when several of the strong pieces of evidence against him were found by a lying racist... Mark furman. People seem to forget this fact. Of course the defense was going to use this to cast doubt.

What about the more recent murder trial of Robert Blake......race didnt come up.... why the innocent verdict for him? I thought from hearing bits from the trial that the evidence against him was also very strong. Again, I think it has to do with money and celebrity.........the rich have always had instances of been able to pay their way to innocent verdicts.

Isnt Bush educated? What is his excuse?I don't think he has the best communication skills but he stills garners respect. How did he get into such a prestigious college anyway? I'm sure there were other people with better grades that didnt get in why was he favored over others?

The problem seems to be that the NAACP doesn't want equality, they want special treatment, and when they don't get it, they start accusing people of racism.

Like What?

KaliGiri5
September 8th, 2005, 03:14 AM
As have I. Just curious, how/why are you seen as "different"?

humm..
part of it is how I look
part is how I speak and act I guess
I adapt well

I see myself as dark while some say light
i'm the complexion of Beyonce when she has the make up to appear lighter.
so i'm not so white that people wouldn't know i'm a minority.
it's just i'm above some of the others in their minds.
I have had good ol boys as boyfriends...
they was all racist...all anti black but wanted me.
the man i'm with now is beyond racist..he talked crap about n/ggers looting
when I ask them why you hook up with me if you feel that way..
"you're different"..

I have had klan members as friends just as I have black militants pro Africans.
I just never bring the two together.

I feel like a spy, a double agent sometimes...who is able to go where the "others" can't
I see & hear and report how it is.
but it also makes me anti bias because i'm able to see both sides.

I keep all the people I know in groups and separated
the left hand never knows or greets the right...ever
black people know me one way while whites another
I also have classes..
rich friends and poor trailer trash who don't even know I go in and out that life as I want.
it's dual..in every way
I've been at friends homes who bitched about more illegals coming..I get in my car get a bite to eat and go hang with the illegals who bitch about the gringos treatment.
I lived in Miami Lakes Fl(rich) while at the same time lived in Carol City Fl(bad ghetto)
why?
because i'm different
_travolta_

to me..I am whatever the person i'm with doesn't like but they don't know it.
because i didn't fit their mental reference to whatever group they are against which then allows me access to how they feel & think about others... as well as experience different types of lifestyles.

pawnman
September 8th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Bush isn't the only one..
If anyone here gets the show http://www.democracynow.org/ (http://www.democracynow.org/)
they are showing film of white "victims" who lost everything but on camera
said the best thing to come from this was the removal of the n/ggers..<-yeah they said that word.
they joked that blacks carried jars so their crack wouldn't get wet.
even a police officer who was there to help and spoke of how bad and unwated the n/ggers was..
one dude says the only reason Texas took them people was because they will get money from Bush but in 6months he will be thrown from office for taking "them" dirty people in..
and they(the whites) begged for martial law for years against 9th ward(?) n/ggers
and how Katrina BLESSED them.
because now they will rebuild and have everything new and the n/ggers will be gone.
:confused:

Question being, do they feel this way about every black inhabitant, or just about that neighborhood? Because from what I understand, the 9th ward was a pretty nasty part of the city, like South Central in Los Angeles.

I agree and do think more questions should be ask of Ray Nagin but I also wonder how he was to get all these people on buses out of New Orleans in time without federal help. When they left his domain where was he going to put them without goverment sanction how was he going to feed them and help keep the peace?

Well, we're talking before the hurricane hit. He had the whole fleet of school buses and public transportation buses and the people who run them daily. Personally, I would have had them bussed out of the city, perhaps to Baton Rouge. This is where communication between the local and state authorities is important, but it didn't happen.

banondraig
September 8th, 2005, 08:38 AM
my take:

1) bush can't handle anything well, let alone the worst natural disaster ever to strike america.

2) he's not racist, he despises all poor people equally.

pawnman
September 8th, 2005, 12:27 PM
my take:

1) bush can't handle anything well, let alone the worst natural disaster ever to strike america.

2) he's not racist, he despises all poor people equally.

1. The federal government can't handle anything well. Hence the need for local and state agencies to have a good plan in place prior to an emergency.

2. It's debatable. I don't think he despises poor people, I just think he doesn't like the entitlement mentality that the poor should get all manner of money from the government, at the expense of the rich. I suspect neither of us will ever be proven right, but in either case, it's not racism.

MoonDust
September 8th, 2005, 04:20 PM
He has to give a flying ... youknowwhat about the poor before he can despise them

banondraig
September 8th, 2005, 04:51 PM
1. The federal government can't handle anything well. Hence the need for local and state agencies to have a good plan in place prior to an emergency.

2. It's debatable. I don't think he despises poor people, I just think he doesn't like the entitlement mentality that the poor should get all manner of money from the government, at the expense of the rich. I suspect neither of us will ever be proven right, but in either case, it's not racism.

1a. true, especially a likely emergency. hurricanes in the gulf in hurricane season=likely, whereas, say, nuclear attacks=unlikely.

2a. i don't like the entitlement mentality myself, but i think he just doesn't understand having to struggle for things.

PropheticMonkey
September 8th, 2005, 05:08 PM
The NAACP have not brought equality. They have turned blacks into gods. I know people that are in awe every time a real black person walks on the street. HOw must that make them feel? Some must eat it up like M&M's but for people who just wanna be people? Being a god figure is a big expectation to live up to and not everyone is up to the task

There arent many blacks where I live, but when one decides to show up its like Jesus Buddah and Moses walking down the crosswalk Beatles style. More than once i've heard "Man ive only seen them in videos before"....is that any way to live? To make another genetic variation of humans into a myth?

WokeUpDead
September 8th, 2005, 11:00 PM

It's easy to think like that when you're born a millionare.

Xentor
September 9th, 2005, 04:11 AM
The NAACP have not brought equality. They have turned blacks into gods. I know people that are in awe every time a real black person walks on the street. HOw must that make them feel? Some must eat it up like M&M's but for people who just wanna be people? Being a god figure is a big expectation to live up to and not everyone is up to the task

There arent many blacks where I live, but when one decides to show up its like Jesus Buddah and Moses walking down the crosswalk Beatles style. More than once i've heard "Man ive only seen them in videos before"....is that any way to live? To make another genetic variation of humans into a myth?

I'm guessing the NAACP hates Michael Jackson... he turned white.

MoonKnight
September 9th, 2005, 04:29 AM
More than once i've heard "Man ive only seen them in videos before"....is that any way to live? Nope, you should move.

pawnman
September 9th, 2005, 09:35 AM
It's easy to think like that when you're born a millionare.

Hell, I don't like it either, and I'm barely a thousandare.

SphinYote
September 9th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Definitely agree with incompetent. Don't know about racist, but definitely ignorant.

HOWEVER I will say that just because he has so many high ranking authorities in his administration it doesn't mean he's not racist.

It just means that someone (possibly him, but I don't really think he's capable of recognizing the issues, so probably his advisors) recognized from the beginning the need to put on a good show for the public. That's just common practice anymore to have enough token women and minorities in high positions to cover your ideological ass, so to speak...the fact of their presence and capabilities is meaningless in relation to the reality of the administration's position, racist or not. It doesn't prove anything one way or the other. Neither does the present situation.

Although, in some ways I DO consider naive ignorance a form of racism, although not an intentional one...

MoonDust
September 9th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Nope, you should move.
On the contrary. More people should flood those places. What's needed is exposure. It may be too late for some of the adults (maybe not), but there's no reason the children should fair the same.

pawnman
September 9th, 2005, 10:44 AM
On the contrary. More people should flood those places. What's needed is exposure. It may be too late for some of the adults (maybe not), but there's no reason the children should fair the same.

Black people should flood white neighborhoods so white kids are exposed to black people? Haven't they tried this with busing kids hours away from their homes to go to a more diverse school, with dismal results?

pawnman
September 9th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Definitely agree with incompetent. Don't know about racist, but definitely ignorant.

HOWEVER I will say that just because he has so many high ranking authorities in his administration it doesn't mean he's not racist.

It just means that someone (possibly him, but I don't really think he's capable of recognizing the issues, so probably his advisors) recognized from the beginning the need to put on a good show for the public. That's just common practice anymore to have enough token women and minorities in high positions to cover your ideological ass, so to speak...the fact of their presence and capabilities is meaningless in relation to the reality of the administration's position, racist or not. It doesn't prove anything one way or the other. Neither does the present situation.

Although, in some ways I DO consider naive ignorance a form of racism, although not an intentional one...

Token is one person in a relatively unimportant position. Bush has more minorities in high positions than any president in history.

mcc
September 9th, 2005, 11:20 AM
So... if anyone would find this interesting, saw this this morning on another forum:

At 4pm eastern time [today, sept. 9], Kanye West will appear on the Oprah Winphrey Show to discuss why he said "President Bush doesn't care about Black People" on last week's hurricane relief concert shown on NBC.

OPRAH STRIKES AGAIN

SphinYote
September 9th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Token is one person in a relatively unimportant position. Bush has more minorities in high positions than any president in history.

True, I misused the term, but it doesn't change my overall point. They are talented people in high ranking roles, but their presence doesn't prove anything about the Bush Administration's stance on the subject.

It communicates the idea of a lack of racism (when the issue comes up).

But again, it could quite possibly be a strategy of propaganda. Every administration--good, bad, indifferent--is a propaganda machine that will do whatever it can to put itself in the best light with the largest number of people possible.

That said, again, I am not accusing the administration of being racist, I'm just saying that one can't tell the stance of a highly public group by the demographics of the people within the group.

And racism doesn't mean a person is incapable of seeing talent and ability in a group that they might feel themselves superior to. Or accept a small minority of that minority as equals. (Personal example: My uncle is a racist bastard. I'm sorry, but it's the truth of the matter. But he accepts his daughter's spouse as one of the family in spite of that, even though her spouse is black. His reasoning is simply that the spouse is "different from the rest." Granted the domestic sphere and the political/public sphere are two completely different things, but I'm using it to simply illustrate that people's motives are complex things. Kind of like Cheney's daughter being a lesbian even though the overall stance of the administration regarding homosexuality is not an altogether accepting one).

Politics is above all a game of garnering apporval from the largest number of good supporters possible. Every group has a public stance, but it is a game of both convincing the overall public that their view is the best, but at the same time at least trying to appear to conform as closely as possible to the mainstream accepted values of the highest number of people. It is strategy. There is no real way of saying to what degree the actions of a particuular administration reflects their own valuse, versus the values of the people who support them, versus the values of the people they are trying to garner support from. I'm not sure Bush (or rather, the Bush administration) plays the game particularly well, though, at times.

I'm more inclined to think ignorance rather than racism is at work here personally. I acknowledge that the truth will probably not be known for a long time, if ever, though.

MoonDust
September 9th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Black people should flood white neighborhoods so white kids are exposed to black people? Haven't they tried this with busing kids hours away from their homes to go to a more diverse school, with dismal results?
What I'm saying is instead of there attitude of shock being a deterrent and running away, families (not just black) should stay.
I know it's hard being the only ____ family in the neighborhood, but just because we are doesn't mean we/they are less than or should worry about what others might be going through. We fear what we don't understand and hate what we're taught to hate, especially if we've never been exposed to anything other than one side.

There are always culture shocks. But it's better to go through that shock, learn, and (hopefully) grow from the experience than staying put and never learning, never growing, never experiencing new things.

Ayumi
September 9th, 2005, 04:33 PM
I don't care what side anyone is on but I feel that it was just plain WRONG to say that on that program. The purpose was to ask people to contribute to the relief efforts and not to accuse. It was so untactful and wrong of him to do so. He could have expressed his views at any other time but he chose that one... I thought it was very distasteful!

-Ayumi

KaliGiri5
September 9th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Question being, do they feel this way about every black inhabitant, or just about that neighborhood? Because from what I understand, the 9th ward was a pretty nasty part of the city, like South Central in Los Angeles.

that's my point..
not all n/ggers act this way..some are "different"
yet they use the word n/gger.

I understand what they feel...nobody wants to live around hoodlums
I don't want to live by a crack house no more than I want to live by the dude who always plays 80s rock all day long and him and his friend stand around outside drinking being loud and on meth..
for me it's more on social class than race
if they are born and raised here in America...how could they live and act like they just started walking upright.

I feel and this is just my personal opinion
no poor females should be allowed to have babies..in America land of wealth
if the best you can do is raise your kids in the projects..the swamp or trailer park
than you have no reason to make new dummies.
all the young men in gangs should be sent to Iraq
they know how to use a gun plus they claim to fear nobody...at least put it to good use

Gracecat
September 9th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Just a comment here... Poor folks and crack houses don't have the market on "hoodlums".

Trailer parks aren't automatically trash.

Careful we don't slide away from racism and enter the biggot arena.

MoonDust
September 9th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Just a comment here... Poor folks and crack houses don't have the market on "hoodlums".

Trailer parks aren't automatically trash.

Careful we don't slide away from racism and enter the biggot arena.
yup!

Gracecat
September 9th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Pawnman to answer your question, the Ninth district was "the projects", governmental assistance, HUD and your general welfare state.

Unfortunately, these neighborhoods draw the criminal element because it's cheap and not many people care what goes on. It's a battle that those down on their luck fights every single day to keep their kids inside and the bad outside.

Good people are hurting, good people that are poor, and black, and honest as the day is long. Not everybody is living the land of the free, milk and honey doesn't flow through their front yard and they don't have the right ear of our political leaders.

The problem that we've suffered recently, those that are grouping these individuals as a collective whole, is that many don't realize it's a city of over one million living breathing souls. Around one hundred thousand stayed. If you take 500 individuals that took advantage and shot at rescuers that's only one half of one percent of the remaining individuals. Let's say 3000 unfairly and criminally looted, 3% folks.

You're condemning a city of displaced people on 3% of 1/10th of city inhabitants?

Come on.

Incendia
September 9th, 2005, 07:19 PM

:geez: Weeeellll...they say you can't spell crap with out rap..._tomatoe_

Gwenhwyfar
September 9th, 2005, 07:29 PM
that's my point..

I don't want to live by a crack house no more than I want to live by the dude who always plays 80s rock all day long and him and his friend stand around outside drinking being loud and on meth..
if they are born and raised here in America...how could they live and act like they just started walking upright.

if the best you can do is raise your kids in the projects..the swamp or trailer park
they know how to use a gun plus they claim to fear nobody...at least put it to good use

ya, lets send all the gangs to Iraq...Im sure that will help matters imensly....and I grew up in a trailer park, that doesnt make me, or my parents, trash....I shouldnt have been born because my mom and dad lived in a trailer park? I call BS.

As a matter of fact, some of the poorer people I know have so much more class than some of the well off people I know...some of the wealthy people Iv known over the years have been ignorant and completly class-less...

your post offends me in so many ways....using the word ****** for starters.

I have to ask, wasnt it you who said they got what they deserved? Didnt you say something along the lines of they should show their breasts for food and water?

well cheers to you to, Im drinking to Karma right now.

pawnman
September 9th, 2005, 07:35 PM
that's my point..

Sooo, because people treat hoodlums and gansters differently from educated and productive members of society, we're being racist? You know, white people aren't the only ones who toss out the N bomb...plenty of black people call each other the same thing. Listen to Chris Rock sometime, he'll tell you how "black people hate N******". Why do you suppose that is? It's not skin color, it's not race, it based on behavior, the one good way to decide how to treat people.

DragonsChest
September 9th, 2005, 07:45 PM
that's my point..

Wow. How do you manage to offend just about everyone in one simple post?

pawnman
September 9th, 2005, 07:46 PM
What I'm saying is instead of there attitude of shock being a deterrent and running away, families (not just black) should stay.
I know it's hard being the only ____ family in the neighborhood, but just because we are doesn't mean we/they are less than or should worry about what others might be going through. We fear what we don't understand and hate what we're taught to hate, especially if we've never been exposed to anything other than one side.

There are always culture shocks. But it's better to go through that shock, learn, and (hopefully) grow from the experience than staying put and never learning, never growing, never experiencing new things.

On that note, a researcher discovered a reason for segregated neighborhoods. If you program a computer model with a grid, and put in little white balls and little black balls, and you tell the program "each white ball will be happy if it's near one other white ball, and each black ball will be happy if it's near one other black ball", you get highly, highly segregated sections. Whole areas of nothing but black balls and nothing but white balls. So if you were to extrapolate this to the real world, you can see why people form into neighborhoods the way they do. It's silly, but we feel comfortable around other people like us, whatever "like us" is. For instance, I'm in the Air Force. I'd be more comfortable in a neighborhood of black military folks than white civilians, even though I'm white. My identity is tied to my service, more than my color.

In short, as long as people continue to associate themselves by color, then neighborhoods will segregate themselves, and not even purposely.

semi
September 9th, 2005, 10:04 PM
I don't think Bush is racist. I think he's bigoted and classist. I don't think he is anti-black. I think he is opposed to anyone who isn't like him or doesn't share his beliefs. Condoleezza Rice seems to share every belief and agenda of this administration so she's on the team. Her skin color is irrelevant. It's a class and ideology issue with Bush, not race. It was the poor who were elft in New Orleans to die, people who just happen to be black. If there were people who were CEOs in the oil industry who were trapped there, Bush damn sure would've rushed to get them out no matter what their skin color.

MoonDust
September 10th, 2005, 03:40 PM
On that note, a researcher discovered a reason for segregated neighborhoods. If you program a computer model with a grid, and put in little white balls and little black balls, and you tell the program "each white ball will be happy if it's near one other white ball, and each black ball will be happy if it's near one other black ball", you get highly, highly segregated sections. Whole areas of nothing but black balls and nothing but white balls. So if you were to extrapolate this to the real world, you can see why people form into neighborhoods the way they do. It's silly, but we feel comfortable around other people like us, whatever "like us" is. For instance, I'm in the Air Force. I'd be more comfortable in a neighborhood of black military folks than white civilians, even though I'm white. My identity is tied to my service, more than my color.

In short, as long as people continue to associate themselves by color, then neighborhoods will segregate themselves, and not even purposely.
but does that make it ok? and how far do we go before we realize it might not be the best way to function and raise our children?
I understand your point, but we can't just ignore problems simply because we're uncomfortable. Have to say... it's been a nice debate pawn

Findarto
September 10th, 2005, 08:12 PM

You know, some of your posts have come off racists to me, was it you who said they grew up in a racists household ? A lot of you alls' have. I find it funny that you seem to base all your thoughts, and beliefs about black people on one person, who just so happens to be a comedian. First off, Chris Rock is not funny and most of the people who are his 'audience' are not minorities. I'm assuming since you can base all your points about black people on Chris Rock, I can base my points about 'White' people on Bob Grant ? I don't want to come off as bashing on here.

KaliGiri5 your posts on here seem more racists than anyones on here. If your 'man' is so racists, then WHY are you with him ? It seems to me if your friends are going to insult your group of people, then you need new ones. And let me tell you, just because you're a different shade of brown doesn't make you better than anyone else. You think you have it hard, come see some of my black relatives.

"The President has shared a stage with a well-known racist, he has given a speech at a well-known racist institution, he consorts with racists as part of his campaign strategy, he has appointed racists to high office in Texas, and he continues to support a racist. He claims that he, himself, is not a racist, and friends and foes agree. Yet, he did not shun help from racists in his campaign to be president." -end quote.

The fact that he is Racist, has nothing to do with how he handled the disaster. Kanye West is not ignorant, I think some of his ideas are really good and think it's great he sticks up for gay people's rights. The only thing you can fault him for is stating his thoughs about the man on a special that it wasn't appropriate for, he should have waited until the Oprah show or another CNN/MTV show.

I have strong views on this, seeing as I'm a minority in America (Which isn't really the land of the free) and I do have family and friends in the projects and in the ninth ward I feel very passionate about what some of you all are speaking about. And, for once I think it'd be better if you spoke with experience.

pawnman
September 11th, 2005, 08:30 AM
You know, some of your posts have come off racists to me, was it you who said they grew up in a racists household ? A lot of you alls' have. I find it funny that you seem to base all your thoughts, and beliefs about black people on one person, who just so happens to be a comedian. First off, Chris Rock is not funny and most of the people who are his 'audience' are not minorities. I'm assuming since you can base all your points about black people on Chris Rock, I can base my points about 'White' people on Bob Grant ? I don't want to come off as bashing on here.

KaliGiri5 your posts on here seem more racists than anyones on here. If your 'man' is so racists, then WHY are you with him ? It seems to me if your friends are going to insult your group of people, then you need new ones. And let me tell you, just because you're a different shade of brown doesn't make you better than anyone else. You think you have it hard, come see some of my black relatives.

"The President has shared a stage with a well-known racist, he has given a speech at a well-known racist institution, he consorts with racists as part of his campaign strategy, he has appointed racists to high office in Texas, and he continues to support a racist. He claims that he, himself, is not a racist, and friends and foes agree. Yet, he did not shun help from racists in his campaign to be president." -end quote.

The fact that he is Racist, has nothing to do with how he handled the disaster. Kanye West is not ignorant, I think some of his ideas are really good and think it's great he sticks up for gay people's rights. The only thing you can fault him for is stating his thoughs about the man on a special that it wasn't appropriate for, he should have waited until the Oprah show or another CNN/MTV show.

I have strong views on this, seeing as I'm a minority in America (Which isn't really the land of the free) and I do have family and friends in the projects and in the ninth ward I feel very passionate about what some of you all are speaking about. And, for once I think it'd be better if you spoke with experience.

It's not based soley on Chris Rock. It's based on my own experiences in a fairly mixed culture. I'm a military brat, and I'm in the military now. The military has a higher percentage of minorities than the population at large. My point is simply that white people are not the only ones to refer to certain sections of the population using the N-word. People from every minority hold a certain contempt for the gansta-thugs of society. Do SOME people believe that all blacks are thugs? Sure. Do I? No. But I still have contempt for the ones who ARE thugs.

As for the segregated neighborhoods: I'm not advocating them. I'm telling you why they arise, based on scientific research. I don't think everyone should be automatically seperated by race and told where to live. But at the same time, I think we should recognize the right of people to live anywhere they want. And that includes living around a bunch of people of their own race if that's where they want to move. Of course, if others move into that neighborhood, then maybe the racist ones will have to move again. Do I care where they live, one way or another? Not really. As long as the people in my area are law-abiding citizens with a modicum of courtesy, I don't care if their black, white, yellow, or purple with green spots.

but does that make it ok? and how far do we go before we realize it might not be the best way to function and raise our children?
I understand your point, but we can't just ignore problems simply because we're uncomfortable. Have to say... it's been a nice debate pawn

So the question becomes, are you going to force people to live somewhere they don't want to? In my own opinion, people should be free to live anywhere they can afford to. What's the alternative, to give real estate companies quotas? "You can't sell the house on Maple St. to a white family, because you already sold the one on Elm and the one on Oak to white families and there aren't enough black families in the area."? I don't think that would serve anyone very well.

Gracecat
September 11th, 2005, 09:43 AM
I don't use the N-word at all. Even in context, discussing it I'm uncomfortable.

I've heard of young black americans using it. I disagree with it. I feel (from a caucasian woman's perspective) they've forgotten the infliction and conotation it carried. They're disrespecting the ancestors they lost, some of them grandparents as late as the civil rights movements.

Likewise, I don't believe just because you dislike a black individual's values, you should call him anything of the sort. Thug sums it up pretty well. Continuing the N-word in specific situations is personally, a form of socially acceptable racism. "Oh, I called him a n***er because he's a drug pusher so it's ok". He's horrible and deserves to be smeared but returning to a word with strong historical negativity isn't appropriate because it hurts more than that drug pusher.

My two cents

pawnman
September 11th, 2005, 09:54 AM
I don't use the N-word at all. Even in context, discussing it I'm uncomfortable.

I've heard of young black americans using it. I disagree with it. I feel (from a caucasian woman's perspective) they've forgotten the infliction and conotation it carried. They're disrespecting the ancestors they lost, some of them grandparents as late as the civil rights movements.

Likewise, I don't believe just because you dislike a black individual's values, you should call him anything of the sort. Thug sums it up pretty well. Continuing the N-word in specific situations is personally, a form of socially acceptable racism. "Oh, I called him a n***er because he's a drug pusher so it's ok". He's horrible and deserves to be smeared but returning to a word with strong historical negativity isn't appropriate because it hurts more than that drug pusher.

My two cents

We won't be rid of it until young black men realize the connotations and stop calling each other by it. The really interesting thing is, two black people can greet each other using the N-word, and they're both fine with it. But let a white guy say it, or even something that sounds like it (anyone remember the protests when a politician used the word "niggardly"?), and all hell breaks loose.

gurlygurl2004
February 22nd, 2006, 04:36 PM
This is never going away and it'll haunt Kanye for years. "George Bush doesn't care about black people." LOL, it's a joke at this point. Kanye's always trying to raise eyebrows. Soon, you might here on tv about him being a porn and sex addiction. I read some stuff on the internet about it.

gurlygurl2004
February 22nd, 2006, 04:37 PM
This is never going away and it'll haunt Kanye for years. "George Bush doesn't care about black people." LOL, it's a joke at this point. Kanye's always trying to raise eyebrows. Soon, you might here on tv about him being a porn and sex addict. I read some stuff on the internet about it.

Knate
February 22nd, 2006, 04:43 PM
Equality will never be achieved through segregation.:(
Unfortunately, not a single race as a whole truly understands that.

Theres
February 23rd, 2006, 01:43 AM
i can't stand 'W'. i think he is out of touch with real society, and hasn't a clue about foriegn policy. the man is an idiot!

but the one thing i can't say about him is that he is a racist. he may very well be, but i don't think that is a viable attack strategy.
the man is clueless, but let's not burden him with more than he deserves (and there's not much that qualifies here!).

Jenne
February 23rd, 2006, 01:47 AM
i can't stand 'W'. i think he is out of touch with real society, and hasn't a clue about foriegn policy. the man is an idiot!

but the one thing i can't say about him is that he is a racist. he may very well be, but i don't think that is a viable attack strategy.
the man is clueless, but let's not burden him with more than he deserves (and there's not much that qualifies here!). :woot:

indebted
February 24th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Well, I am a Bush supporter. That does not mean I agree with everything the man has done, but then again, I am not the one sitting in the Oval Office having to make the decisions he has to make.

He is not a racist. You can tell by the makeup of the people he surrounds himself with. It is a mixed bag.

Kanye West just needs someone to shut that big mouth of his. He even claims he should be included in the Bible like Jesus as the new messiah.

ungh! *slaps head* GIVE ME A BREAK... the man can hardly speak the English language properly (West, not Bush although...) okay end of argument. I can't say anymore without the comparison looking worse.

gurlygurl2004
February 25th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Well, I am a Bush supporter. That does not mean I agree with everything the man has done, but then again, I am not the one sitting in the Oval Office having to make the decisions he has to make.

He is not a racist. You can tell by the makeup of the people he surrounds himself with. It is a mixed bag.

Kanye West just needs someone to shut that big mouth of his. He even claims he should be included in the Bible like Jesus as the new messiah.

ungh! *slaps head* GIVE ME A BREAK... the man can hardly speak the English language properly (West, not Bush although...) okay end of argument. I can't say anymore without the comparison looking worse.

Kanye can speak English better than other rappers. After all his mom was or still is an English professor. I did read about what he said about him being included in the bible. That's really crazy, but he likes to shock. Don't let it get to you.

Theres
February 25th, 2006, 04:26 AM

the word is ******.

how the hell are you ever going to defeat it if you can't even face it? get your head out of the sand... euphemizing any word is no way to eliminate it.

if WW2 had been against the 'N-people' it's highly probable that we never would have defeated the Nazis.

merlo
February 25th, 2006, 04:30 AM
*sticks fingers in ears*

potty mouth.

What's WWII got to do with all this?

Theres
February 25th, 2006, 04:34 AM
*sticks fingers in ears*

yeah, that'll make it go away. :rolleyes:

merlo
February 25th, 2006, 04:40 AM
I should do it more often then...

djmixon
February 25th, 2006, 10:52 PM
*sticks fingers in ears*

potty mouth.

What's WWII got to do with all this?

Haven't yo uheard? Apparently W is being compared to Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, bin Laden, Saddam Hussien, etc. (okay, the last two are not WWII, but you get the picture). We have people who have not studied nor excelled in History determining the difference between WWII villians and our present day leaders. Heck, not much has changed in France, but I don't think the comparison can really be carried further than that.

misschief
February 25th, 2006, 11:11 PM
the word is ******.

how the hell are you ever going to defeat it if you can't even face it? get your head out of the sand... euphemizing any word is no way to eliminate it.

if WW2 had been against the 'N-people' it's highly probable that we never would have defeated the Nazis.well.. first thing, since when is someone calling george bush racist news? really, people have been saying it, and also not saying it for years.

secondly.. not being able to face a word is one thing, being taught that it is wrong under any circumstances is another. most of us have been taught from the second we were born that that word is never acceptable. me being one of those people. there is absolutely nothing i will not say to a person, but using the word ****** under any circumstances isn't something i will do. (except just now) i don't like hearing it, i don't like seeing it, and i don't say it. it's just one of those things.

i actually got offended when i saw that you had used it, but.. hey, who am i to say? my point is, we are taught from day one that it's NOT an okay word to use. where i live, it's only used by KKK-ish people, which are few and far.

Morrigan_Wolfwind
February 25th, 2006, 11:56 PM

... I was born and raised in America. Does that make me an idiot who's barely begun walking upright?

no poor females should be allowed to have babies..

I'm sorry, but that comment hits me on a VERY personal level and if I don't say anything I'll start getting neurotic.

My mother used to be poor. And my dad told her to immigrate here when my older brother was five; she didn't get a good job until she came here. Does that mean she shouldn't have had any of us, then? Since she came from a POOR family?

... Again personal, but much less than that 'poor women' comment. I feel very smart, and that's all I'm going to say.

Do you think some of those people actually want to be in gangs? Some people have no other choice than to join a gang because their home life is dysfunctional or abusive. That's probably why some people join in the first place--to get away from where it could be a LOT worse than what they're getting into.

Theres
February 26th, 2006, 01:56 AM
okay, i guess i'll have to dumb this down for the masses...

i wasn't defending the word ******, i was stating the fact that using "the N-word" is NO different. yes, it IS a horrible word with a horrible history. my point was that euphemizing it doesn't make it some how okay.
if i were to say "F you!", would anyone be any less offended than if i had said the whole word?

so, is that a little more understandable, or should i use flash cards?

secondly (i can't believe i actually have to explain this :rolleyes: )...

i wasn't comparing W to Hitler, Saddam Hussein or any other despot. history will do that.
my point was that had we used "the N-word" in place of the word Nazi, then we wouldn't have the utter disdain for that word that it deserves either.

political correctness can bite me. (or should i say "the PC word"?).

merlo
February 26th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Ok, that clears it up for me, thanks for dumbing down *bats eyelashes coyly*

You're on a topic that is heated in that people's perception's are only relative to their life experiences. What the Nword means to me is different to what it may mean to other white males in the 20-60 age range. Most of my experience in life is in the company of black folks, so I have an understanding of how proud they are, and how that word hurts them. I work with racist rednecks and I have a deep contempt for racism. Opinionated people rock though. And by no means take ME seriously, I don't. If I don't understand something, I'll poke around and at least try.

Theres
February 26th, 2006, 02:22 PM
i thank you for your understanding. it's so much more refreshing than those who choose to misunderstand for the sake of their own self righteousness.

nothing in the lexicon is off-limits to me. i choose not to use certain words (such as the word in question) because i find them offensive. however, i also don't throw those same words around thinly veiled and then claim myself morally purer than those who do.

misschief
February 26th, 2006, 02:28 PM
okay, i guess i'll have to dumb this down for the masses...

i wasn't defending the word ******, i was stating the fact that using "the N-word" is NO different. yes, it IS a horrible word with a horrible history. my point was that euphemizing it doesn't make it some how okay.
if i were to say "F you!", would anyone be any less offended than if i had said the whole word?

so, is that a little more understandable, or should i use flash cards?

secondly (i can't believe i actually have to explain this :rolleyes: )...

i wasn't comparing W to Hitler, Saddam Hussein or any other despot. history will do that.
my point was that had we used "the N-word" in place of the word Nazi, then we wouldn't have the utter disdain for that word that it deserves either.

political correctness can bite me. (or should i say "the PC word"?).just so you know... whether you care or not is irrelevant :lol:...... it wasn't you i was irritated with. if it seemed that way, sorry. :)

pawnman
February 26th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Ok, that clears it up for me, thanks for dumbing down *bats eyelashes coyly*

You're on a topic that is heated in that people's perception's are only relative to their life experiences. What the Nword means to me is different to what it may mean to other white males in the 20-60 age range. Most of my experience in life is in the company of black folks, so I have an understanding of how proud they are, and how that word hurts them. I work with racist rednecks and I have a deep contempt for racism. Opinionated people rock though. And by no means take ME seriously, I don't. If I don't understand something, I'll poke around and at least try.

I just find it interesting that the word hurts them coming from a honky like me but can be used as a routine greeting between two black men.

misschief
February 26th, 2006, 04:05 PM
I just find it interesting that the word hurts them coming from a honky like me but can be used as a routine greeting between two black men.it's just because of context, and things that you didn't do. *shrug*
i can't stand hearing it, but... there are people i came from that were beaten, killed, etc. because of that word and because of the hatred and ingnorance surrounding it.... yeah i know... here we go again with that old crap. but, really, no matter how it sounds, i think people really can't get it, unless they're part of it. i think it's completely understandable that some people really don't understand, and that's fine... what i get upset over is the people who try to be an ass about it.

Pol
February 26th, 2006, 04:17 PM
I sometimes think that white people get more offended by the word ****** than black people do.
I refuse to use it, personally [except in discussion], but it's used fairly commonly where I was born and not always in a racist context.
I know white people that get more freaked out about it being used in conversation [like in this thread] than black people who have it thrown at them as an insult.

misschief
February 26th, 2006, 04:24 PM
i couldn't really say, being that i am both, i really don't have a one sided view.

merlo
February 26th, 2006, 05:23 PM
In my experience, it's a word used to establish dominance, when used by a white to a black, or about black folks. And how fun is that being talked down to by someone who doesn't even know you? Because you happened to be born different from them? It's about perception. The context it's used in establishes its meaning. As a greeting between black guys, it usually means something like "hey my brother" Being a white guy, I can only give you my perception. But I've had my best friends get called down right in front of me. Just because of their skin color. No other reason.

So yea, since they have to live with it EVERDAY, they can use it how they want to.

I just find it interesting that the word hurts them coming from a honky like me but can be used as a routine greeting between two black men.

Philosophia
February 26th, 2006, 09:07 PM

I agree with LadyLeo, its the context.
For example, if I go to my gay friend and call him "faggot", he'd laugh it off. However if a stranger said to him, he'd be offended.