PDA

View Full Version : Forced Evacuation, It's about d@mn time!

RowanMegaera
September 7th, 2005, 12:31 AM
I'm sorry, I know it's an american right to die in whatever idiotic way you see fit, but it's not fair to the rescue workers who are duty bound to come and bring food and water so you can keep being stubborn in the midst of all of the decay, disease and devastation.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050907/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050907/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina)

Jenne
September 7th, 2005, 12:37 AM
ITA, dahlin! :hugz: I hope your man can come home soon. Hug him for ME when you finally get to see him, k?

Flar's Freyja
September 7th, 2005, 12:50 AM
If they want to stay, that's their choice but rescue workers should not be bringing them anything.

Shanti
September 7th, 2005, 12:54 AM
I know there are some that wont leave because they wont leave their pets behind. I saw one woman interviewed that has several large dogs. She refuses to leave them. She doesnt deserve to be cut off of food and water because she loves her dogs.

Everyone has their own reasons for staying. Eventually they will go when they can because they will need work.
I say let them be.

RowanMegaera
September 7th, 2005, 12:55 AM
If they want to stay, that's their choice but rescue workers should not be bringing them anything.

Can you imagine the screaming bloody murder that would accompany the "abandonment" of those people if we let them stay. The media coverage of their slow starvation and deaths from cholera, typhoid and e coli infections?

No one but recovery workers should be allowed in the city, in my own personal newly vocal opinion.

One of my favorite chemistry geek comics says, "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate." And I think it is completely apropriate here, if you're not helping, you're the sludge in the way.

Jenne
September 7th, 2005, 12:56 AM
There are animal rescue workers down there...she should try to get the "other rescuers" to find them and get her dogs for her. They'd probably do it.

Strangely enough. LOL I just have to laugh a little at the sadness and greatness that are living side-by-side in that area of the world right now...boggles the mind it does.

pawnman
September 7th, 2005, 09:39 AM
I'm sorry, I know it's an american right to die in whatever idiotic way you see fit, but it's not fair to the rescue workers who are duty bound to come and bring food and water so you can keep being stubborn in the midst of all of the decay, disease and devastation.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050907/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050907/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina)

And only two weeks too late.

yarrow_elfglow
September 7th, 2005, 10:05 AM
i just don't understand y anybody would want to stay down there???? I see people on the news walking around in waist deep water and im just like ewwwww. there are decaying bodies floating around in that water not to mention the water is infected w/ e coli. *shudders* it really is about freaking time we had forced evacuations

pawnman
September 7th, 2005, 10:51 AM
i just don't understand y anybody would want to stay down there???? I see people on the news walking around in waist deep water and im just like ewwwww. there are decaying bodies floating around in that water not to mention the water is infected w/ e coli. *shudders* it really is about freaking time we had forced evacuations

And to think there are people saying that they'll fight to stay in their homes.

yarrow_elfglow
September 7th, 2005, 10:55 AM
And to think there are people saying that they'll fight to stay in their homes.

i don't understand y ppl would want to fight to stay in their homes. yes, it is there home, but i would rather loose my home than my life

Trithemius
September 7th, 2005, 11:14 AM
I can understand them not wanting to leave. As long as they stay, they still have a home. But once they leave, they become homeless refugees. And that's something I'm sure none of them want to be. They don't want that insecurity, that feeling of total loss. Right now, they're hanging on to what's left of their lives. They don't want to let that go.

With that said, the conditions they're trying to stay in are absolutely deplorable. There's no doubt they'd be much better off in a refugee camp where they can get food, clean water, and have access to toilet facilities. As much as they want to stay, they really need to go. I hope the authorities can get them moved out with as little trauma as possible.