PDA

View Full Version : in disbelief

Kittyweird
September 7th, 2005, 11:32 AM
I am simply stunned by much of what I am reading here. I had assumed that anyone who truly follows a pagan path could not possibly support a president like George Bush.
To me, paganism is about being one with the natural world and it's people. The Bush administration is about power, greed, inhumanity, and the destruction of nature.
I am shocked that anyone would disagree that Bush's continuation of his vacation, C. Rice's shopping spree, Barabara Bush's comments, etc., are anything but wrong, wrong, wrong.
The people of the south deserve better than to have been left to their own devices for DAYS, before any aid was sent. Within 36 hours of the tsunami in Dec., food & water had been distributed, medical tents set up, lists of missing compiled, tent shelters erected, etc., so how can anyone say that aid could not have reached the south earlier? The govt. blocked access to New Orleans & also turned back anyone they saw trying to walk out. The federal government cut communication lines in New Orleans. Many babies & elderly died not as a direct effect of the flooding, but because they had no food or water!! This could have been alleviated by allowing aid to come in. There are many videos and photos showing that trucks were sitting on the highways NOT BEING ALLOWED IN! People were raped and murdered in the Super Dome. They were told to go there, yet there were no supplies or protection there. There are many first person accounts to testify to the FACT that the federal government was simply not there for the people of the south.
I have read that responding to such a disaster "takes time". Why ? I live near a military base, and I can tell you that when they need more soldiers for the war in Iraq, those soldiers are deployed in a matter of HOURS, not days. The same could have happened for New Orleans.
Since reading the threads here, I have come to the conclusion that this is not the community that I had hoped for, and that many here are not truly on the path.

Cassie
September 7th, 2005, 11:45 AM
I tend to agree strongly with your opinion of the Bush administration in general and it's response to the current situation in particular.
However, I think it is good to see different views expressed here. Often they are expressed very well and challenge my pre-conceptions which makes me stop and think. Thinking is good! And maybe, just maybe, taking other peoples views seriously into account helps to form more convincing arguements later down the line.
I suspect that there are many pagan's here who agree with you in principle. But pagans do come in all shapes and sizes and have as diverse views as any other community.
I hope you will stick around and argue constructively for what you believe in.

BlueMoon13
September 7th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Cassie,thank you for your level-headed response. _twohorns_

Kittyweird, the governmental response to Hurricane Katrina was f'ed up on every level,local, state and federal, I don't think there's any doubt of that, and the degrees of culpability are yet to be determined. But I think you are a bit close-minded to judge whether or not any of us are or are not on the "true" path based on a person's political POV on ANY subject. Pagans come in all political leanings,and we have differing opinions on the subjects of abortion,gay marriage,immigration....you name it! Just the same as we differ on different practices -use of blood magic,exclusion of men from some Dianic practice,our patheons or no pantheon at all,and so on.It's extremely unfair of you to say someone's not a "true" pagan because they support a different politician than you do.

Do look through the different forums, and you'll find that we actually are more cohesive than it would appear from this forum. Even in this forum, you'll see that we have people who have husbands in the military working in the affected areas or are volunteering themselves,people posting links to make a way to help more available to other people, and at least one of our members is taking in a family himself, while there are others who feel they must push an agenda and/or spin conspiracy theories, as if things are'nt bad enough....so it just goes to show,tragedy brings out the best in some and the worse in others, and that goes for pagans as well as non-pagans.

narleymarley03
September 7th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Kitty, thank you for stating what others see. And I hope it's not forgotten once things are less chaotic. There needs to be an independent investigation as to what really took place.

Jenne
September 7th, 2005, 12:40 PM
*echoing what's been said before* I think the lovely part of being here in America is the freedom to choose your political path, just as the sect of paganism I ascribe to allows you to choose your religious path.

It's ok to disagree with someone's support for Bush--there are those that feel a close affinity for this president and really like him. That's ok. I'm not one of them, but I don't think they are less religious/pagan/openminded for doing so. But by sharing our views together, we can understand each other better.

stella01904
September 7th, 2005, 12:49 PM
MM ~ Speaking for myself, I agree that the Old Ways, at least the way I learned, are NOT supportive of exploitative and catastrophic environmental policies, or brutalising black people, or denying gay people their rights, or starting a war for no reason, or diverting money from social programs in order to bribe churches - in other words, just about everything Dubya stands for.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Takes all kinds to make a world... :hailmol:
BB, Stella
PS At least we can talk about it here, though. A lot of forums don't want any political discussion, it seems.