PDA

View Full Version : Katrina Victims to Get $2K Debit Cards

Darakash
September 7th, 2005, 02:05 PM
"WASHINGTON - The federal government plans to begin doling out debit cards worth $2,000 each to adult victims of Hurricane Katrina, The Associated Press has learned."

Yahoo story here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050907/ap_on_re_us/katrina_debit_cards)

Danustouch
September 7th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Which is really just a drop in the bucket. When I was applying for SSI benefits, my initial check would have been far more than that... I know that to people who have lost everything, even that small amount, will seem huge..but I just wish they could get more, right away. They have such a very long way to go...

Darakash
September 7th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Which is really just a drop in the bucket. When I was applying for SSI benefits, my initial check would have been far more than that... I know that to people who have lost everything, even that small amount, will seem huge..but I just wish they could get more, right away. They have such a very long way to go...

Hmm, well, when I lost my home in Frances last year, I was informed that FEMA does NOT reimburse for evacuation expenses--even if it is a mandatory evacuation, they only pay out for lost property, etc. But, in this case, I am guessing that this is a "for now" fund, rather than a rebuilding one's life kind of thing...the article states they can use it for food gas, etc, as in immediate needs...I am sure that this in no way takes away from the property reimbursements they will receive in order to rebuild their lives, and I think it is great that FEMA suspended their "no evac. expenses" policy for this tragedy.

DebLipp
September 7th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Hmm, well, when I lost my home in Frances last year, I was informed that FEMA does NOT reimburse for evacuation expenses--even if it is a mandatory evacuation, they only pay out for lost property, etc. But, in this case, I am guessing that this is a "for now" fund, rather than a rebuilding one's life kind of thing...the article states they can use it for food gas, etc, as in immediate needs...I am sure that this in no way takes away from the property reimbursements they will receive in order to rebuild their lives, and I think it is great that FEMA suspended their "no evac. expenses" policy for this tragedy.
Well, it's not an evacuation expense, is it? These people have lost everything? It may be cheaper and easier to give them cash than to provide clothing, diapers, blankets, etc.

Darakash
September 7th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Well, it's not an evacuation expense, is it? These people have lost everything? It may be cheaper and easier to give them cash than to provide clothing, diapers, blankets, etc.

Well, what I meant by that was, that these debit cards are to help ease the expenses of their being "evacuated" as in, not being able to be home, even if they HAVE a home...to cover things while they are evacuated, which was formerly against fema policy. They are giving these to people who are away from home, but not in shelters as well, those folks who went to hotels, etc. They would/did only give money for the actual property you lost in the disaster in question. I think that is will be in addition to the normal fema reimbursement of lost property.

Danustouch
September 7th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Considering how expensive hotel rooms are these days (I work for a hotel company), I hope this money wasn't meant to cover the hotel room stays for the duration...

Hotel rooms run around 139.00 a night in many areas. For a Holiday Inn, to boot. Hamptons are not much lower.. Even some I've seen in the south, you're talking 89-99 a night..... And that's assuming everyone will be as honest as our hotels have seemed to be during this year so far, and not start price gauging.