PDA

View Full Version : Samhain -- Why?

Morr
September 8th, 2005, 02:43 AM
I have noticed every single year, that many Pagans are very excited about Samhain months in advance. Once Autumn is just around the corner, the Samhain talk and planning begins.

What is it about Samhain that excites us? What makes Samhain the more attractive Sabbat of them all? Why Samhain?

Elistariel
September 8th, 2005, 02:51 AM
For me, it's because I can be more "pagany" and no one is the wiser. With Yule, I have to hide behind Christmas.

Darklord_Kodiak
September 8th, 2005, 02:51 AM
The begining and the end of the pagan year. The barrier between both worlds is the thinest. This night is the best for devination and necromancy. It is also a celebration of the approching dark months. Thats why I look so forward to it.

fangedeshana
September 8th, 2005, 03:14 AM
For me, it's because I can be more "pagany" and no one is the wiser. With Yule, I have to hide behind Christmas.

I supose being a Southern Hem pagan, and celebrating Sabbats with the seasons, I don't get this luxury.

I look forward to Samhain because I it's a time where everything is amplified for me. I feel magick more effectively, I cast magick more effectively. It also is a time of retrospection for me, and give me a momment to take a while out of my day and re-avalutate my goals and where I want to be going... a mental clear out that happens twice a year for me.

Rosana
September 8th, 2005, 04:56 AM
What is it about Samhain that excites us? What makes Samhain the more attractive Sabbat of them all? Why Samhain?

I don't know :D I love Midsummer! Every time I look out the window and see the fading light of the sunset, I'm almost depressed - I must bear the upcoming winter :blech:

I think that people are drawn to Samhain because it's the most paganish Sabbat :) The night if the witches, the peak of their power, thinning veil between worlds... Maybe it's then when we feel the closeness of the Otherworld?

mucgwyrt
September 8th, 2005, 05:43 AM
:whatgives its the only one which hasn't been christianised and is still a part of mainstream culture - ? :whatgives

I dont know; I dont really celebrate it to be honest. Guili/Yule is my "favourite" :)

elfmage
September 8th, 2005, 06:07 AM
Personally I'm more a Mabon person. I like Samhain because it's a fantastic time for divination, and that's my speciality.

bbnflpn
September 8th, 2005, 06:15 AM
i have only been pagan for a short time and this will be my second halloween as a witch. but halloween was always my favorite time of year. it has always been special in my family we would plan way in advance for what we were gonna be that year. i liked beeing somthing else for a day i guess. usually something dead. (some faves were the dead mouse, and dead skunk in the middle of the road) i probably wont have much money this year so i will go to my old stand by costume "devil in a blue dress" and celebrate the sabbat with my coveners for the first time. (since last year i got stuck in a laundery mat washing tents) i am real excided cause it will be my first true halloween as a witch (since all the tent washing last year) i can hardly wait

SnowyMoon
September 8th, 2005, 07:18 AM
I usually start to get giddy around late August, and that usually lasts until early to mid November. I can't put my finger on it. This time of year just fills me with joy and energy. The colors, the changes in action that are so apparent. The ending of one year and the beginning of another. :smileroll It is just an energy-packed time of year, or at least I seem to feel that way. :bigredgri I can't wait to feel the crisp autumn air and smell the fragrance of fall leaves that turn the colors that resemble most precious jewels to me. Nothing beats the sight of fall leaves against a clear, cool autumn sky. Then, once the leaves are gone, the sight of the barren tree branches against skies is breathtaking to me. The change in the way the sunlight hits the earth on accentuates the beauty if it. The grasses are a deeper green and become tipped with browns and golds. Colors deepen, become richer. Can you tell I just love it? :T

Rick
September 8th, 2005, 09:18 AM
I have noticed every single year, that many Pagans are very excited about Samhain months in advance. Once Autumn is just around the corner, the Samhain talk and planning begins.

Candy

MercysFallen
September 8th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Autumn is my favorite season so that's why for me. I agree It's a "Pagan" season as well for me!

Ren

coyoger
September 8th, 2005, 09:58 AM
It's the only time of the year I feel that I can be free to be me. I love the colors, I love to decorate, I love everything about it. I suppose it may have something to do with my mom loving Christmas, but I don't think that has much to do with it. It's just fun, and it brings on the winter, and I love winter!

LostSheep
September 8th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Yes, I think even though I've only just begun to regard to myself as a pagan, autumn has always been my favourite season, so I'm drawn to something that celebrates it rather than regarding it as something not to be liked because winter's on the way.

Semele
September 8th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Candy

Hey you get out of my head..I was gonna say chocolate!

I think it is the combo of candy and costumes..what else could you want? Bobbing for apples? Ok, we shall do that too!

Seriously, I think it is the whole embracing the darkness.

Zoritsa_Nepenthe
September 8th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Fall and Halloween have always been my favorite time of year,long before I learned of Paganism.The cooler weather,changing colors and over all feeling that energizes me.I look forward to decorating my home in the seasonal colors...which are my favorites and then of course being able to have some fun with the spooky aspect of ghosts and goblins is something I delight in too :steppy:

Etoile
September 8th, 2005, 12:15 PM
It's always been my favorite time of year, and growing up, Halloween was always my favorite holiday. Most little girls wanted to be a princess or a ballerina, but I always wanted to be a witch. In fact, when I was little and stayed home sick from school, I'd dress up in my costume and watch "The Worst Witch" movie (no matter what time of year it was). :apumpkin:

bbnflpn
September 8th, 2005, 04:47 PM
i remember the worst witch. my sister had to watch that movie every day. i think she had a crush on tim curry.

aluokaloo
September 8th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Hey you get out of my head..I was gonna say chocolate!

I think it is the combo of candy and costumes..what else could you want? Bobbing for apples? Ok, we shall do that too!

Seriously, I think it is the whole embracing the darkness.

with or without the massive stomachaches and mondo dental bills? I think Halloween is a favorite time for dentists too, its there season of prosperity. :bigblue: Other then that, i don't celebrate the Sabbats and esbats, i'm not even into the "traditional" holidays anymore.

LostSheep
September 8th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Fall and Halloween have always been my favorite time of year,long before I learned of Paganism.The cooler weather,changing colors and over all feeling that energizes me.I look forward to decorating my home in the seasonal colors...which are my favorites and then of course being able to have some fun with the spooky aspect of ghosts and goblins is something I delight in too :steppy:

You put your finger on it there for me. It amuses/annoys me when people automatically assume that we all like hot, sunny weather ... count me out of that. I think it's because summer is a season when not much happens, when people just laze around ... autumn has always seemed to me the season when things begin.

Shanti
September 8th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Actually for me the first day of spring is the most exciting time!!
The start of a new growing year. Hope for a successful harvest. Life awakening!! Its the best! :)

I like fall too. Its the harvest. Time to reap whats been sewn. Time to prepare for the long rest of winter.

Samhain just happens to land at a seasonal time when I am just finishing my prep for winter. So for me its a good time to commune with nature. A good time to plan for the winters spiritual goals and to reflect on the past spring and summer.
Its like a break between the busy and quiet times. A time of reflection.

Thats why I dont get into the dressing up or trick or treat or anything. Its a season celebration for me. Its the end of the harvest locally!! :)

Teresa
September 8th, 2005, 05:48 PM
For me it is the thinning of the veil and fellowship with my loved ones who have passed on.It also is the end and beginning of the year a time for a fresh start and a better outlook than the past year. Maybe because I am an optimist? The weather is so pleasant this time of year for me and I actually get out more and enjoy nature and do things.I do not dress up or trick or treat but I love to decorate my home with fall things.( Indian corn,gourds,pumpkins,pomegranets ,mulling spices ,yummmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm

Copperaven
September 8th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Candy

lol

this is my favorite time of year always has been always will be, things seem clearer and I myself am better able to focus

Greybird
September 8th, 2005, 07:29 PM
A couple of reasons - I'm not bashing Christianity here, but we don't have a lot of holidays that are just ours - Samhain is one of the few that hasn't had a Christian holiday laid on top of it. What we do on Samhain remains unique, then, and thus, more 'pagany' as others have said.

Second, one can't forget our subconscious. We love to humor our romantic side - thus all the trappings and such. It is what allows us to interact with the possibilities of magic, divinity, divination, and all of our other fond things. Samhain hits the romantic muse straight on the nose when it comes to us Wiccans. In other words, when we feel more pagany, we are more pagany.

Pagany.

Pagany.

Funny word, that.

Sun_and_Saturn
September 8th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Honestly, the only answer I can give is that I feel my own spirit stiring. Don't know why, exactly, I just do. I also feel it around equinoxes and solstices, but I feel it even more around Samhain than any other pagan holiday that I celebrate. Perhaps it has something to do with the veil between the 2 worlds being the thinest. I really don't know. I do like the answer that someone gave about being more "pagan-y" and no one is none the wiser about it. :D

Agaliha
September 8th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Even before I was Pagan and even before I knew anything about Paganism and Samhain I loved Holloween. I was born in Autumn, three days after the Equinox and I have always felt at home and most at peace during the autumn months. I get excited when August ends because I know Autumn is coming. When I was growing up I didn't know about Mabon and I never did any Pagan things for the Equinox. I just knew it was a special and spiritual time for me. Same with Samhain. I loved the decorations, the stories, the feel. The candy didn't really matter to me. It was the energy and emotion it gave me and I felt.
It was only after I found Paganism (6 yrs. ago) and the sabbat known as "Samhain" that I learned all the symbolism and things attached to it that I wasn't aware of when I was growing up.
I don't really do anything extravagant, I just love the time and season.
I bought some more autumn decorations today from Michaels...they had a sale. Now my Altar is a shrine to Autumn time-- my favorite time ever. (I plan on do the same form all the seasons too...which means I must visit Michaels and thrift stores though out the year!)
It's not more attractive to me for any other reasons than my feeling and memories I had when I was little. I had thirteen yrs to "fall in love" with Holloween before I even knew the Pagan aspect.
But Mabon and Samahain are my favorites...

StarCraftLia
September 9th, 2005, 05:39 AM
w

wicked_craft
September 9th, 2005, 09:36 AM
hahahha, wow

Peri
September 9th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Maybe because it is celebrating the death, it brings us closer to the spirit world, those who've died- we all feel connected as one and that makes us all happy on a subconcious level?

i like that thought. makes sense to me. snowymoon, i also like how you described the energy of autumn, and i agree.

for the most part, i am all about summer and hate winter, but samhain is my favorite holiday. it's the holiday when i feel the magic and energy most strongly - like it's just buzzing in the air, from the moment i wake up in the morning, and all through the day and night.
to me, samhain is a time for wild parties, crazy costumes, sugar highs, laughter and dancing through the darkened streets at night...AND a time for sacred ritual, reflecting on the past year and setting intentions for the new one, and honoring my deceased loved ones and ancestors - especially my grandmother, because samhain is her birthday. she died several years ago, and i greatly cherish the love and wisdom she shared with me. i feel connected to her on the day when the veil between the world's is thinnest, the day that marks the anniversary of her birth.

pyewacket
September 9th, 2005, 08:09 PM
i am an autumn baby..even tho i wasnt born in england..tee heee

A crisp cold day with sunshine..the beauty of the colours against the sky....the smell of the earth..
Who can resist kicking their way through the autumnal gown laying on the earth?

The power around because of the thinning veil..the surge of it flowing through every nerve and fibre...

from the ages of 6 my girls were halloween addicts..but it wasnt a popular thing here..
Always my house is where everyone sent their kids to dress up...eat..drink gassy pop....play games with food resembling body parts...and trick n treating.
my house was the only one in the area decorated..black refuse sacks adorned walls and ceilings..colured light bulbs for eerie effect plus decorations..it was fun...

older..sicker..we decorate but not like that..games are gone....but we dress up..scare the trick or treaters....leave plates of fave foods out for those whove passed and place a lit candle in the window to help a visit..
good ole horror movies...but we revel in the closeness of death celebrating the wonder of life..makes me feel closer to my past incarnations too.
the end of one year..the beginning of the next..what a rush..plus then you know its not long till yule!!

AlAskendir
September 9th, 2005, 08:18 PM

It's the one where:
.........if any doubts have arisen over the year, they are all blown away and we are confirmed in who we are and what we believe;
........we are contacted by the gods and goddesses we have agreements with, willwe, nillwe;
........we can most easily perceive the relationship between our beliefs and the turning of the season and its effects upon the world;
.......we get to see how we have changed and how we plan to or need to change more;
.......we inherit a bit of cultural programming in terms of 'dress up scarey or dress up mystically and get a lot of candy from adults you don't know!'.

In my opinion.

RubyRose
September 10th, 2005, 07:05 AM
I supose being a Southern Hem pagan, and celebrating Sabbats with the seasons, I don't get this luxury.

I look forward to Samhain because I it's a time where everything is amplified for me. I feel magick more effectively, I cast magick more effectively. It also is a time of retrospection for me, and give me a momment to take a while out of my day and re-avalutate my goals and where I want to be going... a mental clear out that happens twice a year for me.

While that's true, being in the Southern Hemispher does have its downside, but it can also mean you get twice the holidays. The Commercial ones like Halloween, Easter and Christmas, and then the Pagan Sabbats. At least that's the way I like to think of it.

CajunLady
September 12th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Fall as been my favorite time of the year forever. Halloween as been my favorite holiday forever. Once I became Pagan and realized what Halloween truly was about, I got more into. And really as of late because I followed Hekate and it's one of Her nights. Besides, what's not to love and get all happy about more than black cats, ghosts and candy? LOL I think partially too it has to do with the darkness that surrounds the holiday..not meaning all the lights are out. But the thinning between the worlds and such. I've already got my first pumkin--bought it on Saturday. I hope to get a few more between now and then!!! Oh and it's almsot time to start the yards decorations!! YAY my first holiday in my new house!!!

Windsmith
September 14th, 2005, 11:21 AM
There's such anticipation in the air! Because I've chosen it to mark my "spiritual new year," I get the same feeling as when I crack open a new journal to write in - vast, uncharted territory with limitless possibility. Certainly I'm more likely to keep resolutions I make at Samhain than ones I make on January 1. And everything seems to hum - maybe because the boundaries between worlds are so insubstantial then; it's like I can feel the essential resonances of all the dimensions, not just this one. Makes doing magic a lot easier - and a lot less predictable! :aburst:

I was the first kid in my school to stop wearing Halloween costumes and trick-or-treating. I'd like to say that, even at that tender age, and still a practicing Christian, I was aware of the deep spiritual significance the day would someday hold for me. Alas, I was just a little snot who wanted to pretend I was more mature than the other kids.

And then, of course, Samhain is also the countdown to NaNoWriMo!

mothwench
September 14th, 2005, 11:36 AM
The begining and the end of the People year.

that's only true for celtic-y pagans and wiccans. for others, yule is the turn of the year, and probably other festivals like the spring equinox, too.

stella01904
September 14th, 2005, 12:01 PM
that's only true for celtic-y pagans and wiccans. for others, yule is the turn of the year, and probably other festivals like the spring equinox, too.MM ~ Not for the Strega! That would be Shadowfest, i.e., Samhain, Halloween...
It is the SUPREME best time of year!
1) The veil is thin! You can almost reach out and touch the people you miss most.
2) It's not brutally hot, or brutally cold. The air is crisp and nice.
3)As someone already mentioned, it's the only Pagan holiday that has been mainstreamed but not xtianised.
4)It's the only holiday where your workload isn't tripled waiting on spoiled government workers and city employees who have the day off while you hurt all over and don't even get holiday pay. (Then to add insult to injury they ask you "How was your holiday?")
5)MUCH BETTER TELEVISION. Shows featuring Witches, mediums, dowsers, etc.
6)It sure is cheaper than Xmas, which is nothing but a giant ordeal and consumer feeding frenzy.
7)You can find black candles in the store! Even in a Fundieland town like this one! Stock up!
Also figure candles - skulls, Witches' hats, etc.!
8)MULLED CIDER!
9)Reflection - slowing down, gathering inwardly...ahhhh, sweet relief!
BB, Stella

mothwench
September 14th, 2005, 12:35 PM
MM ~ Not for the Strega! That would be Shadowfest, i.e., Samhain, Halloween...
It is the SUPREME best time of year!

really? i had no idea. thanks for that bit of info. :smile: now, strega is what, italian... right? :hmmmmm:
do you have any articles handy, in your bookmarks maybe, that are about the new year in strega? i'd like to read up on that.

Haerfest Leah
September 14th, 2005, 03:40 PM
This time of year just feels different, it makes me relaxed.

Calen
September 14th, 2005, 04:10 PM
I find it much easier to get excited about things when I can share it with lots of people. I may not be able to share the particulars of my celebrations with everyone else as they get excited for Halloween, but seeing everyone else going all yaycandycostumes makes it easier for my to get in my giddy groove too, and I can talk about the particulars with my Pagan friends.
I've always loved Halloween, and really, my timing was really good...just as I got to the age where people really expected me to stop trick-or-treating, I found a whole new way to celebrate the holiday!

Lynleigh
September 14th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Like many others have said, fall is my favorite time of year. Everything is so beautiful, I love the colors. And again, like many others, Halloween has been my favorite holiday since I was a child (since way before I knew anything about paganism).