PDA

View Full Version : Interesting "request" from Fema to the Press

Darakash
September 8th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I was checking out the latest news, and found and article about the sad fact that 30 bodies were found in a nursing home in N.O.....and buried in the article, almost at the bottome was this tidbit:

"There were signs of impatience from federal officials as well -- theirs was directed at news coverage of the disaster. FEMA has excluded journalists from recovery expeditions and asked them to not take pictures of the dead, drawing protests from press-freedom advocates."

hmmm, no, we wouldn't want people to see the REALITY of the situation, now would we?

Danustouch
September 8th, 2005, 12:57 PM
I read that account of the 30 bodies found in that hospital too. And heard that one of the nurses had wandered back to the hospital after, and when they found him, he was catatonic. His mind had completely broken down, by what he saw.

PaganLibrarian
September 8th, 2005, 01:09 PM
I can, to a certain extent, see why you wouldn't want the press taking pictures of the bodies and printing them. How would you like to find out one of your relatives was dead when you saw their bloated corpse on the front page?

Darakash
September 8th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I can, to a certain extent, see why you wouldn't want the press taking pictures of the bodies and printing them. How would you like to find out one of your relatives was dead when you saw their bloated corpse on the front page?

Yeah, that thought occurred to me as well, shortly after I posted this; however, it strikes me that the general tone of the request was more about "not focusing on the death aspects" I could be just getting too damned cynical at this point though...it has been known to happen.

Darakash
September 8th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I read that account of the 30 bodies found in that hospital too. And heard that one of the nurses had wandered back to the hospital after, and when they found him, he was catatonic. His mind had completely broken down, by what he saw.

Oh, that is awful....I give so much credit to the people that are there witnessing this! I don't know how you do it without going catatonic, to be quite frank.

lynn271
September 8th, 2005, 02:02 PM

I imagine there's a lot of that going on. I bet a lot of the people who won't leave the area, for example, have lost their minds to some extent and are just incapable of thinking rationally.

As for the press reporting the death and destruction in graphic detail, well, we need to know it! Put pictures of dozens of bloated, half-rotted bodies floating in the muck on the front page and on the evening news (obscuring the faces perhaps, out of respect) so everyone can SEE for themselves what can happen to them or their families if they don't evacuate before a big bad storn. Run it again every time another big storm forms before it hits land. Local, state and federal officials ought to be made to look at them too, so they can have that picture in their minds when making their disaster plans.