PDA

View Full Version : Allen will replace FEMAs Michael Brown

WynterWynd
September 9th, 2005, 03:00 PM
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad Allen will replace Michael Brown, the embattled FEMA director, as the on-site head of hurricane relief operations in the Gulf Coast, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff announced at a news conference in Baton Rouge Friday afternoon.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/09/katrina.washington/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/09/katrina.washington/index.html)

Shanti
September 9th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Brown should be removed if you ask me. The guy never had any past work experience that even remotely made him prepared for the job period. I dont get how unqualified people can even be appointed to such important positions. There should be some kind of app process for these things. This appointing my friends, friend stuff should not be allowed!

Xander67
September 9th, 2005, 03:55 PM
YEAH let's let someone who actually knows what they are doing in there.!

I'd hate to be in Brown's shoes....

BlueMoon13
September 9th, 2005, 04:00 PM
No kidding....I don't know what's going to come first;tar and feathers, or pitchforks and torches :wtf:

WynterWynd
September 9th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Now they are asking on CNN....should Brown be made to totally step down from his or any position at FEMA?

Well......D'uh!!!!http://photobucket.com/albums/v228/VroomBroom/Smilies/th_doh.gif

Doctor Jeep
September 9th, 2005, 05:46 PM
No kidding....I don't know what's going to come first;tar and feathers, or pitchforks and torches :wtf:

Being a Bush supporter, it's hard to get used ot the idea of accountability, huh?

He's not the only one to blame, but he was obviously a poor leader. Why shouldn't he be removed?

WynterWynd
September 10th, 2005, 04:09 AM
There's lots of people that have some accountability in what went wrong with the handing of this disaster, but I dont' think the trickle-down theory is going to reverse polarity and trickle all the way back up to nail Bush for anything.........that would be too much to ask in one lifetime.

Dark Phoenix
September 10th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Being a Bush supporter, it's hard to get used ot the idea of accountability, huh?

He's not the only one to blame, but he was obviously a poor leader. Why shouldn't he be removed?

Brown should have never been named to the post to begin with but thats besides the point, personally I think he should be sent packing and I'm sure Bush can find him a new job.

PaganLibrarian
September 10th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Everytime I see this thread I think it says "Alien will replace FEMAs Michael Brown" just for a second.

WynterWynd
September 10th, 2005, 02:47 PM
:lol: an alien could have done a better job than Brown:p

Anjelsheart
September 10th, 2005, 05:48 PM
:lol: an alien could have done a better job than Brown:p

Very true. I have been watching CNN this morning & Allen seems to be starting to get things done (finally), a week & a half to late as far as I am concerned!

PaganLibrarian
September 10th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Depends on the alien. I don't think I'd want Alf in charge...

Saggitario
September 10th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Depends on the alien. I don't think I'd want Alf in charge...
Yeah, he'd eat all the MRE's... Definately not good.

I vote for Gazoo
http://www.insidejoke.tv/images/200111/Gazoo2.gif
Though, he's probably not a Republican, so the chances of him being nominated are nil.

Lunacie
September 10th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I've been reading that FEMA cannot go into a disaster area until the local folks (city, county, state) request that, and that the request did not come from Louisana until Dubya went to look and said "Get in here." Apparently Mississippi did request FEMA's help.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

lynn271
September 10th, 2005, 11:54 PM
I've been reading that FEMA cannot go into a disaster area until the local folks (city, county, state) request that, and that the request did not come from Louisana until Dubya went to look and said "Get in here." Apparently Mississippi did request FEMA's help.

I'm not sure about the red-tape rules and restrictions, but it's telling that Bush actually had to go there himself before he knew what was going on. He wasn't getting the information of how bad it was from the people at FEMA and DHS.

lynn271
September 10th, 2005, 11:59 PM

I got no sympathy for Brown. No one put a gun to his head and made him take the job. He had to have known he wasn't qualified, and he took it anyway. Anyone with that kind of arrogance deserves public ridicule. It might just make the next political crony that's offered a job for which he has no relevant experience think twice before taking it.

Lunacie
September 10th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Well, if FEMA wasn't allowed into the area how could they report on the situation?

This whole situation is such a huge snafu that I'm not sure it will ever be untangled. And I'm damn sure that no one in any of the government positions will ever admit responsibility.

singer
September 11th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Three days ago there was an article on the Yahoo News page confirming that State FEMA officials had blocked Federal FEMA aid in an attempt to force folks to evacuate... unfortunately, I am no longer able to find that story in the archives...

However, today I read here (www.aspentimes.com/article/20050905/NEWS/109050013/-1/rss01) that according to a Louisiana Parish President... the issue wasn't even one of requesting aid from FEMA on either the State or Federal levels, but rather FEMA actively blocking ANY aid from getting to them...

Far from deferring to state or local officials, FEMA asserted its authority and only made things worse, said Aaron Broussard, the president of Jefferson Parish, south of New Orleans. When Wal-Mart sent three trailer trucks loaded with water, FEMA officials turned them away, he said. Agency workers prevented the Coast Guard from delivering 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel, and on Saturday they cut the parish's emergency communications line, leading the sheriff to restore it and post armed guards to protect it from FEMA, Broussard said on "Meet the Press" on NBC.